Today's Activity - Smoking a Brisket

IWreckALot
Edited Date/Time 4/12/2020 3:56pm
My company laid off around 15% of our company Monday. Been working from home for about a month and that has been the silver lining i this fiasco to me. I survived the layoffs fortunately but it's a real bummer to have it hit that close to home.

Decided to dust off the ole smoker this morning and get a brisket going while I work. Going old fashion with just salt and pepper. The wife pressure washed the pool deck and back patio yesterday and I got the yard mowed. The pool has been green and it's finally starting to come around. Going to work on the garden this afternoon and hopefully get some veggies going this week. No mid week slump for me.

|
newmann
4/8/2020 6:16am Edited Date/Time 4/8/2020 6:17am
You already letting that new pool go green?Sick

Don't let the water get too far out or you'll be etching the crap out of the plaster.

I am sure we will be getting play by play updates on the prep and cooking throughout the day, correct???
IWreckALot
4/8/2020 7:36am
newmann wrote:
You already letting that new pool go green?:sick: Don't let the water get too far out or you'll be etching the crap out of the plaster...

Don't let the water get too far out or you'll be etching the crap out of the plaster.

I am sure we will be getting play by play updates on the prep and cooking throughout the day, correct???
It's been clear all winter but now that the weather is heating up, it got a little green. It's almost back to normal.

The lid on my inline chlorinator was stuck so I had to weld up a little handle to get more leverage on it. So it'll be getting a constant stream of chlorine this year again.

The last few times I've smoked I had a problem controlling the temp so I've been adding a handful of charcoal every 30 min instead of dumping a bunch of charcoal every two hours. So far it's working really well. I also soaked the wood in water overnight so it burns slower.

Here is where we're at right now.

IWreckALot
4/8/2020 7:51am
Dirtydeeds wrote:
You gonna use the crutch to get ya through the stall?
I normally leave it on the smoker for about 5 or 6 hours and pump as much smoke as I can and then I'll move it into the oven until it's good and done.

The Shop

TXDirt
4/8/2020 8:19am
Dirtydeeds wrote:
IWreckALot wrote:
I normally leave it on the smoker for about 5 or 6 hours and pump as much smoke as I can and then I'll move it...
I normally leave it on the smoker for about 5 or 6 hours and pump as much smoke as I can and then I'll move it into the oven until it's good and done.
That’s what I do as well with long smokes. Can’t wait to see the progress with it! Post pics!

General Smoking Note: If the smoke is white color then you have too much wood or the wood is wet. You want to see the smoke coming out as what’s called “hot and blue”. You won’t see a lot of smoke. But it will be hot and have a slight blue’ish color. That is when you are getting optimal smoke flavor on the meat. You won’t get this with wet wood. White or grey smoke billowing out will leave a lot of black suit buildup on the meat. Depending on the wood you use it can be pretty bitter too. I’ll put on about 2-3 chunks of dry wood every hour. Each chunk is about the size of a fist or smaller. So I don’t really use much wood. Just enough to maintain that hot blue color.
newmann
4/8/2020 8:30am
Dirtydeeds wrote:
IWreckALot wrote:
I normally leave it on the smoker for about 5 or 6 hours and pump as much smoke as I can and then I'll move it...
At what point/temp do you wrap it in butcher paper? At what temp do you pull it off the grill and throw it in a cooler? One of the guys here at work is over the top into his BBQ. Amazing stuff he drags up here from a weekend of drinkin and grillin...Smile
Dirtydeeds
Fantasy
2892nd
4/8/2020 8:31am
Dirtydeeds wrote:
IWreckALot wrote:
Copy. I dont use the crutch either. I just ride it out, keeps the bark nice n crispy! Enjoy!
Dirtydeeds
Fantasy
2892nd
4/8/2020 8:33am
Dirtydeeds wrote:
IWreckALot wrote:
newmann wrote:
At what point/temp do you wrap it in butcher paper? At what temp do you pull it off the grill and throw it in a cooler...
At what point/temp do you wrap it in butcher paper? At what temp do you pull it off the grill and throw it in a cooler? One of the guys here at work is over the top into his BBQ. Amazing stuff he drags up here from a weekend of drinkin and grillin...Smile
I leave on the smoker til *204. Then wrap in a few layers of foil and towels and stuff in the cooler upside down for an hour or two. Perfect every time!
Dirtydeeds
Fantasy
2892nd
4/8/2020 8:34am
Dirtydeeds wrote:
IWreckALot wrote:
TXDirt wrote:
That’s what I do as well with long smokes. Can’t wait to see the progress with it! Post pics! General Smoking Note: If the smoke is...
That’s what I do as well with long smokes. Can’t wait to see the progress with it! Post pics!

General Smoking Note: If the smoke is white color then you have too much wood or the wood is wet. You want to see the smoke coming out as what’s called “hot and blue”. You won’t see a lot of smoke. But it will be hot and have a slight blue’ish color. That is when you are getting optimal smoke flavor on the meat. You won’t get this with wet wood. White or grey smoke billowing out will leave a lot of black suit buildup on the meat. Depending on the wood you use it can be pretty bitter too. I’ll put on about 2-3 chunks of dry wood every hour. Each chunk is about the size of a fist or smaller. So I don’t really use much wood. Just enough to maintain that hot blue color.
What smoker you runnin?
TXDirt
4/8/2020 8:44am
Dirtydeeds wrote:
What smoker you runnin?
I have a small offset smoker I got at Academy about 12 years ago. They are not very expensive. Pretty nice for the money.

This is what mine looks like. It’s sold under various brands with varying materials. But same design. I have an older model that has a little better material.

I would like something a little bigger. But this thing holds quite a bit and I’ve gotten pretty consistent with it. Still solid as a rock over a decade later.

newmann
4/8/2020 8:51am
IWreckALot wrote:
newmann wrote:
At what point/temp do you wrap it in butcher paper? At what temp do you pull it off the grill and throw it in a cooler...
Dirtydeeds wrote:
I leave on the smoker til *204. Then wrap in a few layers of foil and towels and stuff in the cooler upside down for an...
I leave on the smoker til *204. Then wrap in a few layers of foil and towels and stuff in the cooler upside down for an hour or two. Perfect every time!
I'll bet yours looks just like this when done...Smile

Me, all bark and tough as nails. Burnt ends in the middle. Blush

Dirtydeeds
Fantasy
2892nd
4/8/2020 8:56am
newmann wrote:
Dirtydeeds wrote:
I leave on the smoker til *204. Then wrap in a few layers of foil and towels and stuff in the cooler upside down for an...
newmann wrote:
I'll bet yours looks just like this when done...:) Me, all bark and tough as nails. Burnt ends in the middle. :blush: [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2020/04/08/418153/s1200_IMG_3467.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2020/04/08/418151/s1200_IMG_3476.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2020/04/08/418152/s1200_IMG_3478.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2020/04/08/418154/s1200_IMG_3479.jpg[/img]...
I'll bet yours looks just like this when done...Smile

Me, all bark and tough as nails. Burnt ends in the middle. Blush

Yes sir! Nice n juicy. So good considering what a shitty cut of meat brisket really is.

TXDirt
4/8/2020 8:58am Edited Date/Time 4/8/2020 8:59am
I haven’t smoked a brisket in years. It’s just one I’m not great at. I can do ribs, chickens, porkbutts, sausage, etc all day long. But a good brisket has been elusive for me. And with how much they cost I don’t have money to amend learning.

Maybe I’ll give it another go next time I’m at the store.

You are inspiring me guys!!!
HackMan162
4/8/2020 9:14am Edited Date/Time 4/8/2020 9:15am
I did a 2-day cook the other day. Smoked for about 5-6 hours until it hit 165, then double foil wrapped and into the cooler for a couple hours. Refrigerator overnight. Took it out in the morning for a couple hours on the counter, then into the oven for 5-6 hours on 275 until it hit 203 internal temp. Tried something new this time, threw it on a 500+ degree grill for a few minutes each side and crispened up the bark.
This way of cooking it was a huge success. Sorry, forgot to take pics, but it turned out the best I have ever had.

I've got a pork butt coming tomorrow in a Sams Club order, so that is on deck this weekend! I'll try to remember to take some pics.
Dirtydeeds
Fantasy
2892nd
4/8/2020 9:27am
Dirtydeeds wrote:
What smoker you runnin?
TXDirt wrote:
I have a small offset smoker I got at Academy about 12 years ago. They are not very expensive. Pretty nice for the money. This is...
I have a small offset smoker I got at Academy about 12 years ago. They are not very expensive. Pretty nice for the money.

This is what mine looks like. It’s sold under various brands with varying materials. But same design. I have an older model that has a little better material.

I would like something a little bigger. But this thing holds quite a bit and I’ve gotten pretty consistent with it. Still solid as a rock over a decade later.

Make sure you get a left hander! Wink
I’m sure its an old folklore but I’m sold on it. Haha
jeffro503
4/8/2020 9:33am
newmann wrote:
You already letting that new pool go green?:sick: Don't let the water get too far out or you'll be etching the crap out of the plaster...

IWreckALot wrote:
It's been clear all winter but now that the weather is heating up, it got a little green. It's almost back to normal. The lid on...
It's been clear all winter but now that the weather is heating up, it got a little green. It's almost back to normal.

The lid on my inline chlorinator was stuck so I had to weld up a little handle to get more leverage on it. So it'll be getting a constant stream of chlorine this year again.

The last few times I've smoked I had a problem controlling the temp so I've been adding a handful of charcoal every 30 min instead of dumping a bunch of charcoal every two hours. So far it's working really well. I also soaked the wood in water overnight so it burns slower.

Here is where we're at right now.

Thing of beauty. Gawd I love brisket! Good luck man , and glad to hear you're staying busy.
IWreckALot
4/8/2020 9:38am
Dirtydeeds wrote:
IWreckALot wrote:
newmann wrote:
Well, I was running a little low on charcoal so I smoked it for 4 hours and into the oven it went. I'll cook it till 200ish and then pull it out and let it rest.

I like the idea of seering it on the grill once it's ready to eat. I do that with ribs but never thought to do it with a brisket.
FLmxer
Fantasy
905th
4/8/2020 11:35am
Another cool trick with the charcoal is make a thisn snake like chain of coals around outer edge and only light the one end. It will slowly burn for a good while. Looks amazing fellas. If I could I would head on over. 😄
Motox627!
4/8/2020 11:38am
HackMan162 wrote:
I did a 2-day cook the other day. Smoked for about 5-6 hours until it hit 165, then double foil wrapped and into the cooler for...
I did a 2-day cook the other day. Smoked for about 5-6 hours until it hit 165, then double foil wrapped and into the cooler for a couple hours. Refrigerator overnight. Took it out in the morning for a couple hours on the counter, then into the oven for 5-6 hours on 275 until it hit 203 internal temp. Tried something new this time, threw it on a 500+ degree grill for a few minutes each side and crispened up the bark.
This way of cooking it was a huge success. Sorry, forgot to take pics, but it turned out the best I have ever had.

I've got a pork butt coming tomorrow in a Sams Club order, so that is on deck this weekend! I'll try to remember to take some pics.
Im going to need to taste that to confirm! I would say bring some to Murphy's, but that's out of the question for now...…. SadSad
MXant15
Fantasy
729th
4/8/2020 12:44pm Edited Date/Time 4/8/2020 12:46pm
HackMan162 wrote:
I did a 2-day cook the other day. Smoked for about 5-6 hours until it hit 165, then double foil wrapped and into the cooler for...

How would you rate that brisket on the tender scale? I’m interested to hear if it was equally tender or if there was any notable difference?
G-man
4/8/2020 1:00pm
WoW! You guys are making me HUNGRY!!!!!Cheerful

LOOKS GOOD! Tongue
tcannon521
Fantasy
1398th
4/8/2020 3:12pm
I went to Franklin’s BBQ in Austin back in January. It took a week to get over the meat sweats!!

MXant15
Fantasy
729th
4/8/2020 4:48pm Edited Date/Time 4/8/2020 4:48pm
^^^One day I’ll make the voyage to franklins!! I’ve watched all of his youtube videos and yeah.... bucket list for this California kid.
IWreckALot
4/8/2020 4:58pm
This is the first day it’s been hell working from home. I haven’t had anything since some Kellogg’s cereal this morning and I’m absolutely starving. On top of that, all I could smell all day was brisket. I’ve been having to dig up the garden and drink beer with the neighbor just to get out of the house and away from the smell. Absolute hell I tell you. It’s another hour before The wife gets home. (No pics of the wife).

The brisket looks and smells delicious. The samplers are also great. Curious how tender it’s going to be towards the center. I only got it up to 197 before I pulled it out so hoping it’s tender enough. Going to get the grill going and seer it before we eat. But the samplers are great so far.

tcannon521
Fantasy
1398th
4/8/2020 5:22pm
IWreckALot wrote:
This is the first day it’s been hell working from home. I haven’t had anything since some Kellogg’s cereal this morning and I’m absolutely starving. On...
This is the first day it’s been hell working from home. I haven’t had anything since some Kellogg’s cereal this morning and I’m absolutely starving. On top of that, all I could smell all day was brisket. I’ve been having to dig up the garden and drink beer with the neighbor just to get out of the house and away from the smell. Absolute hell I tell you. It’s another hour before The wife gets home. (No pics of the wife).

The brisket looks and smells delicious. The samplers are also great. Curious how tender it’s going to be towards the center. I only got it up to 197 before I pulled it out so hoping it’s tender enough. Going to get the grill going and seer it before we eat. But the samplers are great so far.

Hopefully it turns out great. I’ve never seared one after cooking it. I would be worried about losing the bark. I usually get through the stall (6 hours approximately) then wrap and transfer it to the oven at 225° for another 1 to 3 hours. I have a GMG pellet smoker and during the first 6 hours it’s uncovered at 275°.

What temp do you cook at?
TXDirt
4/8/2020 6:27pm
Looks great wreck!! I bet it smelled great all day!!

Post a reply to: Today's Activity - Smoking a Brisket

The Latest