Thoughts on our nations homeless situation....solutions?

Related:
Create New Tag

10/16/2019 7:41 AM

I listen to Daniel Blair and producer Joe’s main main show weekly. Since they are based in Northern California they speak about the homeless population there often. They tossed out some jaw dropping numbers numbers yesterday. 2000 homeless people in 2009. 21,000 homeless people in 2019. 2.6 billion dollars allocated in 2018 to “fix homelessness”. My question is what has caused this? What is some solutions to fix this, and what is the homeless situation in the area where you live? I live in North Texas, and honestly rarely see homeless people. I also live in a rural area and try to avoid metro areas when possible. I’d imagine the climate here discourages homeless people. Thoughts?

|

10/16/2019 8:03 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/17/2019 11:14 PM

1. To start with - Get rid of the drug dealers...

|

10/16/2019 8:35 AM

Do your part to help out.

Keep in mind, most homeless people are suffering from a mental illness, and most importantly: people with a mental illness, and the homeless, are more likely to be the victim of a violent crime than a perpetrator.

I've been meeting and hanging out with homeless people for years and have never once felt in danger or been threatened.

Where I work there is often extra food around, and for the past few months I've been taking the extra out to the two dudes who live under the bridge behind my building. One of the guys, John, usually asks me "Did you eat yet?" before taking any of the food.

Another guy I used to help out, Roger (passed away last year, RIP) used to draw silly faces on rocks he found and sell them for $1 to get money. Roger ended up homeless after killing the man who raped his sister, resulting in his own life spiraling out of control after being released from prison.

One of the most meaningful things you can do is ask them their name... most people ignore them every day. This simple gesture reminds them that at least some of us still see them as a human worth acknowledging.

Thanks for starting this topic.

|

10/16/2019 9:05 AM

Wells423 wrote:

I listen to Daniel Blair and producer Joe’s main main show weekly. Since they are based in Northern California they speak about the homeless population there often. They tossed out some jaw dropping numbers numbers yesterday. 2000 homeless people in 2009. 21,000 homeless people in 2019. 2.6 billion dollars allocated in 2018 to “fix homelessness”. My question is what has caused this? What is some solutions to fix this, and what is the homeless situation in the area where you live? I live in North Texas, and honestly rarely see homeless people. I also live in a rural area and try to avoid metro areas when possible. I’d imagine the climate here discourages homeless people. Thoughts?

I have noticed more homeless people in the last few years. I have no idea why that is. I'm not sure what you think you will get by posing your questions here but you will get something. My answer for you is to look up organizations that work with homeless people and/or study the statistics. That's what I will do because I have wondered the same thing. Why the recent spike?

|

10/16/2019 9:29 AM

Boomslang wrote:

|

10/16/2019 9:56 AM

I’m in San Diego county and can’t really say I’ve noticed any more today than I did 20 years ago when I moved here. I don’t know what the official numbers are. I do see more when traveling through LA area. Did see a few tents on my trip to Oregon this week. O do hand out $$ if I have that on me but honestly I can’t say that’s the best thing to do. The majority of them that I run across and have any verbal engagement, I can tell I’m just feeding their drug/alcohol addiction. We do have a lot of “homeless” people in our area who I refer to as the professional homeless group. The ones that beg on the corner or at the market and then hop n their car at the end of the day.

The rents where we r are outrageous. $2,000 a month for small apartments. So I don’t see it getting any better in the foreseeable future. We rent out a room to my hard working son/fiancé and also a young lady who also works her ass off yet can not afford a place of her own. I pay less for my mortgage on a pretty large house than my son would have to pay for a small apartment in a dangerous neighborhood.

I have no idea on what is the solution. I’ll be interested to check on this topic and see people’s ideas

|

10/16/2019 9:58 AM

Homelessness : small government capitalism :: mass shootings : 2A

Homelessness is the fallout from a society that allows the freedom to be homeless.

|

10/16/2019 10:04 AM

The "working homeless" is the biggest increase it seems to me. People who hold down a job but can't afford to live in the area that they work. I had an employee who was a department manager for me who was living out of her car in the Lynnwood/Edmonds area. As a single mother she couldn't afford housing near where the store was and was on a wait list for Section 8 or whatever housing services she was applying for. 60 years ago this sort of position would have been enough income to support a full family of 4 with the white picket fence, and the non-working spouse at home with the kids.

This graph shows manufacuring jobs, but the gist is the same.

|

10/16/2019 10:14 AM

Nearly three years after Los Angeles voters approved a $1.2 billion bond program to build up to 10,000 housing units for the homeless, an audit has found that no units have been made available and there are only 19 projects under construction across the city.

Meanwhile, costs per unit set to be built are rising dramatically.

In a report released Tuesday, City Controller Ron Galperin said the 10-year plan under Measure HHH hasn’t lived up to its promise because of the high price of construction, stalled approvals and regulatory barriers.

“While 19 projects are under construction and two are scheduled to open in the coming months, it is clear that the City’s HHH program is not keeping pace with the growing demand for supportive housing and shelter,” the audit stated.

Measure HHH, which passed with more than 77% of the vote in 2016, was meant to build units that would cost about $350,000 to $414,000 each. But the audit has found 1,000 of the units cost $600,000 or more.

The median cost of each unit is $531,000, and now only 7,640 units are set to be funded, according to the audit. All of the funds from the measure have already been allocated to 114 projects, the audit stated.

https://ktla.com/2019/10/08/l-a-s-1-2-billion-bond-measure-to-combat-homelessness-not-keeping-pace-with-growing-need-for-housing-audit/

Dysfunctional Government waste isn't going to solve anything.

|

10/16/2019 10:51 AM

This site shows the breakdown of who the homeless are in LA county.
Homeless

It's not what I expected.

|

10/16/2019 11:08 AM

It's so complicated. A lot of these people have to hit rock bottom and decide when to pull themselves out. Shelters are going to require them to be sober, and that's a big issue for a lot of them. I have had homeless women tell me that they don't feel safe in the shelters, so they live in there cars instead.

They passed a new law in California where if homeless people come to the ER we have to make sure they have appropriate clothing, a way to get their medications, food, and transportation to a real address. But 9 times out of 10, they just take the free things and walk out before we arrange transport. If we taught them to fish instead of handing them fish it would make more sense, but an over burdened system can only handle so much. We have had people sit in the ER for a week waiting for a spot in a shelter, most of the time they don't even get in.

In a related story, we bought some land in San Diego county with plans to build on it. by the time we passed all the inspections, and paid all the fees, we were probably going to have to add about $100,000 to the price of the house. They wanted the road to be paved, the road to a be certain width, an inspection on top of another inspection, etc. So we are still on the fence about that. Instead we moved to a small mountain town that gets all four seasons and is a lot more affordable. Might just hold onto the land and sell it to the next victim.

|

Instagram: vanillaice782
Amateur helmet painter

10/16/2019 11:20 AM

Wells423 wrote:

borg wrote:

I have noticed more homeless people in the last few years. I have no idea why that is. I'm not sure what you think you will get by posing your questions here but you will get something. My answer for you is to look up organizations that work with homeless people and/or study the statistics. That's what I will do because I have wondered the same thing. Why the recent spike?

I guess more curiosity than anything else. I have some opinions on it. Some humane some not so much. I try to not form hardened opinions on things that don’t really affect my life. I feel for the ones who’s situation is beyond their control. I worked in Dallas for a short stint and befriended two homeless vets in a rough part of town. I often took them food and gave them some spending money. They both seemed to be grateful for the gesture. Most of the homeless people I encountered in Dallas were very aggressive in the way they panhandled. 90% of the time if I asked if they wanted me to buy them food they’d be pissed and walk off. I recently watched the documentary Seattle is dying, and was shocked at how many laws had changed to help create the rise in homelessness and drug abuse. It’s a shame. Like I said I feel for some of the people on the streets, I feel for the businesses and homeowners affected by the situation. The only thing I’ve learned for certain in life is throwing wads of cash at a problem never fixes anything. I’m not sure giving someone who’s life has clearly fallen off the wagon a new house will fix it. There again I’m sure there are some that it would. I honestly have no idea the solution, was just more curious on others thoughts and opinions.

|

10/16/2019 11:26 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/16/2019 2:08 PM

In the last two years the number of homeless camps along our bike trails and in our parks in Kent has skyrocketed. It seems like Seattle is running out of room for homeless camps so now they are moving to the suburbs. This year when the weather turned nice in March I started riding my bike again, and I started documenting the homeless camps, related messes, and illegal dumping I came across in pictures and maps. Those were sent to Kent City officials including our mayor, and sent also to the Kent Police Department. In general the areas where homeless camps & messes came under the jurisdiction of the City of Kent that I reported got cleaned up pretty quick. But camps and messes under the jurisdiction of King County never got cleaned up all summer long.

I also placed many of my photos on this web page,

http://www.ahrmanw.com/Green_River_Trail_2019.htm

And we have a park and hiking trail here in Kent, the Mill Creek Canyon Earthworks Park & Hiking Trial, which has about 100% more homeless camp messes than I came across all summer long on my bike rides. We are hearing that the mayor of Kent is proposing $400,000 in next year's budget to clean up that area. So that will be passed on to the property tax payers in 2021 I am sure. The following Facebook photo album shows the mess along that trail.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=oa.2898973860129600&type=3

I will add that I have picked up much trash myself on my bike rides this year.

|

“Adhering to 1970’s Standards of Political Correctness”

10/16/2019 4:15 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/16/2019 4:18 PM

Wells423 wrote:

It’s a tough situation. I think the attractive climate drives a lot of homeless to LA and San Francisco.

How to fix it? If they build homes, more will come which creates more homeless and costs. Do you buy them bus tickets out? Arrest them? I don’t know honestly.

Let’s look at data:

San Francisco population: 7,800,000
Homeless: 28,000
Homelessness per capita: .0035

Los Angeles county population: 10,000,000
Homeless: 60,000
Homelessness per capita: .006

The gross numbers are huge but when you break it down per capita it isn’t as bad as it sounds. Take a city with 150,000 people. If they have 900 homeless people then they have the same amount as LA. The stats for San Francisco would be 539 people.

I bet most cities even the ones with a lot less favorable climate than LA or San Francisco have just as high homelessness per capita. The large gross numbers and negative CA articles create clicks, so that’s what news/websites focus on to drive traffic.

|

10/16/2019 4:25 PM

borg wrote:

This site shows the breakdown of who the homeless are in LA county.
Homeless

It's not what I expected.

Not what I expected either. The fact that only 15% of LA's homeless population is because of substance abuse is pretty eye opening to me. I guess I just have a stereotype of most homeless people being junkies or alcoholics.

|

10/16/2019 7:26 PM

Casting wrote:

Keep in mind, most homeless people are suffering from a mental illness, and most importantly: people with a mental illness, and the homeless, are more likely to be the victim of a violent crime than a perpetrator.

I've been meeting and hanging out with homeless people for years and have never once felt in danger or been threatened.

Where I work there is often extra food around, and for the past few months I've been taking the extra out to the two dudes who live under the bridge behind my building. One of the guys, John, usually asks me "Did you eat yet?" before taking any of the food.

Another guy I used to help out, Roger (passed away last year, RIP) used to draw silly faces on rocks he found and sell them for $1 to get money. Roger ended up homeless after killing the man who raped his sister, resulting in his own life spiraling out of control after being released from prison.

One of the most meaningful things you can do is ask them their name... most people ignore them every day. This simple gesture reminds them that at least some of us still see them as a human worth acknowledging.

Castings.....if I could have given you a 1000 thumbs up , I would have. Good on you man , for helping people like that. I haven't gone to that extent , but there are a few beggar guys I've helped out a little. One guy in particular , war veteran , missing a leg with a prostetic , and on his sign he has his company and division # along with the time he served. He's an ex- desert Storm guy. I saw him a lot around the same area for about a year , and would give him money every time I could. Just down on his luck , and guy who fought and almost died for our country. I had no problem giving him some coin when I had it.

|

And there goes Jeffro. One of God's own prototypes. A super high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

Pimpin' Ho's , Rollin' fatty's......drinkin' beers , beers , beers!! ~ Ja

10/16/2019 7:28 PM

Boomslang wrote:

Boomslang.....I got banned for 3 months for something not as bad as this. Might wanna edit.

|

And there goes Jeffro. One of God's own prototypes. A super high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

10/16/2019 7:30 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/16/2019 7:37 PM

One thing that sticks out is some of these people can not find a job due to lack of residence. Employers want an address. I'm going out on a limb here so I'll expect a bit of judgement. I left So Cal in 98. Moved to Portland. After 9 months of working as a laborer for a plumbing company I got laid off. I got $82 a week unemployment. That was not enough to pay my rent and other bills. I wanted to prove to myself I could stand on my own two feet at twenty one years old. I packed my tools, and my clothes and bought camping gear. I camped for about a two month period along the Sandy river in Oregon. I will say it was cold AF in February. But I bought groceries wisely, kept my fishing tackle up and as shitty as it was I made it. I did keep my cell phone on. One day I got a call to come back to work. Because I was a rehire, lack of address wasn't an issue. I scraped by and saved for a deposit on an apartment.
If I can make it fishing for food and living along a river, I think many of the people panhandling can make it as well. Its very easy to sit on a corner and hold a sign asking for money. I don't give them money. I'll hand them an apple or a bottle of water. That's my way of being decent. There isn't one answer to the problem. There never will be. I just remember I was once there and try showing some compassion for the ones that look like they could use a gesture of kindness.

|

10/16/2019 7:39 PM

Casting wrote:

jeffro503 wrote:

Castings.....if I could have given you a 1000 thumbs up , I would have. Good on you man , for helping people like that. I haven't gone to that extent , but there are a few beggar guys I've helped out a little. One guy in particular , war veteran , missing a leg with a prostetic , and on his sign he has his company and division # along with the time he served. He's an ex- desert Storm guy. I saw him a lot around the same area for about a year , and would give him money every time I could. Just down on his luck , and guy who fought and almost died for our country. I had no problem giving him some coin when I had it.

I'm almost always skeptical of guys using vet status to ask for money, but if your guy really is a vet, point him towards the VA. I have friends rated at 100% disability from a lot less than missing limbs, and they're pulling down $3k/month tax free. If it's substance abuse/addiction that caused him to be homeless, the VA can also help get him into a treatment center.

|

10/16/2019 8:25 PM

Sully wrote:

I'm almost always skeptical of guys using vet status to ask for money, but if your guy really is a vet, point him towards the VA. I have friends rated at 100% disability from a lot less than missing limbs, and they're pulling down $3k/month tax free. If it's substance abuse/addiction that caused him to be homeless, the VA can also help get him into a treatment center.

That's maybe what happened to him , I'm not sure. Like I said , he was around the same city blocks for about a year , but that was over a year ago. I haven't seen him since , and really hope he found a stable place to live. He never looked like he was strung out on something or drunk or anything like that , so honestly I'm not sure why he was on the street.

|

10/16/2019 9:52 PM

|

“Adhering to 1970’s Standards of Political Correctness”

10/17/2019 4:13 AM

Boomslang wrote:

jeffro503 wrote:

Boomslang.....I got banned for 3 months for something not as bad as this. Might wanna edit.

Would it be better to replace "shooting" with "removing". Drugs are a major source of the problem, regardless of what feel good stats say.

Just giving a couple of dollars to a homeless person does nothing but makes you feel better about yourself and encourages the behavior. Of course every situation is different, but wouldn't you rather serve a larger community than just one or two? If you really want to help, volunteer at a shelter, or donate money to a shelter so they can help more people and families.

If the numbers keep going up, and politicians keep throwing $millions at the problem, obviously that isn't the right solution. I don't have the solution either, I just know the current course is the wrong course.

There isn't a huge number of homeless where I live, but it's very seasonal so summers see more. I've seen some things in my life regarding homelessness that I'll never forget, most recently last Christmas season in Argentina. I won't even describe it here.

|

No Signature.

10/17/2019 4:45 AM

Well if we all had to pay cash for a home, the problem would be bigger don't you think? There is your problem, fix that.

|

10/17/2019 4:58 AM

My girlfriend works at an assistant living facility and moved this elderly lady in that was homeless, one month later she just moved out. said she liked living on the streets. Most of the time in STL, you can tell the real homeless people. They never ask for anything, those are the ones I help out.

|

10/17/2019 6:21 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/17/2019 6:22 AM

Here in Cleveland I can say that I see less people sleeping on the sidewalks downtown and at the 22nd St mission.
I do see allot of scammers at highway exit ramps.

I say scammers as I have them at my neighborhood highway ramps.
I have seen them park their fairly new cars nearby an casually walk to their job at the highway ramp.
That or their friend drops them off and parks.

So I bicycled over to the highway one day snd there was one scammer sitting near the highway so I went over to chat.
He seemed unbothered by my asking him questions.
I asked how much he makes in a day and $300 on average and allot of water was his response.

Local police cannot do anything because the ACLU filed and won a court case against arresting panhandlers in the city.

I have spoke to my councilmen and suggested they use vagrancy loitering or littering to remove tge scammers . Just last nite I saw police towing the one scammers car and arresting him at the highway.

Dont get me wrong I feel for the people sleeping on the sidewalks I see daily but the highway scammers I do not.

|

10/17/2019 7:17 AM

ohiomotoxer wrote:

Here in Cleveland I can say that I see less people sleeping on the sidewalks downtown and at the 22nd St mission.

I have seen them park their fairly new cars nearby an casually walk to their job at the highway ramp.

So I bicycled over to the highway one day snd there was one scammer sitting near the highway so I went over to chat.
I asked how much he makes in a day and $300 on average and allot of water was his response.

Local police cannot do anything because the ACLU filed and won a court case against arresting panhandlers in the city.

I have spoke to my councilmen and suggested they use vagrancy loitering or littering to remove tge scammers . Just last nite I saw police towing the one scammers car and arresting him at the highway.

Dont get me wrong I feel for the people sleeping on the sidewalks I see daily but the highway scammers I do not.

We have the same here. Watched a guy standing at a busy exit ramp to a popular shopping area on the nice end of town. Had a backpack on the ground and was holding a sign. Another guy walks out of a Hilton just off the exit, comes over and takes the sign and assumes his position behind the backpack and the original guy walks back and goes into the Hilton. They take different shifts, and the backpack is just a prop.

|

10/17/2019 7:18 AM

Neuter and spay liberals

|

10/17/2019 8:10 AM

hillbilly wrote:

Neuter and spay liberals

genuine LOL

|

10/17/2019 8:51 AM

|

10/17/2019 9:20 AM

ohiomotoxer wrote:

SEE ARE125 wrote:

We have the same here. Watched a guy standing at a busy exit ramp to a popular shopping area on the nice end of town. Had a backpack on the ground and was holding a sign. Another guy walks out of a Hilton just off the exit, comes over and takes the sign and assumes his position behind the backpack and the original guy walks back and goes into the Hilton. They take different shifts, and the backpack is just a prop.

Yep, scams.they ruin it for people that really need it. Donate time , not $$.

|