Thoughts on a limited reopen?

sandtrack315
4/21/2020 7:43am
borg wrote:
Some actual data that gives a more accurate denominator to the death rate.
Antibody test
These studies are very important. We (scientific community) are still grappling with trying to correct for population differences and false positive rates in the tests, but the hope is that many more people do indeed have antibodies for the virus. This is good, because it means the death rate is lower, and herd immunity is a more realistic path.
sandtrack315
4/21/2020 7:45am
Research labs at UPenn are considering a slow roll-back to getting back to our labs. The plan now is for 25 percent of members of each lab to return at any given time. We have to wear masks anytime we are on campus. My lab mostly does computational stuff and most of us can work from home, but the experimental people are pushing to get back as soon as possible.
KennyT
Fantasy
280th
4/21/2020 7:51am
We've got over a million vehicles just sitting doing nothing. Amazing how things can be going so great one minute and how prepared you can be...
We've got over a million vehicles just sitting doing nothing. Amazing how things can be going so great one minute and how prepared you can be for any natural disaster you could imagine, and the next minute bam! The smartest guy in our shop was about to hit his 20 year anniversary in the company in a couple more weeks, gone. My boss and my boss's boss, gone. Several other good coworkers, gone, along with many many other people across the company. Not sure how I made the cut, had to be selection by darts. I'm getting a pay cut which I don't mind but it's not going to be fun around here any time soon.
Where do you work if you don’t mind me asking?
XXVoid MainXX
4/21/2020 9:28am
We've got over a million vehicles just sitting doing nothing. Amazing how things can be going so great one minute and how prepared you can be...
We've got over a million vehicles just sitting doing nothing. Amazing how things can be going so great one minute and how prepared you can be for any natural disaster you could imagine, and the next minute bam! The smartest guy in our shop was about to hit his 20 year anniversary in the company in a couple more weeks, gone. My boss and my boss's boss, gone. Several other good coworkers, gone, along with many many other people across the company. Not sure how I made the cut, had to be selection by darts. I'm getting a pay cut which I don't mind but it's not going to be fun around here any time soon.
KennyT wrote:
Where do you work if you don’t mind me asking?
I would rather not say although it might be obvious from what I've already said. I don't believe anyone else has those kinds of numbers.

The Shop

shuggs
4/21/2020 9:40am
Well the UK has another 3 weeks of lockdown to go. I personally don’t have an issue with that but after this time cannot see any reason why things should be a bit more relaxed.

One big query I have is why there are still airlines operating?? Surely if we are in lockdown there should not be thousands of people coming into the country?????

A bit on local news - talk about flying in up to 5000 Eastern European workers for fruit picking season (locals won’t do it as it’s minimum wage & crap working conditions) - cannot make this up.
Sierra Ranger
4/21/2020 11:03am
Damn, that sucks. The wider economic crisis is going to be a doozy. They kind of replaced one crisis with another one.
4/21/2020 1:26pm
It is necessary. I’m of the mind that it’s best to just gas it. WFO for the states past the peak. At some point the majority...
It is necessary. I’m of the mind that it’s best to just gas it. WFO for the states past the peak. At some point the majority of people will require it from their represented officials.

And sue the shit out of the Chinese government for financial damages, etc. to the tune of a few trillion.
Ferro wrote:
Let me know how you get on with suing the Chinese. You think they would pay up, yeah me neither.
This isn’t about a financial settlement where they just hand over a check. Of ‘course they won’t pay. Seize their property in the states for starters - don’t think we can seize bank assets too? Throw up sanctions on countries that play ball with them. Show the world who they really are. Take away their status - that’d really screw them. The suing in court is a formality - I don’t think they’ll ever admit to wrong doing.

This isn’t a pipe dream, I can almost assure you its being put into place and considered by every free nation on the planet.
Barrett57
4/21/2020 1:36pm
shuggs wrote:
Well the UK has another 3 weeks of lockdown to go. I personally don’t have an issue with that but after this time cannot see any...
Well the UK has another 3 weeks of lockdown to go. I personally don’t have an issue with that but after this time cannot see any reason why things should be a bit more relaxed.

One big query I have is why there are still airlines operating?? Surely if we are in lockdown there should not be thousands of people coming into the country?????

A bit on local news - talk about flying in up to 5000 Eastern European workers for fruit picking season (locals won’t do it as it’s minimum wage & crap working conditions) - cannot make this up.
It's not as simple as the locals won't do it, there's more to it than that.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/a…
newmann
4/21/2020 2:14pm Edited Date/Time 4/21/2020 2:14pm
shuggs wrote:
Well the UK has another 3 weeks of lockdown to go. I personally don’t have an issue with that but after this time cannot see any...

Have you looked at the numbers that the airline industry is losing per day? Holy hell, United losing 100 million per day in sales, Delta burning 50 million cash per day. I'd have been toast well before waking up on day one.
jeffro503
4/21/2020 2:41pm
So I have had a few emails this morning going back and forth with Oregon fish and wildlife. And what I found out was , if I can find a way to get into the water without going through a park , boat ramp or dock.....I'm free to crab and fish all day long , and the police can not stop me. Our stupid bitch governor Kate Brown tried to actually close all fishing and crabbing , and the marine and wild life division told her to pound sand! We were also told by another idiot that we weren't even allowed to use our private dock and ramp , as to go out in a boat to fish and crab......which is also bullshit. So yes!.......this is a good day! The governor can shut down 98% of the access , but guess what....we only need 2% to get my ass back in the water and slay tons of fish and crab!! Dear Kate Brown....go eat huge bags of dicks!
just James
4/21/2020 3:05pm
jeffro503 wrote:
So I have had a few emails this morning going back and forth with Oregon fish and wildlife. And what I found out was , if...
So I have had a few emails this morning going back and forth with Oregon fish and wildlife. And what I found out was , if I can find a way to get into the water without going through a park , boat ramp or dock.....I'm free to crab and fish all day long , and the police can not stop me. Our stupid bitch governor Kate Brown tried to actually close all fishing and crabbing , and the marine and wild life division told her to pound sand! We were also told by another idiot that we weren't even allowed to use our private dock and ramp , as to go out in a boat to fish and crab......which is also bullshit. So yes!.......this is a good day! The governor can shut down 98% of the access , but guess what....we only need 2% to get my ass back in the water and slay tons of fish and crab!! Dear Kate Brown....go eat huge bags of dicks!
As for our governor's diet, I am pretty sure it prefers carpet.
jeffro503
4/21/2020 3:12pm
jeffro503 wrote:
So I have had a few emails this morning going back and forth with Oregon fish and wildlife. And what I found out was , if...
just James wrote:
As for our governor's diet, I am pretty sure it prefers carpet.
Haha James , you are probably 100% correct. Gawd I hate that woman!
Nighttrain
4/21/2020 3:25pm
I just arrived home from work. Beach opened today at noon. Hell yea!!! I’ll be surf fishing at sunrise on Saturday.

4/21/2020 3:33pm
I'm torn on a limited reopen. My industry is essential and we've actually been busier. My household has not been exonomically impacted yet like many others. I try to be respectful because I can't imagine how hard its to being ok Feb March to looking for a food bank in April. That being said I have two people I know (relative and a coworker) get knocked down by this virus. One is going home today with an oxygen bottle and dialysis appointments (apparently renal failure is a symptom) the other is in the ICU. Both healthy before both have family with it that are fine dealing with minor symptoms at home. If I can avoid spinning this deadly roulette wheel by hunkering down I will. I can't pay the bills if I'm dead anyhow.
borg
4/21/2020 3:40pm
Nighttrain wrote:
I just arrived home from work. Beach opened today at noon. Hell yea!!! I’ll be surf fishing at sunrise on Saturday. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2020/04/21/422011/s1200_107CFAD6_0176_461A_9FC5_444CFE43868D.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2020/04/21/422012/s1200_76EE60D0_2BAE_4BA8_9A66_9200B2464D5A.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2020/04/21/422013/s1200_E1701646_8D5A_4E0F_B404_75DF4B0B28F5.jpg[/img]
I just arrived home from work. Beach opened today at noon. Hell yea!!! I’ll be surf fishing at sunrise on Saturday.

I see some people about 1200 yards down the beach. You are taking unnecessary risk and endangering the entire country. Everybody will die if you don't stay in your house. It's people like you that make these rules necessary.
Blah blah blah blah blah.

I hope I covered it. Let me know if I left something out.
tcannon521
Fantasy
1417th
4/21/2020 4:06pm
I would rather not say although it might be obvious from what I've already said. I don't believe anyone else has those kinds of numbers.
It has to be some sort of rental car company. I can’t think of any other industry not CA tech (Uber/lyft) related with that kind of fleet.
71Fish
4/21/2020 4:23pm
Nighttrain wrote:
I just arrived home from work. Beach opened today at noon. Hell yea!!! I’ll be surf fishing at sunrise on Saturday. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2020/04/21/422011/s1200_107CFAD6_0176_461A_9FC5_444CFE43868D.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2020/04/21/422012/s1200_76EE60D0_2BAE_4BA8_9A66_9200B2464D5A.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2020/04/21/422013/s1200_E1701646_8D5A_4E0F_B404_75DF4B0B28F5.jpg[/img]

From a distance that looks like my dog.

I feel a new dog thread coming.
Tarz483
Fantasy
583rd
4/21/2020 7:07pm
tcannon521 wrote:
It has to be some sort of rental car company. I can’t think of any other industry not CA tech (Uber/lyft) related with that kind of...
It has to be some sort of rental car company. I can’t think of any other industry not CA tech (Uber/lyft) related with that kind of fleet.
Wouldn't it be expected that people will go back to their jobs after this is over?
newmann
4/21/2020 7:19pm
tcannon521 wrote:
It has to be some sort of rental car company. I can’t think of any other industry not CA tech (Uber/lyft) related with that kind of...
Tarz483 wrote:
Wouldn't it be expected that people will go back to their jobs after this is over?
There are going to be a lot of businesses that won’t reopen from this fiasco. And a whole hell of a lot more that will come back slower than others.
tcannon521
Fantasy
1417th
4/21/2020 7:19pm
Tarz483 wrote:
How long till it’s over? Will it die off on its own in the next 60 days or will we be dealing with it for another 18 to 36 months till we get a vaccine?

The economy in my opinion is as much psychological as anything. If people get concerned or reserve once this is over it may take many years for the average consumer to forget this pain and suffering. I will say, the longer it goes the longer it takes to come back.
Ted722
4/21/2020 8:53pm Edited Date/Time 4/21/2020 9:30pm
I work at a fortune 100 company with employees worldwide. Through this shelter-in-place, we’ve been creating content, preparing for new product releases, training customers, converting trade shows to virtual format, etc.

Latest messaging:
- the V (down, then up again quickly) recovery hoped for looks more like a U.
- projections look like it will take at least 12 months to get back to “normal”
- WFR’s (work force reductions) are a possibility
sandtrack315
4/22/2020 4:52am
tcannon521 wrote:
How long till it’s over? Will it die off on its own in the next 60 days or will we be dealing with it for another...
How long till it’s over? Will it die off on its own in the next 60 days or will we be dealing with it for another 18 to 36 months till we get a vaccine?

The economy in my opinion is as much psychological as anything. If people get concerned or reserve once this is over it may take many years for the average consumer to forget this pain and suffering. I will say, the longer it goes the longer it takes to come back.
Most likely the 1-2 years until we get a vaccine.
NvHermit
Fantasy
4303rd
4/22/2020 7:00am
My son is a fireman and his wife is a paramedic and they say the corona is hitting the 30-40 healthy age group around here hard. One of the shifts at the fire house was exposed with one fireman contacting and being hospitalized and my daughter in-law has administered 5 positive tests. They have a friend that is vented and fighting for her and her infected daughter's life that she just gave birth to. My local VA also has had a few employee deaths from young healthy people.

The graphs and charts say older people are at a greater risk but young healthy people are also getting really sick and dying from the corona.

newmann
4/22/2020 7:16am
What about all these young people who had f'd up lungs because they were vaping? That industry had a large portion of its products shut down and pulled from the market just prior to the kung flu ramping up.
JAFO92
4/22/2020 7:22am
newmann wrote:
What about all these young people who had f'd up lungs because they were vaping? That industry had a large portion of its products shut down...
What about all these young people who had f'd up lungs because they were vaping? That industry had a large portion of its products shut down and pulled from the market just prior to the kung flu ramping up.
Anyone who has been sucking anything into their lungs but regular O2 will have diminished pulmonary ability, period. You cant smoke pot, cigarettes, vape or do anything else to those alveoli and expect them to function at their peak.
NvHermit
Fantasy
4303rd
4/22/2020 7:38am
What about people that suck anything besides H2O into their system ?

I'll be on 5 mile hike today at 8200' with my vape pen in my pocket. I'm not looking for peak performance, I'm just out for a good time. So to each their own, pick your poison.

Post a reply to: Thoughts on a limited reopen?

The Latest