Thinking of cutting the cord with Direct TV.

jeffro503
Edited Date/Time 4/10/2016 5:22pm
Lately I've found myself spending a lot more time on my HTPC than I have actually using my direct TV. I'm thinking about getting rid of it completely and just using streaming sites , such as HULU , and some other non-pay type sites.

Any of you guys kind of already doing this? And what's your favorite cheap to free type media outlets you may use? What's your favorite software ( if you use any ) for streaming.

I am paying around $150.00 for the big supremo package from DTV , and I have to because the sports channels for MX and SX are up in the higher cost packages they sell. Christ my last 2 month bill was like $330.00 freakin' dollars.

I need to find something where I can get my local channels , sports channels and some movie channels.
|
hillbilly
4/7/2016 9:56am
That is why we split the bill here. Had direct set up 6 receivers at one house then I brought 3 of them here and put up my own dish and multi switch.

They dont know where that receiver is unless a phoneline is hooked to it.

My comcast buddy had taken out several direct units and he gave my all the hardware i needed,bunches of it.
TailSoHard
4/7/2016 10:01am Edited Date/Time 4/7/2016 12:34pm
I did this same thing last month. Dropped Dish, bought a nicer TV antenna from Best Buy to get all my local channels, have an Apple TV for Netflix & Hulu, and throw my buddy a couple bucks a month for his Charter Login so I can watch Supercross. Stream it right from the iPad to the Apple TV.

Works like a charm and it's a grand total of $25/month. Netflix/Hulu have more stuff on them than I have time to watch, so I don't miss Dish at all
Dtat720
4/7/2016 10:22am
Yep, apple tv and mirror the livestreams to my tv. Add a $40 digital antenna from walmart and you have all your locals. I have my moms att uverse info to livestream when i need to. Otherwise, netflix, youtube, hulu.... I bought a roku tv and it is all installed on the tv except apple, it was $40 for the box. I spend $45 a month including wifi
SEE ARE125
4/7/2016 10:38am Edited Date/Time 4/7/2016 10:39am
Get a PS4. Their cheapest TV package includes FS1, FS2, and NBCSports, and it's only $29/mo. Subscribe to Netflix and Hulu(both also available on your PS4) and you've pretty much got everything.

The Shop

JRT812
4/7/2016 12:20pm
Dtat720 wrote:
Yep, apple tv and mirror the livestreams to my tv. Add a $40 digital antenna from walmart and you have all your locals. I have my...
Yep, apple tv and mirror the livestreams to my tv. Add a $40 digital antenna from walmart and you have all your locals. I have my moms att uverse info to livestream when i need to. Otherwise, netflix, youtube, hulu.... I bought a roku tv and it is all installed on the tv except apple, it was $40 for the box. I spend $45 a month including wifi
Same here. We were tired of paying for crappy customer service from comcast. Unfortunately, we still have to pay for their internet because we haven't found anything else that will come to our house. Giving them 34 dollars a month is better than 200. Apple tv and netflix. I mirror the race to the tv and upgraded my bandwith, which helped with the lag.
freeh
4/7/2016 1:38pm
SEE ARE125 wrote:
Get a PS4. Their cheapest TV package includes FS1, FS2, and NBCSports, and it's only $29/mo. Subscribe to Netflix and Hulu(both also available on your PS4)...
Get a PS4. Their cheapest TV package includes FS1, FS2, and NBCSports, and it's only $29/mo. Subscribe to Netflix and Hulu(both also available on your PS4) and you've pretty much got everything.
PS4 is a Playstation 4 or something else?
SEE ARE125
4/7/2016 1:56pm
SEE ARE125 wrote:
Get a PS4. Their cheapest TV package includes FS1, FS2, and NBCSports, and it's only $29/mo. Subscribe to Netflix and Hulu(both also available on your PS4)...
freeh wrote:
PS4 is a Playstation 4 or something else?
Yeah, a Playstation 4. Might seem like an expensive device to watch TV on, but when you have a $200/mo tv bill, a PS4 will pay for itself pretty quick. Then of course you can play games and watch DVDs, too. lol
yak651
Fantasy
192nd
4/7/2016 2:01pm
Man wish I had decent internet options by me, stuck with DirectTV for now, can't wait for the day I can call them to cancel...
NV825
Fantasy
2740th
4/7/2016 2:28pm
It's amazing how many useless channels are on DirecTV. I have bunny ears that get me local channels in HD, Apple TV & Xbox One to play Netflix, and kick my parents a little cash to use their login info to get on apps like Fox Sports Go and NBC Sports Extra for my moto fix.
4/7/2016 6:44pm
Dump it and just get Netflix and use EZTV to download whatever show you want. I started Live streaming the races in HD this year they are not perfect because my good computer got stolen but they are the best on the internet so that's all you need. I did it for a whole year and didn't miss Direct TV at all I just got it back so I could post the streams for people.

You can watch the races on two channels I run this is the live stream channel - http://www.dailymotion.com/cbmracing
This is the Race replay channel. Most Races are up before the event is over - http://www.dailymotion.com/CBM-RACING
S.Loyer
4/8/2016 1:12am Edited Date/Time 4/8/2016 1:23am
I got an Amazon Fire.

That came with Prime for a year, but I dont even watch anything on Prime, Not sure why. I had a few issues with it saying "Included with Prime" and then had to dispute charges with them sooooo I guess thats actually why but they were always cool to make it right.

I use the 7.99 Netflix plan, I don't need HD its not big deal to me. But Netflix is one I use the most far as Apps on the fire, I also enjoy my spotify with it.

I then bought an app for 2 dollars that can stream my MacBook to my TV.

I use a program called Stremio Its a torrent program that allows you to watch when they download, has a beautiful interface and trust worthy. I use it mainly for movies but its great for TV too.

If by any chance I cant find something that Stremio doesn't have (Typically old series) I use Movie4k for movies and The Watch series for TV. I always have adblocker on and watch where I click on these though.

Sometimes I just like noise in the background like Sienfeld or something and I use an App called Crackle, it serves ads but its free and still less commercials than normal TV. And that way I dont burn out my favorite shows on Netflix or ruin a new series by not watching it.

I have been thinking about paying for Sling TV for 20 bucks a month you get pretty much all the good channels on TV and kick in a bit more still under $30.00 you get anything you need but Fox Sports I think. The idea with this is, I just like the noise aspect and you get a Free Roku when you sign up with them and I want one for my office.

So yeah that is my setup. With the Fire TV and netflix, my bill for this year this far is 120 bucks? and just adds 7.99 a month.
4/9/2016 10:25am
All that shit above is why I have nothing anymore.

I have a Samsung TV. No Apple TV. No Roku Tv....what the fuck are these anyway? Why cant one TV play whatever you want? Can someone explain?

Sounds like PS4 is cool...at least you can play Blu-Rays also?

I dumped Direct last year. Couldnt justify the cost to watch a race on Sat night.

Does the PS 4 need an internet or hardline phone connect to work?
hillbilly
4/10/2016 2:03pm
I used something called a firestick for the first time last nite.

Had feeds out the ass. Watch sx and mxgp today plus MotoGP.
MX558
4/10/2016 5:22pm
We're dumping Dish also, we have Hulu, amazon prime, Netflix and best of all Kodi . Realistically I get everything on Kodi but the others are convenient for wifey

Post a reply to: Thinking of cutting the cord with Direct TV.

The Latest