Things to do in Cabo

nytsmaC
Edited Date/Time 1/8/2015 11:30pm
Anyone have any good tips? The Ms. and I are staying at an all inclusive (Barcelo Grand Faro) at San Jose del Cabo from the 24th to 31st. Definitely not looking to spend the whole time beached on the resort.

Is it worth it to rent a car, do a day trip to La Paz? How about Cabo San Lucas, forget the rental and just take transit back and forth?
|
LoudLove
1/6/2015 10:26am
And steer clear of the time-share goons. From the moment you disembark the aircraft they will relentlessly assault you with sales pitches, including "free" rides to the resorts.

But do hit Slim's Elbow Room, the world's smallest bar. It's a right of passage in Cabo.
nytsmaC
1/6/2015 10:41am
Will check that one out, thanks. I've learned my lesson about the timeshare goons, definitely won't fall for that one again!
Homey55
1/6/2015 10:48am
Rent a ponga and catch some dorado, take a glass bottom boat to lover's beach, Cabo Wabo (if it still exists), waverunners (oviously).

The Shop

whyZ
1/6/2015 11:07am
When the wife and I went, I think I enjoyed renting a moped and touring around the most. Snorkeling at Lands End was pretty cool. I'm sure the weather should be fine for swimming this time of year. Go to the docks and look for one of the smaller charter fishing boats. The privately owned guys are the best, they'll take you out, get you a fish and after that a nice booze cruise. They usually keep their boats in very good, clean condition. If you're into the wacky tobacco, just ask the guys renting the jet ski on the beach in front of any resort. Carry spending money in one pocket and police bribe money in another.
bsm121
1/6/2015 12:12pm
Cabo Wabo
Sunset catamaran
Fishing
peelout
1/6/2015 1:20pm Edited Date/Time 1/6/2015 1:23pm
LaPaz is about 1.5 hours north and there's quite a bit to do there. also, on the way to LaPaz there's a little town San Bartolo, great little taco restaurant, highly recommended. i would also definitely drive up to Los Barilles not far from Cabo, cool area with some stuff to do.

fishing would be ok but you'll want to check to see if the fishing is good for the time period you'll be there, costs quite a bit to go if you aren't going to be catching any fish and it uses up pretty much a full day.

when we stayed in LaPaz, we rented bicycles and rode all over town. i'm sure you could do the same in Cabo and you'll get to experience much more of the town than if you walked or rented a car. we were able to get into the outskirts and check out some cool restaurants and bars because we had the freedom to go up/down any road. just be careful, we hit the shady part of town and didn't realize it until it was too late.

ps... if you're riding a bicycle make sure you're not open carrying a Tecate... that one cost me $20US from a friendly policia
skid mark
1/7/2015 5:20am
Go ride
http://offroadbajaadventures.com/
I rode with Andrik a few years ago and it was a fun trip. It's all two track but very scenic and his bikes are in good condition.
We did a loop from San Jose to Pescadero and back. I will see if I can come up with some photo's.
TeamGreen
1/7/2015 6:18pm
peelout wrote:
LaPaz is about 1.5 hours north and there's quite a bit to do there. also, on the way to LaPaz there's a little town San Bartolo...
LaPaz is about 1.5 hours north and there's quite a bit to do there. also, on the way to LaPaz there's a little town San Bartolo, great little taco restaurant, highly recommended. i would also definitely drive up to Los Barilles not far from Cabo, cool area with some stuff to do.

fishing would be ok but you'll want to check to see if the fishing is good for the time period you'll be there, costs quite a bit to go if you aren't going to be catching any fish and it uses up pretty much a full day.

when we stayed in LaPaz, we rented bicycles and rode all over town. i'm sure you could do the same in Cabo and you'll get to experience much more of the town than if you walked or rented a car. we were able to get into the outskirts and check out some cool restaurants and bars because we had the freedom to go up/down any road. just be careful, we hit the shady part of town and didn't realize it until it was too late.

ps... if you're riding a bicycle make sure you're not open carrying a Tecate... that one cost me $20US from a friendly policia
Pfffft...

Here's how I roll on Cabo:

Wheelie thru town.
Pull up at The Office and promptly burn the rear tire off of the bike as PAB shakes his head.
Run into the Ocean (Drop radio, tool-bag & back-pack on a table as you run thru The Office)
Go get PAB and drag his ass into the the Sea
Get out of the water, take soggy gear off and drink Tequila with my freinds.
TeamGreen
1/7/2015 6:35pm
Well, then you want to go in October...somewhere around the 13th...
peelout
1/8/2015 4:24pm
TeamGreen wrote:
Pfffft... Here's how I roll on Cabo: Wheelie thru town. Pull up at [i]The Office [/i]and promptly burn the rear tire off of the bike as...
Pfffft...

Wheelie thru town.
Pull up at The Office and promptly burn the rear tire off of the bike as PAB shakes his head.
Run into the Ocean (Drop radio, tool-bag & back-pack on a table as you run thru The Office)
Wink

TeamGreen
1/8/2015 8:31pm
TeamGreen wrote:
Pfffft... Here's how I roll on Cabo: Wheelie thru town. Pull up at [i]The Office [/i]and promptly burn the rear tire off of the bike as...
Pfffft...

Wheelie thru town.
peelout wrote:
;) [img]http://thechive.files.wordpress.com/2015/01/daily-afternoon-randomness-49-photos-242.jpg[/img]
Wink

How many 450Xs can fit in there?
APLMAN99
1/8/2015 11:30pm
Only been to Cabo once.

Definitely a beautiful place, but compared to other parts of Mexico I've been in it feels a little bit like "SoCal" south. It seems like all the eateries, clubs, and even street vendors do business almost exclusively in dollars, and speak better english than the average 16yo American kid. The fun haggling that you get to do in Puerto Vallarta is practically nonexistent.

I'd still go back just for the beach and the snorkeling, and try to find a way to ride a bit north through some desert if possible, but for my tastes, I'd rather spend time down in the old shops of Puerto Vallarta, or the Mercado Pino Suarez in Mazatlan. There's nothing like seeing 12yo kids carrying half pigs over their shoulders through crowds to get to their shops (which never seem to have running water!) and then finish chopping them up into whatever cuts their customers want.

And Puerto Vallarta is just stunningly beautiful with the jungle setting and the old village.

Enjoy either one, I'm just envious of taking a trip to either..........

Post a reply to: Things to do in Cabo

The Latest