They Shall Not Grow Old.

newmann
Edited Date/Time 3/4/2020 10:14am
|
Nighttrain
12/18/2018 6:47pm
Thanks very much, Newman. I will go see this documentary at the first opportunity. Many war historians say the soldiers of WW1 endured the worst battlefield conditions in history. Dan Carlin’s webcast about the war is incredible.
KDXGarage
12/18/2018 10:30pm
Jeez. Just two days. It should be incredible.
Markee
Fantasy
1890th
12/19/2018 3:09am
What Peter Jackson and his team did with that footage is crazy. Whats even crazier is the fact that a person feels disconnected looking at the old footage, but as soon as you seen something like they put together in this film, its like a punch in the chest telling you those men where yourself and your friends from a different time.
APLMAN99
12/19/2018 5:27am
Can't imagine what it would have been like in those killing fields called trenches, especially when gasses were being used, etc.

The Battle of Chosin in Korea is another that just doesn't seem humanly possible

The Shop

DoctorJD
12/19/2018 6:30am
APLMAN99 wrote:
Can't imagine what it would have been like in those killing fields called trenches, especially when gasses were being used, etc. The Battle of Chosin in...
Can't imagine what it would have been like in those killing fields called trenches, especially when gasses were being used, etc.

The Battle of Chosin in Korea is another that just doesn't seem humanly possible
I'd never heard of the battle of Chosin Reservoir until about 5 years ago. A good friend of mine's dad (who recently passed away) was in the Korean war. His kids knew he was in the war, but that's all they knew, as he wouldn't discuss it. In his last years, they sat down with him and he told them a little more about his time in Korea. He was in the battle of Chosin Reservoir. He tried talking to them about it, but he couldn't get through it without losing it.

I'm pretty well-educated on WWII, but sadly, my knowledge on the Korean war is lacking. I've since done some studying on the subject and watched a couple of documentaries. Brutal. Here's a great documentary on Chosin (sorry for the hijack Newmann)

https://youtu.be/kH-xJxBNuVM
early
Fantasy
2212th
12/19/2018 7:08am
So important to know history. Documentaries are a great way to gain an appreciation for what happened in the past and look into the eyes of people from 50, 100, 150 years ago. I don't think alot of folks today appreciate how much the people of 100 years ago were the same as the people today, but how much different their lives were.
freeh
12/19/2018 9:40am
DoctorJD wrote:
I'd never heard of the battle of Chosin Reservoir until about 5 years ago. A good friend of mine's dad (who recently passed away) was in...
I'd never heard of the battle of Chosin Reservoir until about 5 years ago. A good friend of mine's dad (who recently passed away) was in the Korean war. His kids knew he was in the war, but that's all they knew, as he wouldn't discuss it. In his last years, they sat down with him and he told them a little more about his time in Korea. He was in the battle of Chosin Reservoir. He tried talking to them about it, but he couldn't get through it without losing it.

I'm pretty well-educated on WWII, but sadly, my knowledge on the Korean war is lacking. I've since done some studying on the subject and watched a couple of documentaries. Brutal. Here's a great documentary on Chosin (sorry for the hijack Newmann)

Thanks for posting this. My dad fought in Korea. No idea if he fought in this battle, as he would never speak about his time in war. When he died I learned he had earned several medals for something, but no idea what. Anyway, Korea really is the forgotten war.
Barrett57
12/19/2018 10:26am Edited Date/Time 12/19/2018 10:27am
My great grandad was wounded and taken prisoner in August 1916 at the age of 23 with the Royal Warwickshire Regiment, just another casualty of kitcheners new army that was lost on the Somme. When he came back he got TB. He survived that and was an air raid warden in Birmingham during WW2, as the sirens went and the bombs started falling he would ride around on a push bike making sure people were in cover, as well as recovering them from destroyed buildings.

I also have a relative kia in January 1918 after returning to the trenches after being wounded at the end of 1915.

My other great grandad was in the Royal signals and spent the war in the trenches, he came back and spent his time drinking to get away from the horrific memories. His son would go on to land on Gold beach on D-day +1 as a member of the famous 7th armoured division 'The Desert Rats.'

This film brings an entire generation now lost to history a little bit closer, absolutely brilliant.

JustMX
12/19/2018 1:19pm
Damn, why would they not make a film as important as this one more accessible?

I missed it on the 17th and already have a Christmas commitment on the 27th that I have family that has flown all the to andetson, sc from Seattle to meet.

Is it gory? Might try and get everyone to go and see it before our 3 hour drive home.
early
Fantasy
2212th
12/19/2018 1:26pm
JustMX wrote:
Damn, why would they not make a film as important as this one more accessible? I missed it on the 17th and already have a Christmas...

I missed it on the 17th and already have a Christmas commitment on the 27th that I have family that has flown all the to andetson, sc from Seattle to meet.

Is it gory? Might try and get everyone to go and see it before our 3 hour drive home.
Screening at 1pm next Thursday afternoon around here. What's up with that?
Barrett57
12/19/2018 2:06pm Edited Date/Time 12/19/2018 2:07pm
JustMX wrote:
Damn, why would they not make a film as important as this one more accessible? I missed it on the 17th and already have a Christmas...

There's a scene that shows laughing smiling men, being voiced over by veterans talking about their experiences of combat,which then flashes from each smiling face to a smashed dead body on the battlefield. That's the goriest bit from what I remember.
jeffro503
12/19/2018 4:48pm
This is definitely something I'm going to enjoy learning about. I will say , the amount of reading I've already done on the WW1 and WW2 stages , have shown me , that most all those dude's ( and women ) we're tough as nails. They seriously don't make people like this any more. And it get's you thinking " what happened? " Now day's......it's all about people's " feelings " , and how they feel the need to be keyboard warrior's , when all you have to do is go back a little in time , and see what real struggle is all about. We're living in a world of freakin' pansie's compared to yesteryear.
jeffro503
12/19/2018 4:54pm
On a side note : i really , really hope there is a way to see this later down the road. Not quite understanding why the release of this , is planned this way.
race
12/19/2018 5:16pm
Heard Peter Jackson interviewed on this. He was curious about what they could do using modern technology and they did a small test. It came out so well that he decided to proceed with the project. From his state of the art digital studios in Wellington, NZ they threw everything they had in their digital tool box at it. It's an odd choice for him coming from so many fantasy based films.

WW1 was a truly ghastly clash of old world values coming face to face with the harsh realities of the modern age. The soldiers had no experience dealing with tanks ... air craft ... submarines ... gas attacks. Don't even want to picture horse mounted cavalry attempting to storm machine guns.

An entire generation of Europe was just erased. In 1919, the year after the war was over in France, there were 15 women for every man between the ages of 18 and 30. Silver lining there if you survived!
APLMAN99
12/19/2018 5:23pm
APLMAN99 wrote:
Can't imagine what it would have been like in those killing fields called trenches, especially when gasses were being used, etc. The Battle of Chosin in...

DoctorJD wrote:
I'd never heard of the battle of Chosin Reservoir until about 5 years ago. A good friend of mine's dad (who recently passed away) was in...

Yeah, I don't mean to diminish the original point of the thread at all, but I sort of see WWI and Korea in similar lights because it feels like WWII and Vietnam were the conflicts that got the most attention when I was in school.

America wasn't (officially) in WWI all that long overall, and Korea was considered a short "police action" by a lot of folks.

The Korean War stories of the Chinese soldiers being sent to battle without guns or food are crazy, and the stories of cannabilism in the high mountain ranges would be worthy of nightmares to anyone who survived it.
Nighttrain
12/19/2018 7:59pm
My grandfather was an American soldier in WW1. They were late to arrive but not spared the horrors of trench warfare.

The earlier battles of WW1 like Verdun have to be some of if not the worst conditions ever suffered by troops. Unlike any other wars these were sustained engagements that lasted months while +200,000 died in a small area. Body parts of dead soldiers strewn the battlefield and trenches where the others fought on.

https://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/battle-of-verdun-begins
12/20/2018 3:46am
This was shown on TV over here, incredibly powerful, especially when they show the individuals before going ‘over the top’, then the bodies on the floor afterwards.

I really don’t think any generation since can comprehend what they went through.
early
Fantasy
2212th
12/20/2018 6:34am
jeffro503 wrote:
This is definitely something I'm going to enjoy learning about. I will say , the amount of reading I've already done on the WW1 and WW2...
This is definitely something I'm going to enjoy learning about. I will say , the amount of reading I've already done on the WW1 and WW2 stages , have shown me , that most all those dude's ( and women ) we're tough as nails. They seriously don't make people like this any more. And it get's you thinking " what happened? " Now day's......it's all about people's " feelings " , and how they feel the need to be keyboard warrior's , when all you have to do is go back a little in time , and see what real struggle is all about. We're living in a world of freakin' pansie's compared to yesteryear.
I wonder how many of those guys would rather live in a world of pansies than witness the death of thousands of people.
12/20/2018 6:57am
jeffro503 wrote:
This is definitely something I'm going to enjoy learning about. I will say , the amount of reading I've already done on the WW1 and WW2...
It’s about feelings now because the world is generally a comfortable place.

Man yearns to be free. Once someone tries to take that away again you won’t be surprised on how people of today will step up overnight to protect it in its darkest hour.
12/20/2018 7:05am
It really is incredible doc/movie, a must watch imo. I would love to see this done with even more footage.

My granddad on my dad's side was sent out to the middle east. At some point they were told that in the morning they were going to charge the enemy - I wish I could (or rather my dad could Angry ...) remember the exact location (he was definitely in Turkey at one point) but this is 3rd hand information and he died in the 80s when I was only 2 or 3 yrs old. He said it was on a large plain and everyone was terrified - you can just imagine the sheer horror of what they were going to have to do. Anyway, when they charged over in the morning the enemy had disappeared into the night...

He picked up this sword, forgotten in a hurry, that very morning and later brought it back to England. You could do that sort of thing back then.

Seen better days, I need a session cleaning it up really.
freeh
12/20/2018 9:21am Edited Date/Time 12/20/2018 9:22am
On a somewhat related note, I took my teenage kids to see a musical called All Is Calm last weekend. We all loved it. It is a true story of the WW1 Christmas truce as told by the men who took part.

https://youtu.be/V214XbwpMbo
12/20/2018 9:33am Edited Date/Time 12/20/2018 9:34am
It really is incredible doc/movie, a must watch imo. I would love to see this done with even more footage. My granddad on my dad's side...
It really is incredible doc/movie, a must watch imo. I would love to see this done with even more footage.

My granddad on my dad's side was sent out to the middle east. At some point they were told that in the morning they were going to charge the enemy - I wish I could (or rather my dad could Angry ...) remember the exact location (he was definitely in Turkey at one point) but this is 3rd hand information and he died in the 80s when I was only 2 or 3 yrs old. He said it was on a large plain and everyone was terrified - you can just imagine the sheer horror of what they were going to have to do. Anyway, when they charged over in the morning the enemy had disappeared into the night...

He picked up this sword, forgotten in a hurry, that very morning and later brought it back to England. You could do that sort of thing back then.

Seen better days, I need a session cleaning it up really.
No don’t clean it up! Leave it alone!!!!

I would get a nice sealed box to place it in. That’s history. Don’t wash it off.
GD2
Fantasy
815th
12/20/2018 11:06am
I'll be watching it as soon as it hits VOD, since I can't see it on the 27th. I've heard it's pretty incredible.
12/28/2018 11:56am
Saw it last night it was amazing. Peter Jackson did a 30 minute behind the scenes after the final credits. There is going to be a wider release next year.
KDXGarage
12/29/2018 4:29pm
Saw it last night it was amazing. Peter Jackson did a 30 minute behind the scenes after the final credits. There is going to be a...
Saw it last night it was amazing. Peter Jackson did a 30 minute behind the scenes after the final credits. There is going to be a wider release next year.
Thanks for the heads up on it showing next year. It was an hour away here.
mx617
12/29/2018 5:59pm
jeffro503 wrote:
These guys fought, died and suffered so that we could be "pansies" as you so eloquently put it. They sacrificed everything and then some so that we wouldn't have to suffer. I guaran-fucking-tee you they would not have ever been put in that situation by choice. Maybe show a little appreciation for what they did so we could be in the position we are today. If people spent a little less time attacking each other and calling them names and little more thinking about their other side of the equation maybe it wouldn't be such a divided world today.
12/29/2018 10:44pm
What makes WWI so fascinating is that in a historical sense we are still living in the World War 1 era. Every major hot spot across the globe can be traced back to World War 1. The dust is still settling from it. It's only been 100 years in the eyes of history that's not a long time at all.
Oldschool
12/30/2018 10:59am
+1 my uncle jr. (Since passed) was on the Korean conflict / war
and he also would never talk about it
Only did his wife tell me
Out of 12 guys manning a cannon
In an instant he was the only survivor.
& he contracted malaria which stayed with him on and off for life.
Nighttrain
1/22/2020 4:28pm
Apologies for digging out an old thread. I watched “They Shall Not Grow Old” from Amazon Prime today. The producers did an outstanding job with this film. Everything they covered were things I’ve read in history books or heard in podcasts about the Great War. Those prolonged engagements in the trenches must be the very worst battlefield conditions ever endured by soldiers.

Post a reply to: They Shall Not Grow Old.

The Latest