The Virus - How Can We HELP?

IanMac138
Let's face it. This is our generations World War. And it's invaded our country, and it's invisible. And doesn't give a flying F what your race, gender, sexual orientation or political leanings are. Nor how much money you have in your bank account. The mobilization of our Government, Military, Medical System and the private sector are now being mobilized because IT'S REAL. So now that there can be no more debate about what we are facing...

I'd like to start this thread for anyone to share information on how we can do our part as private citizens to help in anyway we can, so long as we are safely able too. Hopefully this thread can serve only for POSITIVE ideas, links, resources and sharing ways we can help do our part, just like our grandparents and great grandparents generation did their duty during WWII. I'm scared shitless, for my wife with Asthma, my children, my mother who has battled two bouts of breast cancer, my grandmother in the hospital now with a broken hip, my father who has prostate cancer. THEY ARE THE ONES WHO ARE IN DANGER THE MOST. It's terrifying to me and really hitting me hard. I'm sure many of you are in the same positions with loved ones as well. But while I do what's asked by abiding be staying home for God knows how long is needed, the only way I think that I can feel better is by finding ways I can help. I think it's long overdue now that we all come together under a common cause, forget our egos, bravado, and shit-talking urges and start helping out in any way we can. Hell, we might just make a difference in this fight and look back and think "I did something to help". And helping others feels good. So let's go. Let's do this. I'll start..

DONATE BLOOD:. If you’re healthy and an eligible donor, healthcare providers could use your blood right now. The Red Cross is facing a severe blood shortage and donors are desperately needed. Blood donation centers have enacted protocols to reduce the risk of exposure or spreading the coronavirus. Find a donation center near you if you're healthy, and up to it. FIND A DONATION CENTER

Check on your elderly neighbors: If you’re healthy and able, consider doing grocery shopping or running errands for your elderly neighbors or friends. You don’t even have to — and perhaps shouldn't — come into direct contact with them; you can drop off their groceries, medicine on the doorstep or chat by phone. The point is to let people know you’re available to help. Even just giving them your phone number, or letting them know you will check in with them twice a day. You never know who could be 4 houses down and really needs help. Use your Nextdoor app if you have it and let your area know you're willing and able to help our elderly or those who are susceptible to infection. Knock on doors, leave a note in a mailbox. You never know who may really need help but who either can't ask for help or is too scared.

Food Banks: Many food banks are running in the red for food, which many are prioritizing for the elderly and kids who can't get meals at school anymore. To that point, it doesn't matter if the kids parents are lazy pos's, they're children and it's not their fault they're poor. Yada yada. Food banks + Donations = Helping. FIND YOUR LOCAL FOOD BANK

DONATE TO LEGIT CHARITIES: Donating to vetted charities is desperately needed. A lot of good people trying to help those in need the most. Everything from medical services, relief supplies, to donating to the CDC makes a difference. You can use Charity Tracker which tracks the most trustworthy charities to donate to, including Ratings, Financial Performance Metrics, Accountability & Transparency Metrics etc. for each charity so you know your money is being used the right way. Charity Navigator Covid19

Support your local businesses: Obvious one. Your little sandwich shop, restaurant, whatever. Small businesses need our help the most. Not large corporate chains that are gonna get bailed out by the Government no matter what.

Help the homeless: Make a few lunch kits with a jelly sandwich, some water, an apple, a few baby wipes. Whatever. The inequality in this country is staggering and it's now about to be exposed for all to see. Not to get political, but the top 1% are going to be just fine. And before we lump all the homeless into the 'junkies', 'lazy' or 'idiot' labeled box, remember that a lot of them used to be working people who got cut a real bad break, including a TON of veterans. The stats back it up and it's abhorrent that we as a nation allowed this to happen. So let's try and open our hearts a little bit (you know, what that dude Jesus would/did do) and help if you can.

Volunteer for Food Delivery: A lot of food banks and pantries helping the elderly and those in need are short on people to drive and deliver food kits to their doorsteps. There is strict criteria involved i.e. needing a valid drivers license etc. along with strict guidance that you don't interact with the people who you are delivering food too. Drive up, leave the care package at the door, ring doorbell, wave hello and ask if they need anything else and move on. The United Way is a great resource to find out how you can be of service for a myriad of tasks they desperately need to help in the fight. You can find your local chapter here United Way U.S.

That's a start. I encourage anyone to add and more importantly help. And if you do, let us know what you're doing. We need some positivity so LET'S ROLL!
|
IanMac138
3/20/2020 1:09pm
100 Million Masks: "The global demand for personal protective equipment (PPE) has created a severe shortage of PPE across the world. While regular distribution channels ramp up, you can help by making a financial donation to support our COVID-19 response, including obtaining and producing protective gear for our caregivers.
Western Washington is the hardest hit region of the country. For those in the Seattle area with a willing heart, the ability to sew and a sewing machine, we have an opportunity to help make masks now. We created kits that will include all the materials you need to make 100 masks. This kit includes medical-grade material that has been lab tested. This material is not available for purchase commercially, which is why we are supplying it to our volunteers.
Thanks to an overwhelming response from our community, all kits we are producing have been claimed!
We’ve received many questions from people wanting to make a mask for themselves or their loved ones. Please note this effort is focused on medical-grade masks for health care professionals on the front lines of COVID-19.
Thank you for your support and stay tuned for more information."
How to Help

Post a reply to: The Virus - How Can We HELP?

The Latest