The RV Life

G-man
With my Girl going thru her cancer battle I was thinking of getting a small RV to pull with my 99 Astro van V6 4.3. (103,000 miles).

I've checked out some micro minis and some of them have some pretty cool features like pull outs and solar panels to recharge batteries but adding all those features adds weight and I'm right around 4500 pound limit And from what I've read you should not pull close to the Max.

The only solution would be to get a newer truck but there's no way I'm gonna spend 50 to $60,000 on that.

Especially what leads into the next problem during the pandemic RV's sold out at a rapid rate and they're overpriced and now the campgrounds are all FULL you cannot even get a spot and the best spots can be reserved years in advance. Dizzy
This does not seem to be slowing down at all.

And now I just saw this:

https://www.rvtravel.com/legislation-ban-motorhome-portable-generators-…

So now I guess that just leaves traveling by air and the dilemma of trying to get someone to watch the dogs.
|
AZ35
Fantasy
544th
12/5/2021 7:36pm
This past July, we had wanted to rent an RV and go from Phoenix up through Durango/Silverton/Ouray with our 2 dogs. Then up towards Steamboat Springs (I spent many childhood summers at my grandparents cabin in that area and wanted to go see their former cabin/land and that area now).

RV rates were not too crazy, but literally every RV campground in the Colorado Rocky Mountain region was sold out for pretty much this entire past summer (I started to try and plan this trip in February).

So that crushed my dreams of trying out the RV life for a week, but we did just end up driving (left the dogs at my moms in Flagstaff) and staying in hotels (Ouray 3 nights, Glenwood Springs and Mountain Village (Telluride) on the way home).

RV camping availability is so limited, I guess it is a good sign for the industry and outdoor enthusiasts, but a pain in the ass trying to plan anything.

So Gary I hope you can find something to tow, but somewhere to stay (RV park) may be a challenge next summer...

G-man
12/5/2021 7:43pm
Thanks, yea I'm not sure if it would be worth the PITA to try to find a place to camp after all the EXPENSES. RV sales are moving fast and everything seems overpriced.

Might havta come up with a plan B.
7I3N
12/6/2021 5:50am
We needed to go to Texas for my daughter's wedding back in June. We didn't want to deal with masks and other restrictions so we bought a motorhome, loaded up the dogs and headed out. We used the Good Sam app to find RV parks to spend the night. We would estimate where we were going to be at the end of the day and call ahead to reserve a spot for a late check in. Never had a problem finding a place. We took another trip to Northern California a month later. The only trouble we had was one RV park didn't allow RVs over 10 years old. We begged them to make an exception and had to send pictures of our rig and they let us in. Every RV park we stayed at had plenty of open sites.
G-man
12/6/2021 6:53am
Wow!
Thanks for that, you are the FIRST one I have heard with that story, that is why I created this post to get some real life RV info from you guys--keep them coming. 😉

What RV did you get, new used-- would you have done anything different?

Thanks

The Shop

7I3N
12/6/2021 7:15am
G-man wrote:
Wow! Thanks for that, you are the FIRST one I have heard with that story, that is why I created this post to get some real...
Wow!
Thanks for that, you are the FIRST one I have heard with that story, that is why I created this post to get some real life RV info from you guys--keep them coming. 😉

What RV did you get, new used-- would you have done anything different?

Thanks
We got lucky. We found a really clean, low mileage, 20 year old coach, dirt cheap. 35 footer with all the bells and whistles.

Not having a towed vehicle to get around turned out to not be a big deal. We got good at casing out the places we needed to go to make sure we could find a place to park the beast.

Falcon
Fantasy
798th
12/6/2021 9:26am
About the generator ban, it is only California (so far,) and this is what the text reads:

(a) (1) By July 1, 2022, the state board shall, consistent with federal law, adopt cost-effective and technologically feasible regulations to prohibit engine exhaust and evaporative emissions from new small off-road engines, as defined by the state board. Those regulations shall apply to engines produced on or after January 1, 2024, or as soon as the state board determines is feasible, whichever is later.

So,
Get a generator made before 1/1/2024. Cool
whyZ
12/6/2021 10:49am
G-man, Having camped with you before, and knowing you all these years I can not wrap my mind around you driving a "Class A" motohome, and camping in designated camp grounds...? The world must be nearing its end. To offer my 2¢, with the Astro you might want to look at pop-ups. They make some pretty legit ones these days with all the amenities of Class A or C's, and much less hassle with storage. If nothing else you and Jan are always welcome to spend the weekend with us up north.
12/6/2021 11:28am
If you travel to LA you don't need an RV park. You can just park that bad boy in any neighborhood you want. Feel free to stay for months. You can empty your sewage into the storm drain. If you get hassled by police or anyone else just tell them you're homeless and they leave you alone they might even give you a free cell phone and an EB T card for free food.

Follow me for more travel tips
Moto Nomad
12/6/2021 1:16pm
I have had great luck with my Forest River R-Pod. It's well-designed and has some pretty cool features. In fact, I have been living in it full-time for almost two years (which is not for everybody). Grinning
I even camped in a blizzard last year (four-feet of snow in four days) if anybody wants extreme RV'ing advice.
G-man
12/6/2021 9:35pm
"Having camped with you before, and knowing you all these years I can not wrap my mind around you driving a "Class A" motohome, and camping in designated camp grounds...? The world must be nearing its end"

Laughing

Bob,
That's pretty much true in a few different ways. With what Jan is going thru I want to make her as comfortable as possible.

And I don't know what the future holds but my world as I know it might end. Sad
Chance1216
12/6/2021 9:52pm
G-man wrote:
"Having camped with you before, and knowing you all these years I can not wrap my mind around you driving a "Class A" motohome, and camping...
"Having camped with you before, and knowing you all these years I can not wrap my mind around you driving a "Class A" motohome, and camping in designated camp grounds...? The world must be nearing its end"

Laughing

Bob,
That's pretty much true in a few different ways. With what Jan is going thru I want to make her as comfortable as possible.

And I don't know what the future holds but my world as I know it might end. Sad
If you get that RV and, end up in Washington, stop by. I’ll make you both salmon and, dungenous crab.

Post a reply to: The RV Life

The Latest