The Last Man On The Moon

OldPro277
1/25/2018 10:25am
yzrider314 wrote:
x2
I think he's kidding. My advice is never to debate the "moon hoax" crowd. It's just not worth it. Let them think what they will. If...
I think he's kidding.

My advice is never to debate the "moon hoax" crowd. It's just not worth it. Let them think what they will. If the LRO images of the landing sites didn't convince them - we damn sure won't.
bh84 wrote:
Further proof that sarcasm doesn't translate well through text. 100% kidding.
Good man !! I thought you were probably kidding too, but there are plenty of beanbags around here ,so you never know . Lol. Sorry that I temporarily placed you in that category.
1/25/2018 3:50pm
Gang, I really appreciate all the comments and links. I've looked at everyone of the links. I find myself STILL fascinated by this whole moon thing, and stand extremely proud of what was accomplished - even though, beyond being a U.S. citizen - I had nothing to do with it. I was there in the sense that I was old enough to remember it all happening in "real-time" and saw it all play out on TV.

Here is a link to a great website. I can't really explain it, but I find these astronaut debriefs to be absolutely enthralling. Perhaps because it humanizes them in such a personal way. It is a LONG read, but so amazing. Apollo 15 has to be my favorite mission - "In The Mountains of The Moon." So, it was only natural that I would gravitate to the debriefing. If nothing else, at least scroll down to where they talk about flying down to the surface.

I hope you enjoy, and thanks again for all the kind words and the excellent links.
quicken
1/25/2018 7:39pm
Thanks for the link.....I'm reading the debriefing now and I'm amazed at the detail they are going through. I wish I understood some of their lingo better, but I'm getting the jist of it.

Here's a funny moment about some seat restraint bolts that weren't tightened....

Oh , yes. The screws on the restraint system came loose.

Yes. That was during the lunar orbit , but that 's a good thing
to mention so that we don't forget it.

It's surprising in that it came out of the center seat and the
right seat , both on the right side .

On the right side , yes. The lower lap belt restraint attach
point on the center seat and on the right seat came loose.
The small bolts that hold them to the attach point and the
nuts all came loose and just floated around. The lap belts
came loose. I thought it was kind of funny in lunar 9rbit .
When I took the center couch out , I noticed the attach point
on the center couch was gone. And that strap was floating
free. I looked around for the little bolt that goes in there,
the little screw and the nut that goes in there, and I couldn't
find it. I thought to myself at the time , well, I'll just sit
and wait and sooner or later it will float by. Sure enough,
all four pieces to that thing floated by: Two washers, a bolt
and a nut . I just grabbed them as they went by and stuck them
on a piece of tape. I kept the tape in one place and then put
it all back together again. But I was really surprised that
those little things came loose.

I think it's a good idea to have restraint straps, especially
if you're going to make a two-chute landing.

Yes. We were able to repair the one in the center couch because we got all the parts. On my couch, we never did find the nut for it.

That's right. So we ended up just taping this good one up. And it withstood
that two-chute impact
That little piece of gray tape.

Yes. Take lots of gray tape.

Best invention yet
1/26/2018 6:28am
quicken wrote:
Thanks for the link.....I'm reading the debriefing now and I'm amazed at the detail they are going through. I wish I understood some of their lingo...
Thanks for the link.....I'm reading the debriefing now and I'm amazed at the detail they are going through. I wish I understood some of their lingo better, but I'm getting the jist of it.

Here's a funny moment about some seat restraint bolts that weren't tightened....

Oh , yes. The screws on the restraint system came loose.

Yes. That was during the lunar orbit , but that 's a good thing
to mention so that we don't forget it.

It's surprising in that it came out of the center seat and the
right seat , both on the right side .

On the right side , yes. The lower lap belt restraint attach
point on the center seat and on the right seat came loose.
The small bolts that hold them to the attach point and the
nuts all came loose and just floated around. The lap belts
came loose. I thought it was kind of funny in lunar 9rbit .
When I took the center couch out , I noticed the attach point
on the center couch was gone. And that strap was floating
free. I looked around for the little bolt that goes in there,
the little screw and the nut that goes in there, and I couldn't
find it. I thought to myself at the time , well, I'll just sit
and wait and sooner or later it will float by. Sure enough,
all four pieces to that thing floated by: Two washers, a bolt
and a nut . I just grabbed them as they went by and stuck them
on a piece of tape. I kept the tape in one place and then put
it all back together again. But I was really surprised that
those little things came loose.

I think it's a good idea to have restraint straps, especially
if you're going to make a two-chute landing.

Yes. We were able to repair the one in the center couch because we got all the parts. On my couch, we never did find the nut for it.

That's right. So we ended up just taping this good one up. And it withstood
that two-chute impact
That little piece of gray tape.

Yes. Take lots of gray tape.

Best invention yet
You're welcome! I've read almost that entire transcript. I read really fast, so it doesn't take me as long as one might think. Besides, my wife is out of town, I'm still living in my freaking camper, WIFI here sucks, and I have plenty of free time right now.

Those mountains and the Hadley Rille that 15 parked by had to be just spectacular to see in person - and the astronauts said as much numerous times.

Another thing about reading the debrief is it sets in how every minute of their time was planned. Of course it makes perfect sense, but the intricate detail they allude to when reading through the debrief caught me a bit off-guard.

The Shop

quicken
1/26/2018 11:17am
Although it's not space related, if your wifi is good enough to watch another documentary, I recommend this one.....

The Fog of War: Eleven Lessons from the Life of Robert S. McNamara is a 2003 American documentary film about the life and times of former U.S. Secretary of Defense Robert S. McNamara illustrating his observations of the nature of modern warfare. The film was directed by Errol Morris and features an original score by Philip Glass. The title derives from the military concept of the "fog of war" depicting the difficulty of making decisions in the midst of conflict.

Movie trailer......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=57&v=hcAyzbMvF7k

Movie......

https://vimeo.com/149799416

bh84
Fantasy
1830th
1/27/2018 6:28am
OldPro277 wrote:
Good man !! I thought you were probably kidding too, but there are plenty of beanbags around here ,so you never know . Lol. Sorry that...
Good man !! I thought you were probably kidding too, but there are plenty of beanbags around here ,so you never know . Lol. Sorry that I temporarily placed you in that category.
No worries, I'm a quad guy, I'm permanently in "that category" even though I ride everything from sleds to crotch rockets to dirtbikes.
2/4/2018 7:06am
BMSOBx2 wrote:
Harry, regarding the Apollo moon mission hoax I have some personal experience with this. As part of my military service I was stationed aboard the USS...
Harry, regarding the Apollo moon mission hoax I have some personal experience with this. As part of my military service I was stationed aboard the USS Arlington, AGMR2 a major Communications relay ship involved in directing the recovery Fleet for the Apollo 10 and 11 Moon missions. President Nixon was aboard our ship for the Apollo 11 recovery. I was privileged to be able to witness the return of Apollo 11 through the atmosphere and it's successful splash down in the Pacific landing about 6 miles away from our ship. If this was a hoax it was a well orchestrated one involving dozens of ships submarines and even the president of the United States. Still haven't figured out how they faked that capsule Splashdown.
Did you see that the Arlington has an association? http://www.ussarlington.com
anniebertmojo
2/4/2018 9:06am Edited Date/Time 2/4/2018 9:07am
To switch gears a bit. Totally makes you really think how small we really are.

Voyager 1... 11 billion miles from earth as it prepares to cross the solar system's final frontier into interstellar space. Incredible image taken from Voyager 1 show Earth as tiny dot. Photo was taken in 2012.

diz330
2/4/2018 7:36pm
People still care about the moon these days? I thought following Kim kardashians life around Hollywood was so much more important to Americans? Just kidding.

Can't wait to watch the doc after reading this thread.
daemon616
2/4/2018 8:08pm
To switch gears a bit. Totally makes you really think how small we really are. Voyager 1... 11 billion miles from earth as it prepares to...

Voyager 1... 11 billion miles from earth as it prepares to cross the solar system's final frontier into interstellar space. Incredible image taken from Voyager 1 show Earth as tiny dot. Photo was taken in 2012.

Fantasy
4452nd
2/4/2018 9:21pm
To switch gears a bit. Totally makes you really think how small we really are. Voyager 1... 11 billion miles from earth as it prepares to...

That photo was taken February 14, 1990, thanks to Carl Sagan.
zdhbike
Fantasy
2201st
2/4/2018 11:44pm
Anonymous wrote:
If you get a chance, tune into Netflix and watch this excellent documentary on Gene Cernan. As the title of this post notes, Gene was the...
If you get a chance, tune into Netflix and watch this excellent documentary on Gene Cernan. As the title of this post notes, Gene was the last man on the moon. It's poignant, stirring, inspiring, sad, amazing - all at once.
Thanks for the recommendation, I watched it with my father tonight and we both loved it. I really can’t fathom the guts and brains it took those men to pull it off. Ride a series of bombs to another celestial body then trust they will get you home. It’s a shame our space program has been neutered, but its great to see private companies stepping up.
2/5/2018 6:36am Edited Date/Time 2/5/2018 6:40am
BMSOBx2 wrote:
Yes, there's some pictures of when we crossed the date line and became shellbacks that are pretty interesting from my era.
I can't get the pictures to open at the link titled, "USS Arlington AG MR2 Ships Photos." It opens, but other than a title, there are no pictures. It's annoying of course, but I'm not sure if it is this rinky-dink, mickey mouse lap top I'm using, or the WIFI here at the RV Park. It doesn't open on my phone either.

Wanted to add that I crossed the line in 1983 aboard USS AMERICA. That's a pretty weird day. It's no fun when you're doing it, but it is pretty cool after when you're all cleaned up and watching other guys go through it. Takes pretty much all day with 5,500 guys onboard.
2/5/2018 6:38am
Anonymous wrote:
If you get a chance, tune into Netflix and watch this excellent documentary on Gene Cernan. As the title of this post notes, Gene was the...
If you get a chance, tune into Netflix and watch this excellent documentary on Gene Cernan. As the title of this post notes, Gene was the last man on the moon. It's poignant, stirring, inspiring, sad, amazing - all at once.
zdhbike wrote:
Thanks for the recommendation, I watched it with my father tonight and we both loved it. I really can’t fathom the guts and brains it took...
Thanks for the recommendation, I watched it with my father tonight and we both loved it. I really can’t fathom the guts and brains it took those men to pull it off. Ride a series of bombs to another celestial body then trust they will get you home. It’s a shame our space program has been neutered, but its great to see private companies stepping up.
That's great! I'm glad you and your pop enjoyed it.

"Series of bombs." Haha! What a great way to put it. That's pretty much true!
anniebertmojo
2/5/2018 7:14am

308 wrote:
I stand corrected... thanks for the update ;-)
2/5/2018 7:20am

308 wrote:
I stand corrected... thanks for the update ;-)
Definitely an amazing photo.
2/6/2018 10:15am
I found a couple more great documentaries. Apollo 16: The Men, The Moon, The Memories. This was pretty good and definitely worth the 50 minutes it takes to run through.

The other one, The Saturn V Story, was excellent and went into pretty good detail regarding the engineering challenges that had to be overcome. There's some excellent archival footage of assembling the rockets, F1 rocket engines blowing up, etc. Well worth your time.

I found both of these on Prime.
DoctorJD
2/7/2018 1:58pm
I found a couple more great documentaries. [i][b]Apollo 16: The Men, The Moon, The Memories[/b][/i]. This was pretty good and definitely worth the 50 minutes it...
I found a couple more great documentaries. Apollo 16: The Men, The Moon, The Memories. This was pretty good and definitely worth the 50 minutes it takes to run through.

The other one, The Saturn V Story, was excellent and went into pretty good detail regarding the engineering challenges that had to be overcome. There's some excellent archival footage of assembling the rockets, F1 rocket engines blowing up, etc. Well worth your time.

I found both of these on Prime.
Thanks for the heads up. I'll put both of these on my watch list.

Post a reply to: The Last Man On The Moon

The Latest