The Last Man On The Moon

Anonymous (not verified)
Edited Date/Time 2/7/2018 1:58pm
If you get a chance, tune into Netflix and watch this excellent documentary on Gene Cernan. As the title of this post notes, Gene was the last man on the moon. It's poignant, stirring, inspiring, sad, amazing - all at once.
|
OldPro277
1/19/2018 9:45am
Dammit, I've been wanting to watch that. Love that stuff, can't beat hearing the info directly from the horses mouth. Gonna catch it this weekend for sure . Thanks for the reminder Harry.
1/19/2018 9:49am
OldPro277 wrote:
Dammit, I've been wanting to watch that. Love that stuff, can't beat hearing the info directly from the horses mouth. Gonna catch it this weekend for...
Dammit, I've been wanting to watch that. Love that stuff, can't beat hearing the info directly from the horses mouth. Gonna catch it this weekend for sure . Thanks for the reminder Harry.
Welcome, sir. Well worth your time.
Lucifa.
1/19/2018 2:58pm
Thanks for the heads up Harry. Just found it on Netflix so my afternoon will be sorted.
1/19/2018 4:30pm
Lucifa. wrote:
Thanks for the heads up Harry. Just found it on Netflix so my afternoon will be sorted.
Stick with it. The last 20 minutes or so make it all worthwhile.

The Shop

sleeve1
Fantasy
1966th
1/20/2018 3:53pm
my son and I watched it last night. What a great documentary.
1/20/2018 6:00pm
sleeve1 wrote:
my son and I watched it last night. What a great documentary.
I sure thought so. Thanks for checking in.
OldPro277
1/21/2018 10:48am
Thanks again Harry, just finished watching it. Absolutely fantastic documentary. Amazing the courage and outright balls these guys had. In comparison,a 100' triple is comparable to going to the bathroom for those guys. True American Heroes. RIP Mr. Cernan.
500guy
1/22/2018 7:30pm
I was very young at the time this was all happening and did not give 2 shits what was going on.

Thanks for the recommendation, it was really good. what an amazing time in our history.
3D
1/23/2018 3:10am
Thank you for posting. I loved this documentary. I've always been really into space program history. Back in 7th grade (I'm 41) I had a class called Earth and space. I've been hooked ever since.
bh84
Fantasy
1830th
1/23/2018 6:40am
Last man on the movie set they passed off as the "moon"

TongueTongue
OldPro277
1/23/2018 8:05am
bh84 wrote:

TongueTongue
Hopefully you're joking, but if not I'd pay a months salary to be there and watch you say that to Buzz Aldrin's face.
yzrider314
1/23/2018 11:17am
You will also have to check out "Mission Control - The Unsung Heroes of Apollo." It was on Netflix for a while, but I'm not sure if it still is. Great stories from guys like Gene Krantz and the story of Apollo 12 that was struck by lighting twice during liftoff. Incredible stuff!
yzrider314
1/23/2018 11:17am
bh84 wrote:

TongueTongue
OldPro277 wrote:
Hopefully you're joking, but if not I'd pay a months salary to be there and watch you say that to Buzz Aldrin's face.
x2
1/23/2018 11:42am
bh84 wrote:

TongueTongue
OldPro277 wrote:
yzrider314 wrote:
x2
I think he's kidding.

My advice is never to debate the "moon hoax" crowd. It's just not worth it. Let them think what they will. If the LRO images of the landing sites didn't convince them - we damn sure won't.
OldPro277
1/23/2018 1:27pm
You're right Harry. But there's only a couple of subjects that rankle my feathers. That being one of them. I think he was kidding too, but just in case.lol. I saw a video once of a guy spouting off to Aldrin about that and if there wasn't a buddy that pulled him away I think 'ol Buzz would have lit him up good. Too many good people worked to make that happen, and lost too many great ones to disrespect their accomplishment IMO.

YZrider- I caught that docu too and I loved it as well. On a similar note I really enjoyed the movie "Hidden Figures" with
Kevin Costner and Octavia Spencer. Covers the mathematician Katherine Johnson and her work at NASA. Definitely worth the watch. Excellent
Piston Slap
Fantasy
2410th
1/23/2018 6:01pm
Welcome, sir. Well worth your time.
Thanks Harry,

Me and a Buddy were at a convention in Fla. 1999-2000.

Got down to the Space Center, did the tour, the Imax, the whole deal.

Gene Cernan was the giving a promo/lecture for his book,

My boss bought me a copy and had him sign it as I watched... Pretty cool.

PS

90smoto
1/24/2018 4:12am Edited Date/Time 1/24/2018 4:37am
Wow! Always been fascinated with anything space related. Watched this last night it was great!! Thanks for the heads up
90smoto
1/24/2018 4:16am
This one on Netflix is another great watch

DoctorJD
1/24/2018 5:17am
Watched it last night. Loved it, thanks for recommending it!
Shawn142
1/24/2018 8:11am
Watched it several months ago and thought it was a perfect send-off to Gene. While not a documentary but along the same theme, First Man is about to begin filming. It's a feature film bio-pic about Neil Armstrong starring Ryan Gosling set from '61 to '69. Hopefully Hollywood will do that justice. I think they got Apollo 13 right but that was over 20 years ago now, released in '95.
BMSOBx2
1/24/2018 8:15am Edited Date/Time 1/24/2018 8:36am
I think he's kidding. My advice is never to debate the "moon hoax" crowd. It's just not worth it. Let them think what they will. If...
I think he's kidding.

My advice is never to debate the "moon hoax" crowd. It's just not worth it. Let them think what they will. If the LRO images of the landing sites didn't convince them - we damn sure won't.
Harry, regarding the Apollo moon mission hoax I have some personal experience with this. As part of my military service I was stationed aboard the USS Arlington, AGMR2 a major Communications relay ship involved in directing the recovery Fleet for the Apollo 10 and 11 Moon missions. President Nixon was aboard our ship for the Apollo 11 recovery. I was privileged to be able to witness the return of Apollo 11 through the atmosphere and it's successful splash down in the Pacific landing about 6 miles away from our ship. If this was a hoax it was a well orchestrated one involving dozens of ships submarines and even the president of the United States. Still haven't figured out how they faked that capsule Splashdown.
1/24/2018 10:52am
I think he's kidding. My advice is never to debate the "moon hoax" crowd. It's just not worth it. Let them think what they will. If...
I think he's kidding.

BMSOBx2 wrote:
Harry, regarding the Apollo moon mission hoax I have some personal experience with this. As part of my military service I was stationed aboard the USS...
Harry, regarding the Apollo moon mission hoax I have some personal experience with this. As part of my military service I was stationed aboard the USS Arlington, AGMR2 a major Communications relay ship involved in directing the recovery Fleet for the Apollo 10 and 11 Moon missions. President Nixon was aboard our ship for the Apollo 11 recovery. I was privileged to be able to witness the return of Apollo 11 through the atmosphere and it's successful splash down in the Pacific landing about 6 miles away from our ship. If this was a hoax it was a well orchestrated one involving dozens of ships submarines and even the president of the United States. Still haven't figured out how they faked that capsule Splashdown.
That's a great testimony! It wasn't faked. It was all very real and an amazing accomplishment. Thank you for your service!
BMSOBx2
1/24/2018 12:19pm
I was an MMFN in the aft engine room. Something that wasn't mentioned in the article was that she was originally planned to be a cruiser with the propulsion system to go with it when the decision was made to turn her into a light aircraft carrier towards the end of World War II as these would be used to support the invasion of Japan. With this hull configuration and propulsion system she was very fast. We managed to squeeze 36 knots out of her in sea trials. In what would have been the Air Wing spaces she was crammed full of sophisticated electronic equipment with armed Marine guards at the door and combination locks. Security clearances were required to even be aboard. Around the perimeter of what used to be the flight deck was an array of antennas that folded down. With the two main 108 feet tall antennas she was quite a sight. People said she glowed in the dark.
1/24/2018 12:50pm
I was looking at that one picture in the wiki article and it showed those antennas! Pretty wild. Just before my time, so never saw anything like it when I was going to sea.

36 knots is getting it!

Anyhow, all very cool - especially when you learn something new out of it.
bh84
Fantasy
1830th
1/24/2018 1:27pm Edited Date/Time 1/24/2018 1:31pm
OldPro277 wrote:
yzrider314 wrote:
x2
I think he's kidding.

Further proof that sarcasm doesn't translate well through text. 100% kidding.

Post a reply to: The Last Man On The Moon

The Latest