The Google FREE photo storage End is Near!!!

G-man
Edited Date/Time 4/21/2021 6:28pm
The awesome FREE Google photo storage that we've all been spoiled with will be ending June 1!

It's amazing to me that the very 1st photo I took with a flip phone I still have because it's in the cloud! Woohoo

No wonder our favourite celebrity nudity pics get hacked and are floating around for everybody to see. Those Jennifer Lawrence pics are awesome! Smile

Kind of a double edge sword.

Anyway I am by no means a computer geek and have no idea what I will do.

Any suggestions from you geniuses on what you will do?
Pay to store your endless amount of pictures that you take?

What crazy times we live in and all the more reason "I miss the good old days"...Unsure
|
Chance1216
4/21/2021 9:29am
G-man wrote:
The awesome FREE Google photo storage that we've all been spoiled with will be ending June 1! It's amazing to me that the very 1st photo...
The awesome FREE Google photo storage that we've all been spoiled with will be ending June 1!

It's amazing to me that the very 1st photo I took with a flip phone I still have because it's in the cloud! Woohoo

No wonder our favourite celebrity nudity pics get hacked and are floating around for everybody to see. Those Jennifer Lawrence pics are awesome! Smile

Kind of a double edge sword.

Anyway I am by no means a computer geek and have no idea what I will do.

Any suggestions from you geniuses on what you will do?
Pay to store your endless amount of pictures that you take?

What crazy times we live in and all the more reason "I miss the good old days"...Unsure
Upload them into a memory card.
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
4/21/2021 4:26pm
Yeah, I back all my shiz up onto flash drives and store those in my bugout box. (Files, records, etc... I know to grab that box, my electric guitar, kids, and wife, in that order, and get out if the house is on fire.)
I don't load anything onto any cloud, because I don't want those pictures of me and Jennifer Lawrence getting out!
TXDirt
4/21/2021 5:41pm
I have a QNAP with around 64TB of storage. I created my own private cloud at my house. I can backup my photos right to it. i can access it remotely. Works great!
ShawdowGlen
4/21/2021 10:28pm
Not the first time a company reels us in with the free-bie and then pulls the rug out from under you. Probably no easy way to download everything either.

I back up all my shit on multiple Drives.

Got nothin on the cloud.

The Shop

G-man
4/21/2021 10:46pm
Falcon wrote:
Yeah, I back all my shiz up onto flash drives and store those in my bugout box. (Files, records, etc... I know to grab that box...
Yeah, I back all my shiz up onto flash drives and store those in my bugout box. (Files, records, etc... I know to grab that box, my electric guitar, kids, and wife, in that order, and get out if the house is on fire.)
I don't load anything onto any cloud, because I don't want those pictures of me and Jennifer Lawrence getting out!
I Understand how Falcon wouldn't want his JLaw pics to get out for the World to see, but how do you prevent them from going to the Cloud?

I must admit it's rather cool to scroll through your Google pictures on your phone and see photos you took in 2010. I don't recall signing up for anything or pressing the magic button that enables this how do you prevent pictures from going to the cloud?

For storage yes I've downloaded pictures from my phone's to the computer but I actually loathe getting on my computer these days and only do it when I have to pay bills usually. Same with putting it on flash drives. Just another process.

The convenience is GONE and was looking for another FREE storage site.
G-man
4/21/2021 10:50pm
TXDirt wrote:
I have a QNAP with around 64TB of storage. I created my own private cloud at my house. I can backup my photos right to it...
I have a QNAP with around 64TB of storage. I created my own private cloud at my house. I can backup my photos right to it. i can access it remotely. Works great!
Ok I have no idea what you're talking about remember I'm older than your Dad. Laughing

But you talked me into a Firestick and that worked out great! Cool

So how easy is it to set up my own Cloud so the JLaw pics don't get out?
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
4/22/2021 9:15am
Falcon wrote:
Yeah, I back all my shiz up onto flash drives and store those in my bugout box. (Files, records, etc... I know to grab that box...
G-man wrote:
I Understand how Falcon wouldn't want his JLaw pics to get out for the World to see, but how do you prevent them from going to...
I Understand how Falcon wouldn't want his JLaw pics to get out for the World to see, but how do you prevent them from going to the Cloud?

I must admit it's rather cool to scroll through your Google pictures on your phone and see photos you took in 2010. I don't recall signing up for anything or pressing the magic button that enables this how do you prevent pictures from going to the cloud?

For storage yes I've downloaded pictures from my phone's to the computer but I actually loathe getting on my computer these days and only do it when I have to pay bills usually. Same with putting it on flash drives. Just another process.

The convenience is GONE and was looking for another FREE storage site.
My old Google Pixel and my new iPhone both have options to disable cloud storage. I make sure the cloud storage option is disabled at all times.

On a completely tangential note, I absolutely hate my new iPhone. How TF can anybody think this is a good piece of equipment? What a rotten, stinking pile of excrement. The Pixel was much, much better, but even that phone wasn't perfect. I want my Windows phone back. SadSadSadSadSadSadSad
G-man
4/22/2021 10:08am
"My old Google Pixel and my new iPhone both have options to disable cloud storage. I make sure the cloud storage option is disabled at all times."

Ok that explains why your time with JLaw wasn't hacked for the World to see. Grinning

Thanks for the tip.

When my beloved Samsung S6 finally took a dump I asked advice from a co worker computer geek.

He said to stay away from IPhones. He has a Google phone.

I have a S10, and yes it has a better battery and storage, but I liked the S6 better for some reason.

Personally I hate all this technology and the fact you have to buy new phones AND computers every 4-5 years it seems what a bunch of BS!

I would much rather spend my hard earned money on something I enjoy like motorcycle parts etc...Unsure
ocscottie
4/23/2021 11:21am
Is the whole Google Drive going away? Or just photo storage?
Timo
4/23/2021 12:05pm
ocscottie wrote:
Is the whole Google Drive going away? Or just photo storage?
Photo storage isn't going away, they are just lowering the quality of the free photo storage. They say over 1 billion new photos are added daily to their servers. People need to occasionally go through there photos and delete the bad ones. I clean over 100 pictures a month outta mine.
TXDirt
4/23/2021 12:46pm
TXDirt wrote:
I have a QNAP with around 64TB of storage. I created my own private cloud at my house. I can backup my photos right to it...
G-man wrote:
Ok I have no idea what you're talking about remember I'm older than your Dad. :laugh: But you talked me into a Firestick and that worked...
Ok I have no idea what you're talking about remember I'm older than your Dad. Laughing

But you talked me into a Firestick and that worked out great! Cool

So how easy is it to set up my own Cloud so the JLaw pics don't get out?
It's a bit of an undertaking. Not gonna lie and make it sound easy. For me it's easy because I do it everyday for my job. But for the average home user it's a bit of work. If you are techie then you can figure it out. It's mostly plug and play but quite a few steps.

And cost is big. Probably 1k-2k for entry level.

The QNAP itself is pretty affordable, but the Hard Drives can be quite costly when you are talking about 10-16TB drives.

Matt Fisher
Fantasy
1177th
4/23/2021 10:33pm
So I go to Google Photos, and it only shows 5 pictures. It also says I'm using 8.5gb of storage, yet the largest picture is 1.5mb. What am I missing here?
G-man
4/24/2021 1:19am
TXDirt wrote:
It's a bit of an undertaking. Not gonna lie and make it sound easy. For me it's easy because I do it everyday for my job...
It's a bit of an undertaking. Not gonna lie and make it sound easy. For me it's easy because I do it everyday for my job. But for the average home user it's a bit of work. If you are techie then you can figure it out. It's mostly plug and play but quite a few steps.

And cost is big. Probably 1k-2k for entry level.

The QNAP itself is pretty affordable, but the Hard Drives can be quite costly when you are talking about 10-16TB drives.

Thanks for the warning, looks like I'm out on that one...Unsure
G-man
4/24/2021 1:27am
Timo wrote:
Photo storage isn't going away, they are just lowering the quality of the free photo storage. They say over 1 billion new photos are added daily...
Photo storage isn't going away, they are just lowering the quality of the free photo storage. They say over 1 billion new photos are added daily to their servers. People need to occasionally go through there photos and delete the bad ones. I clean over 100 pictures a month outta mine.
I thought they are limiting the amount of storage before they start charging you.

With the amount of photos people take on a daily basis that can add up quickly.

I know that's one of the great features of these smartphones is to be able to take pictures at random with out even thinking twice about it. You can take 5 to 10 pictures of basically the same thing to get the perfect shot.

I am old enough to remember when we actually had to buy Kodak film and put it in the camera and get it developed.
You definitely could not just take pictures at random if you were on a limited budget.

So now we have monthly fees to have these smartphones that have consumed humanity. I can take endless pictures but it seems the convenience of them going to the cloud is going away.
Timo
4/25/2021 12:09pm
So I go to Google Photos, and it only shows 5 pictures. It also says I'm using 8.5gb of storage, yet the largest picture is 1.5mb...
So I go to Google Photos, and it only shows 5 pictures. It also says I'm using 8.5gb of storage, yet the largest picture is 1.5mb. What am I missing here?
It's photos, drive, gmail, basically the whole google suite, not just photos.

Post a reply to: The Google FREE photo storage End is Near!!!

The Latest