Testosterone Replacement Therapy Vs. Performance Enhancing Drugs

The Rock
Edited Date/Time 12/14/2013 12:31pm
Here is the link but for those who have arm pump and can't click here is the article.

The Cliff Notes version is Testosterone Replacement Therapy is not the same as PED or as the author puts it: Testosterone Replacement Therapy Vs. Performance Enhancing Drugs: A Whole Different Ball Game

Recently, an appeals court ruled that Alberto Contador, the three-time winner of the Tour de France, was guilty of “doping,” the use of anabolic steroids to gain an athletic advantage. This was an additional blow to a sport that has been repeatedly tarnished by doping scandals involving the most elite cyclists in the world. The court ordered Contador to be stripped of his victory in the 2010 Tour de France as well as twelve subsequent victories.

Doping is by no means unique to cycling, as professional athletes in many different sports—weightlifting, bodybuilding, baseball, football, martial arts, etc.—have tested positive for performance-enhancing substances in the last few years. Doping is banned by all of the major sporting governing bodies. Not limited to professional athletes, many amateur athletes and bodybuilders have used anabolic steroids to try to improve their game and gain a competitive edge.

Many years before Barry Bonds became involved with doping, it was recognized that the male sex hormone testosterone played a major role in muscle mass and strength. In the early 1950’s, Soviet Union and other Eastern Bloc Olympic weightlifting teams made use of such androgens, isolated from the testicles of animals, in order to enhance their performance in Olympic events. Over the subsequent 60 years, the use of synthetic anabolic steroids increased substantially. Anabolic steroids mimic the effects of testosterone, increasing protein synthesis in cells, causing muscle growth and an increase in lean body mass that results in a gain in muscle strength and thus, a competitive edge.

Anabolic steroids have two different types of effects—anabolic and androgenic. Anabolic refers to the promotion of cell growth and includes the following effects: increased appetite, increased muscle and bone growth and increased production of red blood cells by the bone marrow, all of which result in increased strength. Androgenic refers to the development of masculine characteristics including oil gland production, libido and sexuality, deep voice and male-pattern hair growth. Many effects and side effects of anabolic steroids are dose-dependent, in other words, in proportion to the doses used.

Along with the escalating use of synthetic androgens in athletes, there has been a parallel increasing awareness of testosterone deficiency and its treatment, particularly over the last couple of years. Since testosterone (T) and performance enhancing drugs (PEDs) are both classified as anabolic steroids and each increases muscle mass and strength, they are often incorrectly thought to be one and the same.

T and PEDs differ in structure, biochemistry and use. The medical use of T is for men with testosterone deficiency, usually manifested by fatigue, diminished sex drive and a constellation of other symptoms. The goal of treatment is to improve symptoms by getting the testosterone into a normal range. There are a variety of means of testosterone replacement including gels, creams, trans-dermal patches, pellets and injections. All of these formulations are FDA approved and provide testosterone that is identical to that of the testosterone that is present in our bodies under normal circumstances. Testosterone levels are checked periodically to ensure that the testosterone is in the normal range.

PEDs are most often manufactured clandestinely at small labs to avoid FDA scrutiny; they are sometimes obtained through veterinarians, pharmacists or physicians, and are often procured on the black market. They are intended solely to build muscle mass, strength and improve athletic performance, so their use is beyond the domain of standard medical practice. PEDs favor anabolic (muscle building) over androgenic (pertaining to the development of male characteristics) effects.

The vast majority of the time, PEDs are provided illicitly by a trainer without special expertise in this area. The goal is a super-high testosterone level, often ten times or more than normal levels. Dopers often use the equivalent of 1000 mg or greater of T per week. PEDs are not the chemical equivalent of T and there is no medical monitoring of users. Popular PEDs include nandrolone and stanozolol, which were FDA approved years ago, but now have no medical indications. “Designer” PEDs are often concocted by modifying T; their advantage is that monitoring organizations lack the wherewithal to detect them because of their unique chemical formulations. The two common patterns of PED usage are stacking and cycling. Stacking is using two or more PEDs simultaneously whereas cycling is an on—off schedule of use.

PEDs have no medical indications and a risk profile that includes the following: elevated blood pressure; abnormal cholesterol and lipid profiles; altered blood glucose; cardiac muscle enlargement; mood disorders including aggression and violence (“steroid rage”); increased rates of homicide and suicide; liver dysfunction; spontaneous tendon rupture; and endocrine issues including severe and irreversible testicular dysfunction. This contrasts with the use of T, which provides medical benefits and a relatively benign safety profile. Adverse effects of testosterone may include the following: acne; male breast growth; high red blood cell counts; testicular atrophy; prostate enlargement; decreased sperm production; ankle swelling.

In summary, testosterone deficiency is a genuine problem that can cause a myriad of quality of life as well as quantity of life issues. When deficiency symptoms are apparent and blood testing confirms the deficiency, testosterone replacement with careful physician monitoring is capable of improving or resolving these issues. On the other hand, the use of performance enhancing drugs for purposes of achieving anabolic benefits and thus conferring a sports advantage or edge is a very risky business and is not recommended.

Andrew Siegel, M.D.

Author of Promiscuous Eating: Understanding and Ending Our Self-Destructive Relationship with Food

www.PromiscuousEating.com

Now available on Amazon Kindle
|
The Rock
12/12/2013 11:24am
I can only speak from my persona experience but so far the program I'm on seems to be working. I have more energy and a much better appetite which allows me to exercise more which also results in my feeling better. I'm getting blood work done again next week so we can determine what my maintenance dosage is. 39 dollars a month going forward and hell I used to spend more than that on Red Bull.

I would like for DrMarkr to weigh in on this one as I don't want to hang my hat on just one person's/doctor's opinion.
Choppy
12/12/2013 4:18pm
Testosterone levels drop naturally over time and testosterone replacement therapy should not be allowed for athletes IMO. Athletes now get notes from their doctors in order to legally cheat. You see it constantly in the UFC where fighters have " low" testosterone levels in their 20's because more or less a "doctor" is payed to say/show it with tests. They then abuse the hell out of it, and have a doctor monitor the testosterone levels to make sure they are at the proper levels for the post fight drug tests.

You saw it with guys like Lesnar who would "disappear" to remote places in Canada, come back with more muscle mass than ever, and have a doctor make sure his levels where "natural".

I'm not saying it's not a medical condition. I am saying that athletes have a higher percentage of "low testosterone" then you see in the normal population and they abuse the system.

We will look back at the era of "low testosterone" as we do the PED era now.
Outsider
12/12/2013 4:49pm
Thanks for that Rock. As someone who has played with Steroids as well as GH, I know what the differences are from personal experience. Do you? Also, what does that have to do with MX? Does RV look like Barry Bonds?
The Rock
12/12/2013 5:48pm
Choppy-I am not suggesting TRT for athletes engaged in professional competition.

For those of you needing a boost and or for those of you that took painkillers for a long time I think TRT is worth investigating.

Outsider - you are welcome. I don't know the differences nor do I need to know. Regarding what does that have to with MX not much and is why I placed it in non moto.

The Shop

Choppy
12/13/2013 10:54am Edited Date/Time 12/13/2013 10:56am
The Rock wrote:
Choppy-I am not suggesting TRT for athletes engaged in professional competition. For those of you needing a boost and or for those of you that took...
Choppy-I am not suggesting TRT for athletes engaged in professional competition.

For those of you needing a boost and or for those of you that took painkillers for a long time I think TRT is worth investigating.

Outsider - you are welcome. I don't know the differences nor do I need to know. Regarding what does that have to with MX not much and is why I placed it in non moto.
Painkillers/ex-drug addicts of many kinds should, as well as people that abused steroids can run into those problems.
I figured you wanted to discuss synthetic Testosterone as not being a PED as the title stated Testosterone Replacement Therapy Vs. Performance Enhancing Drugs

My apologies if that was not the point of this thread.
Outsider
12/13/2013 11:59am
Choppy wrote:
Painkillers/ex-drug addicts of many kinds should, as well as people that abused steroids can run into those problems. I figured you wanted to discuss synthetic Testosterone...
Painkillers/ex-drug addicts of many kinds should, as well as people that abused steroids can run into those problems.
I figured you wanted to discuss synthetic Testosterone as not being a PED as the title stated Testosterone Replacement Therapy Vs. Performance Enhancing Drugs

My apologies if that was not the point of this thread.
Synthetic Testosterone is the best PED. But, that doesn't really fit in to the whole "PED's are bad and will kill you" way of thinking.
tp4
12/13/2013 12:10pm
I feel they are bad for you long term...liver problems and ...sludge build up,I won't ..each their own.
Choppy
12/13/2013 2:09pm Edited Date/Time 12/13/2013 2:13pm
Outsider wrote:
Synthetic Testosterone is the best PED. But, that doesn't really fit in to the whole "PED's are bad and will kill you" way of thinking.
People need to realize that an athletes job is to win.
And to win at any cost.
The PED testing turns into a part of the game that athletes need to beat in order to perform at the top level and most have no problem doing it.
Kobe and other basketball players need to run away to Germany, where they don't get tested, to get a "special" knee procedure that millionaires can't get in America.
Athletes running away to remote areas of Canada to " train" where WADA can't find them.
"Anti-aging" clinics, some even had doctors running and looking after the athletes getting the PEDS, was the big thing until a baseball investigation shut those down.

Now they get a doctors "note" that says they have "low testosterone." That will end and they will run to something else.

These sports don't care about keeping athletes clean.
They care about keeping the government away so they don't end up in something equivalent to a the baseball witch hunts that occurred and keeping public perception high.

If you watch a sport and get a hard on/excited because you think you're watching a bunch of "clean" athletes competing against each other, I honestly question your intelligence.

I watch sports and enjoy them, but I understand what they really are.

This is all in my opinion based off what information I have.
Outsider
12/13/2013 3:53pm
tp4 wrote:
I feel they are bad for you long term...liver problems and ...sludge build up,I won't ..each their own.
"They" are bad for you.

See, this is the point... what, exactly, are we talking about when we say that? Which ones? How much and how long of a duration? Generalizing this issue isn't working. A pro bodybuilder could use 1-2 grams of Testosterone Cypionate a week! An old guy with low T might use 100mg more or less a week... both are using the same thing, with very different results and side effects. Where then do you call it use or abuse?

There are a zillion different levels of PED use, from mild and pretty damn safe, to ridiculous and deadly.
The Rock
12/14/2013 12:00pm
Outsider - to answer your Moto question "if it has nothing to do" THE reason I put the same article in Moto was your lack of acknowledging you weren't correct (either of the times you posted it) that I was being hypocritical. On that particular subject I have nothing else to add either. You are entitled to your opinion as long as you don't present it as fact like you did in moto.
Choppy
12/14/2013 12:08pm Edited Date/Time 12/14/2013 12:12pm
The Rock wrote:
Outsider - to answer your Moto question "if it has nothing to do" THE reason I put the same article in Moto was your lack of...
Outsider - to answer your Moto question "if it has nothing to do" THE reason I put the same article in Moto was your lack of acknowledging you weren't correct (either of the times you posted it) that I was being hypocritical. On that particular subject I have nothing else to add either. You are entitled to your opinion as long as you don't present it as fact like you did in moto.
So... Synthetic testosterone is not a PED when a doctor regulates it, but is when a doctor does not?
Or
It's never a PED even though synthetic testosterone shows up different than the testosterone your body produces naturally on a test?
Or
It's not a PED because you WANT to use it, and therefore find it not?

Just want to clear this up.
Outsider
12/14/2013 12:31pm Edited Date/Time 12/14/2013 12:31pm
The Rock wrote:
Outsider - to answer your Moto question "if it has nothing to do" THE reason I put the same article in Moto was your lack of...
You're funny Rock.

My older brother got busted with weed when he was younger by my dad (his stepdad). He never told my dad that the weed was his and that he had stolen it from his private stash.

You remind me of my dad. "Do as I say, and not as I do".

Post a reply to: Testosterone Replacement Therapy Vs. Performance Enhancing Drugs

The Latest