Tesla pickup truck reveal tonight

Falcon
Fantasy
765th
11/25/2019 2:08pm
Built-in ramp? Cool. Instant torque? Cool. Matching ATV? OK, not cool, but at least thought-provoking. Venture Capitalism? Cool. Just F'ing don't make it look like a gleaming alloy wedge salad. Holy crap, I can't get over how ugly it is. It's almost like they spent millions of dollars and assembled a small team of experts to R&D the perfect definition of ugly. And here it is.
XXVoid MainXX
11/25/2019 3:11pm
Ah what the hell, I just ordered a dual motor with full self driving. Smile
JAFO92
11/25/2019 4:07pm
Ah what the hell, I just ordered a dual motor with full self driving. Smile

Void: "Get to Mars,,,,, NOW."

The Shop

XXVoid MainXX
11/25/2019 6:06pm
Come on Elon, the 150 wasn't even in 4-wheel drive:

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1198751258384818176
KHI Guy wrote:
There's the video of a my truck getting abducted by a UFO, hahaha.
Good idea! I need to update my UFO video! Smile
11/26/2019 4:31am
You have no clue what you are talking about. Solar tech is nowhere near that of conventional power generation methods (nuclear, oil, and to a very small extent, coal). As someone who works in the power industry for over 2 decades, I know what is up.
11/26/2019 4:39am
Sounds like there will be a solar option that will charge at about 15 miles per day. As little as I drive my truck it should...
Sounds like there will be a solar option that will charge at about 15 miles per day. As little as I drive my truck it should keep itself fully charged almost year round. I shouldn't have to plug it in except for long trips. Still have to figure out how to charge the truck with a trailer hooked up on my Colorado trips. Maybe just throw a couple of power walls in the trailer.
I work in the power industry and several years back, we bought a electric vehicle to reflect the "Going green" initiative. We built a solar charging station for it, but had to covertly run underground utilities to actually charge it as the solar panel would not even charge a single vehicle on a regular basis. Solar has a ways to go before it is a realistic option to replace traditional power generation.
XXVoid MainXX
11/26/2019 5:24am
My dad's solar array seems to be powering his farm fairly well.
11/26/2019 6:01am
My dad's solar array seems to be powering his farm fairly well.
You must top secret tech, or super low usage, cause the technology is not there.
11/26/2019 6:10am Edited Date/Time 11/26/2019 6:47am
I'm not against solar and I believe we will get there one day, but solar is 100% dependant on the sun, so on cloudy days, at night, rainy days, 0% output. 99% of the solar farms that have popped up over the last couple of years were due to gov tax incentives and grants, they contribute very little to the grid. The same goes for wind turbines, no wind, no power. You can kill hundreds of acres of beneficial trees to make less than a 1/3 of the power that one gas turbine generator that takes up less than .2 of one acre generates running on natural gas with very low nox emmissions.
side-pipe
Fantasy
3277th
11/26/2019 7:16am
I think if ole Elon would make something that would bolt in place of a SBC to allow the gear heads to mess with it he would make a killing.

Idk if thats a motor in place of a ICE that spins a flywheel still connected to a trans and diff or if its just a big battery that bolts in place of the ICE and the package comes with a rear axle that houses the 2 motors.
early
Fantasy
2139th
11/26/2019 7:25am
side-pipe wrote:
I think if ole Elon would make something that would bolt in place of a SBC to allow the gear heads to mess with it he...
I think if ole Elon would make something that would bolt in place of a SBC to allow the gear heads to mess with it he would make a killing.

Idk if thats a motor in place of a ICE that spins a flywheel still connected to a trans and diff or if its just a big battery that bolts in place of the ICE and the package comes with a rear axle that houses the 2 motors.
Integrating the motor is the easy part, integrating the batteries and sufficient management system is the hard part.
tcannon521
Fantasy
1301st
11/26/2019 9:26am
I work in the power industry and several years back, we bought a electric vehicle to reflect the "Going green" initiative. We built a solar charging...
I work in the power industry and several years back, we bought a electric vehicle to reflect the "Going green" initiative. We built a solar charging station for it, but had to covertly run underground utilities to actually charge it as the solar panel would not even charge a single vehicle on a regular basis. Solar has a ways to go before it is a realistic option to replace traditional power generation.
Cool story bro, unfortunately none of it jives with real life. It sounds like your math was off or something.

I have plenty of friends who power their home and vehicle off their house’s solar array. I would be doing the same if my HOA wasn’t so controlling or my wife didn’t stop me from pushing back on them.
colintrax
Fantasy
2302nd
11/26/2019 9:28am
side-pipe wrote:
I think if ole Elon would make something that would bolt in place of a SBC to allow the gear heads to mess with it he...

Theres kits out there to convert old vehicles to electric. I considered it with an old ranger, but to get the range I wanted it would've been something like $30k. That was of course, many years ago and aiming for 200 miles give or take.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3682nd
11/26/2019 9:50am
View this post on Instagram

ELECTRIC BOOGALOOS I would like to start of by saying electric cars and motorcycles can F*ck Off!. Ok now that we have that out of the way I can explain exactly why. First and foremost let’s talk about the Ohh so “planet friendly” Formula E racing series. Now at first glance you might think that this “clean” form of racing must be the way of the future, right?? Not so much. Let take a peek at what’s really going on. The very first indication this might be Bullshit is the 20 CAT Diesel generators in the pits running full throttle charging the batteries for these cars. Each car uses two 550 pound Lithium batteries per race. These batteries put out 250KW of power, and have a maximum output of 54KWH (kilowatt hours). On the high side the average U.S. home uses about 20KWH of power per day. One Formula E car, in one race uses four times that in 50 minutes. The recent Hong Kong race had 25 cars on the grid, using fifty 550lb Lithium batteries in 50 minutes. That’s a total of 2700 Kilowatt Hours. Or more than enough to power 10 homes for a month. That’s a lot of juice! Also the five power-plants in Hong Kong are powered by Diesel, Coal, and Gasoline. Whoopsie! Now let’s take a look at these newfangled Lithium batteries. The big companies hawking electric cars and motorcycles would love you to believe that Fossil fuel is so harmful, and electric power is so clean. It’s actually the opposite. We are swapping a carbon monoxide problem that is fixable and controllable. For a toxic Lithium mining that kills wild life, ruins the water table and destroys agriculture. The mining process uses a ton of water. A million gallons of water per 2 metric tons of lithium(Each Tesla has 12 kilos of Lithium). In some South American countries like Chile. Lithium mining uses almost 70% of the countries water supply. Also if you are naive enough to think that there isn’t a bunch of diesel powered machinery used in the process? Think again. These Lithium batteries also leave a toxic footprint on the way out. Contamination of landfills and seeping into the water table.........

A post shared by Jesse James (@popeofwelding) on Nov 24, 2019 at 8:23am PST

11/26/2019 10:23am
I work in the power industry and several years back, we bought a electric vehicle to reflect the "Going green" initiative. We built a solar charging...
tcannon521 wrote:
Cool story bro, unfortunately none of it jives with real life. It sounds like your math was off or something. I have plenty of friends who...
Cool story bro, unfortunately none of it jives with real life. It sounds like your math was off or something.

I have plenty of friends who power their home and vehicle off their house’s solar array. I would be doing the same if my HOA wasn’t so controlling or my wife didn’t stop me from pushing back on them.
I bet their power meter spins backwards and the power company pays them too......
peelout
11/26/2019 11:28am
tcannon521 wrote:
Cool story bro, unfortunately none of it jives with real life. It sounds like your math was off or something. I have plenty of friends who...

your story was way cooler than his story, bro

i hope you tell it again sometime
tcannon521
Fantasy
1301st
11/26/2019 12:05pm
peelout wrote:

You better get off Vital or you’re going to miss happy hour at Tilted Kilt.
11/26/2019 12:36pm
tcannon521 wrote:

Correct facts bro, real life facts.....
XXVoid MainXX
11/26/2019 1:00pm
It appears that this thread has been VitalMXed. Smile
tcannon521
Fantasy
1301st
11/26/2019 2:02pm Edited Date/Time 11/26/2019 2:15pm
tcannon521 wrote:

Fine lets dig into your post:

You stated, "solar panel" which means one panel. You also stated, "several years back" so based on these statements I'm going to assume you had a single panel producing about 200w. This 200w panel would produce about 1.5kW of electricity per day in a best case scenario. You didn't state what electric vehicle you purchased but with it being several years back I'm going to assume it was a Nissan Leaf. A Nissan Leaf of that time got about 280wh/mi. So your single panel produced you approximately 6 miles of range per day.

Like I said, you either suck at math based on the system you installed or you don't under as much about the energy sector as you would like to think you do.

JAFO92
11/26/2019 2:16pm

tcannon521
Fantasy
1301st
11/26/2019 2:16pm
tcannon521 wrote:

P.S. I have a lot of questions on why you did a solar charger but didn't want to get in the weeds with it on the other post. Why did you not just install a charger in your garage or on the side of your house? Did you tie your charger or solar panel into your home electrical system? If not, why? Did you have battery storage for the energy captured if you weren't charging during the day and it wasn't tied in?
side-pipe
Fantasy
3277th
11/26/2019 4:36pm
tcannon521 wrote:

peelout wrote:

I bet peelout has a generator that would charge that thing lighting quick.
11/26/2019 4:37pm
tcannon521 wrote:

tcannon521 wrote:
P.S. I have a lot of questions on why you did a solar charger but didn't want to get in the weeds with it on the...
P.S. I have a lot of questions on why you did a solar charger but didn't want to get in the weeds with it on the other post. Why did you not just install a charger in your garage or on the side of your house? Did you tie your charger or solar panel into your home electrical system? If not, why? Did you have battery storage for the energy captured if you weren't charging during the day and it wasn't tied in?
I may not be a math genius, but you suck at reading comprehension. The company I work for, not me bought the car, a Prius. Engineers with a masters degree and PE license spec'd and installed it. I guess what you researched on the internet trumps their years of education and experience. I concede you are right on everything and all if the engineers I work with and Toyota who gave them the specs are wrong. I give, you know it all.
tcannon521
Fantasy
1301st
11/26/2019 7:49pm Edited Date/Time 11/26/2019 8:37pm
I may not be a math genius, but you suck at reading comprehension. The company I work for, not me bought the car, a Prius. Engineers...
I may not be a math genius, but you suck at reading comprehension. The company I work for, not me bought the car, a Prius. Engineers with a masters degree and PE license spec'd and installed it. I guess what you researched on the internet trumps their years of education and experience. I concede you are right on everything and all if the engineers I work with and Toyota who gave them the specs are wrong. I give, you know it all.
Perhaps your sentence structure sucks... you never stated a company did it. Your comment was, “we built a solar charging station” and I thought you said the vehicle was for your wife in a previous post.... Regardless, if they didn’t tie it in they were an idiot. For the record, you didn’t have an electric vehicle, you had a plug in hybrid. Your negative statements are also assuming technology hasn’t improved in the last 3 to 6 years. For reference, Tesla has improved their sedan’s range (full electric) from 253 to 370 miles in that timeframe.

Lastly, if you think I pulled all this data up without understanding what I’m talking about, I have some oceanfront property in Arizona for sale if you’re interested.
tcannon521
Fantasy
1301st
11/26/2019 8:04pm
I may not be a math genius, but you suck at reading comprehension. The company I work for, not me bought the car, a Prius. Engineers...
A quick google search on the plugin Prius shows it had a 4.4kWh pack and was designed to charge on a standard 120v outlet. The small pack would charge in 3 hours on 120v. The 2020 model with its larger pack will charge in 5 hours on 120v.

I’m sorry but I have a feeling someone either oversold you on what you needed or didn’t know what they were doing. Either way, I hate you had a bad experience with being an early adopter. Hopefully, you’ll give it another chance down the road because the new (especially Tesla) electric vehicles are really fun to drive.
11/27/2019 3:05am
tcannon521 wrote:
Perhaps your sentence structure sucks... you never stated a company did it. Your comment was, “we built a solar charging station” and I thought you said...
Perhaps your sentence structure sucks... you never stated a company did it. Your comment was, “we built a solar charging station” and I thought you said the vehicle was for your wife in a previous post.... Regardless, if they didn’t tie it in they were an idiot. For the record, you didn’t have an electric vehicle, you had a plug in hybrid. Your negative statements are also assuming technology hasn’t improved in the last 3 to 6 years. For reference, Tesla has improved their sedan’s range (full electric) from 253 to 370 miles in that timeframe.

Lastly, if you think I pulled all this data up without understanding what I’m talking about, I have some oceanfront property in Arizona for sale if you’re interested.
Youre just making shit up now, my wife never came into any discussion on here. But anyways, youre right, everyone else us wrong. I bow down to your superior intellect and ability to make up stories, next level shit, but i'm done.
XXVoid MainXX
11/27/2019 5:01pm
Come on Elon, the 150 wasn't even in 4-wheel drive:

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1198751258384818176
KHI Guy wrote:

Post a reply to: Tesla pickup truck reveal tonight

The Latest