Tesla pickup truck

tcannon521
Fantasy
1301st
6/17/2019 8:18pm
APLMAN99 wrote:
I wasn't trying to be overly snarky, just pointing out that some car companies who've done some pretty decent things have not been successful long term...
I wasn't trying to be overly snarky, just pointing out that some car companies who've done some pretty decent things have not been successful long term for any number of reasons.

I think Tesla has done some great things and has several more great things on tap, but at the same time I wouldn't find it a complete shock if circumstances ended up with them merging with another OEM, or not being able to finish their plans because of financial issues, etc.

They've definitely changed the trajectory of EVs, and we'd not be nearly as farther along without them.
borg wrote:
It is the opinion of many guys in the car bidness that the best thing that could happen is for a real manufacturing guy to take...
It is the opinion of many guys in the car bidness that the best thing that could happen is for a real manufacturing guy to take over that part of the operation. Musk is many things but at times thinks he is better than anybody at whatever he decides to do but he's not. He is good at wowing people with money but at some point Tesla has to start making a steady profit. Another 10 years of promises probably wont fly.
That’s the FUD talking. The reality is no one has came close to accomplishing what he has in less than 10 years. The “car business people” are literally 5 years behind him in most aspects of the EV market. The GM CEO just stated that Tesla’s ability to do over the air updates is amazing and they hope to match it starting in 2022....

Tesla may not always come off the line as fast as Ford, they might suffer from failures higher than Toyota and they may never make as many vehicles as Volkswagen but don’t be fooled into thinking they aren’t the leaders in innovation and trying their damnedest to catch up where they fall short.

Bob Lutz just finished an article on the Model 3 and he reluctantly had to give it excellent marks in craftsmanship. He’s the king of the Tesla FUD predicting their demise every 3 months on any cable news station that will listen.
APLMAN99
6/17/2019 8:46pm
APLMAN99 wrote:
I wasn't trying to be overly snarky, just pointing out that some car companies who've done some pretty decent things have not been successful long term...
I wasn't trying to be overly snarky, just pointing out that some car companies who've done some pretty decent things have not been successful long term for any number of reasons.

I think Tesla has done some great things and has several more great things on tap, but at the same time I wouldn't find it a complete shock if circumstances ended up with them merging with another OEM, or not being able to finish their plans because of financial issues, etc.

They've definitely changed the trajectory of EVs, and we'd not be nearly as farther along without them.
tcannon521 wrote:
Tesla has a value which is usually similar to GM and more than Ford. Neither could get close to buying Tesla. I’ve been lucky enough to...
Tesla has a value which is usually similar to GM and more than Ford. Neither could get close to buying Tesla. I’ve been lucky enough to tour Telsa’s factory in Fremont and it’s nothing short of amazing. Most people have no idea how big they are or how many components are made by them instead of being outsourced. Tesla currently has the 3rd largest building (larger than the Vatican) in the world and once the GigaFactory in NV is complete it will be the largest in the world. They also own one of three in the world largest body panel presses. The new press they are installing will make the Model 3 chassis in one stamp compared to the current 70+ welded pieces. Let’s not forget the plant going up in China at record pace currently....

Tesla is using more batteries now than the whole world was using combined 5 years ago. They are now working through battery cell production and like every other new challenge Elon will succeed better than anyone else. Every business he’s in is bleeding edge technology. Most have never even been considered before in the private sector. The negative to bleeding edge is less profitability but don’t be fooled, Tesla will likely win out in the end.

I'm not sure that I said that Tesla would be "bought", but I suppose that's possible. A company with a larger value/market cap can be bought by a "smaller" company as well, depending on liabilities, cash flows, etc.

I'm not predicting that Tesla necessarily merges with another auto company, but again it wouldn't completely shock me either. Should Musk decide that SpaceX is more important to him, it's entirely possible that he'd want to get as much as possible for his Tesla investment from potentially another automaker. Should he be out of the picture, I think a decent amount of the large, institutional investors would be in favor of an auto company at the helm. I think that would limit Tesla's ability to develop products as quickly, but could possibly stabilize their business just a bit.

All conjecture, obviously, and certainly not a slam on Tesla.

What is "FUD"?
tunedlength
6/17/2019 9:47pm
Had to look that one up myself
FUD
Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt, usually evoked intentionally in order to put a competitor at a disadvantage.
"the FUD factor"
brlatm
6/18/2019 1:57am
RONJ OSE wrote:
I’m considering the ged tune is it worth it though? I have a 17 with 19k big horn and love it How’s you’re experience with the...
I’m considering the ged tune is it worth it though?
I have a 17 with 19k big horn and love it
How’s you’re experience with the GED
I have no clue what it was like before it, my wife bought the truck and drove it while I was overseas for me. I literally came home and installed it the very first day home. Not putting DEF in but every 10k miles is nice though.

The Shop

RONJ OSE
6/18/2019 5:38am Edited Date/Time 6/18/2019 6:59am
RONJ OSE wrote:
I’m considering the ged tune is it worth it though? I have a 17 with 19k big horn and love it How’s you’re experience with the...
I’m considering the ged tune is it worth it though?
I have a 17 with 19k big horn and love it
How’s you’re experience with the GED
brlatm wrote:
I have no clue what it was like before it, my wife bought the truck and drove it while I was overseas for me. I literally...
I have no clue what it was like before it, my wife bought the truck and drove it while I was overseas for me. I literally came home and installed it the very first day home. Not putting DEF in but every 10k miles is nice though.
Well sounds like a good deal,
With no tune you have to fill up def every 10-15as well
I think I am going to go for it!
FLmxer
Fantasy
989th
6/18/2019 6:52am
I think I might grab one and see what it's all about or maybe get my daughter one. I love my Duramax Silverado so much, it's the first vehicle that I love to drive out of dozens of vehicles over the years but I like to upgrade as often as possible. I honestly have not even looked at one of the Tesla up close but hear they are really nice and if charging stations are readily available and the range is ok then sounds like it would be a cool to experience the new technology at the least.
I would like to see them succeed.
tcannon521
Fantasy
1301st
6/18/2019 7:04am Edited Date/Time 6/18/2019 7:04am
Klaus Zellmer the CEO of Porsche Cars North America just wrote an opinion piece on electric vehicles.

Article
borg
6/18/2019 8:06am
APLMAN99 wrote:

borg wrote:
It is the opinion of many guys in the car bidness that the best thing that could happen is for a real manufacturing guy to take...
It is the opinion of many guys in the car bidness that the best thing that could happen is for a real manufacturing guy to take over that part of the operation. Musk is many things but at times thinks he is better than anybody at whatever he decides to do but he's not. He is good at wowing people with money but at some point Tesla has to start making a steady profit. Another 10 years of promises probably wont fly.
tcannon521 wrote:
That’s the FUD talking. The reality is no one has came close to accomplishing what he has in less than 10 years. The “car business people”...
That’s the FUD talking. The reality is no one has came close to accomplishing what he has in less than 10 years. The “car business people” are literally 5 years behind him in most aspects of the EV market. The GM CEO just stated that Tesla’s ability to do over the air updates is amazing and they hope to match it starting in 2022....

Tesla may not always come off the line as fast as Ford, they might suffer from failures higher than Toyota and they may never make as many vehicles as Volkswagen but don’t be fooled into thinking they aren’t the leaders in innovation and trying their damnedest to catch up where they fall short.

Bob Lutz just finished an article on the Model 3 and he reluctantly had to give it excellent marks in craftsmanship. He’s the king of the Tesla FUD predicting their demise every 3 months on any cable news station that will listen.
I don't obsess over Tesla or EV's but I do pay attention to the investing world and also have a pretty good ear for bullshit. There is no shortage of it on CNBC but there are also people on there who have skin in the game and know what they are talking about. The chatter I was referring to came from 2 of Tesla's investors and a couple of institutional investors who specialize in the auto industry.

Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one but results speak for themselves. I can go anywhere on the web and hear all kinds of Tesla fluff. It all sounds like political pundits defending their team to me. Many of his detractors are no different. White noise to me. The income statement and balance sheet however tell their own story. Doesn't mean everything but at least you get some real info without the politics.
avidchimp
Fantasy
1102nd
7/23/2019 5:31pm
I want one.
I'm so close to pulling the trigger on a new F-150 or Ram, but I'd wait for an all electric.
Motoxdoc
7/23/2019 5:33pm
RONJ OSE wrote:
Look Tesla smh oh I drive electric, I don’t care Gas cars are faster for the same price On trucks I just say Ram ECODIESEL and...
Look Tesla smh oh I drive electric, I don’t care
Gas cars are faster for the same price
On trucks I just say Ram ECODIESEL and we should not look any further
If I had a Ram truck and Tesla announced they were making an electric truck that sells for less than $50,000 and makes Ram trucks “look puny”...I would probably say the same thing.
XXVoid MainXX
7/23/2019 5:37pm
I want one.
avidchimp wrote:
I'm so close to pulling the trigger on a new F-150 or Ram, but I'd wait for an all electric.
I have a '14 F150 Super Crew and really like it. Much better than the '04 Super Crew I had before it. I don't really need a new truck any time soon but by the time they start rolling those out I might be ready. Hope it's affordable.
avidchimp
Fantasy
1102nd
7/23/2019 5:43pm
I have a '14 F150 Super Crew and really like it. Much better than the '04 Super Crew I had before it. I don't really need...
I have a '14 F150 Super Crew and really like it. Much better than the '04 Super Crew I had before it. I don't really need a new truck any time soon but by the time they start rolling those out I might be ready. Hope it's affordable.
I've been driving my '06 F-150 4.6 XL for 13 years now. I really hate the idea of a payment, but I'm over having no power whatsoever in every way. It is manual everything. lol

That and my commute is less than a mile, so electric would be perfect for me.Don't know if I can wait that long though.
77Moto
7/23/2019 6:22pm
SEE ARE125 wrote:
Bumping because Ford just threw out this gauntlet today.

https://youtu.be/bXFHgoon7lg
Do people actually buy into these fake videos?

I'll bet off roaders worldwide are wondering where they can buy a tow strap with a + million pound strength.
Worse yet, they didn't take the one single precaution everyone does(Should) when towing with a strap or a chain.

SEE ARE125
7/23/2019 6:38pm
SEE ARE125 wrote:

77Moto wrote:
Do people actually buy into these fake videos? I'll bet off roaders worldwide are wondering where they can buy a tow strap with a + million...

I'll bet off roaders worldwide are wondering where they can buy a tow strap with a + million pound strength.
Worse yet, they didn't take the one single precaution everyone does(Should) when towing with a strap or a chain.

It’s not a million pounds.... Like I said about the Tesla and Tundra doing these stunts, the number they throw out is the weight, NOT the resistance. 1,000,000lb train with free rolling wheels has a resistance of 50,000lbs. Straps with a 50,000lb W.L.L.(working load limit) aren’t hard to come by.
avidchimp
Fantasy
1102nd
7/23/2019 10:27pm
SEE ARE125 wrote:

77Moto wrote:
Do people actually buy into these fake videos? I'll bet off roaders worldwide are wondering where they can buy a tow strap with a + million...

Stick to snowmobiles and mortgages.
bernnet
7/24/2019 12:59am
The front-end of the tesla truck looks a bit weird.
Falcon
Fantasy
765th
7/31/2019 10:34am
It's getting real now. One of these companies is going to hit a home run pretty soon. I like the Atlis XT on paper, even though I think they should have called it "Atlas":

The thing is apparently 4WD with a motor at each wheel, has storage space where a conventional ICE engine would be, recharges in 15 minutes, and the largest version can go 500 miles on a charge. They plan to configure vehicles in a "choose your option" manner; no more "you can't get that with this package." These guys are promising huge towing numbers too (larger than the GVWR is likely to allow, of course.) We'll see...

https://www.atlismotorvehicles.com/xt-truck
SEE ARE125
7/31/2019 10:38am Edited Date/Time 7/31/2019 10:38am
^^ That the equivalent to a 3/4 ton? Noticed the 8 lug wheels. Also, where’s the mirrors?
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3682nd
7/31/2019 11:05am
SEE ARE125 wrote:
^^ That the equivalent to a 3/4 ton? Noticed the 8 lug wheels. Also, where’s the mirrors?
No mirrors. Just cameras and interior screens.
early
Fantasy
2139th
7/31/2019 11:16am Edited Date/Time 7/31/2019 11:18am
SEE ARE125 wrote:
-MAVERICK- wrote:
I hate this idea. Let's throw away stuff that works great and reliably just because we don't like the aethetics of it. Vehicle computer will probably disable it if all cameras/sensors are not functioning.
SEE ARE125
7/31/2019 11:51am Edited Date/Time 7/31/2019 11:54am
SEE ARE125 wrote:
-MAVERICK- wrote:
early wrote:
I hate this idea. Let's throw away stuff that works great and reliably just because we don't like the aethetics of it. Vehicle computer will probably...
I hate this idea. Let's throw away stuff that works great and reliably just because we don't like the aethetics of it. Vehicle computer will probably disable it if all cameras/sensors are not functioning.
I agree, but on the bright side now that it’s on a screen my wife might finally start using the fucking things. Laughing

Call me old fashioned but I’d rather use a mirror. With a camera you’re stuck with what’s within the camera’s field of vision. With a mirror you can move your head a little left/right or up/down to get larger picture of what’s going on.
XXVoid MainXX
7/31/2019 1:26pm
It will have to have mirrors unless they change the law. Tesla wanted to use cameras instead of mirrors but apparently that's not legal in the US (yet). Unless something has changed.
Falcon
Fantasy
765th
7/31/2019 4:23pm
I was cracking up about the mirrors too. Not DOT legal as far as I know.

Post a reply to: Tesla pickup truck

The Latest