Tension headaches

Does anyone else get these? It feels like my head has been cranked down in a vice for 3-4 weeks and I really need some relief. I've been taking excedrin but it doesn't help that much. I think these are more anxiety related, which I've had no shortage of recently. And when my head starts hurting it just gets worse. I have a doctor app this week for something else but I doubt they will do anything. I've been a miserable bastard lately thanks to these and my primary doctor is kind of a prick, so if anyone has any advice I would appreciate it. No one in my circle cares or offers any help so I'm turning to you guys. You guys always have my back. I want my damn life back, this shit sucks. Thanks
|
crowe660
Fantasy
4066th
4/25/2022 1:47am
I’ve had really bad migraines since I was about 10. Aside from opiates (which I’ve given up on trying to get), excedrin is the only thing that “works”. There were times I took more than I should, but it rarely doesn’t work. I’ve tried all the migraine specific stuff, and non of it really helps, changed diet and eliminated “triggers” etc.. I’ve just accepted it now.

Excedrin and a really hot shower is my go to when it gets bad. It works more than it doesn’t.

4/25/2022 6:27am
I know a lot of people on here don't believe it has merit, but I would suggest trying a chiropractor. I have experience with tension headaches, migraines, etc., and I can only speak from my own personal experience. Getting adjusted has helped me in the past when I've been in an ongoing state of pain.
FLmxer
Fantasy
905th
4/26/2022 10:22am
Sorry to hear that. Do you drink caffeine? Sometimes if you consume a lot and then quit for awhile it causes head aches. I get them from a kink in my neck on the right side and I can push on a spot and it temporarily stops the pain. Like blocking an artery or something in my right side just under my skull. Also I have a food allergy so if I eat gluten I get a 10 headache. It's sucks to find that out as an adult but knowing fixed a lot. Hope you figure it out and are feeling better soon.
alphado
4/26/2022 10:36am
In Canada you can get Exedrin with Codeine in it over the counter. Works like a champ for me. Too bad we can't get it here because I'm almost out.

The Shop

whyZ
4/26/2022 10:39am
How bad are your sinuses? This year has been particularly bad for people who suffer with sinuses problems. If you had Covid, never rule out the after effects and even some long-haulers mixed in. Speaking for myself, I always work on trying to control inflammation first, then move on other remedies.
HD1200
4/26/2022 10:43am
Excedrin is good but not nearly as good as BC Powders. When I get tension or migraine headaches I take 2 BC Powders. With the tension headache's they will subside within a few minutes, it's different with a migraine but still helps considerably. As mentioned in a previous post, a chiropractor could help as well.
Chance1216
4/26/2022 12:15pm
Might want to think about seeing a chiropractor. I get migraines but, I have three vertebrae in my neck fused together by arthritis causing it. After a couple sessions of getting my neck cracked, I can say it actually helped. My neck always felt super tight, as did my my upper shoulders and, base of my neck. My chiropractor was able to manipulate and, work around the arthritis. It actually helped a bit with my range of motion turning my head to.
Jeremy A.K.
4/26/2022 1:21pm
Advil cold and sinus does the trick for me . If that doesn't work i know im in for some punishement
Brad460
Fantasy
736th
4/26/2022 1:40pm
I find I get headaches if I go to bed dehydrated, if I need a new set of contacts (older contacts will make my eyes hurt causing a headache) or grinding my teeth/clinching my jaw if I am stressed out with work.

For me ibuprofen and a Pepsi (caffeine) seem to take care of my headaches. Or combined with a hot shower.

ToolMaker
Fantasy
726th
4/26/2022 3:23pm
Someone mentioned sinus as a cause, this is often overlooked but could very well be the culprit.
I wake up most mornings with a headache. Just something I deal with. Wake up in the morning and
see a firework show in my eyes. Ocular migraine they call it. But I'm not allowed to take asprin, motrin,
tylenol so I typically take nothing. Caffeine seems to help me a lot. The only good thing is that it's early
in the morning and the house is quiet so it's a lot easier to deal with than during commotion.
TM
Wildeye511
4/26/2022 3:23pm
I get migraines and I went to my doc and was prescribed Imitrex and Naproxen. For the most part this works for me about 95% of the time. Prior to this I tried all the over the counter stuff and nothing happened. I also have to stay in a dim lit room until they go away. I don't drink any coffee or much caffeine and the doc told me that if I feel one coming on, try drinking a soda or coffee and sometimes it has helped, but overall I am fortunate that the pills work.
crowe660
Fantasy
4066th
4/26/2022 5:21pm
Brad460 wrote:
I find I get headaches if I go to bed dehydrated, if I need a new set of contacts (older contacts will make my eyes hurt...
I find I get headaches if I go to bed dehydrated, if I need a new set of contacts (older contacts will make my eyes hurt causing a headache) or grinding my teeth/clinching my jaw if I am stressed out with work.

For me ibuprofen and a Pepsi (caffeine) seem to take care of my headaches. Or combined with a hot shower.

The dehydration is a huge one for me too. It was almost like clockwork when I used to race harescrambles or Moto in the middle of summer. By the time I’d get home, if I didn’t have excedrin, I was done for the rest of the night.

Headaches are the fucking worst.
4/26/2022 10:19pm
Thanks for the replies guys. Like someone said none of the over the counter meds help which makes me think these are 100% anxiety/muscle tension related. I had a great day today and was feeling like myself up until about 6-7pm. Then one hit me. It wasn't as bad but it's so f*cking annoying. I may cancel my DR app Thursday because I know they won't do anything. At this point in just trying to relax which helps.
4/26/2022 10:32pm
I drink caffeine. Usually a small coffee in the morning and a 16oz energy drink. I've been doing this for years so I don't think that's the problem. I think I just manifest in my head way too much and need to enjoy things more. That's what I did today and I felt great.
Sully
4/26/2022 11:27pm
FLmxer wrote:
Sorry to hear that. Do you drink caffeine? Sometimes if you consume a lot and then quit for awhile it causes head aches. I get them...
Sorry to hear that. Do you drink caffeine? Sometimes if you consume a lot and then quit for awhile it causes head aches. I get them from a kink in my neck on the right side and I can push on a spot and it temporarily stops the pain. Like blocking an artery or something in my right side just under my skull. Also I have a food allergy so if I eat gluten I get a 10 headache. It's sucks to find that out as an adult but knowing fixed a lot. Hope you figure it out and are feeling better soon.
I was sick as hell a couple of weeks ago for about 3 days. On the morning of the third day, I woke up feeling like someone was driving an ice pick into the back of my head, and couldn't figure out why. Thought about it for a few minutes, and realized I hadn't had coffee since I got sick, so I brewed a cup...stupid headache was gone in about an hour. I'll never underestimate the addictive power of caffeine again.
alphado
4/27/2022 5:56am
I get these. No warning, just out of the blue I can't see out of the side of my eyes. Had it happen twice this past weekend. I take Zolmitriptan and it usually helps my vision. I get migraines that come in 3 day cycles. I can control them with meds so far but they are always 3 days. Find myself getting irritable for a few days before they hit too.

4/28/2022 7:52am
Chance1216 wrote:
Might want to think about seeing a chiropractor. I get migraines but, I have three vertebrae in my neck fused together by arthritis causing it. After...
Might want to think about seeing a chiropractor. I get migraines but, I have three vertebrae in my neck fused together by arthritis causing it. After a couple sessions of getting my neck cracked, I can say it actually helped. My neck always felt super tight, as did my my upper shoulders and, base of my neck. My chiropractor was able to manipulate and, work around the arthritis. It actually helped a bit with my range of motion turning my head to.
Yeah chiropractor r amazing what they can do. I started going to 1 in 7th grade he was old school. I just had an adjustment wed. I spent a week trying to relieve the muscle knots in a whirlpool , pool and sauna. I had 4 pads of electric stimulation on neck and below neck. Stretching machine for lower back after that. I pay cash 40 bucks. I notice after driving in winter storms that my neck and upper muscles r really tight. From the intensity from starring threw a milk shake. You can get that from starring at a computer screen also.
4/29/2022 11:15pm
I want to thank everyone again for the replies. Looks like I'm not the only one suffering. This week wasn't perfect but it was much better. Instead of having an episode every day it's only happened twice this week and much less severe. I'm convinced these are 100 percent connected to my anxiety. Which has been much better lately. I just need to convince my body that everything is okay and that life is good. My mind is finally convinced, which took a lot of work.

I canceled my DR app because I was feeling so good this week but I may make another one. In the mean time I'm just gonna focus on relaxing my body and mind, and reminding myself that everything is gonna be okay.

Post a reply to: Tension headaches

The Latest