Tell us something you know, but most people may not

sumdood
Fantasy
1267th
11/6/2019 8:31am
reded wrote:
When building on to existing PVC or CPVC line and for some reason can’t get the water to stop trickling out while trying to glue fittings...
When building on to existing PVC or CPVC line and for some reason can’t get the water to stop trickling out while trying to glue fittings in place, you can stuff a piece of white bread in the line to clog it long enough for glue to dry. The bread will dissolve and not clog anything downstream.
^Yup. Good stuff. Also works for soldering a drippy line too.

If you're ever in a pinch for a 2 " x 1-1/2" pvc reducer, an 1-1/2" piece of pvc pipe is almost a perfect fit inside of a 2" CPVC schedule 80 nipple. Close enough to use as a reducer if it's the difference between "Now" and a 45 minute parts run.
borg
11/6/2019 8:45am
reded wrote:
When building on to existing PVC or CPVC line and for some reason can’t get the water to stop trickling out while trying to glue fittings...
When building on to existing PVC or CPVC line and for some reason can’t get the water to stop trickling out while trying to glue fittings in place, you can stuff a piece of white bread in the line to clog it long enough for glue to dry. The bread will dissolve and not clog anything downstream.
sumdood wrote:
^Yup. Good stuff. Also works for soldering a drippy line too. If you're ever in a pinch for a 2 " x 1-1/2" pvc reducer, an...

If you're ever in a pinch for a 2 " x 1-1/2" pvc reducer, an 1-1/2" piece of pvc pipe is almost a perfect fit inside of a 2" CPVC schedule 80 nipple. Close enough to use as a reducer if it's the difference between "Now" and a 45 minute parts run.
Almost impossible to completely drain a copper line under a house. Under certain circumstances I have gone upstream and cut the pipe, did the sweat job and put in a compression coupling where I cut it. Even bread didn't work. Thankfully most of the old gate valves are being replaced by ball valves.
mx295
11/6/2019 9:20am
Jeffery Epstein didn't kill himself.
sumdood
Fantasy
1267th
11/6/2019 9:58am
reded wrote:
sumdood wrote:
^Yup. Good stuff. Also works for soldering a drippy line too. If you're ever in a pinch for a 2 " x 1-1/2" pvc reducer, an...

borg wrote:
Almost impossible to completely drain a copper line under a house. Under certain circumstances I have gone upstream and cut the pipe, did the sweat job...
Almost impossible to completely drain a copper line under a house. Under certain circumstances I have gone upstream and cut the pipe, did the sweat job and put in a compression coupling where I cut it. Even bread didn't work. Thankfully most of the old gate valves are being replaced by ball valves.
Nothing more fun than thinking it’s dry, then have the water left in the pipe get drawn to the heat, build up some steam and spit molten solder on you. I like the compression fitting upstream idea 👍 Good one, I’ll file that in the memory bank

The Shop

sumdood
Fantasy
1267th
11/6/2019 10:03am
I guess a related one is whenever I change out a hose bib I sweat on an FIP and use an MIP hose bib so the next time it needs changing it’s easy.

Post a reply to: Tell us something you know, but most people may not

The Latest