Tell me Music hasn't died...

Related:
Create New Tag

8/13/2018 4:55 PM

We had this.




We now have this.




Over 41 years look how music has changed. Granted these are different genres but directional we can still compare music of different generations.

My thread on hip-hop and then the thread on "If you could only listen to one band" just got me thinking about how much music has changed over the years.

|

8/13/2018 5:05 PM

There is still a shit ton of good music being made.

Difference is back then only the best of the best would get enough money to put out records, tour, etc. where as today everyone and their mom can put shit out for the cost of a goodwill guitar and a laptop.

|

8/13/2018 5:07 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/13/2018 5:08 PM

You used a really good song from that era and a really bad song from our era though. It would be tough to find any six nine/Nikki Minaj fans. That said freebird is a great song

|

8/13/2018 5:16 PM

akillerwombat wrote:

There is still a shit ton of good music being made.

Difference is back then only the best of the best would get enough money to put out records, tour, etc. where as today everyone and their mom can put shit out for the cost of a goodwill guitar and a laptop.

I agree with you. Good music is being made in very small tiny quantities. However, the "money" is being spent and made on the bullshit second video I posted above. That's what's being produced and pushed. And to a huge extent that's what's being consumed. Reasons not fully known yet...

Lynryd Skynryd would be associated as a hate group now a days because of the confederate flag, white band, mostly white crowd. But the music was good.

And the "FeFe" video is okay'd because of it's progressiveness? I'm not sure why. Drug use? Subjugation of women? It's certainly not lauded for it's musical prowess.

So why the extreme disparity over a short amount of time? Is it good or bad? What does that say for society? Really just asking questions because mainstream music has gone to shit. I mean even past that. It's a porta potti of talent at the end of a motocross national. The ones where they don't have enough toilets., That's mainstream music today.

|

8/13/2018 5:21 PM

MotoMo165 wrote:

You used a really good song from that era and a really bad song from our era though. It would be tough to find any six nine/Nikki Minaj fans. That said freebird is a great song

Many will tell you the 69/Nikki song is lit. Not many here. But it's trending as the #1 song in many countries.

14,794,977 views for Free Bird

158,923,650 views for FeFe

Granted I know that Free Bird has more play time over it's lifetime. That's not really my point.

I'm talking about quality of music.

One is good and considered good.

One is considered lit and is a pile of dog shit in actuality.

|

8/13/2018 5:25 PM

The truth is, there are a lot more people who just want to listen to meaningless drivel than there are people who like to hear talent. It's always been that way; it's why top-40 radio has been popular for 40 years or more.

Back in 1977, Saturday Night Fever sold way more than anything Skynyrd did. Sad but true.

|

Braaapin' aint easy.

8/13/2018 5:26 PM

TXDirt wrote:

I agree with you. Good music is being made in very small tiny quantities. However, the "money" is being spent and made on the bullshit second video I posted above. That's what's being produced and pushed. And to a huge extent that's what's being consumed. Reasons not fully known yet...

Lynryd Skynryd would be associated as a hate group now a days because of the confederate flag, white band, mostly white crowd. But the music was good.

And the "FeFe" video is okay'd because of it's progressiveness? I'm not sure why. Drug use? Subjugation of women? It's certainly not lauded for it's musical prowess.

So why the extreme disparity over a short amount of time? Is it good or bad? What does that say for society? Really just asking questions because mainstream music has gone to shit. I mean even past that. It's a porta potti of talent at the end of a motocross national. The ones where they don't have enough toilets., That's mainstream music today.

"So why the extreme disparity over a short amount of time? Is it good or bad? What does that say for society? Really just asking questions because mainstream music has gone to shit. I mean even past that. It's a porta potti of talent at the end of a motocross national. The ones where they don't have enough toilets., That's mainstream music today."

It's funny because that's most likely verbatim what the people who grew up with music of the 40's and 50's said when they heard Lynyrd Skynyrd.

Point in case let us not forget that right alongside the release of Freebird the world was blessed with:


Personally "Fefe" isn't my type of music but I'll be the first to say it's a long ass ways from the worst thing I've heard. They're doing something right, it's connecting with a shit ton of people, and just because it clearly wasn't made for you doesn't mean it's shit.... it just means it's shit to you.
|

8/13/2018 5:41 PM

akillerwombat wrote:

There is still a shit ton of good music being made.

Difference is back then only the best of the best would get enough money to put out records, tour, etc. where as today everyone and their mom can put shit out for the cost of a goodwill guitar and a laptop.

TXDirt wrote:

I agree with you. Good music is being made in very small tiny quantities. However, the "money" is being spent and made on the bullshit second video I posted above. That's what's being produced and pushed. And to a huge extent that's what's being consumed. Reasons not fully known yet...

Lynryd Skynryd would be associated as a hate group now a days because of the confederate flag, white band, mostly white crowd. But the music was good.

And the "FeFe" video is okay'd because of it's progressiveness? I'm not sure why. Drug use? Subjugation of women? It's certainly not lauded for it's musical prowess.

So why the extreme disparity over a short amount of time? Is it good or bad? What does that say for society? Really just asking questions because mainstream music has gone to shit. I mean even past that. It's a porta potti of talent at the end of a motocross national. The ones where they don't have enough toilets., That's mainstream music today.

akillerwombat wrote: "So why the extreme disparity over a short amount of time? Is it good or bad? What does that say for society? Really just asking questions because mainstream music has gone to shit. I mean even past that. It's a porta potti of talent at the end of a motocross national. The ones where they don't have enough toilets., That's mainstream music today."

It's funny because that's most likely verbatim what the people who grew up with music of the 40's and 50's said when they heard Lynyrd Skynyrd.

Point in case let us not forget that right alongside the release of Freebird the world was blessed with:



Personally "Fefe" isn't my type of music but I'll be the first to say it's a long ass ways from the worst thing I've heard. They're doing something right, it's connecting with a shit ton of people, and just because it clearly wasn't made for you doesn't mean it's shit.... it just means it's shit to you.

The only people doing something "right" as you say, is the marketing department. That's it.

The most talented person in the video is the guy who made the balloons!!!

I've listened to a wide array of music. I span all genres. All years. All generations. I can listen to 40's music on Sirus radio and then switch to Eminem and Dre the next. And then maybe some Sinatra. And throw in some techno when I get blitzed and want to party. I'm used to be all over the map.

Today's mainstream music is the worst shit I've ever listed too...

These singers (not sure what to call them, certainly not artists) are created and produced by marketing teams. Very rarely is the talent what is the driver. It's marketing.

|

8/13/2018 5:44 PM

TXDirt wrote:

The only people doing something "right" as you say, is the marketing department. That's it.

The most talented person in the video is the guy who made the balloons!!!

I've listened to a wide array of music. I span all genres. All years. All generations. I can listen to 40's music on Sirus radio and then switch to Eminem and Dre the next. And then maybe some Sinatra. And throw in some techno when I get blitzed and want to party. I'm used to be all over the map.

Today's mainstream music is the worst shit I've ever listed too...

These singers (not sure what to call them, certainly not artists) are created and produced by marketing teams. Very rarely is the talent what is the driver. It's marketing.

I’ll say what I always say in these types of discussions, if there is no talent in it what’s stopping everyone from getting 200 million views?

|

8/13/2018 5:47 PM

Skynard were about to own it all til that crash. Maybe a little too white and southern but what powerful stuff. One of those bands that just sounds better the louder it's played....if you've got the stereo to handle it...most don't. Boston, Rush, AC/DC, Van Halen are just a few others. Satriani as well. I'm only running a 1972 Panasonic 6600 Integrated receiver with Sony speakers at the moment. It's down on power but has decent specs. My 1977 Harmon Kardon amp/preamp and JBL Jubals are tits up for EXPENSIVE repairs. For the youngsters out there...this is stuff that makes music sound like it should. None of that 20 - 20k shit.... + or - 1 to 250k. The Jubals are unlimited power as long as the THD is less than .01...which the HK is....I think it's .001.

|

If it ain't yer's don't take it, If it ain't the truth dont say it, If it ain't right don't do it...Marcus Aurelius

8/13/2018 5:47 PM

akillerwombat wrote: "So why the extreme disparity over a short amount of time? Is it good or bad? What does that say for society? Really just asking questions because mainstream music has gone to shit. I mean even past that. It's a porta potti of talent at the end of a motocross national. The ones where they don't have enough toilets., That's mainstream music today."

It's funny because that's most likely verbatim what the people who grew up with music of the 40's and 50's said when they heard Lynyrd Skynyrd.

Point in case let us not forget that right alongside the release of Freebird the world was blessed with:



Personally "Fefe" isn't my type of music but I'll be the first to say it's a long ass ways from the worst thing I've heard. They're doing something right, it's connecting with a shit ton of people, and just because it clearly wasn't made for you doesn't mean it's shit.... it just means it's shit to you.

TXDirt wrote:

The only people doing something "right" as you say, is the marketing department. That's it.

The most talented person in the video is the guy who made the balloons!!!

I've listened to a wide array of music. I span all genres. All years. All generations. I can listen to 40's music on Sirus radio and then switch to Eminem and Dre the next. And then maybe some Sinatra. And throw in some techno when I get blitzed and want to party. I'm used to be all over the map.

Today's mainstream music is the worst shit I've ever listed too...

These singers (not sure what to call them, certainly not artists) are created and produced by marketing teams. Very rarely is the talent what is the driver. It's marketing.

akillerwombat wrote:

I’ll say what I always say in these types of discussions, if there is no talent in it what’s stopping everyone from getting 200 million views?

That's like saying why do millions eat at Taco bell and McD. Because the food is good???

No, it's due to marketing.....

I can make you a taco at home for cheaper and tastes far better. But I'm not the next Taco Bell.

|

8/13/2018 5:52 PM

TXDirt wrote:

The only people doing something "right" as you say, is the marketing department. That's it.

The most talented person in the video is the guy who made the balloons!!!

I've listened to a wide array of music. I span all genres. All years. All generations. I can listen to 40's music on Sirus radio and then switch to Eminem and Dre the next. And then maybe some Sinatra. And throw in some techno when I get blitzed and want to party. I'm used to be all over the map.

Today's mainstream music is the worst shit I've ever listed too...

These singers (not sure what to call them, certainly not artists) are created and produced by marketing teams. Very rarely is the talent what is the driver. It's marketing.

akillerwombat wrote:

I’ll say what I always say in these types of discussions, if there is no talent in it what’s stopping everyone from getting 200 million views?

TXDirt wrote:

That's like saying why do millions eat at Taco bell and McD. Because the food is good???

No, it's due to marketing.....

I can make you a taco at home for cheaper and tastes far better. But I'm not the next Taco Bell.

I guarantee you if McDonalds or Taco Bell tasted like shit they wouldn’t be as big as they are.

Point in case, why do so many big ass movies that spend millions upon millions flop? Because they’re shitty movies.

You can only polish a turd for so long... and you sure as shit can’t polish a turd into the size of McDonalds or Taco Bell.

|

8/13/2018 5:52 PM

plowboy wrote:

Skynard were about to own it all til that crash. Maybe a little too white and southern but what powerful stuff. One of those bands that just sounds better the louder it's played....if you've got the stereo to handle it...most don't. Boston, Rush, AC/DC, Van Halen are just a few others. Satriani as well. I'm only running a 1972 Panasonic 6600 Integrated receiver with Sony speakers at the moment. It's down on power but has decent specs. My 1977 Harmon Kardon amp/preamp and JBL Jubals are tits up for EXPENSIVE repairs. For the youngsters out there...this is stuff that makes music sound like it should. None of that 20 - 20k shit.... + or - 1 to 250k. The Jubals are unlimited power as long as the THD is less than .01...which the HK is....I think it's .001.

I was doing some research in this area several years ago and did not know that analog music technical is superior then digital because of the sound waves. Maybe everyone already knows this. Sorta blew my my mind because we are told "digital" is always better. Not with sound. Analog is the way to go. Any competent audiophile will agree.

|

8/13/2018 5:57 PM

akillerwombat wrote:

I’ll say what I always say in these types of discussions, if there is no talent in it what’s stopping everyone from getting 200 million views?

TXDirt wrote:

That's like saying why do millions eat at Taco bell and McD. Because the food is good???

No, it's due to marketing.....

I can make you a taco at home for cheaper and tastes far better. But I'm not the next Taco Bell.

akillerwombat wrote:

I guarantee you if McDonalds or Taco Bell tasted like shit they wouldn’t be as big as they are.

Point in case, why do so many big ass movies that spend millions upon millions flop? Because they’re shitty movies.

You can only polish a turd for so long... and you sure as shit can’t polish a turd into the size of McDonalds or Taco Bell.

But there are many big budget movies with huge marketing budgets that did indeed suck but make money. So did they make money despite it's a shitty movie? If so, why?

Several low budget movies became hugely popular, despite the low budget, Was it because it was a good movie? If so why so popular with such little budget.

|

8/13/2018 6:08 PM

akillerwombat wrote:

I’ll say what I always say in these types of discussions, if there is no talent in it what’s stopping everyone from getting 200 million views?

TXDirt wrote:

That's like saying why do millions eat at Taco bell and McD. Because the food is good???

No, it's due to marketing.....

I can make you a taco at home for cheaper and tastes far better. But I'm not the next Taco Bell.

akillerwombat wrote:

I guarantee you if McDonalds or Taco Bell tasted like shit they wouldn’t be as big as they are.

Point in case, why do so many big ass movies that spend millions upon millions flop? Because they’re shitty movies.

You can only polish a turd for so long... and you sure as shit can’t polish a turd into the size of McDonalds or Taco Bell.

I don't know shit about the movie making business but I've heard that the editing dept can make or break a film. You can't turn shit into gold but you can Damn sure turn gold into shit.

|

If it ain't yer's don't take it, If it ain't the truth dont say it, If it ain't right don't do it...Marcus Aurelius

8/13/2018 6:19 PM

1977 had a lot of bad disco. There's good music out there just not much in the rock department.

|

8/13/2018 6:53 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/13/2018 6:55 PM

plowboy wrote:

Skynard were about to own it all til that crash. Maybe a little too white and southern but what powerful stuff. One of those bands that just sounds better the louder it's played....if you've got the stereo to handle it...most don't. Boston, Rush, AC/DC, Van Halen are just a few others. Satriani as well. I'm only running a 1972 Panasonic 6600 Integrated receiver with Sony speakers at the moment. It's down on power but has decent specs. My 1977 Harmon Kardon amp/preamp and JBL Jubals are tits up for EXPENSIVE repairs. For the youngsters out there...this is stuff that makes music sound like it should. None of that 20 - 20k shit.... + or - 1 to 250k. The Jubals are unlimited power as long as the THD is less than .01...which the HK is....I think it's .001.

Brother had a Budwesier on top of the piano just rockin out playing an actual instrument. Now you got a guy with rainbow teeth and rainbow hair deepthroating a Popsicle and that's today's Alpha male.

Enough said.

|

8/13/2018 6:57 PM

I know how music used to get popular. It was radio. What was fed to us was manipulated for awhile but FM changed that to a degree, but for the most part, the good stuff got out there. You heard it and bought the album. I have no clue what an artist does today for marketing. I guess I don't really give a shit. To be honest, a lot of newer stuff that I like, I have gotten from some of you on this forum. Maybe that's how it works, word of mouth. Especially since everybody's mouth is out there on social media now. Except mine. Some of you may think this is sad but Vital is my only social media. And thanks to those of you who post up newer stuff they like. I always read those threads and listen to the music.

|

8/13/2018 8:55 PM

There is 20 styles of rap and that is none of them.

Rap never get popular on the radio. Real rap was never played on the radio. I mean long before clean versions, edited versions and over a decade before eminem, 50 cent etc.

|

My post is my opinion. If you don't agree with it, I'm OK with it.

8/13/2018 9:32 PM

borg wrote:

I know how music used to get popular. It was radio. What was fed to us was manipulated for awhile but FM changed that to a degree, but for the most part, the good stuff got out there. You heard it and bought the album. I have no clue what an artist does today for marketing. I guess I don't really give a shit. To be honest, a lot of newer stuff that I like, I have gotten from some of you on this forum. Maybe that's how it works, word of mouth. Especially since everybody's mouth is out there on social media now. Except mine. Some of you may think this is sad but Vital is my only social media. And thanks to those of you who post up newer stuff they like. I always read those threads and listen to the music.

I'm about the same way. Facebook with my old racing buddies and here. I don't know what my problem is. Too old and set in my ways I suppose. The newest thing I've listened to is Pinnick Gales and Pridgen. Pinnick is near 70 years old and his voice is not what it was but, they still rock pretty hard. It's all been done though. I definitely see what TXDirt is saying. He's right on the money imo. The music business did this to themselves though. From the Monkees and, even the Beach Boys, 'bands' were only covering their 'own' material, live. Now though, some of the 'talent', lip sync to pre-recorded tracks and the emphasis is on the dancing. At least Elvis had a band and actually sang. Music now is a 'scene'. It's like a reality show. And the sad part of it is, people buy into it and there's no substance. It's as fake as can be. As long as the peeps keep diggin' it, some savy producer / manager will cop some samples, pro-tools some loops and auto tune some dancers,,, and dish up some more quality music. No thanks.

|

8/14/2018 2:08 AM

Fer fuck sakes TEX! Stop posting that abomination!laughing

|

8/14/2018 2:10 AM

Unless you're affiliated in some way??tongue laughing

|

8/14/2018 5:11 AM

Photo
|

8/14/2018 7:33 AM

Good songs tell a short story about life. It doesn't matter if it's rock, rap, country, etc., if you can relate to the story, then you usually like the song.

Music, to me, is the instruments. The beat, the highs and lows, the flow. There is music that I like, but think the "song" sucks (think disco/techno/dance).

Most good bands/artists put the two together and thrive for more than one album. They just don't get the promotion the "pop" personalities get.

|

8/14/2018 8:06 AM

The reason videos like that have so many views is because people like you KEEP SHARING IT. Dont post it. Dont talk about it. You wont add to the shares and google hits.

Share the music you like.

|

8/14/2018 12:25 PM

Saw Jeff Beck last Friday night. The guy is 74 years old and his playing is just incredible.

Weird show line-up with Ann Wilson opening and Paul Rogers closing with Bad Company and Free songs that were a bit too top 40 for my taste, but there were a lot of people getting off on it.

|

“If I remember how this worked, you’d put a side on, and then you’d go and have something to eat, and then you’d put another side on.” … Mick Jagger

8/14/2018 12:53 PM

It can't all be ABBA and the Bee Gee's.

Yup. Nothing today is any good.

You sure got that right!

|

8/14/2018 1:34 PM

Photo
|

"We don't rent pigs."

8/14/2018 5:15 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/14/2018 8:26 PM

Some today music with heart and soul from some good ole boys from Nashville.
Interesting though is the Bass player in this video Keith Christopher joined Skynyrd in 2017
and is their current Bass player...small world.

|

8/14/2018 8:27 PM

akillerwombat wrote: "So why the extreme disparity over a short amount of time? Is it good or bad? What does that say for society? Really just asking questions because mainstream music has gone to shit. I mean even past that. It's a porta potti of talent at the end of a motocross national. The ones where they don't have enough toilets., That's mainstream music today."

It's funny because that's most likely verbatim what the people who grew up with music of the 40's and 50's said when they heard Lynyrd Skynyrd.

Point in case let us not forget that right alongside the release of Freebird the world was blessed with:



Personally "Fefe" isn't my type of music but I'll be the first to say it's a long ass ways from the worst thing I've heard. They're doing something right, it's connecting with a shit ton of people, and just because it clearly wasn't made for you doesn't mean it's shit.... it just means it's shit to you.

TXDirt wrote:

The only people doing something "right" as you say, is the marketing department. That's it.

The most talented person in the video is the guy who made the balloons!!!

I've listened to a wide array of music. I span all genres. All years. All generations. I can listen to 40's music on Sirus radio and then switch to Eminem and Dre the next. And then maybe some Sinatra. And throw in some techno when I get blitzed and want to party. I'm used to be all over the map.

Today's mainstream music is the worst shit I've ever listed too...

These singers (not sure what to call them, certainly not artists) are created and produced by marketing teams. Very rarely is the talent what is the driver. It's marketing.

akillerwombat wrote:

I’ll say what I always say in these types of discussions, if there is no talent in it what’s stopping everyone from getting 200 million views?

How many followers do the Kardashians have? Any talent there? I say yes!

Not only nice big booties but the ability to earn millions by basically turning nothing into something. Hard working girls who have made themselves famous despite people constantly bitching about them

I think the biggest problem with today’s music is that it is not classic rock?
Although I can’t listen to it, if someone’s making a living playing music they are doing something right

|