Technology

Related:
Create New Tag

4/19/2018 11:11 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/19/2018 11:12 AM

Is the point Gary is making in this video valid in world of Motocross also? I see lots of parallels.

|

"We don't rent pigs."

4/19/2018 11:24 AM

I'd say he's on to something

|

4/19/2018 12:31 PM

He's spot on. And you can absolutely apply this to US dirt bike industry. Close your eyes and it sounds like he's talking about four strokes.

|

4/19/2018 12:38 PM

TXDirt wrote:

He's spot on. And you can absolutely apply this to US dirt bike industry. Close your eyes and it sounds like he's talking about four strokes.

"The pros wouldn't complain about it, they wouldn't complain, they'd want to see golf better for everybody concerned."

|

"We don't rent pigs."

4/19/2018 6:44 PM

He is 100% correct. And yes, it applies to Moto as well.

|

4/20/2018 2:11 PM

MX is much more dangerous now than it was in the early 70s when I started as a direct result of technology. Not just 4 strokes as some want to think. The technology has bypassed the human body's ability to deal with it.

|

My wife calls you guys the Yahoos.

4/20/2018 3:09 PM

I agree with him. It'd obvious that Gary had that rare quality... Common fucking sense. I deal with various levels of admin and management, and the lack of sensible people with lateral thinking at that level is disappointing.

|

4/20/2018 5:12 PM

JPT wrote:

MX is much more dangerous now than it was in the early 70s when I started as a direct result of technology. Not just 4 strokes as some want to think. The technology has bypassed the human body's ability to deal with it.

You have to admit that four stroke engines and their very broad/forgiving torque curve allows persons of lesser skill to go faster and jump further than that same person would attempt on a smoker.

|

"We don't rent pigs."

4/20/2018 5:52 PM

What he was saying didn't make any sense to me at all. Make Bubbas drive shorter and more people will play golf? Maybe somebody can explain it to me.

|

4/20/2018 6:19 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/20/2018 6:34 PM

The cost of changing the courses to make a par 5 a challenge is ridiculous. I went to last years US Open and to the 2010 PGA Championship and believe me where they have the tee boxes set up is just stupid.

The sx/mx pro's don't need 82hp 450's or 20k gold infused suspension for a good show either.

|

4/20/2018 8:09 PM

borg wrote:

What he was saying didn't make any sense to me at all. Make Bubbas drive shorter and more people will play golf? Maybe somebody can explain it to me.

No, he said right up front that amateurs can and should have new tech. You missed that part. He was speaking to the Pros.

|

"We don't rent pigs."

4/20/2018 8:21 PM

borg wrote:

JAFO92 wrote:

No, he said right up front that amateurs can and should have new tech. You missed that part. He was speaking to the Pros.

I heard that part. What I was looking for was the nexus between making the pros play dead balls and more people playing golf.

|

4/20/2018 8:49 PM

borg wrote:

I heard that part. What I was looking for was the nexus between making the pros play dead balls and more people playing golf.

Because the super good balls and high tech clubs and allowing Experts and Pros to play crazy low scores on the older courses. So they keep redesigning courses that are in-step with the longer play and putting more hazards in to keep the scores from being so low. When a guy can hit 10 drives outta 18 over 400 yards off the tee, that was unheard of not that long ago. And with them altering courses all over the world to accomodate the top players, amateurs and weekend duffers (like me) fall even further back with high scores, get frustrated and just quit playing, drop club/course memberships. If mom and dad arent playing most likely their kids wont be as likely to take it up and like he said it just one thing after another and the sport fades. You gotta keep the grass roots alive for the top to have an audience.

|

"We don't rent pigs."

4/21/2018 6:36 AM

JAFO92 wrote:

borg wrote:

JAFO92 wrote:

Because the super good balls and high tech clubs and allowing Experts and Pros to play crazy low scores on the older courses. So they keep redesigning courses that are in-step with the longer play and putting more hazards in to keep the scores from being so low. When a guy can hit 10 drives outta 18 over 400 yards off the tee, that was unheard of not that long ago. And with them altering courses all over the world to accomodate the top players, amateurs and weekend duffers (like me) fall even further back with high scores, get frustrated and just quit playing, drop club/course memberships. If mom and dad arent playing most likely their kids wont be as likely to take it up and like he said it just one thing after another and the sport fades. You gotta keep the grass roots alive for the top to have an audience.

The reason that I don't give his assessment of golf's decline much credence is because the vast, vast majority of golfers not only do not belong to clubs that the pros play but they almost never play those elite courses. Just in my area, there are probably 50 courses within an hour's drive of where I live. None of these courses have been altered to make play more difficult because of the pros and rounds are down here like everywhere else. The reason has much more to do with social trends of younger generations than what Mr. Player is suggesting. It sounds to me like there may be a hint of resentment in Mr. Player's solution.

The only reason I care at all about this is because he pointed out the reality that golf rounds are down. I think the real reason for this is much larger than the golfing world and has larger implications. The younger generations think that socializing is spending 5 hours in the evening alone in their bedroom on twitface. All sorts of activities that we used to think of as socializing are down. Bowling has declined about 40% over the years. MLB and NFL attendance have both been declining despite an increasing population. Obviously, social media and these goddam cell phones are just part of the reason and probably a small part, but overall, technology seems to be driving people apart. I probably dont want to know how many 20 something young men spend their leisure time in front of a gaming console rather than playing in the local softball league.

Times are a changing.

|

4/21/2018 9:20 AM

JPT wrote:

JAFO92 wrote:

You have to admit that four stroke engines and their very broad/forgiving torque curve allows persons of lesser skill to go faster and jump further than that same person would attempt on a smoker.

Didn't say it wasn't part of it but suspention is a great aspect also. I lived and breathed bikes into the late 70s then for various reasons, lost touch until the mid 90s. I was stunned to see front wheel landings over massive triples.

|

4/21/2018 9:37 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/21/2018 9:40 AM

JPT wrote:

Technology bypassed the human body when we started moving faster than our legs could carry us.

You only have to look at any practice track across the country to see how fast average riders are now lapping. This is a direct result of 4 strokes and better handling/suspension. The obvious result is that when it goes wrong, your travelling faster, have less time to correct it and hit the ground harder.

|

4/21/2018 11:38 AM

JPT wrote:

Andy_Greenney wrote:

Technology bypassed the human body when we started moving faster than our legs could carry us.

You only have to look at any practice track across the country to see how fast average riders are now lapping. This is a direct result of 4 strokes and better handling/suspension. The obvious result is that when it goes wrong, your travelling faster, have less time to correct it and hit the ground harder.

My point exactly.

|