TV has become to expensive

JoJmoto
Edited Date/Time 6/29/2015 10:41pm
Ok so, we have Windstream and all our stuff is in a bundle. We have the home phone, internet and Dish. I think our monthly payment is like $180. Its time to cut some cost.

I need the internet but Windstream says we have to have the phone in order to have it... What are my options for internet? Satellite?

And what is this Hulu and stuff... can we watch our TV programs with that on our flat screen tv ? We like Inl Master, AGT, Hell's Kitchen... Etc...
|
level
6/23/2015 8:36pm
If you have phone, internet and tv for 180 that's not bad. You can cut your satellite but think about it? You would have to buy tv seasons which can add up and you miss out on all those channels and sports. I don't see how people resort to just using hulu, net fix, etc. It seems the costs would really add up doing that if you watch alot of TV.

Cygnus
6/23/2015 8:36pm
I tried to do the netflix and Hulu along with you tube for my tv. I couldn't stand it and went back to direct tv in less than a month. I didn't like having to look to find something to watch all the time. I'm a channel flipper and you just can't do that without some sort of tv provider.
level
6/23/2015 8:37pm
You could cut your home phone and just use satellite and cut your channels down to the minimum and cut your internet down to the minimum but if you are gonna go streaming only then be prepared to have very good internet and data caps from your internet provider.
Cygnus
6/23/2015 8:39pm
Oh yea the satellite internet companies are limited packages. Unlimited was like 200 a month so if you use a lot of bandwidth you will go over a limited package and then They really screw ya.

The Shop

Spydee
6/23/2015 11:53pm
Wow you guys really are getting screwed! I'm getting satellite (Sky) TV over here with every channel available, unlimited fibre optic broadband, and phone line rental for £70 ($110) a month.
IWreckALot
6/24/2015 5:28am
I'm with Uverse and pay about $230 or $240 a month. I have HBO but I'm about to cancel it. I just don't watch enough movies on there. May replace that part with Netflix. I got the premium package to get the motocross races but then they moved to MavTV. I suppose I could reduce my package at this point.
BigAl
6/24/2015 5:43am
My satellite internet st the office is about $90 a month. It's barely acceptable and my only option. Lu's I think there was an initial equipment purchase of a fw hundred bucks

I hope there comes a day when you only pay for what cable channels you want. At the house my cable and internet package is about $150
SEE ARE125
6/24/2015 6:10am Edited Date/Time 6/24/2015 6:19am
EDIT: Tried to explain what we do for TV, but I dunno what's happening, I posted from my phone and computer and only part of my post was showing.
6/24/2015 6:23am
When I was single I had a cell phone and a tv with rabbit ears costing me a total of $60 a month. If it wasn't for the wife and kid I would still have that setup. We have FiOS I think my bundle costs around $230 but I get a nice discount.I can see tv going a la carte completely in the next 20 years. That is why there is a big push to make internet a utility.
S.Loyer
6/24/2015 6:27am Edited Date/Time 6/24/2015 6:31am
Cygnus wrote:
I tried to do the netflix and Hulu along with you tube for my tv. I couldn't stand it and went back to direct tv in...
I tried to do the netflix and Hulu along with you tube for my tv. I couldn't stand it and went back to direct tv in less than a month. I didn't like having to look to find something to watch all the time. I'm a channel flipper and you just can't do that without some sort of tv provider.
https://www.sling.com/

I use Netflix, Hula + Sling (sling is live TV) runs me about $40 a month.
borg
6/24/2015 7:01am
I have Charter. Phone (don't use it) internet and cable TV with HBO, Showtime and Cinemax. $112.00 a month. My neighbor has Verizon Fios. Exact same package, $180+ a month. He wouldn't tell me exactly how much. He switched when he saw my setup. What most of the cable and satellite companies do is offer a cheap startup package that runs out after 12 months then it goes up. The Charter deal is 3 years fixed.
6/24/2015 8:30am
im getting hosed cause i have a house in NC and an apartment in TX. dirrect tv in NC and uverse in TX. im about to cut uverse off and pick up a sling box for tv which hopefully allows me to get some kick ass internet in tx.

dsmith
Fantasy
1485th
6/24/2015 9:35am
im getting about 40 channel with a digital antenna from walmart....monthly bill=free....I watch all the good shows...nfl, masterchef, dateline, bachelor(lol), abc, nbc, cbs, fox, and there's a movies channel or 2....
lostboy819
Fantasy
1442nd
6/24/2015 9:42am
I have comcast cable just for hi speed internet at $60 a month and we have about 40 devices connected to our netgear wireless router so $60 a month is worth it for internet and then we have Direct TV ultimate package with the 1tb HD DVR and 5 mini genie HD receivers at $130.00 per month and we are real happy with it. I almost never buy any pay per view movies so it stays pretty consistent for our bill,and we do the netflix streaming which is less than $10 per month and have several devices that we watch on so it is a very good value.
Tracktor
6/24/2015 9:46am
So basically you all are paying monthly to be told how to think? 'Merica!..............."The greatest hypnotist on the planet Earth is an oblong box in the corner in the room. It is constantly telling us what to believe is real.".......
Sandberm
6/24/2015 10:41am
I dont have sattelite/cable tv, never have. I'm glad I dont as I think too much exposure to popular culture via the tv is one of the biggest societal ills we have in this country.

I have point to point wireless at $50/month and am considering getting rid of the home phone. Cell phone is $100/month for two phones.

So, I could be down to $150/month for phone, internet and free tv.
6/24/2015 10:45am
I have Netflix and a gym membership where I can watch all those extra channels. Total I think I pay about $40.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1442nd
6/24/2015 12:04pm Edited Date/Time 6/24/2015 12:06pm
Tracktor wrote:
So basically you all are paying monthly to be told how to think? 'Merica!..............."The greatest hypnotist on the planet Earth is an oblong box in the...
So basically you all are paying monthly to be told how to think? 'Merica!..............."The greatest hypnotist on the planet Earth is an oblong box in the corner in the room. It is constantly telling us what to believe is real.".......
Great we have fool here who thinks he's a deep thinker LaughingLaughing TV is pure entertainment but if you feel that it was telling you what to think and do then by all means dont watch, and my TV is not a box in the corner,it is a 70' flat panel that takes up a whole wall.
peelout
6/24/2015 12:33pm
television really is fucking expensive.

my dad and i share/split my dish account even though we're under different roofs, my share is $60. it's incredible how much it costs.
Tracktor
6/24/2015 12:41pm
Tracktor wrote:
So basically you all are paying monthly to be told how to think? 'Merica!..............."The greatest hypnotist on the planet Earth is an oblong box in the...
lostboy819 wrote:
Great we have fool here who thinks he's a deep thinker :laugh: :laugh: TV is pure entertainment but if you feel that it was telling you...
Great we have fool here who thinks he's a deep thinker LaughingLaughing TV is pure entertainment but if you feel that it was telling you what to think and do then by all means dont watch, and my TV is not a box in the corner,it is a 70' flat panel that takes up a whole wall.
Lol, look at you getting all worked up over your TV. I bet if feels as strongly about you. I'll keep it simple and type real slow for you -What is the point of advertising? ..........(And if you don't believe the news media doesn't focus on certain stories for specific reasons well you're a special kind of naive)...........
71Fish
6/24/2015 1:18pm
Tracktor wrote:
They told me my TV was rectangular, not oblong. I've been lied to...again.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1442nd
6/24/2015 1:51pm
Tracktor wrote:
lostboy819 wrote:
Great we have fool here who thinks he's a deep thinker :laugh: :laugh: TV is pure entertainment but if you feel that it was telling you...
Tracktor wrote:
Lol, look at you getting all worked up over your TV. I bet if feels as strongly about you. I'll keep it simple and type real...
Lol, look at you getting all worked up over your TV. I bet if feels as strongly about you. I'll keep it simple and type real slow for you -What is the point of advertising? ..........(And if you don't believe the news media doesn't focus on certain stories for specific reasons well you're a special kind of naive)...........
So what is the difference between a TV or computer or cell phone ? You had to use one to post here on Vital so I guess you are not so disconnected from being told what to do as you think. Is you phone or computer internet access free ? I don't think so, looks like you are just like everybody else. Pinch
Tracktor
6/24/2015 2:21pm
lostboy819 wrote:
Tracktor wrote:
Lol, look at you getting all worked up over your TV. I bet if feels as strongly about you. I'll keep it simple and type real...
lostboy819 wrote:
So what is the difference between a TV or computer or cell phone ? You had to use one to post here on Vital so I...
So what is the difference between a TV or computer or cell phone ? You had to use one to post here on Vital so I guess you are not so disconnected from being told what to do as you think. Is you phone or computer internet access free ? I don't think so, looks like you are just like everybody else. Pinch
Really? You don't see a difference? How much of TV is corporate dictated and how much is user content? They are so far apart it's a silly comparison but I guess if you can't see the distinction then that is why we are even having this discussion..............
JoJmoto
6/24/2015 3:37pm
Cygnus wrote:
I tried to do the netflix and Hulu along with you tube for my tv. I couldn't stand it and went back to direct tv in...
S.Loyer wrote:
https://www.sling.com/

I use Netflix, Hula + Sling (sling is live TV) runs me about $40 a month.
Thanks for all... well, most the responses, TV is stupid... we only watch a few shows as it is or so I think. We do have Netflix too. I will have to look into this sling.com thing. how does it work, I checked out the site but not sure of all the channels. For instance, can you get like Spike or History channel?

I may watch more tv then I realize..lol

I watch football during season, hells kitchen, Masterchef, ink master, AGT, UFC and (TUF) The Ultimate fighter, Tosh.O History channel..

any of them show on this sling thing?

We record all our shows and then sit down around 7-8 at night and watch one or two then off to bed so, it doesn't seem like we are sitting around watching it a lot but maybe we are.
JoJmoto
6/24/2015 3:38pm
oh and what is Roku... is that what you are saying you pay for each show you want?
6/24/2015 4:29pm
Cygnus wrote:
I understand this viewpoint and allot of people i know think also like this. But honestly for me i haven't watched TV for years .. Allot of the local networks in Belgium put up the video on demand for there populair shows if you wanna follow something so i just watch it all through internet.

I disliked all of the adds they show on TV every 15 minutes, and channel flipping wasn't something for me either almost never there was something interesting on, to me it's allot more fun to be able to pick something i wanna see and instantly get it on HDTV through internet (pc to hd tv connection). Allot of my "younger" friends appear to be like minded, also allot of people look to be into the whole streaming thing.

To give some more info about Internet connections over here, we pay 70 € a month for consistent (120 mbps download and 12 mbps upload) speeds 100% uptime day and night, and no data traffic cap (unlimited use)
borg
6/25/2015 7:34am
It seems like a lot of people agree with the OP. Even though I pay much less, $112/month, it still seems like a lot for all the pure shit that is on. I watch sports so right there I have to have about 8 channels. Other than that I watch CSPAN. Some times I will cruise through the movie channels but I could easily do without them. I occasionally watch History, Science and the cable news channels and that's about it. That's 16 out of about 175 available channels. I wonder how much it would really cost if I could just pay for what I want to watch or rent whatever channels I want on a monthly basis. Internet service alone is about $60 out of that $112 so it looks like cable TV is about $50/month. Looking at it that way it doesn't seem so bad. Hell, my phone is $70/month.
JoJmoto
6/25/2015 12:52pm
There was a guy at work that every two years he would switch back and forth between Dish and Direct TV. He would pay the introductory amount, usually around $19 a month for a year then the for the next year he would pay the $45 a month package fee. Two years later, he made the switch... I worked with him for about three switches before he moved to a different department...he might be on to something..lol
level
6/26/2015 12:14pm
If internet was over 200gb download and there were no data caps then I would probably dump everything. The issue is even comcast has a 300gb cap and I am already seeing throttling. When they first installed it I got 100gb download right away and now I get like 40 even though I pay for 100.
Just fucking bullshit these telecom and cable companies are just the worst fucking companies.

Post a reply to: TV has become to expensive

The Latest