Swimming Pool Install

newmann
3/27/2017 6:30am
newmann wrote:
Getting close. Final coloring on the new cement decking and the water is getting tuned up. Still running all the old equipment until the water is...
Getting close. Final coloring on the new cement decking and the water is getting tuned up. Still running all the old equipment until the water is right and all the constructing debris has been filtered. Then the old equipment will get replaced with all new automated.

just looking at that makes me want to jump in that pool and take a piss. I never understood what the difference between pissing in a...
just looking at that makes me want to jump in that pool and take a piss.
I never understood what the difference between pissing in a pool while standing outside on the edge, or inside the pool hanging out. Some people are so touchy.
Pissing in the pool, swimming in the toilet...all the same.Laughing

I'll see if I can get a few pics from my pool contractor of some of the jobs he has going on. Unf'n real what some people have going on with a pool.
IWreckALot
3/27/2017 8:17am
WTF is wrong with RUTSNUTS?

We were just fixing to pull the trigger on the pool a couple of weeks ago and our AC took a shit, our garage door had to be replaced and our fence is looking like it is going to need to be replaced sooner than later. Shit just got expensive real quick. We are still entertaining the idea but it's getting later and later in the season and looking like we may sideline the decision till the winter.
newmann
3/27/2017 9:49am
IWreckALot wrote:
WTF is wrong with RUTSNUTS? We were just fixing to pull the trigger on the pool a couple of weeks ago and our AC took a...
WTF is wrong with RUTSNUTS?

We were just fixing to pull the trigger on the pool a couple of weeks ago and our AC took a shit, our garage door had to be replaced and our fence is looking like it is going to need to be replaced sooner than later. Shit just got expensive real quick. We are still entertaining the idea but it's getting later and later in the season and looking like we may sideline the decision till the winter.
Welcome to the joys of home ownership!!!Smile

Our A/C was 22 years old, replaced it a year ago. Pool about 18, remodeling it complete as you see. 8 foot wooden fence is just as old as the pool and in need of repairs. Exterior paint is 15 and trying to stretch it another couple years. All this fresh on the heels of some major remodeling throughout the house. Never ends...lol
Spydee
3/27/2017 10:08am
Does your neighbour have a pool filled with booze as opposed to water?

The Shop

IWreckALot
3/27/2017 10:52am
newmann wrote:
Welcome to the joys of home ownership!!!:) Our A/C was 22 years old, replaced it a year ago. Pool about 18, remodeling it complete as you...

Our A/C was 22 years old, replaced it a year ago. Pool about 18, remodeling it complete as you see. 8 foot wooden fence is just as old as the pool and in need of repairs. Exterior paint is 15 and trying to stretch it another couple years. All this fresh on the heels of some major remodeling throughout the house. Never ends...lol
I got lucky with my previous house. The AC was original with the home in 1985. We bought it in 2008 when the market tanked and the sellers didn't have any offers so we made them replace the AC. The hot water heater was the original also but we left it. Somehow, that hot water heater lasted us the 7 years we were in the house and I sold the house without replacing it. Still made 30% profit on the house.

We are planning on selling the boat in order to pay for the AC and garage crap and still moving forward with the pool idea for now. We're just going to see where it all takes us. If we end up not getting it till the winter, I guess it is what it is.
IWreckALot
3/27/2017 10:53am
Spydee wrote:
What?
3/27/2017 11:37am
you guys are bad luck. My AC just took a shit this weekend. Thanks.
I guess after 17 years it was time. Getting bids now.
hvaughn88
3/27/2017 11:42am
Must be something about when those A/C units were produced. Mine is about that age too and I've gotta replace it this year too.
MR. X
3/27/2017 11:48am
newmann wrote:
Welcome to the joys of home ownership!!!:) Our A/C was 22 years old, replaced it a year ago. Pool about 18, remodeling it complete as you...

Paint is 15 years old , is that the equivalent of the mechanic with the beater car or the plumber who's toilet doesn't work?Laughing
Spydee
3/27/2017 1:13pm
Spydee wrote:
IWreckALot wrote:
What?
Surely that would be a dream come true for any alcoholic.
newmann
3/28/2017 7:10pm
newmann wrote:
Getting close. Final coloring on the new cement decking and the water is getting tuned up. Still running all the old equipment until the water is...
Getting close. Final coloring on the new cement decking and the water is getting tuned up. Still running all the old equipment until the water is right and all the constructing debris has been filtered. Then the old equipment will get replaced with all new automated.

just looking at that makes me want to jump in that pool and take a piss. I never understood what the difference between pissing in a...
just looking at that makes me want to jump in that pool and take a piss.
I never understood what the difference between pissing in a pool while standing outside on the edge, or inside the pool hanging out. Some people are so touchy.
newmann wrote:
Pissing in the pool, swimming in the toilet...all the same.:laugh: I'll see if I can get a few pics from my pool contractor of some of...
Pissing in the pool, swimming in the toilet...all the same.Laughing

I'll see if I can get a few pics from my pool contractor of some of the jobs he has going on. Unf'n real what some people have going on with a pool.
Here is a little project that has been keeping my pool guy from giving me his undivided attention.

IWreckALot
5/1/2019 12:12pm
Wow. Blast from the past. Twice.

Update to the thread. Got the pool built and finished last May.

This year I decided to add some shade to the backyard and I'm about 85% complete with that.

Here is the starting point to where it is now.

peelout
5/1/2019 12:19pm
looking good bro

i'm currently in the process of switching my in-ground pool from Chlorine to Salt Water. there is so much equipment that i'm not really sure what exactly i NEED to do.
IWreckALot
5/1/2019 1:22pm
peelout wrote:
looking good bro i'm currently in the process of switching my in-ground pool from Chlorine to Salt Water. there is so much equipment that i'm not...
looking good bro

i'm currently in the process of switching my in-ground pool from Chlorine to Salt Water. there is so much equipment that i'm not really sure what exactly i NEED to do.
What's your reason for wanting to switch?
peelout
5/1/2019 3:02pm
peelout wrote:
looking good bro i'm currently in the process of switching my in-ground pool from Chlorine to Salt Water. there is so much equipment that i'm not...
looking good bro

IWreckALot wrote:
ease of maintaining levels mainly, i've had my pool for 2 years and am always fighting it
Markee
Fantasy
1890th
5/1/2019 5:47pm
Dude I bet you get nasty in the paint on that basketball goal.
IWreckALot
5/1/2019 6:38pm
peelout wrote:
ease of maintaining levels mainly, i've had my pool for 2 years and am always fighting it
What problem are you facing? Chlorine baking off? PH?

I barely did anything with my pool last year. Went through maybe 40 lbs of chlorine tablets and that’s it.

So far this year, I’ve been fighting dirt in the pool but mostly because of the perpetual construction going on.
captmoto
5/2/2019 11:23am
I was told by a contractor to keep my chlorine system. Remember a salt system only generates when the pump runs so there could be longer pump run times that will increase your electric bill. I can control how long to run and balance the chlorine level against that.
borg
5/2/2019 1:56pm
peelout wrote:
IWreckALot wrote:
What problem are you facing? Chlorine baking off? PH? I barely did anything with my pool last year. Went through maybe 40 lbs of chlorine tablets...
What problem are you facing? Chlorine baking off? PH?

I barely did anything with my pool last year. Went through maybe 40 lbs of chlorine tablets and that’s it.

So far this year, I’ve been fighting dirt in the pool but mostly because of the perpetual construction going on.
maybe sumdood will see this thread and help with your questions. He's the pool guy.
sumdood
Fantasy
1282nd
5/2/2019 11:16pm
borg wrote:
maybe sumdood will see this thread and help with your questions. He's the pool guy.
This week I'm ready to put everything I own that has anything whatsoever to do with pools into my truck and shove it off the nearest cliff, truck and all. The formula isn't brain surgery, for the most part it's Ch- 1.5 - 3.0, Ph. - 7.6 + or -, Alkalinity - 80-100, Conditioner (cyanuric acid) 50-60 ppm. Keep the filter clean, and run the pump enough to turn the water over once a day. Most people (around here anyway) don't run the pumps nearly long enough
peelout
5/3/2019 2:49pm Edited Date/Time 5/3/2019 3:11pm
i've decided against changing to salt water for now.

my system is very dated, old stainless sand filter and old .75HP single speed pump. i ordered a Hayward cartridge filter and Pentair 1.5HP pump. i'm hoping that a lot of my water clarity issues have been the lack of a decent filter system. but i know more about the solar system than i do about pools, so...
IWreckALot
5/3/2019 4:20pm
peelout wrote:
i've decided against changing to salt water for now. my system is very dated, old stainless sand filter and old .75HP single speed pump. i ordered...
i've decided against changing to salt water for now.

my system is very dated, old stainless sand filter and old .75HP single speed pump. i ordered a Hayward cartridge filter and Pentair 1.5HP pump. i'm hoping that a lot of my water clarity issues have been the lack of a decent filter system. but i know more about the solar system than i do about pools, so...
What were your deciding factors that made you want to do it originally and what made you change your mind?

Sand filters are difficult to maintain. My parents bought an above ground pool several years ago and that sand filter was a train wreck.
5/4/2019 4:25am
Wheres the pool fences? Big brothers laws here in oz make us instal an approved pool fence for anything over 30cm/ 1ft deep. This includes pop...
Wheres the pool fences?
Big brothers laws here in oz make us instal an approved pool fence for anything over 30cm/ 1ft deep.

This includes pop up or blow up pools kiddy pools!!!!!
IWreckALot wrote:
Insurance companies require at least a 4' fence. But my entire back yard is fenced which counts as "fencing" it in. I was asking if the...
Insurance companies require at least a 4' fence. But my entire back yard is fenced which counts as "fencing" it in. I was asking if the pool itself had to be fenced to keep kids from getting too close unsupervised and she said "as long as the backyard is fenced in, it's good".
Yes in Texas that’s true - but if you’re going to have little ones or already do fence the pool and keep the gate locked - at a minimum get an alarm.
5/4/2019 4:29am
peelout wrote:
looking good bro

IWreckALot wrote:
peelout wrote:
Balance your water - get the total alkalinity right and you won’t fight it.

saltwater will eff up your patio furniture - lot of people are getting away from saltwater where I’m at.
5/5/2019 5:37pm
A salt water pool IS a chlorine pool. Chlorine is still the active sanitizer in both applications. The only difference is in how the chlorine is added to the water; either manually, tablets or through the use of a chlorine generator(salt system). I'm not gonna break into a chemistry lecture here but as an overview they work on electrolysis (low voltage DC). Salt and water break up into hydrogen gas and hypochlorous acid and the hydrogen gas simply leaves the water in the form of small bubbles. The hypochlorous acid sanitizes water and then reverts back into salt, and the process repeats. It really couldn’t be much easier. You simply add a couple bags of salt in the spring then dial the generator run time as percentage of your pump run time. I usually have to make 2 or 3 adjustments per season depending on the time of year due to pool water temp and usage. Salt pools have numerous advantageous but most notably the ability to run lower CL levels, drastically reduced chemical maintenance and an overall more enjoyable swimming experience. I wouldn’t install a pool without one. For reference, the recommended salt level for an IG pool is about 3000 ppm. Ocean water is approximately 35K ppm, so it’s a very low concentration that’s required. Salt recognition varies from person to person but most people cannot even detect levels that low. You’re not gonna oxidize your pool whole area or anything…LOL. As mentioned, trouble free pool is the ultimate resource. Tons of knowledge over there.

IWreckALot
5/6/2019 6:23am
A salt water pool IS a chlorine pool. Chlorine is still the active sanitizer in both applications. The only difference is in how the chlorine is...
A salt water pool IS a chlorine pool. Chlorine is still the active sanitizer in both applications. The only difference is in how the chlorine is added to the water; either manually, tablets or through the use of a chlorine generator(salt system). I'm not gonna break into a chemistry lecture here but as an overview they work on electrolysis (low voltage DC). Salt and water break up into hydrogen gas and hypochlorous acid and the hydrogen gas simply leaves the water in the form of small bubbles. The hypochlorous acid sanitizes water and then reverts back into salt, and the process repeats. It really couldn’t be much easier. You simply add a couple bags of salt in the spring then dial the generator run time as percentage of your pump run time. I usually have to make 2 or 3 adjustments per season depending on the time of year due to pool water temp and usage. Salt pools have numerous advantageous but most notably the ability to run lower CL levels, drastically reduced chemical maintenance and an overall more enjoyable swimming experience. I wouldn’t install a pool without one. For reference, the recommended salt level for an IG pool is about 3000 ppm. Ocean water is approximately 35K ppm, so it’s a very low concentration that’s required. Salt recognition varies from person to person but most people cannot even detect levels that low. You’re not gonna oxidize your pool whole area or anything…LOL. As mentioned, trouble free pool is the ultimate resource. Tons of knowledge over there.

I had 0 problem maintaining my chlorine pool last year. Spent maybe $150 in chemicals. Literally all I did was add chlorine tablets once a week. PH was hit or miss, but easy enough to manage. Based on last year, there is no way you can convince me that saltwater management is any easier than chlorine. I'm probably lucky or whatever because I don't have any trees or plants around the pool, but it is in the sun all day long so chlorine should bake off. I never had any issues with algae or inconsistent chemical levels.
newmann
5/6/2019 7:03am
Since this one keeps popping up every couple years I figured I would give an updated pic of mine 4 months after the remodel was completed. Woohoo

brlatm
5/6/2019 7:55am
IWreckALot wrote:
I had 0 problem maintaining my chlorine pool last year. Spent maybe $150 in chemicals. Literally all I did was add chlorine tablets once a week...
I had 0 problem maintaining my chlorine pool last year. Spent maybe $150 in chemicals. Literally all I did was add chlorine tablets once a week. PH was hit or miss, but easy enough to manage. Based on last year, there is no way you can convince me that saltwater management is any easier than chlorine. I'm probably lucky or whatever because I don't have any trees or plants around the pool, but it is in the sun all day long so chlorine should bake off. I never had any issues with algae or inconsistent chemical levels.
You can go get all the leaves and shit out of my pool then to make it up. Cool
IWreckALot
5/6/2019 8:04am Edited Date/Time 5/6/2019 8:04am
brlatm wrote:
You can go get all the leaves and shit out of my pool then to make it up. Cool
Hey man, you got two perfectly fit pool cleaners living in your house. Ha.

I'd be lying if I said I'm not having problems at the moment. But it's mostly out of a combination of laziness, rain, and construction debris getting in the pool. I spend a few days sweeping and cleaning filters, it clears right up though.

Post a reply to: Swimming Pool Install

The Latest