Stump Falcon

Falcon
Fantasy
798th
11/23/2021 9:03am
What is a Biltmore stick? It's not a trick question.
Total guess: a pool que?
SEEMEFIRST
11/23/2021 10:50am
Falcon wrote:
I think it's a stick that you can figure square footage of a stack of lumber, or something like that.

My old framing boss had one I think.
TXDirt
11/23/2021 11:08am
Name the one sport in which neither the spectators nor the participants know the score or the leader until the contest ends?

The Shop

Falcon
Fantasy
798th
11/23/2021 11:17am
Falcon wrote:
SEEMEFIRST wrote:
I think it's a stick that you can figure square footage of a stack of lumber, or something like that. My old framing boss had one...
I think it's a stick that you can figure square footage of a stack of lumber, or something like that.

My old framing boss had one I think.
OK, you stumped Falcon!

I had to Google it. Here's what came up:
A Biltmore stick, dated to the early 19th century, is one method used for measuring tree diameter and height (total or merchantable). From there, the total board feet of the tree can be established, along with tonnage and cubic feet.
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
11/23/2021 11:19am
TXDirt wrote:
Name the one sport in which neither the spectators nor the participants know the score or the leader until the contest ends?
Boxing.
Kenny Lingus
11/23/2021 12:49pm
The head forester at Biltmore Estates (Vanderbilt) developed it. You use it to measure DBH and number of usable logs in a tree. Hold it horizontal at the end of your reach at eye level close to the tree for DBH then vertical 66' away (for mine) for logs. You then can use growth tables to estimate board footage in a tree while it still stands. It uses clever geometry. I made mine to custom fit my reach. Everything is faded hard to see the markings. It's only DBH in pic.

SEEMEFIRST
11/23/2021 4:18pm
The head forester at Biltmore Estates (Vanderbilt) developed it. You use it to measure DBH and number of usable logs in a tree. Hold it horizontal...
The head forester at Biltmore Estates (Vanderbilt) developed it. You use it to measure DBH and number of usable logs in a tree. Hold it horizontal at the end of your reach at eye level close to the tree for DBH then vertical 66' away (for mine) for logs. You then can use growth tables to estimate board footage in a tree while it still stands. It uses clever geometry. I made mine to custom fit my reach. Everything is faded hard to see the markings. It's only DBH in pic.

OK, that's different than what I was thinking of.
Maybe the name crossed over.
The thing I was thinking about will calculate the board feet of a stack of whatever you have a stack of.

I never used the sumbitch, I was just the guy putting it together...
sumdood
Fantasy
1282nd
11/24/2021 12:10am
Ok Falcon here’s a couple right up your alley. Use the words There, They’re, Their, To, Two and Too in one sentence.

How many words are spelled and pronounced the same but can have more than one meaning. Example : Sand, He’s going to sand the board smooth while standing on the sand. How many others are there ?

Falcon
Fantasy
798th
11/24/2021 9:54am
sumdood wrote:
Ok Falcon here’s a couple right up your alley. Use the words There, They’re, Their, To, Two and Too in one sentence. How many words are...
Ok Falcon here’s a couple right up your alley. Use the words There, They’re, Their, To, Two and Too in one sentence.

How many words are spelled and pronounced the same but can have more than one meaning. Example : Sand, He’s going to sand the board smooth while standing on the sand. How many others are there ?

They're going to use their two implements over there, too. Cool

Also,
There is a class of words called HETERONYMS, which are spelled the same but are different words. Technically they do not have to sound the same. Examples would be "dove" the bird and "dove" the past tense of "dive."
Your example of sand may actually just be two forms of the same word; one is a noun (beach sand) and one is a verb (to use sandpper.) Technically the latter is made with the former.
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
11/24/2021 9:56am
The tailgate question is probably more a question of opinion than a fact. I can't really help, except to offer my opinion: I don't think they are necessary.
Markee
Fantasy
1890th
11/26/2021 7:19am
Markee wrote:
There are 3 light switches, one turns on a light bulb in the basement, how can you determine which one works the light with only one...
There are 3 light switches, one turns on a light bulb in the basement, how can you determine which one works the light with only one trip down to the basement?
Falcon wrote:
Replace the light bulb with a screw-in outlet and connect a radio to it. Listen while you flip the switches.
Na. If you can only go down once, how would you operate the light switches to hear the radio?
SEEMEFIRST
11/26/2021 8:06am Edited Date/Time 11/26/2021 8:08am
Markee wrote:
There are 3 light switches, one turns on a light bulb in the basement, how can you determine which one works the light with only one...
There are 3 light switches, one turns on a light bulb in the basement, how can you determine which one works the light with only one trip down to the basement?
Falcon wrote:
Replace the light bulb with a screw-in outlet and connect a radio to it. Listen while you flip the switches.
Markee wrote:
Na. If you can only go down once, how would you operate the light switches to hear the radio?
Go down and remove the bulb.
Stick your finger in the socket.
Tell the wife "DO NOT TOUCH THESE SWITCHES!"

Learned that trick replacing a ceiling fan.
SEEMEFIRST
11/26/2021 8:12am
I really don't understand the feat.
I'll let you go, but being an electro-mechanical troubleshooter, I can solve it without ever going into the basement.
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
11/26/2021 4:58pm
Markee wrote:
Falcon wrote:
Markee wrote:
Turn the radio up loud. Then go back upstairs and flip the switches. You've only been down once, and when you hear the radio, you know which switch did it.
Boomslang
Fantasy
548th
11/26/2021 10:11pm
Did freya or Odin ever own a pig ,and if either of them did what was its name?
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
11/28/2021 1:02pm
Boomslang wrote:
Odin from Norse mythology? I don't know. You've already stumped Falcon. What's the name of the pig?
Sunhouse
11/28/2021 2:28pm
Boomslang wrote:
«Hildisvini», which essentially means «battle pig». And Frøya rode it, not sure if Odin took it for a spin at times
Markee
Fantasy
1890th
11/30/2021 4:22pm
Falcon wrote:
Markee wrote:
Falcon wrote:
Turn the radio up loud. Then go back upstairs and flip the switches. You've only been down once, and when you hear the radio, you know...
Turn the radio up loud. Then go back upstairs and flip the switches. You've only been down once, and when you hear the radio, you know which switch did it.
Na. There is no radio. There are 3 light switches and one light bulb you can't see.

There is no screw driver and multi-meters near by either Cool
Robgvx
11/30/2021 5:47pm Edited Date/Time 11/30/2021 5:52pm
This’ll stump you.

Give me an English word that has five vowels in a row. It doesn’t have ALL of the vowels, just five in a row.

I’ll forgive you if you use the (incorrect, of course) American spelling which omits one of the five to instead have four in a row.

Hint: it’s an everyday word in Great Britain, but you generally use another word in its place in the US.
Robgvx
11/30/2021 5:51pm
Here’s another.

Give me an English sentence which uses the word ‘and’ five times in a row (and and and and and) but which makes sense when read aloud.
SEEMEFIRST
11/30/2021 5:52pm
Robgvx wrote:
This’ll stump you. Give me an English word that has five vowels in a row. It doesn’t have ALL of the vowels, just five in a...
This’ll stump you.

Give me an English word that has five vowels in a row. It doesn’t have ALL of the vowels, just five in a row.

I’ll forgive you if you use the (incorrect, of course) American spelling which omits one of the five to instead have four in a row.

Hint: it’s an everyday word in Great Britain, but you generally use another word in its place in the US.
I know 1 that has 4 in a row, but don't know how you get 5 .
Robgvx
11/30/2021 5:55pm
Falcon wrote:
Third stump of Falcon today…

What’s the correct spelling of ‘pool cue’?

🤣🤣🤣
SEEMEFIRST
11/30/2021 5:55pm
Robgvx wrote:
Here’s another. Give me an English sentence which uses the word ‘and’ five times in a row (and and and and and) but which makes sense...
Here’s another.

Give me an English sentence which uses the word ‘and’ five times in a row (and and and and and) but which makes sense when read aloud.
Hell, I can't think of one with more than 2.
Robgvx
11/30/2021 5:56pm
SEEMEFIRST wrote:
Are we going to wait for Falcon to have a go?
SEEMEFIRST
11/30/2021 6:01pm
SEEMEFIRST wrote:
Robgvx wrote:
Are we going to wait for Falcon to have a go?
Absolutely.

This is his game. Let's give him some time to see it.

Although I am chomping at the bit to hear the results.
SEEMEFIRST
11/30/2021 6:04pm
Falcon wrote:
Robgvx wrote:

🤣🤣🤣
Queue.
That's more like waiting.

You are standing in a queue waiting for your turn.

How do you get to 5 vowels?
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
12/1/2021 8:48am
Markee wrote:
Falcon wrote:
Turn the radio up loud. Then go back upstairs and flip the switches. You've only been down once, and when you hear the radio, you know...
Markee wrote:
Na. There is no radio. There are 3 light switches and one light bulb you can't see. There is no screw driver and multi-meters near by...
Na. There is no radio. There are 3 light switches and one light bulb you can't see.

There is no screw driver and multi-meters near by either Cool
OK then, there are a few other possibilities:

-The "one trip" is made by a second person, who will call out when the light turns on,
-You get lucky and throw the correct switch on the first try,
-The other two switches also control the light

Am I getting warmer?
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
12/1/2021 8:49am
Falcon wrote:
Robgvx wrote:

🤣🤣🤣
D'oh!
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
12/1/2021 8:57am
By the way, you guys are crushing it on the trivia! Keep it coming! Maybe I can guess one of the next tidbits.

Post a reply to: Stump Falcon

The Latest