Students sent home over U.S. flag attire

Related:
Create New Tag

5/6/2010 8:26 AM

|

5/6/2010 8:29 AM

SAW THAT

That's just wrong

|





This great Nation will endure as it has endured, will revive and will prosper. So, first of all, let me assert my firm belief that the only thing we have to fear is fear itself. - FDR



[LINK TO IMAGE]
"Grant money is not pork" - Rep Allen West

5/6/2010 8:29 AM

california is mini-mexico.

|

5/6/2010 8:45 AM

Principals email addy

Nick.Boden@mhu.k12.ca.us

He got an earful from me.

|

"It always seems impossible until it's done." -- Nelson Mandela

5/6/2010 9:04 AM

oldfart wrote:

Principals email addy

Nick.Boden@mhu.k12.ca.us

He got an earful from me.

x2

|

The message posted above is most likely my opinion and shouldn't be taken as fact....

5/6/2010 9:25 AM

WTF?

|

5/6/2010 9:40 AM

If it were anywhere other than CA I would be surprised. I wonder what flag they flew in front of their school yesterday.

|

5/6/2010 10:53 AM

Hey don't forget to boycott Arizona.

|

5/6/2010 11:16 AM

GoldenState54 wrote:

Hey don't forget to boycott Arizona.

I'm more inclined to wanna go, I see a tremendous economic opportunity in AZ right now. Someone will retire over this law, maybe many people.

|

"It always seems impossible until it's done." -- Nelson Mandela

5/6/2010 11:27 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/17/2016 10:39 PM

While I disagree with the students being sent home, I believe that they were simply trying to be smart asses towards the Mexican students. That said, so what. This is America right? In America, you have the right to be an asshole if that is what you want to be.




|

5/6/2010 11:27 AM

"In the first place we should insist that the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equity with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace or origin. But this is predicated upon the man's becoming an American and nothing but an American. There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag, and this excludes the red flag which symbolizes all wars against liberty and civilization, just as much as it excludes any flag of a nation to which we are hostile. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people." Theodore Roosevelt in a letter to the American Defense Society in 1919.
|

5/6/2010 11:32 AM

I'm too lazy to read that article and I don't really care because to me, it's just a shirt. I don't get all teary eyed when I think of the flag.

But from a school's perspective, they have to maintain the "learning" environment at their school. I see things like this all the time. The problem is gangs. Gangs wear red and blue so what do schools do? They ban those colors. Some kids get sent home for wearing those colors but eventually everyone quits wearing those colors and there is less DISTRACTION at the school.

But the story doesn't end there. The gang members - eager to obtain a sense of togetherness with one another - will find a new thing to wear to symbolize their gang. Most often, they pick a new color to sport and eventually, that color begins to mean something and becomes a distraction to the other students and the "learning" environment in general. Then, the school bans THAT color too.

I've seen kids get suspended for wearing WHITE! Yes, white!

Sounds ridiculous, but if 10-15 KNOWN gang members suddenly began wearing ALL white all the time, it would become an issue.

My suspicion is that those students at that school were gang affiliated and began to wear the american flag to represent their gang and then the school banned those shirts. Hilarious if you ask me.

|

5/6/2010 11:36 AM

Okay, so my lazy ass watched the video. LMAO! I was wrong and that principal is a jagoff.

|

5/6/2010 12:23 PM

One has to ask the school administration: What US holiday were they celebrating yesterday?

|

5/6/2010 12:29 PM

SteveS wrote:

One has to ask the school administration: What US holiday were they celebrating yesterday?

So it has to be a holiday to display American colors or flags?

|

5/6/2010 12:33 PM

The kids were right to wear US flag decorated clothing. That's fine any day.

The administration sent them home because they (the school) were celebrating something. What US holiday was that?

|

5/6/2010 12:36 PM

SteveS wrote:

The kids were right to wear US flag decorated clothing. That's fine any day.

The administration sent them home because they (the school) were celebrating something. What US holiday was that?

Oh OK then.

|

5/6/2010 12:48 PM

SteveS wrote:

One has to ask the school administration: What US holiday were they celebrating yesterday?

72kiteboarder wrote:

So it has to be a holiday to display American colors or flags?

Cinco de Mayo is a US Holiday? Shit, I didn't know that.

|

5/6/2010 1:33 PM

500guy wrote: "In the first place we should insist that the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equity with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace or origin. But this is predicated upon the man's becoming an American and nothing but an American. There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag, and this excludes the red flag which symbolizes all wars against liberty and civilization, just as much as it excludes any flag of a nation to which we are hostile. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people." Theodore Roosevelt in a letter to the American Defense Society in 1919.

Ding, ding, ding.....We have a winner!

|

I remain unperturbed by the joy and the madness, I encounter everywhere I turn.

5/6/2010 1:41 PM

500guy wrote: "In the first place we should insist that the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equity with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace or origin. But this is predicated upon the man's becoming an American and nothing but an American. There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag, and this excludes the red flag which symbolizes all wars against liberty and civilization, just as much as it excludes any flag of a nation to which we are hostile. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people." Theodore Roosevelt in a letter to the American Defense Society in 1919.

Thank you.

|

5/6/2010 1:47 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/17/2016 10:39 PM

500guy wrote: "In the first place we should insist that the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equity with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace or origin. But this is predicated upon the man's becoming an American and nothing but an American. There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag, and this excludes the red flag which symbolizes all wars against liberty and civilization, just as much as it excludes any flag of a nation to which we are hostile. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people." Theodore Roosevelt in a letter to the American Defense Society in 1919.

Mutt wrote:

Ding, ding, ding.....We have a winner!

Yep, that about sums it up. Roosevelt was a badass. If people don't like the law, tough nuggets. Be my guest & boycott Arizona. My wife is Mexican (hispanic) & my kids are half. None of us & none of her family have an issue with this new law. If all these armchair politicians lived out here, where the real issue is, they might understand. There's a big difference between being an immigrant & being an illegal immigrant. I think some people miss that point. "Political Correctness" has turned this country into a bunch of whiny, crying bitches. I'm not against Immigration, but I'm dead-set against Illegal Immigration. As for the OP, the Principal is a dolt & I hope he enjoys the shit storm he has brought on himself. Whether the kids did it to be smart asses or not is not the point. I see a ginormous lawsuit in the school district's future...//TJ

|

Fax mentis incedium gloriae

5/6/2010 1:54 PM

500guy wrote: "In the first place we should insist that the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equity with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace or origin. But this is predicated upon the man's becoming an American and nothing but an American. There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag, and this excludes the red flag which symbolizes all wars against liberty and civilization, just as much as it excludes any flag of a nation to which we are hostile. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people." Theodore Roosevelt in a letter to the American Defense Society in 1919.

Mutt wrote:

Ding, ding, ding.....We have a winner!

TJ wrote:

Yep, that about sums it up. Roosevelt was a badass. If people don't like the law, tough nuggets. Be my guest & boycott Arizona. My wife is Mexican (hispanic) & my kids are half. None of us & none of her family have an issue with this new law. If all these armchair politicians lived out here, where the real issue is, they might understand. There's a big difference between being an immigrant & being an illegal immigrant. I think some people miss that point. "Political Correctness" has turned this country into a bunch of whiny, crying bitches. I'm not against Immigration, but I'm dead-set against Illegal Immigration. As for the OP, the Principal is a dolt & I hope he enjoys the shit storm he has brought on himself. Whether the kids did it to be smart asses or not is not the point. I see a ginormous lawsuit in the school district's future...//TJ

Can we hold off on the boycott bidness till after we sell our house? Please?

|

5/6/2010 2:15 PM

500guy wrote: "In the first place we should insist that the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equity with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace or origin. But this is predicated upon the man's becoming an American and nothing but an American. There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag, and this excludes the red flag which symbolizes all wars against liberty and civilization, just as much as it excludes any flag of a nation to which we are hostile. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people." Theodore Roosevelt in a letter to the American Defense Society in 1919.

Right outta the park.

|

"The public sucks. Fuck hope." ~ George Carlin

5/6/2010 3:19 PM

Or we could just start the Support Arizona Coalition.

|

5/6/2010 3:31 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/6/2010 3:33 PM

500guy wrote: "In the first place we should insist that the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equity with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace or origin. But this is predicated upon the man's becoming an American and nothing but an American. There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag, and this excludes the red flag which symbolizes all wars against liberty and civilization, just as much as it excludes any flag of a nation to which we are hostile. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people." Theodore Roosevelt in a letter to the American Defense Society in 1919.

So, you believe that a person who immigrates to the US has to completely throw out their heritage? My wife is from Costa Rica and we fly both the US flag and the Costa Rican flag. A friend of mine married a Costa Rican who has become an American citizen but she is also a Costa Rican citizen.

Is it wrong that we celebrate Costa Rican holidays in our own home?

On the converse, when I am living in Costa Rica I celebrate US holidays along with many other expats. Nobody in Costa Rican seems to have an issue with that.

|

5/6/2010 5:06 PM

And none of the kids wearing flag-decorated clothing were having a problem with Cinco de Mayo. It was the Mexican kids who complained that the US flag was spoiling their enjoyment of a non-holiday at school that caused the problem.

And we better have an issue with that. We can celebrate Guy Fawkes Day if we want, but we cannot ban the US flag from school because of it. Likewise Bastille Day or Earth Day or anything else.

|

5/6/2010 5:10 PM

oldfart wrote:

Principals email addy

Nick.Boden@mhu.k12.ca.us

He got an earful from me.

I'm really startin' to like you.

|

I ripped a start from Egypt and I was happy about that.

5/6/2010 5:18 PM

bullpen58 wrote:

I'm too lazy to read that article and I don't really care because to me, it's just a shirt. I don't get all teary eyed when I think of the flag.

But from a school's perspective, they have to maintain the "learning" environment at their school. I see things like this all the time. The problem is gangs. Gangs wear red and blue so what do schools do? They ban those colors. Some kids get sent home for wearing those colors but eventually everyone quits wearing those colors and there is less DISTRACTION at the school.

But the story doesn't end there. The gang members - eager to obtain a sense of togetherness with one another - will find a new thing to wear to symbolize their gang. Most often, they pick a new color to sport and eventually, that color begins to mean something and becomes a distraction to the other students and the "learning" environment in general. Then, the school bans THAT color too.

I've seen kids get suspended for wearing WHITE! Yes, white!

Sounds ridiculous, but if 10-15 KNOWN gang members suddenly began wearing ALL white all the time, it would become an issue.

My suspicion is that those students at that school were gang affiliated and began to wear the american flag to represent their gang and then the school banned those shirts. Hilarious if you ask me.

O.K., let's review:

American kids wearing shirts with the U.S. Flag on them; however, it was on Cinco de Mayo...as if that should make a FUCKIN' DIFFERENCE...?

WHAT THE FUCK?

Then we look into the "School's Perspective"?

WHAT THE FUCK II?

This is jus' fuckin' SAD! I jus' got back from Mexico...this kinda shit doesn't HAPPEN DOWN THERE!

|

I ripped a start from Egypt and I was happy about that.

5/6/2010 5:59 PM

frogskin wrote:

So, you believe that a person who immigrates to the US has to completely throw out their heritage? My wife is from Costa Rica and we fly both the US flag and the Costa Rican flag. A friend of mine married a Costa Rican who has become an American citizen but she is also a Costa Rican citizen.

Is it wrong that we celebrate Costa Rican holidays in our own home?

On the converse, when I am living in Costa Rica I celebrate US holidays along with many other expats. Nobody in Costa Rican seems to have an issue with that.

I can tell you this. I have been to roughly 29 different countries from France, Singapore, Mexico, Hong Kong, Oman, and Haiti. Nowhere did I see people displaying flags from different countries. The only place that seems to be tolerated by the public at large is America. In fact, if you were to display any flag other than the country you are in in a few of them, you will go directly to jail.

|

5/6/2010 6:09 PM

Cute ass on the blond at the end.
That said, I wonder if any of those kids wore a US flag on quatro de Mayo? Probably not. It was a bit of a taunt, which is really unnecessary with all that's happening right now.
I cant believe what they let kids wear to school these days. I got swatted on the ass on the last day school in 7th grade because my shirt wasn't tucked in.

|