Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 2:40am
|
huck
5/6/2010 9:04am
x2

The Shop

Bob693
5/6/2010 9:40am
If it were anywhere other than CA I would be surprised. I wonder what flag they flew in front of their school yesterday.
72kiteboarder
5/6/2010 11:27am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 10:39pm
While I disagree with the students being sent home, I believe that they were simply trying to be smart asses towards the Mexican students. That said, so what. This is America right? In America, you have the right to be an asshole if that is what you want to be.

500guy
5/6/2010 11:27am
"In the first place we should insist that the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equity with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace or origin. But this is predicated upon the man's becoming an American and nothing but an American. There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag, and this excludes the red flag which symbolizes all wars against liberty and civilization, just as much as it excludes any flag of a nation to which we are hostile. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people." Theodore Roosevelt in a letter to the American Defense Society in 1919.
bullpen58
5/6/2010 11:32am
I'm too lazy to read that article and I don't really care because to me, it's just a shirt. I don't get all teary eyed when I think of the flag.

But from a school's perspective, they have to maintain the "learning" environment at their school. I see things like this all the time. The problem is gangs. Gangs wear red and blue so what do schools do? They ban those colors. Some kids get sent home for wearing those colors but eventually everyone quits wearing those colors and there is less DISTRACTION at the school.

But the story doesn't end there. The gang members - eager to obtain a sense of togetherness with one another - will find a new thing to wear to symbolize their gang. Most often, they pick a new color to sport and eventually, that color begins to mean something and becomes a distraction to the other students and the "learning" environment in general. Then, the school bans THAT color too.

I've seen kids get suspended for wearing WHITE! Yes, white!

Sounds ridiculous, but if 10-15 KNOWN gang members suddenly began wearing ALL white all the time, it would become an issue.

My suspicion is that those students at that school were gang affiliated and began to wear the american flag to represent their gang and then the school banned those shirts. Hilarious if you ask me.
bullpen58
5/6/2010 11:36am
Okay, so my lazy ass watched the video. LMAO! I was wrong and that principal is a jagoff.
SteveS
5/6/2010 12:23pm
One has to ask the school administration: What US holiday were they celebrating yesterday?

72kiteboarder
5/6/2010 12:29pm
SteveS wrote:
One has to ask the school administration: What US holiday were they celebrating yesterday?

So it has to be a holiday to display American colors or flags?
SteveS
5/6/2010 12:33pm
The kids were right to wear US flag decorated clothing. That's fine any day.

The administration sent them home because they (the school) were celebrating something. What US holiday was that?
72kiteboarder
5/6/2010 12:36pm
SteveS wrote:
The kids were right to wear US flag decorated clothing. That's fine any day. The administration sent them home because they (the school) were celebrating something...
The kids were right to wear US flag decorated clothing. That's fine any day.

The administration sent them home because they (the school) were celebrating something. What US holiday was that?
Oh OK then.
Blake
5/6/2010 12:48pm
SteveS wrote:

So it has to be a holiday to display American colors or flags?
Cinco de Mayo is a US Holiday? Shit, I didn't know that.Dry
Mutt
5/6/2010 1:33pm
500guy wrote:
[b]"In the first place we should insist that the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall...
"In the first place we should insist that the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equity with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace or origin. But this is predicated upon the man's becoming an American and nothing but an American. There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag, and this excludes the red flag which symbolizes all wars against liberty and civilization, just as much as it excludes any flag of a nation to which we are hostile. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people." Theodore Roosevelt in a letter to the American Defense Society in 1919.
Ding, ding, ding.....We have a winner!
slowvet
5/6/2010 1:41pm
500guy wrote:
[b]"In the first place we should insist that the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall...
Thank you.
TJ
5/6/2010 1:47pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 10:39pm
500guy wrote:
Mutt wrote:
Yep, that about sums it up. Roosevelt was a badass. If people don't like the law, tough nuggets. Be my guest & boycott Arizona. My wife is Mexican (hispanic) & my kids are half. None of us & none of her family have an issue with this new law. If all these armchair politicians lived out here, where the real issue is, they might understand. There's a big difference between being an immigrant & being an illegal immigrant. I think some people miss that point. "Political Correctness" has turned this country into a bunch of whiny, crying bitches. I'm not against Immigration, but I'm dead-set against Illegal Immigration. As for the OP, the Principal is a dolt & I hope he enjoys the shit storm he has brought on himself. Whether the kids did it to be smart asses or not is not the point. I see a ginormous lawsuit in the school district's future...//TJ
slowvet
5/6/2010 1:54pm
500guy wrote:
Mutt wrote:
TJ wrote:
Yep, that about sums it up. Roosevelt was a badass. If people don't like the law, tough nuggets. Be my guest & boycott Arizona. My wife...
Yep, that about sums it up. Roosevelt was a badass. If people don't like the law, tough nuggets. Be my guest & boycott Arizona. My wife is Mexican (hispanic) & my kids are half. None of us & none of her family have an issue with this new law. If all these armchair politicians lived out here, where the real issue is, they might understand. There's a big difference between being an immigrant & being an illegal immigrant. I think some people miss that point. "Political Correctness" has turned this country into a bunch of whiny, crying bitches. I'm not against Immigration, but I'm dead-set against Illegal Immigration. As for the OP, the Principal is a dolt & I hope he enjoys the shit storm he has brought on himself. Whether the kids did it to be smart asses or not is not the point. I see a ginormous lawsuit in the school district's future...//TJ
Can we hold off on the boycott bidness till after we sell our house? Please?
Racer92
5/6/2010 2:15pm
500guy wrote:
Right outta the park.
SteveS
5/6/2010 5:06pm
And none of the kids wearing flag-decorated clothing were having a problem with Cinco de Mayo. It was the Mexican kids who complained that the US flag was spoiling their enjoyment of a non-holiday at school that caused the problem.

And we better have an issue with that. We can celebrate Guy Fawkes Day if we want, but we cannot ban the US flag from school because of it. Likewise Bastille Day or Earth Day or anything else.
TeamGreen
5/6/2010 5:18pm
bullpen58 wrote:
I'm too lazy to read that article and I don't really care because to me, it's just a shirt. I don't get all teary eyed when...
I'm too lazy to read that article and I don't really care because to me, it's just a shirt. I don't get all teary eyed when I think of the flag.

But from a school's perspective, they have to maintain the "learning" environment at their school. I see things like this all the time. The problem is gangs. Gangs wear red and blue so what do schools do? They ban those colors. Some kids get sent home for wearing those colors but eventually everyone quits wearing those colors and there is less DISTRACTION at the school.

But the story doesn't end there. The gang members - eager to obtain a sense of togetherness with one another - will find a new thing to wear to symbolize their gang. Most often, they pick a new color to sport and eventually, that color begins to mean something and becomes a distraction to the other students and the "learning" environment in general. Then, the school bans THAT color too.

I've seen kids get suspended for wearing WHITE! Yes, white!

Sounds ridiculous, but if 10-15 KNOWN gang members suddenly began wearing ALL white all the time, it would become an issue.

My suspicion is that those students at that school were gang affiliated and began to wear the american flag to represent their gang and then the school banned those shirts. Hilarious if you ask me.
O.K., let's review:

American kids wearing shirts with the U.S. Flag on them; however, it was on Cinco de Mayo...as if that should make a FUCKIN' DIFFERENCE...?

WHAT THE FUCK?

Then we look into the "School's Perspective"?

WHAT THE FUCK II?

This is jus' fuckin' SAD! I jus' got back from Mexico...this kinda shit doesn't HAPPEN DOWN THERE!
72kiteboarder
5/6/2010 5:59pm
I can tell you this. I have been to roughly 29 different countries from France, Singapore, Mexico, Hong Kong, Oman, and Haiti. Nowhere did I see people displaying flags from different countries. The only place that seems to be tolerated by the public at large is America. In fact, if you were to display any flag other than the country you are in in a few of them, you will go directly to jail.
borg
5/6/2010 6:09pm
Cute ass on the blond at the end.
That said, I wonder if any of those kids wore a US flag on quatro de Mayo? Probably not. It was a bit of a taunt, which is really unnecessary with all that's happening right now.
I cant believe what they let kids wear to school these days. I got swatted on the ass on the last day school in 7th grade because my shirt wasn't tucked in.
borg
5/6/2010 7:00pm
There is a concept in human interaction called "being the better man". I would have had that discussion with boys wearing the the US flag yesterday and I would have given them the opportunity replace the shirts. As it turned out, they chose not to be the better man. The above video shows the people on the other end of this also chose the other path. Basically they have validated my opinion of today's youth as being nothing but a bunch of fucking brats. Prison striped uniforms would be the rule the very next day if I were in charge.
72kiteboarder
5/6/2010 7:04pm
I think that ALL schools up through 12th grade should require uniforms. And, it should be a National uniform so that if you move from Texas to Delaware the uniform is the same.
jmar
5/6/2010 7:15pm
borg wrote:
There is a concept in human interaction called "being the better man". I would have had that discussion with boys wearing the the US flag yesterday...
There is a concept in human interaction called "being the better man". I would have had that discussion with boys wearing the the US flag yesterday and I would have given them the opportunity replace the shirts. As it turned out, they chose not to be the better man. The above video shows the people on the other end of this also chose the other path. Basically they have validated my opinion of today's youth as being nothing but a bunch of fucking brats. Prison striped uniforms would be the rule the very next day if I were in charge.
I agree borg.

Both have learned well from todays sociality, and their parents.

Post a reply to: Students sent home over U.S. flag attire

The Latest