Strokes

Anyone had one? Having my first and hopefully last. Blood pressure was really high, time to start seeing a doctor. I’m 57. Working late at night on my rental property, laying a few brick and tuck pointing and my right side started tingling and numbness. I thought I got bitten by a brown recluse spider. Turns out I was having a stroke (small). Ended up working for a couple more hours and another beer before driving home. I got really lucky. Two days ago and right side of face is still numb and right arm tingling and numbness. I know now to call 911. Should be leaving Hospital today.
|
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
5/8/2019 11:44am
I have a great joke on tap about 2 strokes but I'll save it for a better day.
Hope you recover 100%. My dad had a stroke and he's never been the same, although since you are typing you're better off already. Get well soon!
peelout
5/8/2019 2:00pm Edited Date/Time 5/8/2019 2:02pm
damn man, strokes are something else. i sincerely hope you have a full recovery and no lingering effects.

my fiancee had a major stroke/s 2.5 years ago at 30 years old. she had the first stroke in her sleep, woke up unable to function and unable to operate her phone let alone a door knob. about an hour goes by and things start making sense to her again so she drives to the instacare, still unaware of what was happening. the doc tells her she has a migraine and to go home and rest. she calls me and i go get her and take her to the ER. they discover she's had a stroke and has a massive clot on the left side of her brain. they give her a blood thinner at 1pm and at 10pm she has a massive hemmorhage on her brain.

she takes the life-flight to SLC where they tell us she likely will not survive the night and that the first 24 hours will be crucial to her survival and any form of recovery. the next 2 weeks are hell and many times i'm wondering if she'll make it. miraculously she starts walking one day, even though she's paralyzed in her right arm/hand and face. about 3 months later she gets most of her right arm back and all of her facial movement. her occupational therapist told us that never in her 35 years has she seen a recovery like hers.

i'm happy to say that if you saw/met her today you would never know something so major happened to her.
5/8/2019 2:58pm
Wow. Dang Peelout, sounds like a bad nightmare. Great to hear about your wife’s recovery. I only have numbness on half my face and arm. Other than that, I’m good to go. Until I get back to work and start putting in 12 hour days and the stress level ramps up.

The Shop

Falcon
Fantasy
856th
5/8/2019 3:21pm
Jokes are good. Let me hear it.
I was going to say "this is one scenario when 2 strokes are bad."

See? Not all jokes are good. Laughing
5/8/2019 3:50pm
Falcon wrote:

But still better than 4 strokes Laughing
71Fish
5/8/2019 5:23pm
Did you have high blood pressure before?

I've been in denial about my pressure for a long time and hate taking meds. I even lost a bunch of weight I really didn't need to lose and it stayed high. Finally started taking meds 3 months ago.

Take care of yourself.
5/8/2019 5:52pm
8 years ago I was told I had high blood pressure and a month later I seen the doctor and he said it was fine. I might of had white coat syndrome he said. So I just went about my merry way. I eat fast food, drink way to much soda and over do the beer. All my blood test came back normal, except the blood pressure 182/113. I am home and have medicine and a doctor now. Things are feeling better. Back to work Monday. And 12 plus hour work days. Blink
Ted722
5/8/2019 6:59pm
Glad you're here to tell the tale. "I know now to call 911" is so so true. Had a similar episode last year and the one thing I'd do different is the 911 part. Wish you many more years of health and contentment.
FLmxer
Fantasy
905th
5/8/2019 8:55pm
Wow, glad you are feeling better 2 smoke, take it easy as much as you can.
That was also really scary peelout, man the stress must of been unreal especially not knowing what was going on.
5/9/2019 6:53am
8 years ago I was told I had high blood pressure and a month later I seen the doctor and he said it was fine. I...
8 years ago I was told I had high blood pressure and a month later I seen the doctor and he said it was fine. I might of had white coat syndrome he said. So I just went about my merry way. I eat fast food, drink way to much soda and over do the beer. All my blood test came back normal, except the blood pressure 182/113. I am home and have medicine and a doctor now. Things are feeling better. Back to work Monday. And 12 plus hour work days. Blink
When I see a blood pressure like that in the ER it makes me queezy. It really is the silent killer. Hypertension puts you at risk for hemorrhagic strokes too and those can really mess you up. Imagine a blood vessel in your brain popping because of high pressure. I see them every once in a while and can tell you that they are usually smokers who don't take anything for blood pressure. They're really sad. I've seen some young ones. Most times there isn't anything that we can do for them.

The best first step and what most doctors recommend is to get a blood pressure cuff for home and keep a journal of your readings.
5/9/2019 8:07am
8 years ago I was told I had high blood pressure and a month later I seen the doctor and he said it was fine. I...
When I see a blood pressure like that in the ER it makes me queezy. It really is the silent killer. Hypertension puts you at risk...
When I see a blood pressure like that in the ER it makes me queezy. It really is the silent killer. Hypertension puts you at risk for hemorrhagic strokes too and those can really mess you up. Imagine a blood vessel in your brain popping because of high pressure. I see them every once in a while and can tell you that they are usually smokers who don't take anything for blood pressure. They're really sad. I've seen some young ones. Most times there isn't anything that we can do for them.

The best first step and what most doctors recommend is to get a blood pressure cuff for home and keep a journal of your readings.
Thanks. I’ll start keeping a log of my pressures.
Casting
5/9/2019 8:58am Edited Date/Time 5/9/2019 8:59am
Hey 2smoke, I'm sorry to hear you had a stroke but glad you are OK and at a hospital getting care.

Keep "FAST" in mind:

Face - face drooping, feeling numb
Arms - feeling weak or tingling
Speech - slurring or having a hard time speaking
TIME TO CALL FOR HELP

Those are some of the first signs of a stroke. The sooner docs can get their hands on you the better the long term outcome.

I hope this was just a one-time thing and you are healthy moving forward.

Heal up and don't be like my dad who is too stubborn to ask for a doctor...
peelout
5/9/2019 9:07am
FLmxer wrote:
Wow, glad you are feeling better 2 smoke, take it easy as much as you can. That was also really scary peelout, man the stress must...
That was also really scary peelout, man the stress must of been unreal especially not knowing what was going on.
i was going gray well before the incident but it was a drastic change in those 3-4 months. thanks man, scary stuff for sure.
OldPro277
5/9/2019 10:54am
FLmxer wrote:
Wow, glad you are feeling better 2 smoke, take it easy as much as you can. That was also really scary peelout, man the stress must...
peelout wrote:
i was going gray well before the incident but it was a drastic change in those 3-4 months. thanks man, scary stuff for sure.
Wow Peely-- thats a crazy story. 30 is waaaay too young . Sounds like she is a walking miracle ,and you have proven your manhood by sticking by her and helping her through it all. Way to go man !!.Its not easy I went thru something similar with my wife when we were in our late 30's . She was diagnosed with a very aggressive form of breast cancer. Double mastectomy and 17 surgeries and chemo out the wazoo and the fact she was an athlete contributed to a remarkable recovery. And shes returned to her former competitive athletic glory. But it was 2-3 years of pure hell getting everyone thru it. Continued good luck to her (and you )!!!!

And 2stroker--- keep the faith my man. Sounds like you will recover, but I'd certainly slow down those 12 hour work days until you get the BP straightened out !!!!
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
5/10/2019 11:11am
Falcon wrote:

But still better than 4 strokes Laughing
Yes, far better!!!

Post a reply to: Strokes

The Latest