Street bike deer strike

just James
Edited Date/Time 8/4/2020 11:56am
It was a cool morning in September of 2005, but it was supposed to be a warm afternoon that day, so I decided to ride my R1 to work. I had gone about half of the 2 mile distance down the sparsely populated county road toward the freeway when, in the middle of a left hand corner, I saw a deer, at exactly the same moment as my front tire struck it broadside. I had no chance to react in any way. Suddenly it seemed that I was levitating above the bike, with only my hands still in contact with it. I remember sensing that the back of the bike was swinging wildly from side to side, and the next thing I knew was that I was flying totally blind through the air. I have no idea how high I was launched, nor how far I flew, but it was long enough that I remember thinking that I was about to hit something, but I didn't know if it was going to be the road, a tree, or something else. I had no way of knowing whether I was upside down, right side up, or what part of me was going to hit first. As it turned out, I landed in the middle of the road, with my right shoulder and the right side of my head coming down first. I had been doing about 45-50mph, and I will never forget the sound of my helmet grinding along on the asphalt as I came to a stop. I was on my back in the middle of the road, and I could tell that my right shoulder and hip were in bad shape. I tried to get myself off of the road, but without the use of my right arm or leg, I could not move myself.
Thankfully, my phone was in my left shirt pocket, under my jacket. I still don't know how I managed to get my very snug fitting helmet off. This was 4:30am, and I called my wife out of a sound sleep and told her what had happened, but that I didn't know exactly where I was. I also called my employer and told him the same thing, which totally freaked him out because he was afraid that I was in the middle of a busy highway. My wife arrived in a few minutes, and parked in the road with her flashers on to protect me. She said that I kept drifting in and out of consciousness, and that each time I would sort of get it together, I would ask her what had happened. Over and over again.
The ambulance arrived a while later and hauled me to the hospital about 25 minutes away. The neck stabilization collar is mighty uncomfortable against a broken shoulder/collar bone. They took a bunch of x-rays, and my wife was there to show the doctor which of the fractures were fresh, and which ones were preexisting from motocross.
I ended up with a broken collar bone, some upper ribs, and my scapula was totally shattered, but not displaced at all. I would have sworn that my hip or pelvis was broken, but they could not find anything wrong with it.
I always wear a helmet, and would even if it weren't mandatory. There is no doubt that I would not have survived that crash without a helmet.
BTW, it was a very small deer, probably not more than 35-40 pounds. It was killed instantly, and the impact was so forceful that it wedged a bunch of hair between the front tire and the wheel.
|
71Fish
7/30/2020 10:20pm
Deer scare me more than idiot drivers trying to kill me. Glad you made it through. Do you still ride after that?
just James
7/31/2020 3:26am
71Fish wrote:
Deer scare me more than idiot drivers trying to kill me. Glad you made it through. Do you still ride after that?
Yeah, deer are incredibly stupid animals. I think that God put them here for two reasons. To be walking brush cutters, and to be food for animals that do have a brain. I have had them run full speed into the side of a car I was driving.
And yes, I still ride street bikes.
JAFO92
7/31/2020 5:48am
Glad you survived that. Stuff like that is why I no longer ride street bikes, I understand theres risk on all 2-wheeled stuff, but I just cant do street riding anymore. I almost hit an armadillo doing about 60 at night once, bike went on Craigslist soon as I got home that night.
Chance1216
7/31/2020 7:05am
Glad you survived that. I’ve never owned a street bike.
They’re cool and something I’ve always wanted but, refrained from buying one. Everyone I know who has one, has been in a wreck. That’s what’s scary. Whether an animal or another driver, it seems like a matter of time.
Years ago my grandfather told me, on a dirt bike, you only have yourself to worry about in most cases. On a street bike not only do you have to worry about yourself, you need to worry about everything and everyone else on the road.

The Shop

gt80rider
7/31/2020 7:18am
I don't ride at night, or even at dusk anymore because of the outrageous amount of deer that are around now days... Keep it to day riding and very few deer sightings......
just James
7/31/2020 9:53am
I had actually hit a full grown buck with a Honda CBX that I had many years ago. I was going straight at about 55mph when he trotted out in front of me. Direct hit, head to headlight. Killed him instantly, but didn't hardly even shake the bike, let alone knock me down.
A friend of mine had one jump just he got to it on his Harley. Deer didn't even touch the bike, but cleaned my friend right off of it.
Hoseclamp
Fantasy
617th
7/31/2020 11:14am
just James wrote:
I had actually hit a full grown buck with a Honda CBX that I had many years ago. I was going straight at about 55mph when...
I had actually hit a full grown buck with a Honda CBX that I had many years ago. I was going straight at about 55mph when he trotted out in front of me. Direct hit, head to headlight. Killed him instantly, but didn't hardly even shake the bike, let alone knock me down.
A friend of mine had one jump just he got to it on his Harley. Deer didn't even touch the bike, but cleaned my friend right off of it.
Yeah, thats cause the CBX motor hanging out the sides of the bike act like stabilizing wings like an airplane or missel or something HAHA
Taotech
7/31/2020 11:34am
I ride and deer are my biggest fear.
just James
7/31/2020 11:39am
Need a "breed and release" program for cougars. They love to dine on the filthy critters.
KennyT
Fantasy
280th
7/31/2020 11:58am
I ride on average 400 miles a week on the coast/backroads. On the backroads I’m always fearful of varmits jumping out in front of me. Does anyone know if those dear whistles do anything? Not too many here in so cal but they are out there.
Glad to hear you pulled through that terrible accident. My god how frightening
Chance1216
7/31/2020 2:47pm
KennyT wrote:
I ride on average 400 miles a week on the coast/backroads. On the backroads I’m always fearful of varmits jumping out in front of me. Does...
I ride on average 400 miles a week on the coast/backroads. On the backroads I’m always fearful of varmits jumping out in front of me. Does anyone know if those dear whistles do anything? Not too many here in so cal but they are out there.
A lot of times, if you whistle when a deer is running, it’ll stop in its tracks.
7/31/2020 9:16pm
I was lucky never to clock a deer. But also tried limiting riding at night.

I was leaned over going around a sharp cloverleaf and a damn squirrel runs out in front of us. I narrowly missed him but my buddy close in tow hit that squirrel and went down. Slid farther than I thought was even possible. Of course we were clipping along well. Fresh pavement and about 99 degrees that day. Bike stuck like glue and we didn’t need to be riding that fast hindsight.

Squirrels and gravel/grit. Bah!!!
G-man
8/1/2020 1:03am Edited Date/Time 8/1/2020 1:24am
Yes you need to be cautious of wildlife on a street bike for sure.
Some areas are obviously more hazardous with deer than others. Out here in Arizona where I am in The Valley not so much deer but wild horses along the Salt River.

Along time ago about 30 years I was on my Honda Hurricane with a girl on the back coming home from the Lake at night.
Suddenly a LARGE black horse was in the road and I grabbed the binders really hard and was able to avoid it. Woohoo

I truly believe without dirtbike/moto experience I would have hit that horse and it would have been a much different outcome.

But like everything truly exhilarating in LIFE, there is risk vs reward and to me the reward is worth it.
The places I go on my street bike are something I wouldn't do in a cage,
but yes you need to be wary of your surroundings.
reded
8/1/2020 4:40am
KennyT wrote:
I ride on average 400 miles a week on the coast/backroads. On the backroads I’m always fearful of varmits jumping out in front of me. Does...
Chance1216 wrote:
A lot of times, if you whistle when a deer is running, it’ll stop in its tracks.
Note to deer hunters...the secret is out, your troubles are over.
Chance1216
8/1/2020 8:33am Edited Date/Time 8/1/2020 8:34am
KennyT wrote:
Chance1216 wrote:
reded wrote:
It actually works on a lot of wildlife.
KennyT
Fantasy
280th
8/1/2020 9:07am
Chance1216 wrote:
reded wrote:
Chance1216 wrote:
So maybe those whistles they make for street bikes are a pretty good idea. I may order one, even if it’s 10% effective it’s better than nothing
8/1/2020 9:19am
I had an RC51 when I went to college in Cedar City, UT. I used to run the 14 up to Duck Creek and eat lunch, often. So much so I knew every pothole and corner perfectly, and due to elevation I could wring that bikes motor out and focus on getting the most out of the handling.

Well one day, I was hauling the mail through a long left hand sweeper. Real fast. Looking ahead there were 4-5 deer scattered on the road and on the shoulder. No way I was going to stop probably going 130 mph. I saw a line through them and went for it.

No shit they didn’t even move. i don’t even think one of them picked its head up as I sliced by feet from them.

Scared me so bad I had to stop, had the “sewing machine leg” and felt like I was going to puke for a 20 mins. Thank god those guys froze up.
Chance1216
8/1/2020 9:45am
reded wrote:
Chance1216 wrote:
KennyT wrote:
So maybe those whistles they make for street bikes are a pretty good idea. I may order one, even if it’s 10% effective it’s better than...
So maybe those whistles they make for street bikes are a pretty good idea. I may order one, even if it’s 10% effective it’s better than nothing
What if it stops in the road?
Chance1216
8/1/2020 9:56am Edited Date/Time 8/1/2020 10:00am
There’s a couple of videos on YouTube about the whistles. A person studying the hearing of animals said, they usually won’t hear it considering the distance a vehicle is covering and when they do, they’re in front of your vehicle. I tried uploading the video but, it wouldn’t for some reason.
omalley
8/1/2020 1:21pm
Had one run out on a track locally back in 02. Little bastard ran right out into the landing of a blind triple step-up. My dad watched from start to finish, but I couldn’t see him until I was airborne. Landed right between the front tire and pipe on my CR250. Woke up, looked around, and thought to myself “I think I hit a deer, but that can’t be...I’m on a track...” looked back and saw the dead deer laying there. Finally got rid of the pipe, I had it on my garage wall for a long time. Looked like an empty toothpaste tube, lol.
KennyT
Fantasy
280th
8/1/2020 1:51pm
Chance1216 wrote:
There’s a couple of videos on YouTube about the whistles. A person studying the hearing of animals said, they usually won’t hear it considering the distance...
There’s a couple of videos on YouTube about the whistles. A person studying the hearing of animals said, they usually won’t hear it considering the distance a vehicle is covering and when they do, they’re in front of your vehicle. I tried uploading the video but, it wouldn’t for some reason.
That sounds bad. More likely to have them stop n the road and stare at me before I destroy it and I’m flying through the air. I may go for slowing down when out on the country roads . Thanks for the info 👍
avidchimp
Fantasy
1182nd
8/1/2020 1:56pm
A lot of OTR guys in the north/plains states run deer whistles on their rigs. And deer guards. Not so much a problem here in good ole Los Angeles though. Just assholes who hate bikers.
Matt Fisher
Fantasy
1117th
8/1/2020 8:03pm
Chance1216 wrote:
KennyT wrote:
So maybe those whistles they make for street bikes are a pretty good idea. I may order one, even if it’s 10% effective it’s better than...
Chance1216 wrote:
You go around it, like a rock in the road.

Just don't put the whistles on backwards, that makes the deer chase you.... Tongue
KennyT
Fantasy
280th
8/1/2020 8:58pm
KennyT wrote:
Chance1216 wrote:
You go around it, like a rock in the road.

Just don't put the whistles on backwards, that makes the deer chase you.... Tongue
The thought of a deer running after me makes me laugh 😂
8/2/2020 5:37pm
Deer are what I'm most paranoid about riding on the road. I mostly stick to back roads with very minimal traffic so cars aren't a big concern. I killed probably a 50lb dog about 2 months ago when me and two friends went out. This family was out playing with their dog in the yard when at the last second it decided to dart out onto the road towards me. I knew not to touch the brakes and just braced for impact. I was going about 45mph. The dog hit the engine guard/crash bar on my Harley and bent it to where it almost hits the fork cover and partially ripped the tab off the frame the top bolt mounts to. I felt terrible watching this family cry over their dog I destroyed, but I was just glad that me or my friends didn't get hurt. I hit my first ever deer in my truck last winter which basically totalled it. I couldn't imagine hitting a deer on a bike, that scares me the most.
8/4/2020 10:58am
Early Saturday morning (12:45-1:00am) my brother followed one of my nephews friends home on his quad so the kid had some headlights to see what was in front of him (kid was on a dirtbike and lived on the road behind them). After dropping the kid off my brother turned around and was on his way home. Said he was doing roughly 50mph and this doe decided to try and play frogger. My brother said the only thing he had time to do was say “I’m gonna die”. She came out head on and he smoked her. Not a scratch on him and not a scratch on the quad. Only thing he’s noticed is that he hit the deer so hard it switched everything on the quad to read in metric lmao. Funny now but could have been way more serious. Some of your guys stories are incredible! Side note she is now in the freezer and did not go to waste!
JPT
8/4/2020 11:31am
I don't ride my street bike at night, mostly because of the deer issue. Even in town they're everywhere. Have had multiple close calls in the car and one ran into the side of my wife's car one night last year.
JPT
8/4/2020 11:56am
Deer are what I'm most paranoid about riding on the road. I mostly stick to back roads with very minimal traffic so cars aren't a big...
Deer are what I'm most paranoid about riding on the road. I mostly stick to back roads with very minimal traffic so cars aren't a big concern. I killed probably a 50lb dog about 2 months ago when me and two friends went out. This family was out playing with their dog in the yard when at the last second it decided to dart out onto the road towards me. I knew not to touch the brakes and just braced for impact. I was going about 45mph. The dog hit the engine guard/crash bar on my Harley and bent it to where it almost hits the fork cover and partially ripped the tab off the frame the top bolt mounts to. I felt terrible watching this family cry over their dog I destroyed, but I was just glad that me or my friends didn't get hurt. I hit my first ever deer in my truck last winter which basically totalled it. I couldn't imagine hitting a deer on a bike, that scares me the most.
I do a lot of back highway riding too. But it's got it's own dangers as you found out. Couple weeks ago I was cruising about 60 and was coming up on a farm. Saw someone on a riding mower on the left mowing the ditch. Something just told me to watch him. I slowed up some and just then he turned right and came across both lanes with out even a glance over his shoulder. I came to a complete stop before he even saw me.
blusmbl
8/4/2020 5:33pm
KennyT wrote:
That sounds bad. More likely to have them stop n the road and stare at me before I destroy it and I’m flying through the air...
That sounds bad. More likely to have them stop n the road and stare at me before I destroy it and I’m flying through the air. I may go for slowing down when out on the country roads . Thanks for the info 👍
20 years ago I was living in Milwaukee. I worked at an auto parts warehouse and every night we loaded up medium duty cabover style trucks with parts that would get delivered all over northern and western Wisconsin. The trucks would be gone from 8pm - 4am most days. They, as you'd expect, had all kinds of deer encounters. We tried the whistles on one of the trucks and the driver said from his experience it just made the situation worse, he hit more deer with the whistles on vs. off. It wasn't a scientific test by any means but at least for that route they didn't help at all.

Another random story, a friend of mine was doing a cross country motorcycle trip on a Honda VFR, he hit a deer at twilight in the middle of Colorado. Totalled the bike, cracked a couple ribs. He was running his gopro and watching the video there was literally nothing he could've done to avoid it besides not ride on the road in the first place. It jumped out of the treeline from nowhere and it was completely unavoidable. It certainly makes me more cautious at night.
str8line
8/4/2020 7:21pm
Early Saturday morning (12:45-1:00am) my brother followed one of my nephews friends home on his quad so the kid had some headlights to see what was...
Early Saturday morning (12:45-1:00am) my brother followed one of my nephews friends home on his quad so the kid had some headlights to see what was in front of him (kid was on a dirtbike and lived on the road behind them). After dropping the kid off my brother turned around and was on his way home. Said he was doing roughly 50mph and this doe decided to try and play frogger. My brother said the only thing he had time to do was say “I’m gonna die”. She came out head on and he smoked her. Not a scratch on him and not a scratch on the quad. Only thing he’s noticed is that he hit the deer so hard it switched everything on the quad to read in metric lmao. Funny now but could have been way more serious. Some of your guys stories are incredible! Side note she is now in the freezer and did not go to waste!
Crazy!

Post a reply to: Street bike deer strike

The Latest