Steet Bike gas tank repair(LARGE dent)

danman
Edited Date/Time 7/28/2015 8:37am
I am wondering if anyone knows of a place that can fix a LARGE dent from a street bike tank. This is the result of my son taking the scenic route off the road and the bike flipping. A new tank is in the area of $700-800 for a pre-painted tank and I'm wondering if it can be fixed and re-painted for less than that?
|
newmann
7/27/2015 7:29am
Got a photo?

Depending on the size and location of the dent, three stage candy colors/two tone combinations, required decals and striping, cost of materials....you can easily exceed $500.00 to repair a tank. Ordering motorcycle matched colors from Color-Rite gets real expensive real quick.
danman
7/27/2015 10:30am
I don't have a photo right now, but can post one later. The damage is pretty bad on top/right side. It's probably cheaper to just buy a new one.
XXVoid MainXX
7/27/2015 11:48am Edited Date/Time 7/27/2015 12:14pm
What's the make/model/year of the bike? If you keep an eye on Ebay usually one pops up for a really good price, maybe slightly damaged but much easier to fix with a little filler and repaint. Also, you can get much cheaper paint than Color-Rite. I actually used Sherwin Williams on my last set of race fairings with perfect color match to my tank. I always used Dupont Chromabase before that but the Sherwin Williams is much cheaper:

http://www.sherwin-automotive.com/

The bike in my avatar was all Dupont. My new bike is Sherwin Williams (tank is factory, everything else Sherwin Williams):

I did get a tank off of Ebay for one of my other bikes because I wanted to leave it blue when set up for the street and green when set up for the track. I got this tank off Ebay for I think 200 bucks:

Filled in the dent and painted it (that one was with the Dupont) and it looked like a factory tank:

danman
7/28/2015 8:37am
Wow Void, those look nice.
I got busy fishing last night and forgot to take a pic.
The bike is an 06 Suzuki SV650. I've been watching Ebay and there was a nice one a while back, but I passed because he wasn't ready to replace it. Now, he wants to sell it to upgrade to a KTM Super Duke.....of course there isn't a nice one out there now. He'll have to wait, or suck it up and spend the extra $.

Post a reply to: Steet Bike gas tank repair(LARGE dent)

The Latest