State Fair Time

Related:
Create New Tag

9/7/2018 6:12 PM

I take my Grandaughter every year. The Kansas state fair is in Hutchinson. Not the biggest but I've been to OKC, Tulsa, Texas, Iowa, Arkansas...most of the plains/midwest fairs and this is the cleanest/best organised I've seen. Probably the widest variety of critters any where. The draught horse pulling contest is just spellbinding. Those big Belgians and Clydes ass hunkered down...I swear you can hear their heart beats from 6 foot away. All the new gadgets and gizmos to marvel/laugh at. A years supply of free Chevy t-shirts, pencils, and yardsticks. A bucket of fried cheese curds and ribeyes on a stick. A couple of politicians telling lies, leather belts that say "that horse is hung like ME". Little kids sleeping in a pile of calves. Toothless carnies. The Beach Boys.

Tell me there's a better waste of a day and money. Any other fair fans around here?

|

If it ain't yer's don't take it, If it ain't the truth dont say it, If it ain't right don't do it...Marcus Aurelius

9/7/2018 8:01 PM

Sounds like good times. I have a house rented in the next month out in Fredericksburg/ Texas Hill Country. Lots of beer, vodka, bourbon and wine going on out there these days. Octoberfest will be in full swing.

|

9/7/2018 11:07 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/7/2018 11:14 PM

Our local fair takes place in early August. Grew up going there every summer before school would start up. Unfortunately I haven't been back there since my injury.

It's been running and going strong since 1945.

Back in 1995 on the 50th anniversary of the fair there was a world record broken. Maybe some of you have heard of it. Navan Fair's Fifty Horse Hitch. A local resident pulled a wagon with 50 Clydesdale horses for a distance of 3.5km/2.17 miles.

To commemorate the historic event the town put up a life size memorial statue.

Wagon that was used.
Photo

Memorial statue
Photo

Was able to find a clip of the event.

?start=760
|

"Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower."

9/8/2018 5:08 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/8/2018 5:11 AM

Best county fair I've been to hands down is the Nevada County Fair in Grass Valley, Ca. Small in size but every thing a county fair should be. Set amongst towering 200yr+ old pines it's just perfect.
Add to that all of the quilting, jams and jellies, hay bucking contests ...
I do miss that fair.

Here's something ... you know it's a great fair when you hear how far away people travel to attend... we're talking hours and hours of a drive to get there.

|

9/8/2018 5:18 AM

-MAVERICK- wrote:

Our local fair takes place in early August. Grew up going there every summer before school would start up. Unfortunately I ...more

That's a lot of power to try and control. The big boys aren't like an average horse. When they decide to get onery...there's not much you can do about it. They know how big/strong they are.

|

If it ain't yer's don't take it, If it ain't the truth dont say it, If it ain't right don't do it...Marcus Aurelius

9/8/2018 7:54 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/8/2018 7:56 AM

The Minnesota State Fair is awesome. It is worth traveling to just for that. The Utah fair, where I live now, sucks by comparison.

|

No Signature.

9/8/2018 9:02 AM

KMC440 wrote:

Best county fair I've been to hands down is the Nevada County Fair in Grass Valley, Ca. Small in size but every thing a county ...more

I have been to the Nevada County Fair the last two years. Good times. We are actually headed to the Gold Country Fair in Auburn tomorrow. That's a good one too.

|

It's impossible for a corporation or government to love you or care about you.

9/8/2018 12:39 PM

Was wondering if you were going to chime in ... swing by the football/track field at Placer high for me and curse out Coach Hyatt for me. wink
... one more time laughing

|