Starting a business is hard.....

WileCyot
Edited Date/Time 12/14/2015 6:15pm
Well, I got everything set up to start selling moto parts, accessories, etc and frankly getting business my way is beyond difficult. I've reached out to everyone I know and they'll buy from me but they don't drop thousands monthly on parts. I need more people. I can beat most places on pricing from what I've seen but I still need to broaden my audience.

Anyone any good at website development?
|
Dtat720
11/16/2015 9:05am Edited Date/Time 11/16/2015 9:07am
If you have a few hours and a couple hundred bucks, Concrete5.org is a VERY user friendly website template and the ecommerce store software is extremely easy to set up.

You can have a webstore up and running in a day.

Whatever you do, stay far far away from godaddy for hosting. They are horrible for support. I have always used dreamhost and have never had an issue with them. In 7 years, dreamhost has been spotless with hosting.

Concrete5 itself is free, the add ons cost. Ecommerce is like $130 i think. Maybe less, but it is well worth it. Very, very easy to set up. Even for novice page builders. Its truly a plug and play style.
tcannon521
Fantasy
1398th
11/16/2015 7:09pm
Unfortunately you can't make a living selling mx parts. You need to really focus on the side by side market if you want to even have a chance of making money.
11/17/2015 11:41am Edited Date/Time 11/17/2015 11:45am
Side by sides are going to be like the PWC craze. Give it a few years, the fad will pass.

Cover it all. Side by sides, bikes, PWC has gone soft, even here in Florida. The only ones buying PWC stuff in any quantities are the rental outfits.

If you are in a fairly populated suburban area, get into services as well.

Tire changes, fork seals, chain and sprockets, make runs, along with the net biz, will tie it together a bit more, financially.
whyZ
11/17/2015 12:11pm
I agree, the service side is how you need to start and get known for being a reliable, reputable and knowledgeable business man. Just a couple weeks ago I was thinking how much I would enjoy someone coming over to my house and winterizing my jet ski's. With business, it all comes down to one question. What do you have more of, time or money?

The Shop

dsmith
Fantasy
1470th
11/17/2015 12:17pm
repairs and selling used bikes will make you profit......
11/17/2015 4:50pm Edited Date/Time 11/17/2015 5:04pm
dsmith wrote:
True words. Check with any and all surrounding dealers for abandoned bikes brought in for service, and never repaired or reclaimed by the owners. After 90 days, and a certified letter sent to the owner, if no response, the bike becomes the property of said dealership.

Have purchased at least 25 bikes over the last few years in this manner. Some were very simple fixes. Usually paid the dealers estimate fee for them, sometimes less.

Way better opportunity of making a buck on these than scouring hours of Creepslist ads or other classifieds.

The only problem is, there is a finite amount of these bikes out there. I have completely depleted one of my most reasonable dealerships of everything possible, as far as these types of bikes.

Also , if you are in good with a dealer, leave your contact info with the sales manager. Many times people will be looking to sell a bike, parts , etc, that the dealer is just not interested in. If you happen to stop in the dealer, or get a call on something from them, check it out.

Recently followed up on a lead from my dealer friend. Bought a disassembled 91 RM250, about $300 in new, aftermarket Kawasaki MX parts, a set of oxy / acetylene torches, parts washer, a few KX take off pipes, tons of good used plastic.

Gave the guy a $100 for all of it. It was a full truckload of shit. I put it on Creepslist, and made about $400 off a $100 investment in about 3-4 days.
11/17/2015 5:16pm Edited Date/Time 11/17/2015 6:13pm
Gave $100 for this from my dealer's service dept. Dead battery. Found two decent tires to slap on it. Had about $225 in it. Let it go for $500. The kids bikes sell fast. The total amounts invested in them include the purchase price of the bike (s).
If you are set up with T/R , Parts Unlimited, WPS, your parts investment tab on a fixer upper, used bike will be much less. I paid cost plus 10% on all my parts . Did your P/U rep treat you right, or stick you with the 5 or 10K minimum start up order ?

Bought this for $120 . Tank was split. Dealer had installed a new stator, and it was never picked up. Carb clean, used tank, and a little freshen up. Had about $250 in it. Sold it for $575.

Not a ton of money made, but you do a handful or so of them a month, and you can pocket an easy grand.

Just try to develop an eye for things, so you don't bring home a money pit, loser. Like this one. Barely broke even on it after all was said and done. Motor was toast, and KTM parts are pricey, even for the 50.

11/17/2015 5:25pm Edited Date/Time 11/17/2015 5:41pm
Paid $120. Had about $240 in it. Sold for $575. Got to hustle, and keep your eyes open.

Harley tire changes pay well also. Ever rolled into an HD shop and got a quote for a tire change and balance ?

Not too hard, and it pays well, if you are into doing it. Although a tire machine and balancer will take a few changes to pay for them selves. Again, look for good ,used equipment for the shop.

Motorcycle business is a tough lick these days. I mainly just do it for fun, and a little extra cash ,to keep my hands off the weekly paycheck.

In talking with my favorite dealer friend, he will always ask if I made any money off the last bike I had bought from him. Sometimes, he looks surprised at what I could get from this one or that one.

Never forget him saying, " Hell, these days if you break even on something, you are doing good".
Not real encouraging, I know.

11/17/2015 5:53pm
Gave $50 for this turd. Had about $230 in it. Let it go for $475.

Gave $100 for this one. Had about $175 in it. It brought $400. Check out the custom super knob tire.

MR. X
11/17/2015 6:09pm
My buddy is an engineer by day and at night he fixes/rebuilds mostly big red 3 wheelers , he has done atvs and dirtbikes but he keeps track of every detail as far as money spent and found that he makes the most off doing the utility 3 wheelers . He can have about 700-800 total into a big red and sell it to an ice fisherman or hunter for 1500 . He should me his stock over the weekend , really a weird thing to see 15 big red 3 wheelers lined up in a row.
tcannon521
Fantasy
1398th
11/17/2015 8:37pm
Side by sides are going to be like the PWC craze. Give it a few years, the fad will pass. Cover it all. Side by sides...
Side by sides are going to be like the PWC craze. Give it a few years, the fad will pass.

Cover it all. Side by sides, bikes, PWC has gone soft, even here in Florida. The only ones buying PWC stuff in any quantities are the rental outfits.

If you are in a fairly populated suburban area, get into services as well.

Tire changes, fork seals, chain and sprockets, make runs, along with the net biz, will tie it together a bit more, financially.
I didn't say retire off side by sides... Everything has a cycle I understand this but while the "fad" is hot reap the benefits.

A successful business is one that isn't afraid to evolve and change to meet the specific needs of its clients or profit centers.
tcannon521
Fantasy
1398th
11/17/2015 8:48pm
dsmith wrote:
I always chuckle when I see this. I've been in the Powersports industry for almost 18 years. I would bet there isn't 10% of the franchise dealers in the country making profit on service. If you cost average out your service department employees, rent, electricity, insurance, phone, Internet and all other expenses it takes a lot of wrench turning to get close to breaking even. Sure if you're doing shadetree basic stuff yourself you'll generate some cash flow but you have to ask yourself, could you make more selling parts, accessories or something else with your time spent turning wrenches?

At the franchise dealership level service is a necessary evil. You have to pay great money to hire quality technicians and then you have customers complain when the labor rate is 80-120 per hour. The flip side is they will also complain if you charge 40 per hour and they have issues with their service visit.
tcannon521
Fantasy
1398th
11/17/2015 8:52pm
Gave $100 for this from my dealer's service dept. Dead battery. Found two decent tires to slap on it. Had about $225 in it. Let it...
Gave $100 for this from my dealer's service dept. Dead battery. Found two decent tires to slap on it. Had about $225 in it. Let it go for $500. The kids bikes sell fast. The total amounts invested in them include the purchase price of the bike (s).
If you are set up with T/R , Parts Unlimited, WPS, your parts investment tab on a fixer upper, used bike will be much less. I paid cost plus 10% on all my parts . Did your P/U rep treat you right, or stick you with the 5 or 10K minimum start up order ?

Bought this for $120 . Tank was split. Dealer had installed a new stator, and it was never picked up. Carb clean, used tank, and a little freshen up. Had about $250 in it. Sold it for $575.

Not a ton of money made, but you do a handful or so of them a month, and you can pocket an easy grand.

Just try to develop an eye for things, so you don't bring home a money pit, loser. Like this one. Barely broke even on it after all was said and done. Motor was toast, and KTM parts are pricey, even for the 50.

Nice refurbish jobs!! I would hold onto that stuff as it should bring a little more money around Christmas if you could.
h&m_cycle
11/17/2015 11:17pm
whyZ wrote:
I agree, the service side is how you need to start and get known for being a reliable, reputable and knowledgeable business man. Just a couple...
I agree, the service side is how you need to start and get known for being a reliable, reputable and knowledgeable business man. Just a couple weeks ago I was thinking how much I would enjoy someone coming over to my house and winterizing my jet ski's. With business, it all comes down to one question. What do you have more of, time or money?
Makes sense... especially your last line above...

http://www.entrepreneur.com/article/29884
UpTiTe
Fantasy
4109th
11/18/2015 8:00am
A friend of mine own an accessory shop, he started it around 1988. His biggest asset is the shoparea, he got the shop rolling by helping people for free with their motorcycles so they would buy the parts in assessories from him and now his shop does more business than the actual Parts in accessory section of the store.

He says that the shop area is what helped him survive the bad times.
12/11/2015 4:30pm Edited Date/Time 12/11/2015 4:32pm
the industry is on the decline as alot of americans are going 3rd world status

the buying power isnt there

Im not riding at the moment but ill make you a deal...let me help you with yourr reporting/data analysis needs and cut me a 10% discount on everything for a year or two.

im good with excel/access and am familiar with marketing, statistics,etc

motogrady
12/11/2015 7:07pm

I know a guy, makes enough selling used parts off Junkers and fixing dirt bikes, to buy a new, modest house
in the Baltimore area.
His model, every guy that buys anything spends at least 50 bucks.
He takes off Tuesday.
Saturday, Sunday, he's open, fixing flats, selling spark plugs.
Dirt bikes, street bikes, 4wheelers, whatever brings the coin.
After 15 years of it, he hates it.
But, he answers to no man, and lives in a house paid for directly from his craft.

Here in WV, Outlaw Motorsports, in Morgantown is killing it.
Guy subs all his service work out to backyard mechanics, sits behind a counter and sells the hell out of
4 wheelers and dirt bike parts all day long.
Sponsors a few events, actually mixes with the masses, he's making it.

To make it purely off a phone, computer and the Fed Ex man, tough deal.
Seems to me, those guys, Rocky Mountain Motorsports, Dennis Kirk and the like, takes years of advertising ,
selling for just about nothing, watching the pennies...........I dunno, would drive one to drink.
Yeah, a web site would help, but that takes time and money also, plus, going that route you need to get the word out, to the masses. This is where the annoying banners on the side of tracks come in, the ads that flash in your face
when you're just looking for results, the stickers on a guys bike at a National.
Sounds easy...........
lostboy819
Fantasy
1342nd
12/11/2015 8:58pm
WileCyot wrote:
Well, I got everything set up to start selling moto parts, accessories, etc and frankly getting business my way is beyond difficult. I've reached out to...
Well, I got everything set up to start selling moto parts, accessories, etc and frankly getting business my way is beyond difficult. I've reached out to everyone I know and they'll buy from me but they don't drop thousands monthly on parts. I need more people. I can beat most places on pricing from what I've seen but I still need to broaden my audience.

I dont know why you would even try to make a living selling Moto parts and accessories without studying the market first, sounds more like a expensive lesson in the making.
lumpy790
12/14/2015 12:30pm
motogrady wrote:
I know a guy, makes enough selling used parts off Junkers and fixing dirt bikes, to buy a new, modest house in the Baltimore area. His...

I know a guy, makes enough selling used parts off Junkers and fixing dirt bikes, to buy a new, modest house
in the Baltimore area.
His model, every guy that buys anything spends at least 50 bucks.
He takes off Tuesday.
Saturday, Sunday, he's open, fixing flats, selling spark plugs.
Dirt bikes, street bikes, 4wheelers, whatever brings the coin.
After 15 years of it, he hates it.
But, he answers to no man, and lives in a house paid for directly from his craft.

Here in WV, Outlaw Motorsports, in Morgantown is killing it.
Guy subs all his service work out to backyard mechanics, sits behind a counter and sells the hell out of
4 wheelers and dirt bike parts all day long.
Sponsors a few events, actually mixes with the masses, he's making it.

To make it purely off a phone, computer and the Fed Ex man, tough deal.
Seems to me, those guys, Rocky Mountain Motorsports, Dennis Kirk and the like, takes years of advertising ,
selling for just about nothing, watching the pennies...........I dunno, would drive one to drink.
Yeah, a web site would help, but that takes time and money also, plus, going that route you need to get the word out, to the masses. This is where the annoying banners on the side of tracks come in, the ads that flash in your face
when you're just looking for results, the stickers on a guys bike at a National.
Sounds easy...........
Is His name Billy?

MC Industry is doing very well this year. I have shops telling me they have not been this busy since the 70's!

A MC shop has several pieces to the pie. Service, sales, parts.

I was factory trained by Kawasaki and a service dep should be able to pay all of the other departments expenses including wages.
KTMShane699
12/14/2015 5:25pm
WileCyot wrote:
Well, I got everything set up to start selling moto parts, accessories, etc and frankly getting business my way is beyond difficult. I've reached out to...

You want to add value. Not sell by beating "most places on parts." Profit margins are slim as it is. Take overhead out and they get slimmer. If you're the cheapest place in town, they're thinner yet. You can count on a bump from friends, but those most likely aren't the guys paying retail for parts. A discount sales model will garner sales in the short term, but is purely unsustainable long term. By utilizing that model, you're simply training your customer to not allow you profit dollars. Train your customers that you provide a service and value and they'll be willing to pay for it.

Shane
lostboy819
Fantasy
1342nd
12/14/2015 6:15pm
WileCyot wrote:

Unless you have some serious capital to spend and compete with the likes of BTO, or Rocky mountain you are in trouble. Now with one day and 2 day shipping it would be hard to compete with these online retailers and most people who shop on line are looking for the lowest price, in stock and free shipping. Fine a different way to make money and keep MX a hobby.

Post a reply to: Starting a business is hard.....

The Latest