Spare tires, why even bother?

newmann
Edited Date/Time 12/19/2017 6:25pm
Dodge Caravan in for repairs and needed to put the spare on to move it around the shop. Got to looking and the damn thing is mounted between the front driver and passenger seat underneath the van. No way in hell could anyone get this thing out on the side of the road in the middle of the night. The tools provided to unscrew and lower it from inside the vehicle can’t be used because they are too big to use in the space provided. Who comes up with this stuff?

|
rongi#401
12/19/2017 3:07pm
i just drive on the rim. a $40 rim isnt worth your life to have some chick rear end you at 80 while texting
JAFO92
12/19/2017 3:53pm Edited Date/Time 12/19/2017 3:55pm
rongi#401 wrote:
i just drive on the rim. a $40 rim isnt worth your life to have some chick rear end you at 80 while texting
100% correct. Ive told my wife that if she gets a flat, call me and tell me where she is, drive on that flat tire with her hazard flashers going and drive that flat SOB as far as it takes to get off the road into a safe parking lot or large open area. To hell with the wheel or car. Ive had to pick up some horribly busted up bodies where a guy was trying to change a flat on the shoulder of a road and was hit by a car going full highway speed. One time in particular, he was changing a flat on a Suburban, his wife, kids and both inlaws were along on the trip and all witnessed him getting hit by a '76 Monte Carlo going about 80. Not only did they hafta see him get hit, they all got to run up to what was left of his body 30 yards down the road and stare at the macabre sight for 20+ minutes before an ambulance got there.

Never, ever, try to change a flat on a road.
Knoby
12/19/2017 4:02pm
Quality control at its finest. You don't know fear until you have changed the driver's rear tire on an interstate bridge at 7:50 a.m. Thankfully Highway assist pulled in behind me halfway through.
Ebs
12/19/2017 4:08pm
rongi#401 wrote:
This.

I've seen enough episodes of Cops to know you can go pretty far on a flat tire.

The Shop

ToolMaker
Fantasy
762nd
12/19/2017 4:32pm
newmann wrote:
Dodge Caravan in for repairs and needed to put the spare on to move it around the shop. Got to looking and the damn thing is...
Dodge Caravan in for repairs and needed to put the spare on to move it around the shop. Got to looking and the damn thing is mounted between the front driver and passenger seat underneath the van. No way in hell could anyone get this thing out on the side of the road in the middle of the night. The tools provided to unscrew and lower it from inside the vehicle can’t be used because they are too big to use in the space provided. Who comes up with this stuff?

Engineers I think, you know the ones that put rockets in the air. Much to smart for us common folk to understand. Wink
MR. X
12/19/2017 4:51pm
Yesterday i couldn't spell engineer ,today i are one.
newmann
12/19/2017 5:39pm
rongi#401 wrote:
JAFO92 wrote:
100% correct. Ive told my wife that if she gets a flat, call me and tell me where she is, drive on that flat tire with...
100% correct. Ive told my wife that if she gets a flat, call me and tell me where she is, drive on that flat tire with her hazard flashers going and drive that flat SOB as far as it takes to get off the road into a safe parking lot or large open area. To hell with the wheel or car. Ive had to pick up some horribly busted up bodies where a guy was trying to change a flat on the shoulder of a road and was hit by a car going full highway speed. One time in particular, he was changing a flat on a Suburban, his wife, kids and both inlaws were along on the trip and all witnessed him getting hit by a '76 Monte Carlo going about 80. Not only did they hafta see him get hit, they all got to run up to what was left of his body 30 yards down the road and stare at the macabre sight for 20+ minutes before an ambulance got there.

Tell your wife that a Camry will go until the tire is gone, the rim is gone and the brake rotor is worn down until there is just enough of a wheel left to hold the lug nuts to the hub. Of course somewhere in there the brake line gets torn loose and you end up 100 yards off the interstate in a rice field in Winnie Texas. Laughing Had that one towed in a couple years back.
quicken
12/19/2017 5:43pm Edited Date/Time 12/19/2017 5:45pm
Stow and go seating sells better than "easy access spare" on the showroom floor.

More of a marketing decision "want" that engineering had work with/around.
JAFO92
12/19/2017 6:02pm
newmann wrote:
Tell your wife that a Camry will go until the tire is gone, the rim is gone and the brake rotor is worn down until there...
Tell your wife that a Camry will go until the tire is gone, the rim is gone and the brake rotor is worn down until there is just enough of a wheel left to hold the lug nuts to the hub. Of course somewhere in there the brake line gets torn loose and you end up 100 yards off the interstate in a rice field in Winnie Texas. Laughing Had that one towed in a couple years back.
Thats good first hand info right there !! Grinning
AHRMA361
Fantasy
232nd
12/19/2017 6:25pm
JAFO92 wrote:
100% correct. Ive told my wife that if she gets a flat, call me and tell me where she is, drive on that flat tire with...

I was a fireman/EMT for awhile, saw this a few times unfortunately. This^^ is why I have told both my daughters to four-way-it to an exit, call the 1-800 number on the card I have put in their glovebox, and wait for the cavalry to arrive. One out of the two can probably follow those directions if it were ever to occur. That's why Dad worries.....

Post a reply to: Spare tires, why even bother?

The Latest