Solution to oil spill cleanup?

DoctorJD
Edited Date/Time 1/25/2012 3:14pm
I saw reference to this story earlier today. Apparently, Kevin Costner and his brother-in-law developed a machine (over the last 15 years) that will suck in oil-poluted water, seperate the two and pump out 99% pure water. He testified in a senate hearing that the machines are fully-functioning and that they were simply waiting on BP to come up with the money to buy them. The linked story doesn't indicate it, but the story I saw this morning said BP has ordered 3 of these machines already.

IMO, if these things really work, we don't need to wait on "BP to come up with the money." I don't think the taxpayers would have a problem owning a dozen of these things. Reportedly, they process about 250,000 gallons of water a day at a cost of $500,000 each.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/greenspace/2010/06/gulf-oil-spill-costn…
|
MX479Guy
6/13/2010 6:14pm
Maybe some of these super rich enviromaniacs will sep up and buy some of these machines.

Maybe Kanye will buy a few too
jmar
6/13/2010 6:26pm
MX479Guy wrote:
Maybe some of these super rich enviromaniacs will sep up and buy some of these machines.

Honestly Scott.

This isn't a class warfare thing. It's reality, and the gulf is a fucking mess. Forget about all the political bullshit, because there is nothing political about this oil spill.
plowboy
6/13/2010 7:13pm
Gotta agree to disagree with ya on this one Jim. The whole reason they were allowed to drill that deep without the technology to control any contingency was that the oil co's put money in the right political pockets and rules were overlooked and down right broken. Now if you mean the consequences are blind to class, well ok then.

The Shop

plowboy
6/13/2010 7:24pm
About this machine that's supposed to clean up this mess....if it only handles 250k gallons of water a day, I'd say we need about a million of em to get started. More ineffective still but more satisfying would be to make the oil company execs and crooked politicos eat the oil out of the gulf. Honestly, how do you put a price tag on such monumental destruction. Yeah, yeah, I ride bikes and drive cars so I'm just as guilty...NOT. We use oil because it is the most profitable way for the companies to make money. They aren't going to invest in alternative energy until they are MADE to do it. It ain't like they are holding down the price of gas to help the consumers...profit baby profit.
jmar
6/13/2010 7:25pm
The whole reason they were allowed to drill that deep without the technology to control any contingency was that the oil co's put money in the right political pockets and rules were overlooked and down right broken

No argument from me plowboy.

My point is that it's not a republican or democrat issue. Neither party cares about where their money comes from.
plowboy
6/13/2010 7:35pm
Gotcha Jim...we's agree. Also agree with the fart...I've always wondered but it seems to be propietary info...how much gas can be made from a barrel of say...Texas sweet? I've never seen that printed anywhere.
MX479Guy
6/13/2010 8:13pm
MX479Guy wrote:

jmar wrote:
Honestly Scott. This isn't a class warfare thing. It's reality, and the gulf is a fucking mess. Forget about all the political bullshit, because there is...
Honestly Scott.

This isn't a class warfare thing. It's reality, and the gulf is a fucking mess. Forget about all the political bullshit, because there is nothing political about this oil spill.
Nothing about politics...it has to do with the people in this country that flaunt millions around like it's candy.

Athletes, musicians, actors etc......I hope they step up to help this tragedy.

Post a reply to: Solution to oil spill cleanup?

The Latest