Social media, good or bad

Edited Date/Time 10/9/2021 6:21pm
Is social media good for society?
Poll

Do you think social Media is a good thing or a bad thing for society?

Choices
|
Last Braaap
Fantasy
4358th
9/23/2021 1:14am
On a scale of changing the world the social media rank really close to change.org petitions with a bit of narcism on the side. Tongue
early
Fantasy
2212th
9/23/2021 6:20am Edited Date/Time 9/23/2021 6:20am
On a scale of changing the world the social media rank really close to change.org petitions with a bit of narcism on the side. Tongue
Egypt and Libya would disagree
Zycki11
9/23/2021 8:11am
Only social media I run is vital and Twitter. Run Twitter for news to keep up with news on economics for stocks and moto people. Deleted Instagram, and Facebook.

The Shop

crowe660
Fantasy
4049th
9/23/2021 8:23am
Zycki11 wrote:
Only social media I run is vital and Twitter. Run Twitter for news to keep up with news on economics for stocks and moto people. Deleted...
Only social media I run is vital and Twitter. Run Twitter for news to keep up with news on economics for stocks and moto people. Deleted Instagram, and Facebook.
I did the same a couple years ago. Getting away from friends and family’s social media has been all the difference. Huge, HUGE time suck.
peelout
9/23/2021 8:53am Edited Date/Time 9/23/2021 8:58am
i voted bad thing and i'll explain.

not everyone uses social media for the same reasons. some people just want to follow along with family, friends, sports stars, actors, etc just to keep up with the cool shit.

but then you have the people that post how wonderful their lives are, how much they travel, how extravagant everything they touch is. then you see them in real life and realize quickly how they are just lying to themselves and to others just for some internet clout. it's sad. i personally know a couple that have been on the rocks for a long time, domestic issues inside the home, toxicity in public, etc. then you look at their IG and it's nothing but love and gratitude and telling everyone how amazing their lives are, how amazing and smart their little dipshit kids are, how financially great they are sitting.

it's bullshit.

my wife and i got rid of IG and FB about 8 months ago and it's been nice to not scroll for hours on end through all the bullshit.

however, i do miss watching some badass MTB and offroad riding snips every day.
Titan1
9/23/2021 9:11am
I voted bad as well...because it gave every moron a soap box...muddied the water on what is fact and truth (this is my biggest complain with social media...everyone is an expert, false information spreads like wildfire, and you can find tons of "info" to support whatever view point you want, whether its a true and correct view or not).

And otherwise the comparing that takes place on social media isn't good for mental health, when we compare our realities to everyone elses "best self" (even though it's not their REAL best self...it's all fake), a lot of people think they are losers and failing at life.
reded301
9/23/2021 9:19am
☝🏻What they said, among other reasons.
9/23/2021 10:24am
reded301 wrote:
Totally agree, another thing i see from social media is when i go out to eat or to socialize everyone is either on their phones the whole time or taking selfies to post for Facebook and not even paying attention to the concert or whatever they are at! I laugh when i see a couple at a nice restaurant and they both are on the phones not even talking to each other the whole time!
9/23/2021 10:55am Edited Date/Time 9/23/2021 11:00am
I lean towards bad also for several reasons.
It's also very addictive.
It seems more and more that there are people that just look for reasons to attack someone. It could be as simple as spelling something wrong and people pounce.
guess they call it cancel culture, the culture has definitely changed.

I haven't been on it but I guess there is a neighborhood one where people talk about their local area, talking about all kinds of stuff (all negative)
people didn't mow there lawn, left there garbage can out, and on and on.
Seems like a lot of people don't know how to communicate in person these days. I read a really good book written in 1937 in the book Napolian Hill says he met Andrew Carnegie and they sat down and talked for 3 hours the first time they met and I was thinking would that happen now? Do people even have 3 hour conversations anymore?

Chance1216
9/23/2021 11:27am Edited Date/Time 9/26/2021 9:20am
There’s good and bad with social media. Although Vital is a forum, we socialize. So, to me this is social media in a sense.
The benefit I’ve had here is, becoming friends with some great people. Many from other countries, all over the world and, even locally. Friends I’ve made during quarantine, others I’ve became friends with whom I share similar interests with. I’m grateful for them all.

The downside is, you don’t know who you’re dealing with in many cases. People come across as decent but, deep down , they’re just parasites looking to get over regardless how petty it is.

The benefit of this forum is, the moto community is a small world. Once your reputation falls into a negative category (@ the op), it doesn’t take much to let others know. If you’re a good guy others recognize it through the positive interactions over a period of time. If not, it’ll eventually come out.

Back to my regularly scheduled program.

Sully
9/23/2021 8:14pm
I use each platform differently: On Facebook, I keep up with family, and childhood friends/Navy buddies, and IG is mostly riders and military folks (Tim Kennedy, Mat Best, etc), so it's pretty chill. For me personally, though, Twitter is/was the worst. I followed a lot of political people, and I found myself getting more and more mad every time I logged on. I was literally seeing red over the opinion of someone I didn't even know, and thats just not healthy, so I pulled the eject handle and bailed out.
9/23/2021 9:18pm
reded301 wrote:
100%
Deja New
9/23/2021 11:44pm
I voted bad as it’s the only real honest option….
In theory it should be a haven an awesome thing, but human will be nasty creatures. Some of you know I phones tables and computers stuff for a living, those that don’t…. Now you do. My point being I see how it affects people everyday, the anxiety levels in some just never come down. Always worried what others may say or post or why nobody had messaged them…. I see you kids and teens that can’t even talk to me the speed through their parents or text me but face to face is a no no… hurts me to see where we are headed.
It’s also let dumb fucks find other dumb fucks and together they think they are right and have the right to treat everyone that doesn’t agree with them like dirt……
SKIDLID
Fantasy
761st
9/24/2021 2:27am
This is my only social media basically . No FB. twitter, snapchat for me.
FLmxer
Fantasy
898th
9/24/2021 6:05am Edited Date/Time 9/24/2021 6:05am
no FB for over 2 years. I love youtube for mx, live surf contests, fishing and informative info like fixing anything but overall Social media magnified the saying ,"Better to be thought of as an idiot then to open your mouth and prove it."
"Look at how dumb most people are and realize half of them are even dumber than that."
It gave us everything we want but took away so much that we need.
reded301
9/24/2021 8:52am Edited Date/Time 9/24/2021 8:53am
I found life to be easier before everyone became a “know-it-all” on all subjects due to the vast amount of information tossed about, no matter if it’s right, wrong or somewhere in between.
JN137
Fantasy
486th
9/24/2021 8:55am
For business? It is incredibly good. Growing a small business and getting in front of your customers has never been more accessible.

For the overall wellbeing of society? Absolutely terrible.
Shawn142
9/24/2021 10:02am
I've seen so many people throw away a career with some bad social media choices. I think the bad outweighs any good it provides.
9/24/2021 11:56am
Sully wrote:
I use each platform differently: On Facebook, I keep up with family, and childhood friends/Navy buddies, and IG is mostly riders and military folks (Tim Kennedy...
I use each platform differently: On Facebook, I keep up with family, and childhood friends/Navy buddies, and IG is mostly riders and military folks (Tim Kennedy, Mat Best, etc), so it's pretty chill. For me personally, though, Twitter is/was the worst. I followed a lot of political people, and I found myself getting more and more mad every time I logged on. I was literally seeing red over the opinion of someone I didn't even know, and thats just not healthy, so I pulled the eject handle and bailed out.
Twitter was one I just couldn't get into I never spent much time there. I deleted that one years ago. Instagram I don't like much either, I'm surprised it's one of the most popular. that one even more than the others makes it look like everyone has the perfect life.
My favorite is YouTube.
TXDirt
9/24/2021 1:49pm
Social media is the modern day version of cigarettes.
Dirtydeeds
Fantasy
2888th
9/24/2021 3:00pm
TXDirt wrote:
How do you quit?! Haha
crowe660
Fantasy
4049th
9/24/2021 3:48pm
TXDirt wrote:
Dirtydeeds wrote:
How do you quit?! Haha
The easiest way for me….Get a flip phone lol. I’ve thought of doing this, and it’s so pathetic to think that just getting a flip phone as being a way to challenge myself. It’s embarrassing when I get that message every Sunday saying “your daily screen time is up/down blahblah percent”.

This isn’t how life is meant to be lived.
peltier626
9/24/2021 4:07pm Edited Date/Time 9/26/2021 5:10am
crowe660 wrote:
The easiest way for me….Get a flip phone lol. I’ve thought of doing this, and it’s so pathetic to think that just getting a flip phone...
The easiest way for me….Get a flip phone lol. I’ve thought of doing this, and it’s so pathetic to think that just getting a flip phone as being a way to challenge myself. It’s embarrassing when I get that message every Sunday saying “your daily screen time is up/down blahblah percent”.

This isn’t how life is meant to be lived.
I am 39 and have yet to own a smart phone or have ever participated in FB, IG, Twitter or whatever else is out there. Very rewarding and enlightening from the outside in. Listening and observing the folks who over participate has led me to believe they have lost the ability to contemplate. Flip phone for me.
ns503
9/24/2021 4:28pm
It sucks.

Never realized before that there are really that many people out there that could be so proud to be complete and utter idiots.

Rather mind boggling, actually.
reded301
9/24/2021 9:19pm
TXDirt wrote:
Dirtydeeds wrote:
How do you quit?! Haha
Cold Turkey. I had FB at one time but didn’t pay much attention to it until one day I got raked over the coals by my wife for not wishing her Happy Birthday on FB. I deleted it in front of her and said some shit that at 40 I wasn’t old enough to hear.
Boomslang
Fantasy
548th
9/24/2021 11:29pm
Is social media good for society? [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2021/09/22/511250/s1200_Screenshot_20210823_090823_Facebook.jpg[/img]
Is social media good for society?
Its good within moderation, sadly I see to many kids constantly on their phones....my youngest daughter for example.

face biter
9/25/2021 6:18am
Titan1 wrote:
I voted bad as well...because it gave every moron a soap box...muddied the water on what is fact and truth (this is my biggest complain with...
I voted bad as well...because it gave every moron a soap box...muddied the water on what is fact and truth (this is my biggest complain with social media...everyone is an expert, false information spreads like wildfire, and you can find tons of "info" to support whatever view point you want, whether its a true and correct view or not).

And otherwise the comparing that takes place on social media isn't good for mental health, when we compare our realities to everyone elses "best self" (even though it's not their REAL best self...it's all fake), a lot of people think they are losers and failing at life.
I agree, and not only does it give people a soapbox, it also provides a megaphone.
vtec_
9/25/2021 9:50am
social media companies are the modern day phillips morris

what big tobacco did to our lungs is what social media is doing to our mental heath
G-man
9/25/2021 3:29pm
I also downvoted and truly believe life was much better before all this technology and social media. When I go places and I see people buried in their phones it just makes makes me wonder how do people communicate these days.

The only two media platforms I am on is vital and Facebook and I know Facebook can be the Anti-Christ amongst people but just as I do here I ignore the political and religious rants and fights as that is a no win situation.

I've only been on FB four years or so and as most of you know I'm a BIG TIME Animal lover Motorcycle enthusiast and also dig photography and history in that order.

Without FB I would NEVER have seen Animals I never knew about or their habitat as well as a LOT of hilarious pictures of pets. We can all use a laugh and there is not a day goes by without seeing something that makes me laugh. Laughing

I'm also on a SoCal historical page and the pictures and stories are incredible on what the West was like before it became over-congested.

The one thing I regret though is it can be addicting and I find myself spending too much time wasted on it.
Something I need to work on.
Oh and I have sold Motorcycles, vans etc on FB as I feel it's safer than Craigslist as you can see their profile.

But without FB I would never have seen stuff like this...

Post a reply to: Social media, good or bad

The Latest