So we got our first cows/ bull and new calf.

FLmxer
Fantasy
989th
1/26/2021 6:41am Edited Date/Time 4/27/2021 1:02pm
I close this week on 13 acres and while we were at the property with our realtor for the first time we were walking around and all of a sudden about 15 cows and bulls stood up out of the tall grass. We didn't even know they were in there as the owners live a few hours away and it was just us. We were a good ways from the fence separating the house and pasture. Thinking about the headline of the idiot family run down by bulls we slowly made our way back while they followed except a giant Braman bull who was the farthest away but seemed most interested and he b lined straight to us. We were safe behind the fence when they all came over and we hugged all over the bull but the rest stayed about 20 feet back. The bull was like a puppy dog andraised by 4H kids, I jokingly said the bull stays or no deal. Well I didn't even realize until 2 weeks in they actually wrote it in the contract as it was the only one they owned and the rest were just leasing pasture. Well they removed all the others and Bill our bull has been alone for a week. The neighboring 5 acres wasn't for sale but I made an offer they couldn't refuse so I close on that one the 29th and they left a dairy cow in there who sleeps next to the fence next to the bull so he is not completely alone. I am looking for a few heifers for him and want to name them Dow and Jonsey. I want to get the pasture in better shape for grazing. its a lot of weeds and hitch hiker like bushes. There is areas of good feed grass but I want to make it perfect for them. I could put them in the new 5 acres and weed and feed and till the pasture. Any tips on how I seed, feed and pesticide it to be safe for feeding? I see perfect fields on YouTube but not a lot of tips on pasture care.

|
SEEMEFIRST
1/26/2021 7:45am
Google fertilizing services near me.

We weed and feed our coastal pasture every year , and it makes a huge difference.

The stuff they use here is safe, but the guy will be able to tell you all about it.

It costs me about $600.00 for 15 acres.

Bovine are very social creatures, they need friends.
The thing is, you may have to keep the heifers separated from the bull until they are old enough to breed.
SEEMEFIRST
1/26/2021 7:47am
I don't know about Florida, but there specific times to fertilize here.

The Shop

Dirtydeeds
Fantasy
2866th
1/26/2021 7:59am
More importantly, whats the track layout gonna look like?!!
Falcon
Fantasy
765th
1/26/2021 8:17am
Moooo.
OG725
1/26/2021 10:03am
That's a good looking Brahmer, can I put the boots to him?
Robgvx
1/26/2021 1:18pm
Looks like a camel to me.
EngIceDave
1/26/2021 1:32pm
I know how to grow a nice Florida lawn, but not how to grow cow feed grass.

Like Seemefirst said, talk to the local weed and feed guy FOR FARMS, not Truly Nolen

There a local co-op or farm feed place nearby?

Pretend it's a bike shop and start hanging around asking questions
FLmxer
Fantasy
989th
1/26/2021 1:36pm
Ha yes excuse me my bull. The Grazon looks like the way to go. I left a message with a company that will amend the soil and do an initial treating until I get my new equipment. Tractor shopping is kind of fun. I am re-doing the front fence and entry and planting a wall of areca palm trees around the perimeter before I start the track. Out of sight, out of mind.
OG725
1/26/2021 1:40pm Edited Date/Time 1/26/2021 1:42pm
FLmxer wrote:
Ha yes excuse me my bull. The Grazon looks like the way to go. I left a message with a company that will amend the soil...
Ha yes excuse me my bull. The Grazon looks like the way to go. I left a message with a company that will amend the soil and do an initial treating until I get my new equipment. Tractor shopping is kind of fun. I am re-doing the front fence and entry and planting a wall of areca palm trees around the perimeter before I start the track. Out of sight, out of mind.
Get him some good, 12% sweet feed and some range cubes to supplement his protein. Brahman are "Heat Resistant", probably why they're so popular in Florida. The American Bucking Bull is a Brahman/Longhorn X, bred back a few hundred times.

Oh yeah and as sweet as he is, don't ever turn your back on him.

They are also good mowers. I was feeding over a ton of hay every two weeks. My place had a weed problem. Told the herd I wasn't getting them any more alfalfa until the weeds were cleaned up. Couple of days later it was spotless!
OG725
1/26/2021 1:45pm
Sorry, also they are herd animals, Bill needs a friend. He'll get very despondent without another bovine. From what you describe his mannerism, he was probably a "Bottle Baby". Meaning something happened to his Momma and he was hand fed by humans. We used to have this big ol' paint Bull named Baxter like that. He'd buck like a son of a gun, but once he was in the back pens you could scratch him and set your baby on his back.
OG725
1/26/2021 1:52pm
SEEMEFIRST wrote:
Google fertilizing services near me. We weed and feed our coastal pasture every year , and it makes a huge difference. The stuff they use here...
Google fertilizing services near me.

We weed and feed our coastal pasture every year , and it makes a huge difference.

The stuff they use here is safe, but the guy will be able to tell you all about it.

It costs me about $600.00 for 15 acres.

Bovine are very social creatures, they need friends.
The thing is, you may have to keep the heifers separated from the bull until they are old enough to breed.
You're not going to want to breed those heifers until they are a long two.
FLmxer
Fantasy
989th
1/26/2021 1:57pm
You are all welcome if its ever worth it but if nothing else monster snook, tarpon and bass a short golf cart away and my grill stays hot and drinks are cold. Hoping to build a house and barn right away. I had never considered it but a friend got a barndominium that is crazy nice and low maintenance. I just worry about hurricanes. We are having Morton building come and give us a bid on a few steel buildings/ barns and we think these barndominiums they build would be amazing. Here is one we really like

OG725
1/26/2021 2:02pm Edited Date/Time 1/26/2021 2:43pm
This guy was my pride and joy, Neon Ghost. Incredible Bucking Bull Blood Lines. His Dam came from Wofman and his Sire was Griz' Ghost.

FLmxer
Fantasy
989th
1/26/2021 2:05pm Edited Date/Time 1/26/2021 2:07pm
Honestly I don't really want to breed him but we were ok if it happens. I know they are heard animals and just want to give a great life. Is there a better option for friends for him like sterile animals or different types? Someone mentioned fixing him but I think no.
Chance1216
1/26/2021 2:07pm
FLmxer wrote:
You are all welcome if its ever worth it but if nothing else monster snook, tarpon and bass a short golf cart away and my grill...
You are all welcome if its ever worth it but if nothing else monster snook, tarpon and bass a short golf cart away and my grill stays hot and drinks are cold. Hoping to build a house and barn right away. I had never considered it but a friend got a barndominium that is crazy nice and low maintenance. I just worry about hurricanes. We are having Morton building come and give us a bid on a few steel buildings/ barns and we think these barndominiums they build would be amazing. Here is one we really like

Beautiful house Dave.
OG725
1/26/2021 2:08pm
FLmxer wrote:
Honestly I don't really want to breed him but we were ok if it happens. I know they are heard animals and just want to give...
Honestly I don't really want to breed him but we were ok if it happens. I know they are heard animals and just want to give a great life. Is there a better option for friends for him like sterile animals or different types? Someone mentioned fixing him but I think no.
He’s waaay to old to get cut. If you don’t be put females in with him, he’ll jump and tear down every fence you’ve got to get at cows.
FLmxer
Fantasy
989th
1/26/2021 2:09pm

OG725
1/26/2021 2:11pm
OG725 wrote:
That's a good looking Brahmer, can I put the boots to him?
Chance1216 wrote:
JAFO92 says you can come ride Hughie if, you can get on top of him. https://youtube.com/watch?v=_2BqNjaGuOo&feature=share
He probably would barely jump and kick. All bulls aren’t created equal. This guy is 2000 pounds and a half brother to Airtime. He knocked me unconscious and dislocated my femur out of my hip.

OG725
1/26/2021 2:13pm
FLmxer wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2021/01/26/475204/s1200_Screenshot_20210120_205028_Video_Player.jpg[/img]

You’re on it.
JustMX
1/26/2021 2:17pm
I would heed og's advice on bulls.

I don't know much about brahmas, but I know we had a Holstein that we would climb on and sit on, and then over night he turned mean.

You should always consider them dangerous.
FLmxer
Fantasy
989th
1/26/2021 2:20pm
OG725 wrote:
He’s waaay to old to get cut. If you don’t be put females in with him, he’ll jump and tear down every fence you’ve got to...
He’s waaay to old to get cut. If you don’t be put females in with him, he’ll jump and tear down every fence you’ve got to get at cows.
Yes I figured too old. I have a rancher down the road that has girls he sent a few videos of but are not socialized and we want some that are used to people. He was with a big group for the last year.

OG725
1/26/2021 2:24pm
OG725 wrote:
He’s waaay to old to get cut. If you don’t be put females in with him, he’ll jump and tear down every fence you’ve got to...
FLmxer wrote:
Yes I figured too old. I have a rancher down the road that has girls he sent a few videos of but are not socialized and...
Yes I figured too old. I have a rancher down the road that has girls he sent a few videos of but are not socialized and we want some that are used to people. He was with a big group for the last year.

The only way to get them "Socialized" as you call it, is to get them as baby calfs and bottle feed them. They'll eventually trust you to a point, because they know you bring the feed and water. But if somebody else comes along they'll go berserk. Basically, we are PREDATORS, our eyes are in the front, they are PREY, they're eyes are on the side. They know that, it's their instinct to get away from us.

Believe it or not, that big bull is more scared of me, then I am of him, he knows what I am. Everything he does is out of self-defense, he's trying to not get eaten.
XXVoid MainXX
1/26/2021 2:26pm
JustMX wrote:
I would heed og's advice on bulls. I don't know much about brahmas, but I know we had a Holstein that we would climb on and...

I don't know much about brahmas, but I know we had a Holstein that we would climb on and sit on, and then over night he turned mean.

I had the same experience with a Holstein. We had one named Ferdinand. I would run out silage from the silo and he would come over and start eating right next to me. I would always scratch behind his horn hump on his head and he seemed to like that. This went on for months but after a while he decided we needed to fight and he would scratch his hoof on the ground and make bull noises at me and shoot snot out of his nose. I was about 14 or 15 at the time and I told him, dude, don't do that shit, me and you are friends. Well, he kept doing it. So what do I do? That's right I go up to him and start kicking him in the had. He took it for a while, but apparently he got tired of that and brought that horn hump right up into the soft part of my belly under my rib cage and flipped me up high into the air. All I remember is seeing sky dirt sky dirt sky dirt then thud. Luckily he left it at that and didn't proceed to trample me. I pick myself up the ground, unable to suck in any air into my lungs whatsover and stagger into the barn where my dad is milking the cows and I had tears in my eyes but I couldn't speak because I couldn't suck in any air. He's like what happened, Ferdinand get you? I just shook my head and tried to get air. Well, later that day the vet came down and sewed old Ferdinand's eyelids shut. Supposedly he can still find food and pussy but it would keep him from doing it again. He got his eyes open again soon after so we ended up sending him to the sale barn. Good times on the farm.
OG725
1/26/2021 2:37pm
JustMX wrote:
I would heed og's advice on bulls. I don't know much about brahmas, but I know we had a Holstein that we would climb on and...

I had the same experience with a Holstein. We had one named Ferdinand. I would run out silage from the silo and he would come over...
I had the same experience with a Holstein. We had one named Ferdinand. I would run out silage from the silo and he would come over and start eating right next to me. I would always scratch behind his horn hump on his head and he seemed to like that. This went on for months but after a while he decided we needed to fight and he would scratch his hoof on the ground and make bull noises at me and shoot snot out of his nose. I was about 14 or 15 at the time and I told him, dude, don't do that shit, me and you are friends. Well, he kept doing it. So what do I do? That's right I go up to him and start kicking him in the had. He took it for a while, but apparently he got tired of that and brought that horn hump right up into the soft part of my belly under my rib cage and flipped me up high into the air. All I remember is seeing sky dirt sky dirt sky dirt then thud. Luckily he left it at that and didn't proceed to trample me. I pick myself up the ground, unable to suck in any air into my lungs whatsover and stagger into the barn where my dad is milking the cows and I had tears in my eyes but I couldn't speak because I couldn't suck in any air. He's like what happened, Ferdinand get you? I just shook my head and tried to get air. Well, later that day the vet came down and sewed old Ferdinand's eyelids shut. Supposedly he can still find food and pussy but it would keep him from doing it again. He got his eyes open again soon after so we ended up sending him to the sale barn. Good times on the farm.
And Holsteins are very good natured.

Anything with “Spots” be extremely wary of.

XXVoid MainXX
1/26/2021 3:14pm
JustMX wrote:

I had the same experience with a Holstein. We had one named Ferdinand. I would run out silage from the silo and he would come over...
OG725 wrote:
And Holsteins are very good natured. Anything with “Spots” be extremely wary of. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2021/01/26/475220/s1200_4F5512CC_4375_43AD_891C_AC33E4C9852E.jpg[/img]
And Holsteins are very good natured.

Anything with “Spots” be extremely wary of.

Ferdinand was good natured.... until he put his head up under my rib cage and flung me 37 feet into the air!

Post a reply to: So we got our first cows/ bull and new calf.

The Latest