So called classic movies everyone else in the world has seen except you.

XXVoid MainXX
5/19/2020 7:25am
I've seen many of the ones mentioned in here but of those, most I wish I hadn't.
indy_maico
5/19/2020 9:59am
-MAVERICK- wrote:
Casablanca
Lawrence of Arabia
If you watch Lawrence of Arabia now, and think about the fact that it all took place 100 years ago, you'll be amazed at how nothing has really changed in the Middle East. (And I suppose it's true for 1000 years ago as well!)

Watch it on Blu-Ray on a nice big screen TV. The visuals are stunning.
TXDirt
5/19/2020 10:05am
Deja New wrote:
Maybe but James Cameron and Roland Emmerich movies are all over the top and not my cup of tea. Much rather a movie like the Shawshank...
Maybe but James Cameron and Roland Emmerich movies are all over the top and not my cup of tea. Much rather a movie like the Shawshank redemption or the usual suspects that do not need visual effects to be great.
Lucky we are all different as the world would be ja boring place....
I don’t disagree with ya. I think there is a place for both Shawshank and Avatar and I enjoy both.

Though not a classic but a dang good movie is October Sky. I really enjoy that movie.
TXDirt
5/19/2020 10:06am
Silence of the Lambs

One of my all time favorite movies!

The Shop

-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
5/19/2020 10:44am
-MAVERICK- wrote:
Casablanca
Lawrence of Arabia
indy_maico wrote:
If you watch Lawrence of Arabia now, and think about the fact that it all took place 100 years ago, you'll be amazed at how nothing...
If you watch Lawrence of Arabia now, and think about the fact that it all took place 100 years ago, you'll be amazed at how nothing has really changed in the Middle East. (And I suppose it's true for 1000 years ago as well!)

I've only seen bits and pieces of it when it played on an old movies channel.

I didn't quite get why the screen went to intermission. It's not like I was at the movie theater.

Is that a common thing on old movies? I don't get why they wouldn't just take that out for home releases.
avidchimp
Fantasy
1182nd
5/19/2020 11:11am
-MAVERICK- wrote:
Casablanca
Lawrence of Arabia
indy_maico wrote:
If you watch Lawrence of Arabia now, and think about the fact that it all took place 100 years ago, you'll be amazed at how nothing...

-MAVERICK- wrote:
I've only seen bits and pieces of it when it played on an old movies channel. I didn't quite get why the screen went to intermission...

I didn't quite get why the screen went to intermission. It's not like I was at the movie theater.

Is that a common thing on old movies? I don't get why they wouldn't just take that out for home releases.
It's because it has an almost 4 hour run time, so the intermission has always been built in. I love that movie so much. Got to see it for the last time about 10 years ago in IMAX at the Cinerama Dome in Hollywood. That intermission is much needed. haha
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
5/19/2020 12:18pm
indy_maico wrote:

-MAVERICK- wrote:
I've only seen bits and pieces of it when it played on an old movies channel. I didn't quite get why the screen went to intermission...

avidchimp wrote:
It's because it has an almost 4 hour run time, so the intermission has always been built in. I love that movie so much. Got to...
It's because it has an almost 4 hour run time, so the intermission has always been built in. I love that movie so much. Got to see it for the last time about 10 years ago in IMAX at the Cinerama Dome in Hollywood. That intermission is much needed. haha
I knew it was a long movie, but I didn't think it was 4 hours long, so I guess the intermission makes sense.

That said, you can always press pause at home.
avidchimp
Fantasy
1182nd
5/19/2020 12:38pm
-MAVERICK- wrote:
I knew it was a long movie, but I didn't think it was 4 hours long, so I guess the intermission makes sense. That said, you...
I knew it was a long movie, but I didn't think it was 4 hours long, so I guess the intermission makes sense.

That said, you can always press pause at home.
In the old days, anything over 2 hours generally had an intermission. Theaters wanted guests to get up and use the restroom, get fresh cocktails and smokes, then back to the show.

But back then most of the studios were also their own distributers so they owned the venues and rights to show said films, so slamming as many showings as possible in a 97 theatre complex wasn't a thing. All the profits stayed 'in-house' so to speak. Movies were events you got dressed up for, took the entire family to, and you were surrounded by people with like interests.

I haven't been inside a theatre for years. Can't stand the fucking talking, people constantly on their phones, terrible customer service from the venue...
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
5/19/2020 1:10pm Edited Date/Time 5/19/2020 1:12pm
@avidchimp

I think the last movie I saw at the theater was The Expendables back in 2010. I hate going to the movies for the same reasons you listed. That and the never ending sounds of popcorn bags, lol.

Edit: I might have to go in November to see No Time To Die.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
5/19/2020 2:16pm
Not movies, but TV series.

Friends
The Big Bang Theory
The Sopranos
Deja New
5/19/2020 2:18pm
-MAVERICK- wrote:

Friends
The Big Bang Theory
The Sopranos
Seinfeld never seen more than a commercial....
Mucktub
5/19/2020 4:58pm
Never seen Godfather 2, 3 or Scarface. Not really a big fan of gangster movies. Should make some time to see them.

Fight Club, the Big Lebowski, Shawshank all in my list of greats.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
5/19/2020 5:25pm
-MAVERICK- wrote:

Friends
The Big Bang Theory
The Sopranos
Deja New wrote:
Yeah, I've never seen that show either. I just know it made Jerry Seinfeld a boat load of money.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
5/19/2020 5:37pm
Mucktub wrote:
Never seen Godfather 2, 3 or Scarface. Not really a big fan of gangster movies. Should make some time to see them. Fight Club, the Big...
Never seen Godfather 2, 3 or Scarface. Not really a big fan of gangster movies. Should make some time to see them.

Fight Club, the Big Lebowski, Shawshank all in my list of greats.
If you liked The Godfather, you'll like the second one.

Scarface is a cult classic. I enjoyed it. Still do.
Nairb#70
5/19/2020 5:46pm
Kind of the opposite but I saw The Presidents Analyst many years ago and thought it was the funniest movie ever. But I've never met anyone else who has seen it.
SKIDLID
Fantasy
761st
5/19/2020 6:36pm
I love old movies , I got TCM channel just for that reason .
JeremyK
5/19/2020 6:39pm
Never watched Braveheart
JustMX
5/20/2020 6:10am
None of

Harry Potter
Fast and furious
Saw franchise
Only the first ironman, none of the other dc/marvel stuff
Could care less about any newer paranormal/horror/most alien stuff.
Never saw any of the twilight stuff
Only saw the original trilogy of star wars

I did go see avatar. I was seeing a woman that was a little on the liberal side and she raved about how it was basically a documentary of what we are doing to our world. Still think that was, a bit of a stretch, but hey, freaky in the head, ..........
kongols
5/20/2020 6:19am
-MAVERICK- wrote:

Friends
The Big Bang Theory
The Sopranos
Deja New wrote:
-MAVERICK- wrote:
Yeah, I've never seen that show either. I just know it made Jerry Seinfeld a boat load of money.
Oh man, you`re missing out a lot.

JeremyK
5/20/2020 6:44am
JeremyK wrote:
Never watched Braveheart
Barrett57 wrote:
If you like history it's pretty much unbearable.
Im most intrigued by WW2 history era / industrial revolution
neverwas
Fantasy
784th
5/20/2020 3:42pm
avidchimp wrote:
I know a lot of people haven't seen "Falling Down" with Michael Douglas, but that movie is another classic.
Talk about a melt down!
avidchimp
Fantasy
1182nd
5/20/2020 5:43pm
avidchimp wrote:
I know a lot of people haven't seen "Falling Down" with Michael Douglas, but that movie is another classic.
neverwas wrote:
Talk about a melt down!
It's starting to happen in real time now. I got to listen to Joel Schumacher talk about it in our backyard with my Dad and their friends when he was making it. He said it was going to more relevant to society in the 2000's than ever before. He was a bit late, but he knew what was coming.
SKIDLID
Fantasy
761st
5/21/2020 5:57am Edited Date/Time 5/21/2020 5:58am
Deja New wrote:
-MAVERICK- wrote:
kongols wrote:
Oh man, you`re missing out a lot. [img]https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51vWHJTUHPL._AC_.jpg[/img]
Oh man, you`re missing out a lot.

Funny story about this picture. When this was still new my cousin had a commercial marketing this on TV. You could order one of this pictures for your home. I can remember watching with him during a Thanksgiving Day.
5/21/2020 8:12am
DoctorJD wrote:
Gone With the Wind. This is noteworthy because I'm from the south.

I finally caught it about 2 months back, and I have to say I actually quite enjoyed it. Some of the sets are incredible and almost none of the characters are one dimensional. Not a movie you could make today though... Also of note is that crazily one of the adult actors in the movie (Olivia de Havilland) is still alive.
kongols
5/21/2020 9:41am
SKIDLID wrote:
Funny story about this picture. When this was still new my cousin had a commercial marketing this on TV. You could order one of this pictures...
Funny story about this picture. When this was still new my cousin had a commercial marketing this on TV. You could order one of this pictures for your home. I can remember watching with him during a Thanksgiving Day.
When I was living in Nantucket, there was a bunch of construction guys renting a house. They put a huge, probably 3x5 feet , poster made painting over fireplace.
5/21/2020 11:31am
MudPup545 wrote:
The Godfather
Dumb and Dumber
“But what if he would have shot you in the face?”

Come on man Dumb and Dumber (the first one) doesn’t disappoint.
5/21/2020 1:22pm Edited Date/Time 5/21/2020 1:28pm
TXDirt wrote:
Silence of the Lambs

One of my all time favorite movies!
“Well Clarice - have the lambs stopped screaming?”

That movie is top 5 for me.

Edited for accuracy(I think)
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
5/21/2020 2:43pm
MudPup545 wrote:
The Godfather
Dumb and Dumber
“But what if he would have shot you in the face?”

Come on man Dumb and Dumber (the first one) doesn’t disappoint.
One of my favorite movies.

Harry: What's in the briefcase?

Lloyd: Man, I would have to be a real lowlife to go rooting around in someone else's private property.

Harry: Is it locked?

Lloyd: Yeah. Really well. (While slamming it on the table a few times).

GrinningGrinningGrinning

So many great parts.

Harry: I can't believe we drove around all day, and there's not a single job in this town. There is nothing, nada, zip!

Lloyd: Yeah! Unless you wanna work forty hours a week!
SKIDLID
Fantasy
761st
5/21/2020 3:19pm Edited Date/Time 5/21/2020 6:11pm

Post a reply to: So called classic movies everyone else in the world has seen except you.

The Latest