Snow shoe ski resort

shirey
Fantasy
4001st
1/23/2019 9:42pm Edited Date/Time 1/24/2019 4:18am
Me and my buddy are looking at taking a ski trip March 18-22. Anybody have a recommendation for the cheapest lodging possible. Also will there even be enough snow for it to be worth while? We are two broke college guys from Alabama and don’t have too much of an idea about how to go about this. Two bedrooms would be ideal but I know that will be tough to do and keep cost down. Thanks
|
1/24/2019 8:17pm
Cheapest lodging would be a van, a matress pad and a 0 degree bag. The time of the year could be a little late, Snowshoe has the elevation for good snow amounts but the temps could be too high making for lousy conditions, unless you like spring skiing. Another option would be to venture farther north to Vermont, New Hampshire or even Maine. But is quite a longer haul, 8-10 hrs more.
FlickitFlat
Fantasy
595th
1/25/2019 6:38am
I live about an hour or so from Snowshoe and a few other resorts. I hardly ever go to Snowshoe to ski because it is expensive and the slopes are narrow. I never stay anymore. I went there one time, had a free place to stay and still spent $350 just eating for 3 days for 2 people. Didn't even drink or ski. Just ate and fucked for 3 days and still spent $350. Unbelievable, there is no reasonable food for 40 minutes from the resort. If you are wanting the best bang for your buck, do what we do and don't even go to Snowshoe. Go to Timberline Resort, they have better skiing in my opinion and you will get more slope time compared to Snowshoe and the chics are not stuck up.

I recommend staying at Black Bear Resort www.blackbearwv.com. I've stayed there 20 times or more and always had a good time. It is a 10 minute drive from the slopes of both Timberline and Canaan Valley, reasonably priced for a weekend and is as nice as anything you will rent from the resorts and you can party your ass off there and no one will say a word. 10 minutes the other way is Davis, WV, home of the Blackwater 100. There is plenty to eat and do there from a tourist perspective. If you need to rent skis, rent them from the Ski Barn for $10 or $15 a day. Don't rent them from the resort.

Full disclosure, I made most of the outdoor furniture at Black Bear Resort but I also have several 100 pieces on Snowshoe properties. I can tell you, I totally prefer Black Bear and Timberline and the Canaan Valley area.
1/25/2019 8:58am Edited Date/Time 1/25/2019 8:59am
My wife and I have went to many ski resorts and stayed in mom and pop dive hotels. Some are just across the street from the slopes for a fraction of the cost. Like $39 a night ! I would do that. Take a backpack and Huck it to a lift from your hotel.

And really all you neee is heat and a place to crash. after all you’re going to ski!
AHRMA361
Fantasy
262nd
1/25/2019 10:16am
I have been to Winterplace in Ghent, WV a few times. It's got plenty to ski on for a weekend, it's not far off of Interstate 77. You may want to check into it as well.

https://www.winterplace.com/

The Shop

DoctorJD
1/25/2019 10:49am
I've never been to Snowshoe, but I've skied the Boone, NC area (almost on the Virginia state line). The latest I've skied there is Presidents Day weekend, and I've seen it hot enough to wear a t-shirt, and I've seen it cold enough to get 8" of snow in one day. Spring skiing in the SE is going to be a crapshoot. With that being said, Spring skiing anywhere is a crapshoot. Even out west.
early
Fantasy
2139th
1/25/2019 11:03am
What the doctor said, I wouldn't book anything ahead of time, it may be 75 degrees there.
woodsrider427
1/25/2019 4:59pm Edited Date/Time 1/25/2019 5:08pm
The cheapest at Snowshoe is always the Inn at Snowshoe, but they are hotel rooms really so I don't think they have kitchens. It is at the base of the mountain but there is a shuttle from there. There is a new condo available on their website called Hill's Creek (I think a 2 bedroom) that seems reasonable, it is also at the base right across from the Inn. Anything directly on the mountain is usually expensive, although not as bad at that time of year.

As for conditions, while it is a gamble, March has historically been one of their best months. Last March they got almost 5' of snow, we went about those same dates in March last year and it was great. We go there quite a bit as we have season passes and my wife likes the village area, so if you have any specific questions let me know. FYI for anyone in the area that skis, they have a season pass for $229 which usually comes available at the end of February and gets you the remainder of the current season and all of next. Hopefully they offer it again this year.

FlickitFlat, Timberline is having major issues, quite a management mess going on over there, They were actually closed recently, but looks like they just reopened with a whopping 7 trails. I would highly not recommend reserving anything there, unless you are going to Canaan. And I certainly would not get on any of their lifts, they had major issues the few weeks they were open. I have never been to Canaan but have heard great things, but mostly only when there is natural snow. Snowshoe put about 4 million dollars into snow making last year when they got bought out by Alterra, so they definitely kick everyone's tail anywhere around here when it comes to manmade.
FlickitFlat
Fantasy
595th
1/25/2019 5:24pm
I didn't know that about Timberline. I haven't been skiing yet this year but I did go sled riding at Blackwater a few weeks ago. I'll have to check it out and see what is going on. Snowshoe by far has the best and fastest lifts. But I just don't like the slopes. They are just to narrow for me. Seems like you are always just dodging people and most of them can't ski very well.
I like Timberline because they have some great blue diamond trails and a couple of really good black diamond and the mid mountain lift. You can easily stay on the blue and black diamonds and stay away from many of those that don't have any business doing them. But they do have a green that leaves from the top but it goes the opposite direction. If you are a beginner skier, their green from the top is fun and very long. For a beginner skier, Canaan is also very good with long repeating slopes that progress as you get better. Beginners can stay in their own area. Maybe I've missed it but I just haven't seen that at Snowshoe. They have so many slopes but leaving from the village, I just think it is a very bad spot for a beginner to learn and they are mixed in with everyone going to other lifts. If I was a beginner, I just don't thing it is a very good place.
I also like Timberline and Canaan because they seem to lack in the numbers of DC fucks while Snowshoe is littered with them. I'd much rather see some dude in Carharts bust his ass all day than some kid with $1000 worth of gear.
Its cold and seem to be plenty of snow on all the mountains. I don't think lack of snow will become a major concern for any of the resorts for the rest of the season.
woodsrider427
1/25/2019 5:42pm Edited Date/Time 1/25/2019 5:45pm
I didn't know that about Timberline. I haven't been skiing yet this year but I did go sled riding at Blackwater a few weeks ago. I'll...
I didn't know that about Timberline. I haven't been skiing yet this year but I did go sled riding at Blackwater a few weeks ago. I'll have to check it out and see what is going on. Snowshoe by far has the best and fastest lifts. But I just don't like the slopes. They are just to narrow for me. Seems like you are always just dodging people and most of them can't ski very well.
I like Timberline because they have some great blue diamond trails and a couple of really good black diamond and the mid mountain lift. You can easily stay on the blue and black diamonds and stay away from many of those that don't have any business doing them. But they do have a green that leaves from the top but it goes the opposite direction. If you are a beginner skier, their green from the top is fun and very long. For a beginner skier, Canaan is also very good with long repeating slopes that progress as you get better. Beginners can stay in their own area. Maybe I've missed it but I just haven't seen that at Snowshoe. They have so many slopes but leaving from the village, I just think it is a very bad spot for a beginner to learn and they are mixed in with everyone going to other lifts. If I was a beginner, I just don't thing it is a very good place.
I also like Timberline and Canaan because they seem to lack in the numbers of DC fucks while Snowshoe is littered with them. I'd much rather see some dude in Carharts bust his ass all day than some kid with $1000 worth of gear.
Its cold and seem to be plenty of snow on all the mountains. I don't think lack of snow will become a major concern for any of the resorts for the rest of the season.
Yeah, do some research on Timberline, it's been a real mess. Lots of interesting stuff on some forums. Sounds like management has been screwing people left and right, but I don't know all the details.

I'll agree with you on the beginner terrain at Snowshoe. I wasn't thinking of that as I don't spend much time there and try avoid weekends (as with most places). I'll do occasional weekends as that's the only time my kids can ski. When I do, I really like the Western Territory side as that usually weeds out the crowds and beginners as well. But the OP's dates are weekdays in March so crowds shouldn't be an issue, and I really think Snowshoe has the best shot of good base still with their snow making capabilities (if the rest of the season ends up dry and warmer). The last couple of seasons February has been rough, hopefully this year is better.

With our season passes it's hard to justify going somewhere else but I do want to give Canaan a try one day. We have the Ikon passes which include Snowshoe as well as a bunch of places out west and up north.
shirey
Fantasy
4001st
1/25/2019 5:47pm
Thanks for all the help guys. This trip is a feeler as well for the future. I graduate nursing school in about a year and aside from getting back into moto full on I want to explore other hobbies. I’m planning on moving somewhere for a couple years before grad school and I thought somewhere like West Virginia may have mild enough winters I could ride during the winter some and snowboarding has always looked so fun to me as well so I’d like to do that too.
early
Fantasy
2139th
1/25/2019 6:39pm
shirey wrote:
Thanks for all the help guys. This trip is a feeler as well for the future. I graduate nursing school in about a year and aside...
Thanks for all the help guys. This trip is a feeler as well for the future. I graduate nursing school in about a year and aside from getting back into moto full on I want to explore other hobbies. I’m planning on moving somewhere for a couple years before grad school and I thought somewhere like West Virginia may have mild enough winters I could ride during the winter some and snowboarding has always looked so fun to me as well so I’d like to do that too.
I lived in southern WV for 6 years, wish I was living there now. If you want some candid info on the place pm me and we can chat.
shirey
Fantasy
4001st
1/26/2019 11:43am
Sure I’d love to chat about it. Mostly interested in checking out the winter options for moto. I’m not sure how many tracks are in the area.
shirey
Fantasy
4001st
1/28/2019 7:56am
early wrote:
I lived in southern WV for 6 years, wish I was living there now. If you want some candid info on the place pm me and...
I lived in southern WV for 6 years, wish I was living there now. If you want some candid info on the place pm me and we can chat.
I can’t seem to figure out the PM function on here. Could you explain how it works.
early
Fantasy
2139th
1/28/2019 11:23am
Hey Shirey, yeah don't worry about the pm. To get to your questions, if you are looking to get into Moto, WV is not a great place. There is a ton of off-road riding but tracks are few and far between. Burning Rock near Beckley had a Moto track when I rode there a few years ago but it looks like maybe they don't anymore. Good Evening Ranch near Summerville closed theirs a number of years ago. Pyramid near Clarksburg closed a while ago when the owner passed. High point is a stones throw from Morgantown but is only really operating on a handful of race weekends. There is alot of offroad riding between burning Rock, Hatfield McCoy and national Forest though. If you are really itching to get back into Moto there are other places that are better to be honest.

Snow sports can be hit or miss depending on the year just like all East coast/Midwest skiing. The ski resorts are pretty close to Morgantown but still a drive. They are probably 3 hour drive from Charleston. So it's not quite a perfect place for it but it is available, more so than Alabama.

There's a ton of hiking, mountain biking, rock climbing and river rafting/kayaking in the rt19 corridor from Beckley to Summersville. If you are looking to get into other outdoor rec hobbies.thats why I was there and it's a great place to have easy access to that stuff.

Being that you are graduating nursing school you could actually find a pretty decent job anywhere. I had to leave WV for mainly economic reasons, it's a tough place to make a living for alot of people. But, there's alot of good people, nice forest and space to get lost in yourself.
Noahoscar986
2/25/2019 3:36am
Check on Ski Bum store. Hope you will find there.
FLmxer
Fantasy
989th
2/26/2019 6:52am
DoctorJD wrote:
I've never been to Snowshoe, but I've skied the Boone, NC area (almost on the Virginia state line). The latest I've skied there is Presidents Day...
I've never been to Snowshoe, but I've skied the Boone, NC area (almost on the Virginia state line). The latest I've skied there is Presidents Day weekend, and I've seen it hot enough to wear a t-shirt, and I've seen it cold enough to get 8" of snow in one day. Spring skiing in the SE is going to be a crapshoot. With that being said, Spring skiing anywhere is a crapshoot. Even out west.
Boone was the first place I saw snow at 18 years old. Spent the first day in 75 degree and the next morning our car was covered. Spent 5 days at the slopes. My father inlaw bought us matching teal and pink jackets and I wore Jean's. Full Florida tourist gear. I figured hey I skate and wakeboard most everyday. I can ride McDonalds trays behind a boat. How hard could it be? Literally went to the top with out going to bunny slope. Mother inlaw was pleading with me not to go up first thing. Pretty much busted my ass all the way down. Was soaked and sore and pants ripped up but picked it up real quick. Went to Kmart and got bibs etc and had a great week snowboarding all day every day.
Her parents dropped us off at a different park each day while they were working with their contractors. Hawsnest, Sugar mountain, Hanging rock, Beach Mountain etc. I bought 6 acres on the New River on the east edge of Boone. Going to put a cabin on it in next year or so.
DoctorJD
2/26/2019 7:10am
DoctorJD wrote:
I've never been to Snowshoe, but I've skied the Boone, NC area (almost on the Virginia state line). The latest I've skied there is Presidents Day...
FLmxer wrote:
Boone was the first place I saw snow at 18 years old. Spent the first day in 75 degree and the next morning our car was...
Boone was the first place I saw snow at 18 years old. Spent the first day in 75 degree and the next morning our car was covered. Spent 5 days at the slopes. My father inlaw bought us matching teal and pink jackets and I wore Jean's. Full Florida tourist gear. I figured hey I skate and wakeboard most everyday. I can ride McDonalds trays behind a boat. How hard could it be? Literally went to the top with out going to bunny slope. Mother inlaw was pleading with me not to go up first thing. Pretty much busted my ass all the way down. Was soaked and sore and pants ripped up but picked it up real quick. Went to Kmart and got bibs etc and had a great week snowboarding all day every day.
Her parents dropped us off at a different park each day while they were working with their contractors. Hawsnest, Sugar mountain, Hanging rock, Beach Mountain etc. I bought 6 acres on the New River on the east edge of Boone. Going to put a cabin on it in next year or so.
If you can ski Beech, you can ski anywhere. It goes from fluff to ice and back again more times than you can count in a day...hell, a RUN! We started taking our kids when they were younger. I think we went like six years in a row. My son snowboards and my daughter and myself are skiers. We went for the last time back in 2012 and rented the big ski-in-ski-out house at the very top of the mountain. It snowed like a mofo the whole time we were there. We had a blast!

I made the mistake of skiing out west the next year, and now I can't go back to Beech (for skiing). Boone is an awesome town, I'm actually thinking about heading up there to do some mountain biking this summer. Although based on the GoPro footage of the downhill runs, I might be in over my head!
woodsrider427
2/26/2019 1:45pm Edited Date/Time 2/26/2019 1:47pm
DoctorJD wrote:
FLmxer wrote:
Boone was the first place I saw snow at 18 years old. Spent the first day in 75 degree and the next morning our car was...
DoctorJD wrote:
If you can ski Beech, you can ski anywhere. It goes from fluff to ice and back again more times than you can count in a...
If you can ski Beech, you can ski anywhere. It goes from fluff to ice and back again more times than you can count in a day...hell, a RUN! We started taking our kids when they were younger. I think we went like six years in a row. My son snowboards and my daughter and myself are skiers. We went for the last time back in 2012 and rented the big ski-in-ski-out house at the very top of the mountain. It snowed like a mofo the whole time we were there. We had a blast!

I made the mistake of skiing out west the next year, and now I can't go back to Beech (for skiing). Boone is an awesome town, I'm actually thinking about heading up there to do some mountain biking this summer. Although based on the GoPro footage of the downhill runs, I might be in over my head!
I ski at Sugar quite a bit, I prefer it to Beech. We just bought a lot in Sugar Mountain and will be building a house within the next few years, we love that area.

Yes, skiing out west will ruin you for skiing in the southeast. We are heading to Utah next week and then CA the last week of March. I've skied Sugar, Wintergreen, and Snowshoe a bunch so far this season to get my legs ready. It would be hard to come back from the western trips and ski any of those, but that wears off by next season when I start getting the itch to ski again.

I want to try the mountain biking too, I'm definitely going to try and make that happen this summer.
DoctorJD
2/27/2019 8:26am
FLmxer wrote:
DoctorJD wrote:
If you can ski Beech, you can ski anywhere. It goes from fluff to ice and back again more times than you can count in a...

I ski at Sugar quite a bit, I prefer it to Beech. We just bought a lot in Sugar Mountain and will be building a house...
I ski at Sugar quite a bit, I prefer it to Beech. We just bought a lot in Sugar Mountain and will be building a house within the next few years, we love that area.

Yes, skiing out west will ruin you for skiing in the southeast. We are heading to Utah next week and then CA the last week of March. I've skied Sugar, Wintergreen, and Snowshoe a bunch so far this season to get my legs ready. It would be hard to come back from the western trips and ski any of those, but that wears off by next season when I start getting the itch to ski again.

I want to try the mountain biking too, I'm definitely going to try and make that happen this summer.
Have fun. I went to Park City last month, snowed almost every day. Love it out there.

woodsrider427
2/27/2019 12:45pm
DoctorJD wrote:
Have fun. I went to Park City last month, snowed almost every day. Love it out there.

Thanks. We won't ski Park City as it is not included on the passes we have. But I am looking forward to checking out the town, it looks like a great place from what I've seen.

Post a reply to: Snow shoe ski resort

The Latest