Smoking and how to quit?

Related:
Create New Tag

9/16/2021 9:58 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/16/2021 9:59 PM

I was a late starter. Puffed a bit with the boys in the military but once I was out and racing again I was focussed on health and fitness. My very last race was in 1999. After racing I started to drink more and party more.

I turned 30 in 2000 and everytime i had a pint with the boys id have a cigarette or two. I considered myself a social smoker.

Fast forward some years and im smoking like 20 a day. It bothers me badly and have quit many times since but any stress or anxiety or even a couple of pints and i start smoking.

Anyone here with some advice as how you managed to stop for good?

I've tried going cold Turkey. I really need to stop. Its bad for my health and its expensive.

|

Non Gratum Anus Rodentum

9/16/2021 10:54 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/16/2021 10:58 PM

Boomslang wrote:

I was a late starter. Puffed a bit with the boys in the military but once I was out and racing again I was focussed on health ...more

Although I don’t smoke now, my addiction is chew.
I started smoking when I was 14. I almost got caught smoking weed by my grandfather. I saw him peeking out the window and lit a cigarette so he didn’t catch me while he was coming outside. He came out and asked when I started smoking. I told him, a few months ago. He asked why didn’t I tell him. Because, I didn’t want to get in trouble. Then he asked what I brand I smoked. Marlboro Reds. The next morning with my lunch money was a pack of Marlboro Reds.

When I first started working construction at 20, we were allowed to smoke in the buildings. A few years later we weren’t. A few guys switched to chew and, I eventually figured I’d try it. Ultimately, it became my habit over smoking. To me, there’s nothing better v then a good cup of coffee and, a pinch of chew while fall fishing for salmon. I don’t drink (anymore), I don’t do drugs (anymore). Been clean and sober since 97.
One thing I will say is, drugs were easier to quit then chewing tobacco. It’s way more addicting mentally. I don’t have much advice but, a lot of guys who have chewed and, who also smoked switched permanently to Zyn nicotine pouches. It’s basically nicotine with artificial flavors and plant based materials. Not tobacco. It’s not as harmful as smoking and chewing. Yes there’s nicotine but, you can use them while you work, your clothes won’t reek of cigarettes and, you won’t have to worry about subjecting your family to second hand smoke. They also don’t have all the BS additives tobacco has in it. It’s not the best alternative but, maybe try those. They come in 3 or 6 mg of nicotine. Try 3mg if, it’s something you decide on. Like I said, it’s not the best advice but, a slightly better alternative while you’re trying to quit smoking.

|

9/16/2021 11:17 PM

I tried chewing whilst i was in the states..think it was Copenhagen....man, its just not for me..then the boys spitting in Gatoraid bottles or coffee cups further put me off.

Here is SA nobody chews. Never seen anyone here chew and you dont see chew or dip for sale in shops.

I've had the odd line of coke over the years and smoked a bit of weed but don't do any nowdays. I rather buy a big ass rump steak than a gram of coke.

Drink beer and barbecue is my thing. Its just that I want to kick the damn smoking addiction. Easier said than done.

|

Non Gratum Anus Rodentum

9/17/2021 3:55 AM

I'm not a smoker, and I'm not sure how good it would help with quitting smoking overall - but CBD has done wonders for the stress & anxiety (and general pain) things for me.

|

HAF

9/17/2021 4:08 AM

Smoked a carton in 3 days up in Tahoe. Got hammered my last night there. Drivin home extremely hung over with the strong stench of cigarettes was a good start for me to quit. Fortunately was building a new house at the time and was working outside. Eating sunflower seeds helped me get through it. Best thing I ever quit.

|

9/17/2021 4:12 AM

Hypnotist

|

9/17/2021 6:28 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/17/2021 6:29 AM

I still dip, but my wife smoked and this worked for her. If you smoke 20 a day, smoke 19 today and tomorrow. Then smoke 18 for the next two days. Keep dropping 1 cigarette every 2 days. It may be easier to track it on your phone so you don’t forget to count one, and you can see how often you smoke. If you see you smoke one every 45min, start going an hour between smokes, then an hour and 20min or so. This way you’re keeping them somewhat evenly distributed throughout the day while continuing to smoke less and less cigarettes. Yeah tracking it is a bit of work, but it’s free and you come off gradually so you’re not dealing with the withdrawals too bad.

|

9/17/2021 12:55 PM

Whatever method you choose, stick to your plan. Become relentless with that plan. Learn to enjoy the suffering because it means the plan is working. The plan itself becomes your reward, not the cigarette. See?

One day, you'll look up and realize the plan worked because you haven't smoked a cigarette in a long time. When you can confidently say you don't know how many days it's been, you're in good shape. Don't ever give back in.

|

Braaapin' aint easy.

9/17/2021 1:16 PM

Sunflower seeds and altoids mints

|

9/17/2021 1:57 PM

Ya gotta want to quit.

Period.

Recognize that smoking will kill you, and they (the “industry”) is betting you can’t quit.

Prove them wrong.

Quit paying them to slowly kill you.

It takes a rock solid mindset to do it.

10 year smoker/chewer while in military and college.

|

9/17/2021 2:33 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/17/2021 2:34 PM

The ration idea posted above worked for me… then I purposely bought brands I didnt like so it made it less and less pleasant.

The big thing for me was the people around me. It is hard to stop when you are surrounded by other smokers especially when you are drinking.

The urge eventually subsides for the most part. I hate to say it but if I am having a couple drinks and someone lights up…. the urge can come back for me.

My grandfather had his trachea removed from smoking. When my father found out I smoked… he basically wondered why he even had to say anything at all.

Good luck… if you stick with it I know you can beat it and you are better off without it being a part of your life.

|

9/17/2021 2:56 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/17/2021 3:10 PM

I used a juul to quit cigs (only smoked for 8 years or so), now nothing other than the random Rogue nicotine packs. It's like chew without the nasty ass spit and garbage in your mouth.

|

9/17/2021 2:57 PM

I quit cigs and moved to a Juul several years ago. At first I could go through a pod a day because of my nicotine addiction. But slowly tapered off from 5% pods to 3% pods. Yes, 'long term' studies haven't been done as to the effects of vaping, but after doing a ton of research and talking to my doctor who I trust, it is drastically better than the hundreds of chemicals and the TAR in a single cigarette.
Biggest difference I noticed was for one, I didn't smell like shit everyday. Second, working out 4 days a week, riding moto on the weekends or mountain biking, I didn't have that feeling of my lungs feeling clogged up with shit. My fitness improved drastically when I switched to a Juul. I still use it, but a single pod can last me for a week now. It worked for me. I have vices, and I've accepted it. Just trying to manage them with the least amount of damage as possible. Good luck on your journey, but try your hardest to quit actual cigarettes. You'll feel so much better.

|

9/17/2021 3:27 PM

IanMac138 wrote:

I quit cigs and moved to a Juul several years ago. At first I could go through a pod a day because of my nicotine addiction. ...more

I also quit w/ vaping. Smoked for 25 years, pack a day and quit cold turkey using these cig-a-like refillable vapes. Noticed an immediate difference, my lungs cleared up right away and as stated above I didnt smell like a fucking ash tray. Its been like 12 years now, I continued to vape for awhile but have since stopped just cuz I got tired of it.

You have to WANT to quit, I was at the point where I felt every cig I had was killing me more and more, my lungs were thrashed and I was coughing lung butter daily, it was horrible. It amazed me how quickly things cleared up though, within a week I was breathing much clearer.

Do it Boom! You will feel so much better, grab a vape if you cant white knuckle a cold turkey quit, they help tons.

|

-OC
"Feed The Bull"
Twitter: @ocscottie | Facebook

9/17/2021 8:26 PM

You got this Shaun. Kick it’s ass!

|

Don't ever let facts get in the way of a great story

9/17/2021 9:14 PM

As others have said, you have to want to quit. It's easy to motivate yourself if you are honest about your health and where you are headed.

I would add, set yourself goals and a reward. Nothing too big or too far away. Quit for a month and reward yourself with something cool that you want or a night out. Once you achieve that set another one, maybe three months.

I quit cold turkey but I did have a couple of mates wager that I wouldn't be able to. Taking their money was my reward. I smoked heavily for about 10 years and haven't had one in 20 years

|

9/17/2021 10:41 PM

I quit a dipping habit/nicotine addiction after a dentist diagnosed pre-cancerous cells during a routine visit. He told me to stand up and look at the images. The future predicted was ugly, painful, and with an early exit from the living. He’s a good dentist.

Boom, nicotine gum chews and a goal of “just win the day” worked for me. Stopping forever was too much to wrap a nicotine addicted brain around. Achieving a 1-day goal of not dipping was simple enough and left no room for debate in my head. Not dipping for 1 day was a battle I knew I could always win.

Days turn to weeks, weeks to months, …your body resets.

Do it, man.

|

9/18/2021 12:10 AM

End of this month im quitting. Cutting down daily until then. Ill keep ya all posted

|

Non Gratum Anus Rodentum

9/18/2021 3:41 AM

Boomslang wrote:

End of this month im quitting. Cutting down daily until then. Ill keep ya all posted

Holding you to it fucker.
In the meantime don’t buy anymore.
I stumbled across a little mental trick when I was trying to quit smoking too much weed that helped me. Maybe it’ll help with cigs too, I don’t know but it helped me. Here’s what I figured out. If I was completely out of weed I would get anxiety, cave in and go buy more. Then since I had a bunch I would naturally smoke it daily, telling myself I’ll quit when this batch was gone. That’s when I figured out it was easier to not smoke if I kept a little in the garage so I knew that “If I really wanted to” I could. The anxiety of “being out of weed” wasn’t there and it was easier to not smoke, knowing that if I really wanted to, I could. So I’d save a little nugget “just in case” Then as time went on it got easier and easier to go without. I don’t know if it would help with cigs but maybe save one “emergency smoke” somewhere just in case, and then when the urge comes decide if it’s really that necessary or should you save it for something more stressful down the line. Like I said I don’t know if it will help with cigarettes or not, but for me it was easier to quit if I knew I had an emergency stash, then when I had the desire I’d say do I really need this right now ? Or should I save it for later ? Then eventually I stopped thinking about it and Is tossed it. Good luck bud and DON’t FUCKING BUY ANYMORE ! Good luck we’re rootin for you 😎

|

9/18/2021 5:34 AM

You are associating a physical action (smoking) with a chemical change in the brain you like. (Relaxing, anxiety control, etc)

It’s far easier to break or replace the physical action while still getting that chemical brain stimulant.

For me the best thing was Nicorete Gum. I wound even hold it in the side of my cheek like a dip. And sure enough I got that same chemical brain stimulant. After about two weeks I was totally off tobacco. I did become addicted to the gum for about a year. But eventually quit that.

As others have said, another good thing to break a tobacco habit is vaping. I got into that for a few years not long ago. I had a custom kit and tank and tons of flavors I loved. Really that become just as addictive as tobacco because the vaping doesn’t smell and you can literally vape anywhere. I would vape in my office, at the airport, grocery store, everywhere. I wound wake up in the middle of the night and have a few puffs if I wanted.

So that can get pretty addictive. The good thing though is you can really control how much nicotine you are vaping. So I was at 12mg. Then after a month I sent to to 6mg. Them after several months dropped down to 3 and then to 1mg. Then finally dropped down to 0mg vape juice. Vaped that for a month and once I stopped getting that chemical feeling from the physical action, I just stopped vaping.

Some say oh just quit cold turkey. And that might work for some people but not everyone.

So my recommendation is try the Nicorete for a minimum of three weeks straight. You will find your send several pieces of gum a day. Stick with it a eventually you will not have the craving for a cigarette. Sure you will crave the gum, and that’s a good thing. Just have a pint and pop a piece of gum in.

Good luck!

|

9/18/2021 6:34 AM

I quit cold turkey over 10yrs ago when I threw a half pack down on the kitchen table and said "that's it, I'm done."

The next day wasn't bad until I got home and there they laid, staring me in the face, so I changed my attitude about cigs into a hate for them. Every time I wanted a smoke, I would do push ups or sit ups until the craving went away. It wasn't long before my mind associated the cravings with the physical punishment and the cravings went away. After a couple weeks I no longer craved a cigarette in any situation, still don't to this day.

I finally threw that pack of smokes away the day I moved out of that house and into a new one.

|

9/18/2021 9:19 AM

I haven’t smoked a tobacco cigarette in just over 56 years, so no personal experience with trying to quit from me!

But I remember a high school teacher telling us how he quit. For every cigarette he smoked, he made himself eat one, filter and all. He said that he ended up only smoking a dozen or so after deciding to quit…….

|

9/18/2021 12:18 PM

A friend of mine quit using nicotine infused toothpicks.

He transitioned from cigarettes to those, then went to chewing on regular toothpicks.

|

9/18/2021 1:03 PM

Bigoldbeef wrote:

A friend of mine quit using nicotine infused toothpicks.

He transitioned from cigarettes to those, then went to chewing on ...more

Sounds like a winner. Ill keep an eye open for them in SA.

|

Non Gratum Anus Rodentum

9/18/2021 6:34 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/18/2021 7:23 PM

I just passed the 3 year mark in August. Never thought I could quit. Then health issues started scaring me so I started using Chantix per dr.’s suggestion. You don’t have to quit, just take 1 pill twice a day. Eventually, I just smoked way less and then 1 day I just said fuck it and haven’t smoked since. I can drink and be around smokers no problem. No urge whatsoever. Wish I had done it a long time ago.
Believe me, if I quit, you can definitely quit. Never thought it would happen. Wanting to quit is a huge part of it, but the extra help from the pills is what did it for me.
Good luck, don’t give up. You’ll be so happy when you quit for good.

Ps. This is my first time in this section of the board. Hopefully I have helped someone or someone in the future that reads this to get out of the nasty habit. You’re not alone. Don’t stop trying 👍

|

9/18/2021 9:09 PM

I was a long time smoker, and I tried Gum , them patches, than gum and patches, and I was still craving cigarettes badly, to be honest other than worrying about health and the fact that they have gotten expensive I enjoyed smoking. .but what finally helped was a conversation with the same Doctor that had given me the gum and patches, I Said I'm sure I'm getting enough nicotine from the gum and patches but it's anxiety, And the cigarettes really seem to help with anxiety, after I Saud that he suggested Anxiety pills and the gum and the patches, and that combination worked for me, I quit 3 years ago, I still have an occasional craving but The combination I Said did work for me, the first week is the toughest if you can make it one week it gets a lot easier after that.

|

9/18/2021 11:05 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/18/2021 11:05 PM

SLAPAHO wrote:

I just passed the 3 year mark in August. Never thought I could quit. Then health issues started scaring me so I started using ...more

Appreciate your story Slapaho and all the rest of the comments above. You guys are giving me more will power to pull this off.

I have been sitting on prescription tabs to help me stop smoking for over a month now but have not had the balls to start the program. I felt that I needed to get my head dailed in and prepared for this.

My Doc prescribed me Varenicline...i think its similar to what you used, Champix I believe is another name. In a nutshell, It both reduces craving for and decreases the pleasurable effects of nicotine from cigarettes and other tobacco.

I have about 7 smokes left from a pack of 20 which I bought on Friday afternoon. Been slowing down. Woke up this morning around 7am and wanted a smoke but I refrained and have decided to have said smoke at 9am.

Ill be crossing over to the tabs when a have like three smokes left in the packet.

Thank you all.

|

Non Gratum Anus Rodentum

9/19/2021 4:20 AM

I used my ACL surgery to stop. Laid up in bed for 2 weeks, not working, doing rehab was a great way to break up the cycle. Breaking the cycle is a big one, not only do you need to quit, but you need to change up your life. It could be as simple as driving a different way to work, diet, exercise, etc..

Just removing cigs or replacing them didn't work for me.

You are really going to enjoy breathing better.

|

9/19/2021 1:20 PM

I hate quitters...as I sit here lighting another cig. There is some damn good advice in this thread. I'm gonna give it another try. I hate this fucking habit.

|

If it ain't yer's don't take it, If it ain't the truth dont say it, If it ain't right don't do it...Marcus Aurelius

9/19/2021 6:29 PM

avidchimp wrote:

I used a juul to quit cigs (only smoked for 8 years or so), now nothing other than the random Rogue nicotine packs. It's like ...more

Where do they sell rogue ? And what is it ? If it’s a lozenge that may work. I started in 9th grade big group of friends cheer leaders the hot chics one kid started all of us smoking. I was a basketball star the coaches new because I smoked in front of some teaches. Students had there own smoking section at school even it was know as the cool kids area. Remember nba players smoked a lot of people on tv even on planes. I don’t smoke at all drinking but driving truck I smoke a ton. I had severe sinus and lung infections countless times antibiotics and prednisone knocks it out. Kinda turns into a game. I smoked weed 12 grade for maybe 3 yrs then again 12 yrs later . Broken back in 96 working construction dr,s gave ya huge bottles of pain killers with refills always stopped them if I didn’t need them. In 98 a couple puffs after work or on a weekend I loved it if my back wasn’t out I would go jet skiing ride mini bike, mtb, basketball active stuff . I quit weed cold turkey, miss it but never do it. July 19 to 28th pain killers a pill every 1.5 hrs including oxys from lower teeth being pulled 2 where 40 min each of extreme pain. Nerve in the lower jaw creates high pain in your ears and side of your head. 800mg ibuprofen did nothing actually the pain killers didn’t help much. Then grinding on my jaw a lot for dental implants. I quit the pills cold turkey love them like most due, but I can’t be on them for work so I never take them. But smoking is legal if I go for a walk at a truck stop the waitresses r out back smoking everyone jokes around. But what is worse being 150 lbs ovr weight or smoking ? You can get blater cancer and destroy your lungs smoking. Ovr weight has many more health problems. But there is no big signs of lung problems until it’s too late. It’s all about pack years.

|