Smart tv selection for nbc sports gold

mikec265
Edited Date/Time 10/15/2020 10:09am
I know nothing about smart tvs. Do all the new ones have the ability to download the nbc sports gold app, or do I have to do my homework? I would like to go as cheap as possible on a 65,40, and 32 inch, but I'm afraid of the cheapies not being able to download the app. Better internet is finally available where I live, so we're finally getting rid of direct TV and expensive slow internet.

|
71Fish
10/14/2020 11:46am Edited Date/Time 10/14/2020 11:49am
They are pretty much all smart TVs now, with the ability to download apps.

Something I found out, you still need a TV provider to use the NBC gold app. Unless some knows how, I couldn't use it as a standalone app.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3739th
10/14/2020 12:03pm
71Fish wrote:
They are pretty much all smart TVs now, with the ability to download apps. Something I found out, you still need a TV provider to use...
They are pretty much all smart TVs now, with the ability to download apps.

Something I found out, you still need a TV provider to use the NBC gold app. Unless some knows how, I couldn't use it as a standalone app.
The NBC Sports app merged with the NBC app.

I'm pretty sure you don't need a TV provider to watch anything on the Gold app as long as you have a subscription to the sport you want to watch.

In the app you have to click Gold. I think it's located up top. From there you just need to put your username and password.

It was discussed quite a bit in moto-related.
early
Fantasy
2231st
10/14/2020 12:33pm
I haven't looked in a little while but not all apps are available to all smart tvs. I have samsung and lg smart tvs but I use Amazon fire boxes on all of them because they have the best compatibility with the greatest number of apps that I have found. You absolutely do not need a cable login to access nbc gold content. There is a prompt when searching for mx content where it asks you if you want to search for nbc sport or nbc gold content or both. I believe it defaults to both then if you click on a race it will default to nbc sports coverage which requires a login. If you select nbc gold content from the outset you get sweet commercial free coverage for $90 a year mx and SX.
SEE ARE125
10/14/2020 12:35pm
I’ve always found smart TVs to be sort of clunky. I much prefer skipping the “smart” setup and just adding a box. I use Apple TV, but Roku and Fire are good as well.

The Shop

peelout
10/14/2020 12:41pm Edited Date/Time 10/14/2020 12:42pm
one of the things i found was that you can have NBC Gold and stream from your phone without a television streaming package, but to stream directly from your TV or a Playstation/XBox, you have to have a television streaming package, hence i went with YouTube TV. i believe you can just stream from your phone without having a streaming package though.

hope that description was clear as mud
JeremyK
10/14/2020 12:58pm
I've always just got the app on my tablet and then cast it to the tv.
mikec265
10/14/2020 2:14pm
JeremyK wrote:
I'm guessing that you need a Samsung TV and Samsung phone to do that or are different brands compatible now?
mikec265
10/14/2020 2:24pm
early wrote:
I haven't looked in a little while but not all apps are available to all smart tvs. I have samsung and lg smart tvs but I...
I haven't looked in a little while but not all apps are available to all smart tvs. I have samsung and lg smart tvs but I use Amazon fire boxes on all of them because they have the best compatibility with the greatest number of apps that I have found. You absolutely do not need a cable login to access nbc gold content. There is a prompt when searching for mx content where it asks you if you want to search for nbc sport or nbc gold content or both. I believe it defaults to both then if you click on a race it will default to nbc sports coverage which requires a login. If you select nbc gold content from the outset you get sweet commercial free coverage for $90 a year mx and SX.
So I can buy fire boxes instead of new TVs... Interesting concept to look into. Thank you.
TXDirt
10/14/2020 3:02pm
early wrote:
I haven't looked in a little while but not all apps are available to all smart tvs. I have samsung and lg smart tvs but I...
mikec265 wrote:
So I can buy fire boxes instead of new TVs... Interesting concept to look into. Thank you.
We have a mixture of smart TVs in our house but I have an Amazon 4K Fire stick at each TV. The Amazon fire stick is going to be superior to any “smart” Tv interface. And it’s going to have more apps, the apps are generally better and more stable. The new 4K stick connects to your tv volume too so one remote controls everything.

I downloaded the NBC Sports app to my amazon fire stick. I signed up for the SX and MX Gold package. I login to the nbc sports app (no tv provider) required and watch commercial free SX and MX.

It gets a bit confusing because you can stream the races using a tv login too. But all you are doing is watching the cable tv stream. So it requires you to use a tv subscription to do that.

But if you just purchase the SX and MX package, you can stream it without having a tv package. It get confusing because you can do both through the same app. You have to go to the gold section in the app.

I would just get as much tv as you need or can afford and then just hook up the 4K Fire stick to it.
TXDirt
10/14/2020 3:07pm Edited Date/Time 10/14/2020 3:10pm
I also have a 4K fire stick in my travel bag. I take it with me when traveling. I’ve plugged it into the TV at places like Disney World, or when we go camping “glamping” because we stay at cabins or places with WiFi and TVs. I just plug it into the TV. Join the provided WiFi service and boom I’m streaming tv. That’s how I watched the races last weekend. We were camping and I tethered the fire stick to my phone and was watching the races right in the cabin on the big screen tv. Was great not having to use my phone or laptop as we had a big group watching the race.
jgmxdad251
10/14/2020 3:15pm
Most of the Smart Tv’s have chromecast built into them, so steaming from your smartphone is pretty easy. Mine was having an issue connecting on WiFi occasionally. I ended hard wiring the tv and that problem went away.
Stephon
10/14/2020 3:24pm
JeremyK wrote:
mikec265 wrote:
I'm guessing that you need a Samsung TV and Samsung phone to do that or are different brands compatible now?
I have a Samsung TV, 5-6 years old; an Apple TV device, 4-5 years old, and I'm an iPhone user. I have the NBC Sports Gold App downloaded to my phone and Apple TV. I can watch content on my phone or send it to my TV from my phone or watch it directly on my TV through the app that is downloaded to Apple TV. I don't have cable TV, just Spectrum Internet service.

Best of luck! It works pretty well, I must say.
early
Fantasy
2231st
10/14/2020 3:42pm
mikec265 wrote:
Yes. That's the way to go if you don't want to upgrade your tv. For less than 50 you can have a smart tv. As txdirt said I take mine when I travel or plug it into a cheap led projector to watch races on the patio in the summer.
plowboy
10/14/2020 4:08pm
I bought a cheap ass ROKU tv for the garage (where my son and I are relegated cause we hoot and holler so much). Mav and the guys coached me on set up and it works perfect. My other tv's are 240 Hz which doesn't blur in fast action like moto but this one is only 120Hz which has been surprisingly good. I wouldn't go any less though...unless you want a headache.
mikec265
10/14/2020 4:52pm
I think we're good. Apparently my wife's grandmother gave us a cheaper fire stick about a year ago and I never knew it. Looks like all I gotta do is start my nbc sports gold subscription. The app is already on it. New internet seems fast enough for 1080p. Good bye direct TV!
peelout
10/14/2020 5:06pm
mikec265 wrote:
I think we're good. Apparently my wife's grandmother gave us a cheaper fire stick about a year ago and I never knew it. Looks like all...
I think we're good. Apparently my wife's grandmother gave us a cheaper fire stick about a year ago and I never knew it. Looks like all I gotta do is start my nbc sports gold subscription. The app is already on it. New internet seems fast enough for 1080p. Good bye direct TV!
yeah man, fuck DTV. i've been using YouTubeTV and love it. there are definitely plenty of options out there without having to spend 250 per month
JeremyK
10/14/2020 6:17pm
JeremyK wrote:
mikec265 wrote:
I have a sony bravia TV and a samsung tablet , both my phone and tablet can stream to the TV
Timo_2824
10/14/2020 6:31pm
My Smart TV is from 2012 so most of the apps are no longer supported. I moved to a chromecast 3 years ago and just cast from our phones, tablets, or PC. Basically just turns it into a big screen, much more cost effective than buying a new TV every 5 years.
71Fish
10/14/2020 8:17pm
How are you all getting TV apps without a provider? I downloaded NBC and NBC Sports to my phone but it still required a provider to use, which I don't have.
TXDirt
10/14/2020 8:26pm Edited Date/Time 10/14/2020 8:27pm
71Fish wrote:
How are you all getting TV apps without a provider? I downloaded NBC and NBC Sports to my phone but it still required a provider to...
How are you all getting TV apps without a provider? I downloaded NBC and NBC Sports to my phone but it still required a provider to use, which I don't have.
Those apps require a tv provider. Typically. Your tv provider could be DirecTv, Hulu, YouTubeTv, etc.

NBC Sports Gold is subscription based outside of the tv provider wall.
early
Fantasy
2231st
10/14/2020 8:29pm
71Fish wrote:
How are you all getting TV apps without a provider? I downloaded NBC and NBC Sports to my phone but it still required a provider to...
Are you logged in with the user credentials you used to purchase the SX/mx gold pass and searching under the nbc gold tab?

peelout
10/15/2020 8:43am Edited Date/Time 10/15/2020 8:52am
71Fish wrote:
don't use the app. just go to NBCSports gold from an internet browser, log in, and then start your episode and stream to your TV from your phone.

the actual apps make you log in to a provider before letting you stream.
TXDirt
10/15/2020 9:01am
71Fish wrote:
peelout wrote:
don't use the app. just go to NBCSports gold from an internet browser, log in, and then start your episode and stream to your TV from...
don't use the app. just go to NBCSports gold from an internet browser, log in, and then start your episode and stream to your TV from your phone.

If you are accessing the general stream you will need to use your provider. If you are accessing your gold subscription you don’t need a provider.

The app doesn’t make it very obvious which one is which, but it’s there if you look for the MX SX streams under the gold heading.

I have no provider and I use the app just fine. I just don’t click on any of the streams that require to verify my cable provider.
peelout
10/15/2020 9:02am
71Fish wrote:
peelout wrote:
don't use the app. just go to NBCSports gold from an internet browser, log in, and then start your episode and stream to your TV from...

TXDirt wrote:
If you are accessing the general stream you will need to use your provider. If you are accessing your gold subscription you don’t need a provider...
If you are accessing the general stream you will need to use your provider. If you are accessing your gold subscription you don’t need a provider.

The app doesn’t make it very obvious which one is which, but it’s there if you look for the MX SX streams under the gold heading.

I have no provider and I use the app just fine. I just don’t click on any of the streams that require to verify my cable provider.
i love how easy they make it...
71Fish
10/15/2020 9:58am
71Fish wrote:
peelout wrote:

Thanks, that helps.
I don't have a subscription at this time. I was downloading to try and get a subscription for pro cycling but kept getting the provider question.
71Fish
10/15/2020 9:59am
peelout wrote:

TXDirt wrote:
If you are accessing the general stream you will need to use your provider. If you are accessing your gold subscription you don’t need a provider...

peelout wrote:
You say that and I can't seem to figure it out.
peelout
10/15/2020 10:04am
TXDirt wrote:

peelout wrote:
71Fish wrote:
You say that and I can't seem to figure it out.
it was a little bit of sarcasm.

i dicked with it for a couple hours one night and almost put my remote through the tv screen
early
Fantasy
2231st
10/15/2020 10:09am
71Fish wrote:
Thanks, that helps. I don't have a subscription at this time. I was downloading to try and get a subscription for pro cycling but kept getting...
Thanks, that helps.
I don't have a subscription at this time. I was downloading to try and get a subscription for pro cycling but kept getting the provider question.
If you don't have a subscription it won't let you go on gold content. I believe you need to subscribe on a computer or phone, you can't do it on the TV app.

Post a reply to: Smart tv selection for nbc sports gold

The Latest