Side by Side

Mx4life320
Fantasy
2781st
Edited Date/Time 1/22/2022 10:26am
I am new to getting into the SxS game, but looking to see what peoples opinions and experiences are. I grew up a Honda guy so my heart is set on the Talon 1000R or X. I also like how the talon is shaft and not belt driven. I've read the RZR guys go through a lot of belts.

TIA!
|
bh84
Fantasy
1830th
1/19/2022 7:20am
Can-Am and Polaris are kind of head and shoulder ahead of the rest of the market right now. Typically the guys who go through belts are the ones that do dumb shit like holding it wide open while stuck or playing in stupid thick mud. Belt tech has gotten a lot better over the years.
Stuntman949
1/19/2022 7:27am
Oh wow! Didnt realize you were a golfer!

Jokes aside: What are you looking to do with it? Family vehicle? What terrain?
Mx4life320
Fantasy
2781st
1/19/2022 8:10am
I am in northern illinois so mostly just trails, and woods riding. Maybe ride a track if i could but no racing. It would only be for the wife and I, so just a 2 seater.
What makes can am and Polaris a head of the competition? On paper they all seem similar. If anything Can AM is ahead of everyone in my eyes. Sorry for my ignorance, I am just trying to get some other perspectives.
ns503
1/19/2022 8:51am
bh84 wrote:
Can-Am and Polaris are kind of head and shoulder ahead of the rest of the market right now. Typically the guys who go through belts are...
Can-Am and Polaris are kind of head and shoulder ahead of the rest of the market right now. Typically the guys who go through belts are the ones that do dumb shit like holding it wide open while stuck or playing in stupid thick mud. Belt tech has gotten a lot better over the years.
Ahead in what way(s)?

I think Honda would be my first look. Maybe Yamaha. Local Kawi place here has a crap ton of Teryxs out there, seemed like everyone was buying them and I know a lot of happy repeat buyers.

The Shop

skeef
Fantasy
1421st
1/19/2022 9:17am
bh84 wrote:
Can-Am and Polaris are kind of head and shoulder ahead of the rest of the market right now. Typically the guys who go through belts are...
ns503 wrote:
Ahead in what way(s)? I think Honda would be my first look. Maybe Yamaha. Local Kawi place here has a crap ton of Teryxs out there...
Ahead in what way(s)?

I think Honda would be my first look. Maybe Yamaha. Local Kawi place here has a crap ton of Teryxs out there, seemed like everyone was buying them and I know a lot of happy repeat buyers.
Suspension, power, power delivery, technology, comfort... uh pretty much anything. No BS this is my job. I have driven everything from the Talon with a turbo kit, KRX, every x3 in the lineup, every rzr in the lineup, yxz, you name it.

If I was going to buy a SXS to tool around in the woods and I know I won't be dropping crazy money into it... I would buy the Kawasaki KRX 1000. Highly highly reccomend looking into that machine. For the price it has the best of everything you could want and you can pretty much go take it off the showroom, not touch anything and have tons of fun..

Depends on what kind of riding you are going to do. The people that blow through belts are dumbasses that stomp there foot in it anywhere and everywhere without 'breaking in' the belt. I have had 3 rzrs and almost never blew a belt.
ratbeagle139
Fantasy
3080th
1/19/2022 9:57am Edited Date/Time 1/19/2022 10:56am
x2 on the KRX recommendation.. I switched over from Polaris RZR in may of 2020 and haven't looked back since. Nothing out there matches the ride quality, literally rides like a trophy truck through anything you can throw at it, all the chassis components are way over-engineered (in a good way) in comparison to the other brands. Yes there are faster units out there but 70mph is plenty fast for most, majority of trails will have you averaging speeds below 35mph anyhow.

Don't sweat belt driven machines, their all solid now days. I've been getting 2k-3k miles out of belts since 2016, most of it has to do with how you drive, how often you blow out your belt housing, and washing your machine regularly.

Feel free to message me with questions, if I haven't had the machine someone in my riding group probably has.

bh84
Fantasy
1830th
1/19/2022 11:33am
x2 on the KRX recommendation.. I switched over from Polaris RZR in may of 2020 and haven't looked back since. Nothing out there matches the ride...
x2 on the KRX recommendation.. I switched over from Polaris RZR in may of 2020 and haven't looked back since. Nothing out there matches the ride quality, literally rides like a trophy truck through anything you can throw at it, all the chassis components are way over-engineered (in a good way) in comparison to the other brands. Yes there are faster units out there but 70mph is plenty fast for most, majority of trails will have you averaging speeds below 35mph anyhow.

Don't sweat belt driven machines, their all solid now days. I've been getting 2k-3k miles out of belts since 2016, most of it has to do with how you drive, how often you blow out your belt housing, and washing your machine regularly.

Feel free to message me with questions, if I haven't had the machine someone in my riding group probably has.

I haven`t seen a KRX yet, got one on order for a guy but it hasn`t arrived yet. Heard good things though!
lostboy819
Fantasy
1442nd
1/19/2022 12:06pm Edited Date/Time 1/19/2022 12:08pm
Mx4life320 wrote:
I am new to getting into the SxS game, but looking to see what peoples opinions and experiences are. I grew up a Honda guy so...
I am new to getting into the SxS game, but looking to see what peoples opinions and experiences are. I grew up a Honda guy so my heart is set on the Talon 1000R or X. I also like how the talon is shaft and not belt driven. I've read the RZR guys go through a lot of belts.

TIA!
You cant go wrong with a Honda. The Polaris is really strong running machine as is the Can am but what the Polaris is lacking is the fit and finish and much higher quality of the other manufactures like Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki and Can Am. Its not just the belt drive system, its Polaris in general as they are hard to work on and not well thought and parts can be a challenge to get but they go like hell. Their Snowmobiles and ATVs are the same way, they are not bad but they are definitely a Polaris. I have had several Polaris sleds and ATVs that do pretty good, but they sure were NOT built like a Honda or Yamaha. Polaris does stand behind their products for the most part so if you have a good Polaris dealer its also worth a look and like people have said before, Polaris is the front runner in the SXS market because they had the first really high performance SXS on the market and grew on it from there.
reded301
1/19/2022 2:27pm
bh84 wrote:
ns503 wrote:
Ahead in what way(s)? I think Honda would be my first look. Maybe Yamaha. Local Kawi place here has a crap ton of Teryxs out there...
Ahead in what way(s)?

skeef wrote:
Suspension, power, power delivery, technology, comfort... uh pretty much anything. No BS this is my job. I have driven everything from the Talon with a turbo...
Suspension, power, power delivery, technology, comfort... uh pretty much anything. No BS this is my job. I have driven everything from the Talon with a turbo kit, KRX, every x3 in the lineup, every rzr in the lineup, yxz, you name it.

If I was going to buy a SXS to tool around in the woods and I know I won't be dropping crazy money into it... I would buy the Kawasaki KRX 1000. Highly highly reccomend looking into that machine. For the price it has the best of everything you could want and you can pretty much go take it off the showroom, not touch anything and have tons of fun..

Depends on what kind of riding you are going to do. The people that blow through belts are dumbasses that stomp there foot in it anywhere and everywhere without 'breaking in' the belt. I have had 3 rzrs and almost never blew a belt.
This is the direction I’ll go if I ever switch back to a sport model. It may not be the fastest but it’s definitely the best trail car from what I’ve read and heard.
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
1/19/2022 2:35pm
^ It's a good thing Polaris stands behind their vehicles, because they have a lot of opportunity to do so. I really hope that brand will be able to change my mind, but right now there's no way in Hell I would ever buy one. Their well-deserved reputation for high maintenance precedes every one of their vehicles.

Can-Am is another story. I was working at a motorcycle shop in 2000 when they had just released the DS650 ATV. We fielded a Baja 1000 team on one with Greg Row, and his only complaint was that he could not break the thing. This was in Y2K, when they ran 2000 miles instead of the usual 1000. The ATV team was so tired they wanted to go home. They couldn't quit, so they hoped for a mechanical. Greg told me he bounced that thing off every rock in Mexico and just could not break it. That's what I'm talking about.

Yamahas are awesome, and Honda speaks for itself. Like mentioned above, the belts are getting better.
Mx4life320
Fantasy
2781st
1/20/2022 8:06am
Ill def take a closer look at the Kawasaki KRX 1000, and less of a look at Polaris!! Thanks everyone
SEE ARE125
1/20/2022 3:18pm
What’s the consensus on the RMAX4 1000? I don’t want a pure sport machine, nor a 4 seater that’s 3 miles long. Seems to be perfect if it’s reliable. Probably get the XTR version.
reded301
1/20/2022 5:26pm
SEE ARE125 wrote:
What’s the consensus on the RMAX4 1000? I don’t want a pure sport machine, nor a 4 seater that’s 3 miles long. Seems to be perfect...
What’s the consensus on the RMAX4 1000? I don’t want a pure sport machine, nor a 4 seater that’s 3 miles long. Seems to be perfect if it’s reliable. Probably get the XTR version.
They’re very nice, fast, we’ll suspended, tons of bolt-ons available both OEM and aftermarket. Then there’s that 10yr belt warranty, I don’t think you could go wrong.
mx295
1/20/2022 10:36pm Edited Date/Time 1/20/2022 10:38pm
Polaris is coming out with a 4 cylinder 2.0 liter.. I’d wait on buying one until then to see how it is. I’ve had several Polaris’s and my currant sxs is a YXZ. Main reason I switched is one of my good friends is an editor/tester for a SXS magazine. It’s his job to test and compare sxs’s and he said that If he had to spend his own money right now to buy one he would get the Honda Talon. Best tranny and reliabilty on the market. The Talon wasn’t out when I bought my YXZ or else that would have been my go to. But what it really comes down to is preference though.. everyone’s different and it’s your money.
felpro
1/21/2022 12:11am
I love the gearbox in the Yamaha. Sports shift as well as the three pedal. It's a blast ripping through the gears. It's more like a bike experience in that way.

To me, everything depends on what you want to use your SXS for. Ripping around a paddock on your property, trails in the woods, desert . . . Do you want to race ?

I can't stand the sound of the Polaris. Sounds like a delivery moped. The Can Am turbos go like stink. ( Effing fast) and are the best I've seen in the off road scene, particularly the desert, where sadly, the Yamaha is not so good.

I have never seen a Kawi or a Honda.

If you're planning to go hard,at all, get a built cage or you might die. Get that done before any other mod. Budget that into your purchase.

I like mine on asphalt.

JAFO92
1/21/2022 9:58am Edited Date/Time 1/21/2022 10:37am
I know its not a recreation model, but FWIW, Ive been working this 500EFI hard for 10 years and still runs great.

yak651
Fantasy
214th
1/21/2022 10:56am
I thought I wanted one. Guy I worked with said he would let me use his RZR for the weekend. I have ten acres of land, goofying around on my land, drifting around grass corners and stuff was fun. Next day I took it up north to ride some trails. Pretty boring, and those things get hot inside. Couple times came up on a group of others and dust was terrible. If I won the lottery I would get one but glad I was able to try one out before spending $15-25k...saved me some money as had little desire to get one after my test ride.

skeef
Fantasy
1421st
1/21/2022 2:47pm
SEE ARE125 wrote:
What’s the consensus on the RMAX4 1000? I don’t want a pure sport machine, nor a 4 seater that’s 3 miles long. Seems to be perfect...
Those Rmax's are really great machines. XTR trim is nice. People that were buying maverick sports or pioneers have all siwthced to the Rmax. Fox 2.0 with 25 clicks of high and low, bead lock wheels, 108hp which is great for it's class, plus the built in infotainment system is pretty trick if you opt for that spec.
skeef
Fantasy
1421st
1/21/2022 2:49pm
mx295 wrote:
Polaris is coming out with a 4 cylinder 2.0 liter.. I’d wait on buying one until then to see how it is. I’ve had several Polaris’s...
Polaris is coming out with a 4 cylinder 2.0 liter.. I’d wait on buying one until then to see how it is. I’ve had several Polaris’s and my currant sxs is a YXZ. Main reason I switched is one of my good friends is an editor/tester for a SXS magazine. It’s his job to test and compare sxs’s and he said that If he had to spend his own money right now to buy one he would get the Honda Talon. Best tranny and reliabilty on the market. The Talon wasn’t out when I bought my YXZ or else that would have been my go to. But what it really comes down to is preference though.. everyone’s different and it’s your money.
Pro R is what you're reffering to. We just got one, taking it out this weekend for the first rip. It looks nice but it's a go fast purpose built car for open dez or the dunes. Too much machine for the trails imo.
yzken250x
1/22/2022 10:26am

My 2016 RZR 1000. Lots of fun here in AZ. We usually have between 10-16 cars that ride every Sunday.

Post a reply to: Side by Side

The Latest