Should I trade my 450 for this MTB?

snackfedbear
Edited Date/Time 6/3/2019 6:05am
Seriously considering making this trade, but want to make a wise decision.

I have a 2017 CRF450 that I’ve had for sale since February.

Its basically becoming a paperweight in my garage. I’ve posted it for sale for 5700obo on several different platforms several different times with just no luck. A couple nibbles, no bites. Never really got along with the bike and turned it back into stock when I bought an 08 so now it just sits.

In comes this 2017 Ibis Ripley LS.
Custom build with a lot of fancy parts. After doing some research on what it has and the condition it SEEMS like it’s valued right around what I’m asking for my 450.
Carbon wheels
Tubeless system
Carbon bars
Carbon cranks

After busting a couple nuts and having 2 kids, eating like a fat piece of shit, and genuinely being lazy as hell for the past couple years, I’ve noticed the effects concerning my mid section. I’d like to get back in to riding shape so I’m not keeling over when my kids are chasing me around the park. And I’d also like to be able to hold the throttle open longer. I reckon a mtb might be a good opportunity to get in shape while having fun doing it.

I’m a straight noob when it comes to the mtb scene so here comes the questions...

Am I going to be stuck with a severely depreciating toy?

Are my estimations on the values of both bikes accurate?

Am I retarded for even considering the trade?

Will I be stuck with a non selling paperweight when I decide to upgrade?

Do mt bike shops do trade ins?

Am I better off trading it in for a new 450 when the time comes?

I’m lost
|
colintrax
Fantasy
2342nd
5/26/2019 8:17pm
The mtn bike is gonna lose value way quicker than the dirt bike. By all means trade your 450 for a bicycle to help get in shape. I just wouldnt trade for that one. Trade for something cheaper and get cash as well.
motogrady
5/26/2019 8:30pm

You're not sure.
U wanna do it to work yourself, to get the fat off.

Go to WalMart. Buy a bike for $125.00 that looks like that.
Ride the piss out of it every day, 5 days a week.

If you find you aren't riding it 5 days a week, accept the fact that is not the way for u, and U will still have the crf.
If you find you are riding 5 days a week, and can't get enough of it, then sell the crf and spend a crazy amount for a bicycle.
snackfedbear
5/26/2019 8:46pm
colintrax wrote:
The mtn bike is gonna lose value way quicker than the dirt bike. By all means trade your 450 for a bicycle to help get in...
The mtn bike is gonna lose value way quicker than the dirt bike. By all means trade your 450 for a bicycle to help get in shape. I just wouldnt trade for that one. Trade for something cheaper and get cash as well.
Pretty much what I was looking for out of a reply.

I’d like to add that the getting in shape part is just an added bonus.

I rode at snow summit bike park a couple times in 2017 and had a BLAST. Thought about dropping some decent coin on a nice setup after that season but couldn’t justify myself. After doing more research I’ve figured out that mtb is pretty close to moto when it comes to the expenses. Everything nice has its price. And it’s pretty up there.

Is this ibis a good setup?
snackfedbear
5/26/2019 8:53pm
motogrady wrote:
You're not sure. U wanna do it to work yourself, to get the fat off. Go to WalMart. Buy a bike for $125.00 that looks like...

You're not sure.

If you find you aren't riding it 5 days a week, accept the fact that is not the way for u, and U will still have the crf.
If you find you are riding 5 days a week, and can't get enough of it, then sell the crf and spend a crazy amount for a bicycle.
I used to have a Diamondback override 29r. Thing was pretty nice for a 300 dollar bike. However, with the trails I was riding it was just too much of a paperweight and wasn’t holding up

The Shop

colintrax
Fantasy
2342nd
5/26/2019 9:22pm
Pretty much what I was looking for out of a reply. I’d like to add that the getting in shape part is just an added bonus...
Pretty much what I was looking for out of a reply.

I’d like to add that the getting in shape part is just an added bonus.

I rode at snow summit bike park a couple times in 2017 and had a BLAST. Thought about dropping some decent coin on a nice setup after that season but couldn’t justify myself. After doing more research I’ve figured out that mtb is pretty close to moto when it comes to the expenses. Everything nice has its price. And it’s pretty up there.

Is this ibis a good setup?
I'm not super into mtn bikes so I dont know about this particular bike. All I can say is I have ~$1500 into my bike between buying it and changing parts. I got the exact same fork, and a better shock. All I see on the bike you've posted that is "better" than mine is the dropper post and some carbon bits. Mine ain't kashima coated lol

You're gonna have a difficult time selling your bike outright because it's too expensive for many people, but not brand new so good luck getting financing. IMO spend some more time getting the Honda to suit you.
If that's totally out of the question, see if you can trade the Honda for a cheaper dirt bike. Maybe get a 125 and cash to then buy a mtn bike. $2000 will get you a very nice bicycle so long as you dont have to play with "I have the nicest/newest thing" game.
Nighttrain
5/26/2019 9:22pm
Funny story. I wanted to get back into riding mtb but didn’t have the cash for a full suspension, Shimano XTR equipped bike like I last rode before starting a family. Ended up with a 29 inch Redline D-600 that I bought from a kid via Craigslist. It’s an entry level bike but I love riding the thing. Someday I’ll get around to upgrading to a better bike but until then I’ll enjoy riding the piss out of this one.
early
Fantasy
2212th
5/27/2019 5:34am
Keep in mind that as the second owner you most likely won't have a warranty on the parts, especially the carbon wheels should something happen. And since it's a 2017 build it may only have 1x11 instead of the newest 1x12 drivetrain, but idk for sure about that. Also, I think that's a 130/120 travel bike with a 34 fork which is a little light if you plan on the downhill park with it alot. Just my $.02.
mxdude105
5/27/2019 7:32am
motogrady wrote:
You're not sure. U wanna do it to work yourself, to get the fat off. Go to WalMart. Buy a bike for $125.00 that looks like...

You're not sure.

I agree with the sentiment of spending less to get into the hobby. But spending $125 on a Walmart bike and trying to ride it on anything other than gravel walking paths would be like going to Pep-boys and spending $500 or whatever on a Chinese minibike and trying to ride Glen Helen on it.

As for the depreciation, I don't think MTBs depreciate faster than dirtbikes. I'd say both products steadily lose value from the second you purchase it. The MTB community is better about buying/selling eachothers used products than the moto community, from what I've experienced.
yz133rider
5/27/2019 8:11am
I vote no. Id say reduce the price on the 450 to 4k ish and get a mtn bike with 400-1500 of it. Pocket the rest. A 3k+ mtn bike is a bit overkill to me. Those mfg's are really giving it to us with 10k peddle power bikes.
snackfedbear
5/27/2019 9:40am
So does anyone know a legit dollar value to a bike like the one above?
MotoMo165
5/27/2019 10:42am
Seriously considering making this trade, but want to make a wise decision. I have a 2017 CRF450 that I’ve had for sale since February. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/05/26/350407/s1200_6721C895_002B_4678_9F87_0BCE0B3BA726.jpg[/img] Its...
Seriously considering making this trade, but want to make a wise decision.

I have a 2017 CRF450 that I’ve had for sale since February.

Its basically becoming a paperweight in my garage. I’ve posted it for sale for 5700obo on several different platforms several different times with just no luck. A couple nibbles, no bites. Never really got along with the bike and turned it back into stock when I bought an 08 so now it just sits.

In comes this 2017 Ibis Ripley LS.
Custom build with a lot of fancy parts. After doing some research on what it has and the condition it SEEMS like it’s valued right around what I’m asking for my 450.
Carbon wheels
Tubeless system
Carbon bars
Carbon cranks

After busting a couple nuts and having 2 kids, eating like a fat piece of shit, and genuinely being lazy as hell for the past couple years, I’ve noticed the effects concerning my mid section. I’d like to get back in to riding shape so I’m not keeling over when my kids are chasing me around the park. And I’d also like to be able to hold the throttle open longer. I reckon a mtb might be a good opportunity to get in shape while having fun doing it.

I’m a straight noob when it comes to the mtb scene so here comes the questions...

Am I going to be stuck with a severely depreciating toy?

Are my estimations on the values of both bikes accurate?

Am I retarded for even considering the trade?

Will I be stuck with a non selling paperweight when I decide to upgrade?

Do mt bike shops do trade ins?

Am I better off trading it in for a new 450 when the time comes?

I’m lost
Don’t do it bro. You can have as much fun on a 3k mtn bike, assuming this men bike is in the 5k range (at least, cause that’s what that cr450 is probably worth?)
DoctorJD
5/27/2019 11:09am
Correct. Don't spend $4K on a mountain bike when you can spend less than $3K and still have a hell of a bike. Sell the 450, buy the mtb and pocket the difference.
colintrax
Fantasy
2342nd
5/27/2019 11:28am
The value of that bike is gonna vary based on where you live. Regardless of it being a "good" deal or not, I cant suggest doing it.
I'm sure my bike is just as fun and didnt cost me over a months salary either.
snackfedbear
5/27/2019 11:42am
I think I’ll let the guy know I’m gonna want a solid chunk of cash for the difference if we are to make it happen. Thank you guys for the solid responses
Crush
5/27/2019 5:18pm
Are you hurting for cash? That's the first question.

I'd not trade for an MTB regardless – others have rightly said, especially if you are new too it, you don't need to spend that much on an mtb to get fit. Expensive bikes don't go up the hills faster unless they're an emtb.
G-man
5/27/2019 5:41pm
I haven't read this whole thread but if you're going to give up on motorcycles for a mountain bike that is a very poor decision.

I bet in less than a year you'll be jonesing bad to twist the throttle! Woohoo
snackfedbear
5/27/2019 9:26pm
G-man wrote:
I haven't read this whole thread but if you're going to give up on motorcycles for a mountain bike that is a very poor decision. I...
I haven't read this whole thread but if you're going to give up on motorcycles for a mountain bike that is a very poor decision.

I bet in less than a year you'll be jonesing bad to twist the throttle! Woohoo
Nope I’ll always have a dirt bike in my garage. Just don’t need two! Lol
seth505
Fantasy
1092nd
5/28/2019 6:56am
I agree with others on not doing it. It's a 2017 and even if it was a 5,000-7,000 build it would sell in the 3-4k range tops at this point.
JBernard_401
5/28/2019 2:55pm
That bike should bring around 3k here in CO. Its a nice ride for sure, suspension is nice, and that's an expensive dropper. Ibis wheels are pretty pricey as well.
No way I would trade straight up. He'd have to kick 1500 to me if it was my decision.
Bikes get outdated QUICK. A 2 yr old mtb can have massive revisions with a new version, lighter weight, ect, that leaves people able to drop that much coin on a bike not interested in slightly older markets.
But the thing that was a shocker to me when selling mine was how many variables there are in a specific bike that make the market you're selling to very small.
Color, size, brand frame, model frame, build components, condition, ect. You start going down the list and the person that will buy your bike gets narrower and narrower. Only way to counteract it is to drop the price to make it a steal for them.
There are certain bikes that are slightly easier to sell though...Yeti, Pivot, Santa Cruz. But I had a 16 SantaCruz 5010CC and had to part the damn thing out to move it.
You definitely have the bargaining power on this guy.
Moto Jeff
5/28/2019 8:09pm
Do the deal. You are honestly cleaning up here.
nytsmaC
5/29/2019 5:45am
Seth is right. If you can get him to kick in $1500 it’d be a pretty fair deal to both parties.

Ibis just came out with a ‘new’ Ripley. Think of it like buying a 17 RMZ450. Good bike but it’s the old version, it’s not going to hold it’s value.
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
5/29/2019 4:30pm Edited Date/Time 5/29/2019 4:32pm
nytsmaC wrote:
Seth is right. If you can get him to kick in $1500 it’d be a pretty fair deal to both parties. Ibis just came out with...
Seth is right. If you can get him to kick in $1500 it’d be a pretty fair deal to both parties.

Ibis just came out with a ‘new’ Ripley. Think of it like buying a 17 RMZ450. Good bike but it’s the old version, it’s not going to hold it’s value.
This. You can get a 2019 Ibis Ripley for $4099.

https://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear/mountain-bike/a27318218/ibis-riple…

Sell the CRF, pocket the cash. Also, take a close look at direct-to-consumer MTB brands and see what you can get. You might find a better bike for your situation. I bought a Commencal Meta AM about 1.5 years ago for just over $2K and it shreds. Other brands are Canyon, YT, and I think even Specialized is doing a "semi-direct" sales model. You can get a lot of bike for under $3K.
Yeti365
6/2/2019 5:26pm
I would personally say hell no unless you have $2k+ left over after getting the bike.

Check out Pink Bike classified section.

Unless you are looking for something in XL I think you'd be stunned at what people are selling medium and large frame built rides for.

Just my opinion. Do what makes you happy. I love moto, but I have a few friends that switched to downhill because they got fed up with maintaining a four stroke and they couldn't be happier.

6/3/2019 1:57am
I agree with others on not doing it. It's a 2019 and even if it was a 5,000-7,000 build it would sell in the 3-4k range tops at this point.

EZZA 95B
Fantasy
1154th
6/3/2019 4:05am
I agree with others on not doing it. It's a 2018 and even if it was a 5,000-7,000 build it would sell in the 3-4k range tops at this point.
6/3/2019 6:04am
I’ve burned myself once with a cross over sport. Way overboard. didnt like it. Ended up wasting a bunch of money. Got another dirtbike lol.

Post a reply to: Should I trade my 450 for this MTB?

The Latest