Shooting handguns for the first time

Edited Date/Time 11/1/2017 1:26pm
And it was totally awesome! Though very challenging, I naively thought I'd be good right off the bat Blush ...

I had a great instructor - ex firearms trainer for the police, very patient and really improved my technique. The hardest thing was to stop from flinching (you experienced handgun guys will know what I'm describing), I honestly had no idea I was doing it so bad until shooting the Glock 17. Couple of times I thought I'd stopped it but then caught myself once again dipping/flicking the muzzle down slightly in anticipation just before the discharge (hence the low, chaotic group). Very frustrating but of course all part of the fun in getting better.

The Northern Irish people were really friendly (NI is the only place in the UK where cartridge fed handguns are still legal), not just in the club but everywhere we went - to the point of really going out of their way to help us sometimes. I'm not at all well travelled but all I can say is that there were no problems for me, and I'm already planning return trips 2 or 3 times per year.

@10 yrds

The S&W .38 was comparatively very easy. No drama and easy to control in SA.

For the Glock I was surprised at how snappy the full load 9mms were. The range was underground and very confined, and you could feel the shock wave in your feet from other people shooting. Once I improved my grip, and really got my hands up and around it, it was a lot easier.

Couldn't take pics in the actual club/range for security reasons unfortunately.

NI was very pretty once you got away from Belfast. As someone who also loves to snorkel I found some great future locations for next summer.

|
newmann
10/30/2017 8:36am
Very cool that you got to get out and have some fun. And shoot some guns! Completely understand the flinching but that will go away quick. Grab a sand bag to rest it on next time to clean up your groups and then step out from there. You'll see major improvement.
JRT812
10/30/2017 8:43am
Right on! Glad you had a good time!
motosmith
10/30/2017 9:13am
Unfortunately that gun will cause you to commit mass murder soon. I hear they have a way of doing that to people.

The Shop

10/30/2017 9:45am
Hold the pistol angled sideways and close one eye. Nothing to it.

pew pew mother fuckers!
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
10/30/2017 11:11am

pew pew mother fuckers!
A few years ago before the Dodger Stadium rounds of the SX series, a bunch of riders and media got to tour the L.A. Police Academy. Christian Craig went through a video training simulation doing the sideways pistol grip. The training officers were cracking up.
IWreckALot
10/30/2017 11:13am
That flinch is really difficult to tame permanently. At least for me. If I don't go once or twice a month, I have to make a really conscious effort to not flinch.

When I was teaching my wife, she didn't believe me that she was anticipating/ flinching. I told her to line up on the target, then watch her hands when she pulled the trigger. It's very apparent how instinctive it is to flinch.
10/30/2017 1:11pm
shot a pistol a handful of times in my life. I don't think I ever hit the target once. I'm a pretty good shot with a rifle...well...a shotgun, but seriously, shooting a pistol accurately is much harder than it seems.

Flatliner
10/30/2017 2:07pm
IWreckALot wrote:
That flinch is really difficult to tame permanently. At least for me. If I don't go once or twice a month, I have to make a...
That flinch is really difficult to tame permanently. At least for me. If I don't go once or twice a month, I have to make a really conscious effort to not flinch.

When I was teaching my wife, she didn't believe me that she was anticipating/ flinching. I told her to line up on the target, then watch her hands when she pulled the trigger. It's very apparent how instinctive it is to flinch.
Anticipation is a huge pain in the ass. I use dummy rounds in the mag mixed with real ones when I feel like I need the work.
JRT812
10/30/2017 3:15pm

As mentioned above, the dummy rounds are a good practice tool even if you’re not shooting live rounds. Also, work on a clean trigger pull.

JRT812
10/30/2017 3:20pm
IWreckALot wrote:
That flinch is really difficult to tame permanently. At least for me. If I don't go once or twice a month, I have to make a...

I am the same way. I hadn’t shot anything in a long time (other than a raccoon with a .22 a few months ago). Went to the range last week on lunch break to blow the pocket lent out. It took a minute to blow the rust off.
colintrax
Fantasy
2342nd
10/30/2017 3:54pm
shot a pistol a handful of times in my life. I don't think I ever hit the target once. I'm a pretty good shot with a...
shot a pistol a handful of times in my life. I don't think I ever hit the target once. I'm a pretty good shot with a rifle...well...a shotgun, but seriously, shooting a pistol accurately is much harder than it seems.

Interesting, I'm awful with riffles but I'm pretty good with the pistol.
I'm "mix handed" and recently learned we aren't so good at aiming things. I shoot right handed but maybe I'm left eye dominate, making the pistol easier.
10/30/2017 5:13pm

pew pew mother fuckers!
GuyB wrote:
A few years ago before the Dodger Stadium rounds of the SX series, a bunch of riders and media got to tour the L.A. Police Academy...
A few years ago before the Dodger Stadium rounds of the SX series, a bunch of riders and media got to tour the L.A. Police Academy. Christian Craig went through a video training simulation doing the sideways pistol grip. The training officers were cracking up.
SmileLaughing
10/30/2017 5:22pm
Mama says guns are the devil.

Got too many already but not near the amount that I want to have, on second thought nah, I don't have too many. So much cool stuff out there now.

Cool new ammo choices too making the smaller calibers more effective. Add that to the ever changing addition of new calibers, its not a poor man's sport.
SEEMEFIRST
10/30/2017 6:06pm
Cheers for the comments everyone! Smile
Glad you had some "gun fun".
Practice is the cure for anticipation movement.
With work, you never even notice it going off, at least I don't, and I shoot .40 and .45 mostly.

I'm lucky to get to shoot whenever I feel like shooting, but just concentrate on where you want it, with a slow squeeze. Don't hang on to tight, and you'll be winning.
SEEMEFIRST
10/30/2017 6:13pm Edited Date/Time 10/30/2017 6:16pm
JRT812 wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/10/30/222573/s1200_8F6D14FB_3EFA_4992_A4CB_D45917F786AE.jpg[/img] As mentioned above, the dummy rounds are a good practice tool even if you’re not shooting live rounds. Also, work on a clean trigger pull.

As mentioned above, the dummy rounds are a good practice tool even if you’re not shooting live rounds. Also, work on a clean trigger pull.

JRT, a local range sells targets like that except it says "You Suck" in every pie place. Says "Correct" in the bullseye.
10/30/2017 7:16pm
JRT812 wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/10/30/222573/s1200_8F6D14FB_3EFA_4992_A4CB_D45917F786AE.jpg[/img] As mentioned above, the dummy rounds are a good practice tool even if you’re not shooting live rounds. Also, work on a clean trigger pull.

SEEMEFIRST wrote:
JRT, a local range sells targets like that except it says "You Suck" in every pie place. Says "Correct" in the bullseye.
Pinch
10/30/2017 7:23pm
Appreciate all the advice guys! Will be difficult with the lack of practice, but actively trying to go in the right direction with technique can only be a good thing for my shooting (regardless of range time). I'm already chomping at the bit for another go tbh, it was just amazing fun. Not that I don't hugely enjoy shooting the rifles also, but those handguns (partly due to normally being forbidden fruit for me, I guess) were something else...
motosmith
10/31/2017 8:42am
Mama says guns are the devil. Got too many already but not near the amount that I want to have, on second thought nah, I don't...

Got too many already but not near the amount that I want to have, on second thought nah, I don't have too many. So much cool stuff out there now.

Cool new ammo choices too making the smaller calibers more effective. Add that to the ever changing addition of new calibers, its not a poor man's sport.
You can say that again. Im just now getting into it. I purchased 1000 rounds recently and about pee peed my pants when I saw the price.
newmann
10/31/2017 9:25am
Mama says guns are the devil. Got too many already but not near the amount that I want to have, on second thought nah, I don't...

motosmith wrote:
You can say that again. Im just now getting into it. I purchased 1000 rounds recently and about pee peed my pants when I saw the...
You can say that again. Im just now getting into it. I purchased 1000 rounds recently and about pee peed my pants when I saw the price.
1000 rounds of what?
captmoto
11/1/2017 9:28am
motosmith wrote:
You can say that again. Im just now getting into it. I purchased 1000 rounds recently and about pee peed my pants when I saw the...
Peed in a good way or bad way? I buy online and 9mm is dirt cheap right now. I won't even bother reloading 9mm.

https://www.targetsportsusa.com/9mm-luger-ammo-c-51.aspx
peelout
11/1/2017 1:12pm Edited Date/Time 11/1/2017 1:14pm
IWreckALot wrote:

a good way to show someone that they are flinching is to hand them an unloaded gun. works every time.
Sunhouse
11/1/2017 1:26pm
We have compulsory military service here. Many have not fired a gun when they enroll. That’s a pretty good first try I reckon!Smile
After a while a year of shooting I got pretty good at firing the Ag3 and MG3 (mg42 with slower rate of fire), and thought I was the shit.
Then we had an interactive exercise with the Norwegian special forces on securing an object. Holy crap. I thought I was good, but the shit these guys did was just unreal. Sure they used 5,56mm and we used 7,62, but omg. There was no way I ccould replicate what they did with 5,56mm. It looked like someone who had shot 2 bullets, yet they fired 10 shots in succession within 1second all within a 10 at a regular target. And this was a filmed screen with a simulated terrorist case of a loony jihadi driver. These dudes had done it secveral times live in afghanistan alleready.
Sorry for rambling. What I’m trying to say is: good ahooting for a forst try mate! With practice you should do well!

Post a reply to: Shooting handguns for the first time

The Latest