Shipping a car from Mi to NorCal?

crowe660
Fantasy
4049th
Edited Date/Time 11/22/2022 3:44am
Anyone have any tips or suggestions for shipping a car across the country?

My son was just stationed at Beale AFB. He was planning on buying or leasing a car when he got there, but the people he’s dealt with have been next level shady trying to rip him off. Typical military predatory lending type stuff, which I expected. Also, Prices are ridiculous, and he’s only there for a couple years, so I’m thinking keeping his car registered/insured in Michigan might be a benefit. Plus, no car payment would be nice.

I told him to be patient, but he doesn’t really have a way to get out and look at used stuff and he’s kind of stuck on base.

So before I load his GTI up with his stuff and drive across the country, I want to price having it shipped lol. Also, I’m not sure it’s a great time of year to be driving across the country in a 15yo VW.
|
Muttly
11/19/2022 7:50am
I haven’t shipped one in a couple of years. Guessing you’re looking at $1200+ to ship it.
crowe660
Fantasy
4049th
11/19/2022 7:59am
Muttly wrote:
I haven’t shipped one in a couple of years. Guessing you’re looking at $1200+ to ship it.
Yea, I’m expecting to pay more than that, but price isn’t a huge issue as long as I can get it done without a huge hassle. I’ve bought a vehicle on eBay a decade ago that I had shipped and it wasn’t as bad as I was expecting, but the seller handled the shipping.
philG
11/19/2022 8:30am
Muttly wrote:
crowe660 wrote:
Yea, I’m expecting to pay more than that, but price isn’t a huge issue as long as I can get it done without a huge hassle...
Yea, I’m expecting to pay more than that, but price isn’t a huge issue as long as I can get it done without a huge hassle. I’ve bought a vehicle on eBay a decade ago that I had shipped and it wasn’t as bad as I was expecting, but the seller handled the shipping.
2 words

Road

Trip.
crowe660
Fantasy
4049th
11/19/2022 8:45am
Muttly wrote:
crowe660 wrote:
Yea, I’m expecting to pay more than that, but price isn’t a huge issue as long as I can get it done without a huge hassle...
philG wrote:
2 words

Road

Trip.
You have no idea how much I want to do that.. I’ve been dreaming of driving across the country for decades. I just wish it was spring/summer. It’s setup for winter right now, but Sierra’s winter is waaaay different than west Mi winter lol.

The Shop

TeamGreen
11/19/2022 9:00am
crowe660 wrote:
philG wrote:
2 words

Road

Trip.
crowe660 wrote:
You have no idea how much I want to do that.. I’ve been dreaming of driving across the country for decades. I just wish it was...
You have no idea how much I want to do that.. I’ve been dreaming of driving across the country for decades. I just wish it was spring/summer. It’s setup for winter right now, but Sierra’s winter is waaaay different than west Mi winter lol.
Let me know when you’re headed this way…

I’ll get you “very local” traffic info for crossing the sierras on I-80…I have a nephew that runs the winter road control for CalTrans up there.

If ya do drive and it gets slow due to weather & what- not…we’ve got people out there on the road; so, keep us informed.

Make it fun!
Good luck.

Manny
NvHermit
Fantasy
4303rd
11/19/2022 9:42am
If you drive through the Sierra I'll give you some top shelf weed grown by a fellow sailor
crowe660
Fantasy
4049th
11/19/2022 9:58am
philG wrote:
2 words

Road

Trip.
crowe660 wrote:
You have no idea how much I want to do that.. I’ve been dreaming of driving across the country for decades. I just wish it was...
TeamGreen wrote:
Let me know when you’re headed this way… I’ll get you “very local” traffic info for crossing the sierras on I-80…I have a nephew that runs...
Let me know when you’re headed this way…

I’ll get you “very local” traffic info for crossing the sierras on I-80…I have a nephew that runs the winter road control for CalTrans up there.

If ya do drive and it gets slow due to weather & what- not…we’ve got people out there on the road; so, keep us informed.

Make it fun!
Good luck.

Manny
Good looking out Manny! I will update if I do for sure.
mx295
11/19/2022 11:02am Edited Date/Time 11/19/2022 11:14am
I shipped my Dually from Iowa to So. Cal a year ago and it was $1100 but asked for $200 more. I wish I remembered the name of the company because I’ll never use them again. They wouldn’t come to my house so I had to go to Barstow to take possession and they held me up for another $200 saying the truck was bigger than they thought even though I sent them plenty of pictures. I didn’t want it to get heated and I wanted the truck so I paid him. He said he wouldn’t come to my house in Lancaster that’s 90 miles away. because he didn’t want to get stuck and not be able back out even though I live on a Street with no traffic .
plowboy
11/19/2022 1:53pm
Lol...change the oil/filter, make sure the tires are good to go...point that sumbitch west and gas it. Life can be a cool ass adventure...go for it.
KennyT
Fantasy
280th
11/19/2022 2:12pm
I had a nephew living in So Cal where I do and he was stationed in Fort Benning in Georgia. He had a nice Dodge Charger out here and wanted it at the base. I said I’ll drive it there! Took a couple of weeks off and made the road trip and saw the US. It was an awesome experience
plowboy
11/19/2022 2:16pm
KennyT wrote:
I had a nephew living in So Cal where I do and he was stationed in Fort Benning in Georgia. He had a nice Dodge Charger...
I had a nephew living in So Cal where I do and he was stationed in Fort Benning in Georgia. He had a nice Dodge Charger out here and wanted it at the base. I said I’ll drive it there! Took a couple of weeks off and made the road trip and saw the US. It was an awesome experience
I've driven across the country many times. It never fails to amaze and amuse. I love this place.
11/19/2022 11:49pm
mx295 wrote:
I shipped my Dually from Iowa to So. Cal a year ago and it was $1100 but asked for $200 more. I wish I remembered the...
I shipped my Dually from Iowa to So. Cal a year ago and it was $1100 but asked for $200 more. I wish I remembered the name of the company because I’ll never use them again. They wouldn’t come to my house so I had to go to Barstow to take possession and they held me up for another $200 saying the truck was bigger than they thought even though I sent them plenty of pictures. I didn’t want it to get heated and I wanted the truck so I paid him. He said he wouldn’t come to my house in Lancaster that’s 90 miles away. because he didn’t want to get stuck and not be able back out even though I live on a Street with no traffic .
I would've hoped they didn't tie it down right and it fell off the back of the transport so I could collect the insurance money. How much money did you dump into that thing and who picked the color? I'm not trying to be a dick, even though I know I am, but that thing is horrendous. Lol but hey we all like what we like, and you like low riders from the early 90's. If it's a family heirloom I apologize. If not I apologize you blew that much on one of the ugliest cars I've ever seen. Yes yes I'm an asshole. I would've charged an extra $500 just for the embarrassment of someone thinking it was mine. Lol sorry for being a dick I just couldn't help my self.
11/20/2022 12:48am
mx295 wrote:
I shipped my Dually from Iowa to So. Cal a year ago and it was $1100 but asked for $200 more. I wish I remembered the...
I Love 90,s trucks shaved bagged big drop there bringing big money now. I talk to parking lot drivers if they go west they hv drops in numerous states. I would charge 2,500 per vehicle. Truck has to make ovr 20k because it’s ovr numerous days with a lot of headaches with contacts , unloading vehicles numerous times then reloading. Truck has to be legal weight and height. They usually hv 700 mi in different directions once in the west. Rigging up boards on the trl to get low clearance cars loaded, cars that won’t start, that job is a pain. Dot likes to search the vehicles for drugs. 1 other car on the trl has drugs with your car. You won’t see your car for a long time. Bad timing driving the car and your stuck in a storm all the way there. Might get ahead of it but then you get some sleep. If you drive 24 hrs straight it’s a bad idea with no endurance to do so.
str8line
11/20/2022 5:58am
crowe660 wrote:
philG wrote:
2 words

Road

Trip.
crowe660 wrote:
Weather looks great. Go for it!
Ted722
11/20/2022 6:03am Edited Date/Time 11/20/2022 6:08am
Best non-moto adventure of my life back in March. Saw some amazing scenery behind the steering wheel. I was bringing a V10 gas guzzler back to the Sacramento area (from Sioux Falls, SD - 1650 miles) and averaged about 13.5mpg / fuels cost was around $600. I'd do it again, but maybe get a hotel/motel next time (and add a day or 1/2 day). I was wiped at the end of that 30 hour run (4 hour nap at a rest stop in Wyoming).

Go for it!
https://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Non-Moto,21/Sioux-Falls-SD-to-Sacamento-…
MotoCoUSA
11/20/2022 6:22am
I used montway a couple months ago to ship from NJ to CO. It was about 1200. They are just a broker and contract out to whoever takes it essentially so it’s a crapshoot as to who actually ships it. I had no issues using them.
Muttly
11/20/2022 6:50am
I’m your driver, hit me up!
whyZ
11/21/2022 11:43am
Got hooked up with the Youth Hostile Association, took a summer off to bike-tour Europe. The trip started in Newark NJ. and had to get there with our bikes-gear from Phx,Az. Found this place called AAA Drive away. Drove some lady's car from Az to NJ., 1st tank of gas was free. Took a week, but everyone got what they wanted.
philG
11/21/2022 2:34pm
mx295 wrote:
Sweet of him to turn up with a matching transporter.

i dont like bagged trucks, but that is super tidy.

philG
11/21/2022 2:37pm
crowe660 wrote:
How many opportunities will you get to do it again.

Easy for me to say , i can drive coast to coast here in 4 hours LOL,

McG194
11/21/2022 4:34pm
crowe660 wrote:
Ever notice that you rarely regret the things you did no matter the difficulty but you do regret the things you didn't do.

Then again if you give the truck driver a couple extra bucks, he'll go get a beer with your kid. (That line is the closer. lol)
SEEMEFIRST
11/21/2022 5:13pm
crowe660 wrote:
philG wrote:
How many opportunities will you get to do it again. Easy for me to say , i can drive coast to coast here in 4 hours...
How many opportunities will you get to do it again.

Easy for me to say , i can drive coast to coast here in 4 hours LOL,

Takes me 10 to get out of the state if I'm going west.
11/21/2022 6:49pm
Basically a gravy run. For an early Xmas present get the car ready. Tune up, change oil, check hoses, tires, etc . At a tanker co I worked 4 the only time we to Ca. Was in winter. Winter rule is take i40 you don’t want to b stuck on a mtn for 2 days. C4 was his name a Vietnam Vet he said you know how to get to ca. ? I said yeah go west. He said b4 there was interstates this was the way. I35 Emporia Ks. Us50 Hutchinson ks. Us61 Pratt Ks. Us54 go threw Ok.,Tx. Tucumcari, Nm. Hit i40 you can run Route 66 rt there it’s parallel to 40. It’s a 2 lane but has a few passing lanes. There’s still adventure and interesting people everywhere. Like today finally got the last stop off of my birthday curse ld. It went to Durham,Nc. Trk blocked the st in there dock. I directed traffic including a school bus to drive ovr the curb and grass. I drove by the Duke university . After that it was backroads of Nc. To ridgeway or Martinsville Va. I drove past the nascar track. Get lded then rt220 to i81 n. On rt 220 a guy has a crazy huge display of American flags, signs, full wrap of Trump his old lady on a rv, etc a huge old bldng with banners. He calls it Trump town it’s 20 mi from i81. Clearbrook I think is the real name he had a huge sign welcome to Trump town. Haha crazy. 220 and i81 is all big hills and curves so you just enjoy the g force feeling ovr and ovr. A lot of traffic as usual some holiday travelers. Both lanes get clogged up just relax 10-20 min later the passing lane gets opened up . Ld is very hvy a lot of Jake and brakes can’t always get a run on a down hill to make it up the next. Too much traffic

NvHermit
Fantasy
4303rd
11/21/2022 7:25pm
Look how long your legs are, no wonder you're so good at basketball
183Matt
Fantasy
1401st
11/21/2022 9:42pm
mx295 wrote:
I would've hoped they didn't tie it down right and it fell off the back of the transport so I could collect the insurance money. How...
I would've hoped they didn't tie it down right and it fell off the back of the transport so I could collect the insurance money. How much money did you dump into that thing and who picked the color? I'm not trying to be a dick, even though I know I am, but that thing is horrendous. Lol but hey we all like what we like, and you like low riders from the early 90's. If it's a family heirloom I apologize. If not I apologize you blew that much on one of the ugliest cars I've ever seen. Yes yes I'm an asshole. I would've charged an extra $500 just for the embarrassment of someone thinking it was mine. Lol sorry for being a dick I just couldn't help my self.
Classy.
11/22/2022 3:44am
NvHermit wrote:
Look how long your legs are, no wonder you're so good at basketball
Ew there so Long,soft and milky white. Haha that’s a throw back to yrs ago. A driver hits the Truckstop and says where the women at ? Another talks with a high voice and says I,m rt here I,m the prettiest of them all. Then other drivers talk with a high voice saying . No I,m the prettiest I,m the one with soft white milky legs. It turns into an argument for 20 minutes of who is the prettiest. Haha
Motoworld247
3/4/2024 1:39am Edited Date/Time 3/7/2024 7:12am

I had to ship my car from New York to Florida last year, and yeah, driving across the country, especially with an older car, isn't always the best option. I went with A-1 Autotransport for the move. My car is a 2010 Honda Civic, so not exactly new, but they handled it really well. The customer service was on point, guiding me through each step, and my car arrived safely, quickly, and without any issues. It was a relief not having to worry about the logistics of a cross-country drive or the wear and tear on my car. Definitely look into shipping options and get a few quotes to compare.

Post a reply to: Shipping a car from Mi to NorCal?

The Latest