She done did it (help!)

Related:
Create New Tag

9/4/2018 11:51 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/4/2018 11:55 PM

My girlfriend whacked the left front of her ‘07 Rav 4 on a concrete post. She doesn’t have collision on this one.

Is this something I can fix at least to a reasonable level? The fender and light housing are obviously toast. I assume lots of little (and maybe not so little) connectors and braces underneath will need some replacement. I haven’t dug into it beyond a superficial exam.

Driver’s door opens and shuts like normal. It didn’t set off any air bags.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Photo
Photo
Photo

|

9/5/2018 12:09 AM

Can you take a pic from further back

|

9/5/2018 12:15 AM

Photo
|

9/5/2018 12:18 AM

The bonnet door and bumper seem still straight you may be lucky And just need a new fender. Is it bolted or spot welded on the rav

|

9/5/2018 12:24 AM

Deja New wrote:

The bonnet door and bumper seem still straight you may be lucky And just need a new fender. Is it bolted or spot welded on the rav

Bolted.

|

9/5/2018 12:51 AM

Get a new fender and headlight at the u-pull. Damage doesn't look bad enough to have done any wiring damage, 2007 was still pretty new to the can-bus systems anyways. Not nearly as much wiring voodoo as the newer stuff.

Newmann will probably be here sooner or later. He ought to be able to give you good advice on replacing that fender, and checking to see if the structure is damaged. In my uneducated opinion itll be fine though.

|

9/5/2018 1:04 AM

colintrax wrote:

Get a new fender and headlight at the u-pull. Damage doesn't look bad enough to have done any wiring damage, 2007 was still pretty new to the can-bus systems anyways. Not nearly as much wiring voodoo as the newer stuff.

Newmann will probably be here sooner or later. He ought to be able to give you good advice on replacing that fender, and checking to see if the structure is damaged. In my uneducated opinion itll be fine though.

This smile

|

9/5/2018 1:57 AM

OOPS.

Just an option:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/06-07-08-09-10-11-Toyota-RAV4-Driver-Fender-panel-2013-2014-electric-EV/262572266404?epid=656643364&hash=item3d2286d3a4:g:Jn8AAOSwU-pXq452&vxp=mtr

The pictures will at least show you where the bolt holes are.

Please temporarily suspend any normal "holier than thou" types that come on and say something about not having collision insurance (while looking down their noses). :-)

|

9/5/2018 4:09 AM

Flesh wound...don't be scared. A phillips and a 10mm socket is your friend.

|

9/5/2018 6:44 AM

Harbor Freight item 61898. whistling

|

9/5/2018 10:33 AM

KMC440 wrote:

Ha.

|

9/5/2018 10:53 AM

KMC440 wrote:

GuyB wrote:

Ha.

I was thinking more of Walmart item 1297204. wink

|

"We don't rent pigs."

9/5/2018 11:11 AM

GuyB you're having a rough go at it with the family rides lately....

|

"Shifting gears and passing queers" GL

9/5/2018 11:43 AM

newmann wrote:

I wasn't that spooked. smile

The biggest unknown for me is all the clips, miscellaneous widgets, and tools that I'll need to piece everything together. (Attaching the flares, etc.)

Here's the offending pole.

Photo

|

9/5/2018 11:44 AM

JOE_SPROCKETS#1 wrote:

No doubt. The BMW is in the shop, getting fixed. For the Toyota, I'll be the shop. wink

|

9/5/2018 11:45 AM

JAFO92 wrote:

Some of that might come in handy until I get all the parts 'n pieces.

|

9/5/2018 2:35 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/5/2018 3:11 PM

newmann wrote:

GuyB wrote:

The biggest unknown for me is all the clips, miscellaneous widgets, and tools that I'll need to piece everything together. (Attaching the flares, etc.)

Photo

My "go to" kit for tearing down a front end like that to do an estimate. Try to take the fender off before removing the flare if you can. Very flimsy tabs that seem designed to break before the clips release from the fender. Once the fender is off you can get to the backside of the clips. If any tabs have ripped off from the wreck but the flare itself isn't damaged you can glue them back in place with the proper two part plastic repair adhesives. Local dealer should stock any associated OEM clips or fasteners for that one.

Photo

|

9/5/2018 2:46 PM

newmann wrote:

GuyB wrote:

Photo

newmann wrote:

My "go to" kit for tearing down a front end like that to do an estimate. Try to take the fender off before removing the flare if you can. Very flimsy tabs that seem designed to break before the clips release from the fender. Once the fender is off you can get to the backside of the clips. If any tabs have ripped off from the wreck but the flare itself isn't damaged you can glue them back in place with the proper two part plastic repair adhesives. Local dealer should stock any associated OEM clips or fasteners for that one.

Photo

Yep, those clips and widgets are the pain. Not real sure where to source them. Someone here knows, I'm sure. Laugh at HF but these sure come in handy for this kinda thing. Photo

|

If it ain't yer's don't take it, If it ain't the truth dont say it, If it ain't right don't do it...Marcus Aurelius

9/5/2018 4:00 PM

GuyB wrote:

Ha.

JAFO92 wrote:

GuyB wrote:

Some of that might come in handy until I get all the parts 'n pieces.

I think between the two yer set Gibby !

Aren't ya glad friends like us come along ta help out.
(good call Bobby !)

|

9/5/2018 7:40 PM

How to fix future occurrences. Tell her to back out straight until said pole had maintained assured cleared distance. Then turn the steering wheel.

|

GP740
Since 1987

9/6/2018 2:08 AM

GuyB wrote:

No doubt. The BMW is in the shop, getting fixed. For the Toyota, I'll be the shop. wink

But you tried to fix the beemer yourself.
Photo

|

9/6/2018 7:30 AM

JOE_SPROCKETS#1 wrote:

GuyB wrote:

EZZA 95B wrote:

But you tried to fix the beemer yourself.
Photo

I thought it turned out quite well. smile

|

9/6/2018 7:56 AM

I have faith in you Gibby. Well, at least until you show up here when you get done (like this guy)and need me to help you install the light...sick

Photo

|

9/6/2018 9:33 AM

Looks good to me, i hope you helped him with the light and didn’t insult his work?

|

9/6/2018 9:54 AM

newmann wrote:

I have faith in you Gibby. Well, at least until you show up here when you get done (like this guy)and need me to help you install the light...sick

Photo

Is the black paint his guide coat to assist in sculpting the bed side back to shape?

|

9/19/2018 9:36 AM

newmann wrote:

Photo

Ha!

I think I have most of the parts I need gathered up. Pre-primed fender, replacement headlight, an assortment of clips (and remover), and three 12 ounce foo-foo cans of matching color, as well as a couple more of clear coat.

Wish me luck, I'm going in...

|

9/19/2018 10:14 AM

Good luck dude. Hopefully nothing's too bent up when you get in there and start putting stuff back together.

|

9/19/2018 10:44 AM

After pic.

Photo

|

9/19/2018 10:47 AM

Photo
|

9/19/2018 12:28 PM

Donovan759 wrote:

Good luck dude. Hopefully nothing's too bent up when you get in there and start putting stuff back together.

We’ll see. I think I’ve already spotted one fender mounting bracket that will need some “reconfigurations.

|