Shaving/Razor Rant

Chance1216
12/1/2020 10:00am
I don’t know how people can get a month out of a razor. Is that like everyday shaving ? Soon as you lose that effortless glide...
I don’t know how people can get a month out of a razor. Is that like everyday shaving ? Soon as you lose that effortless glide I try to toss it.
I get a month using the Mach 3. I generally shave every other day. Once the little gel strip is completely white, I toss it.
12/1/2020 2:55pm
I use the Rockwell 6S safety razor. It has adjustable blade gap, I use the 5 setting (6 is the most agressive) It took about 5 or 6 shaves before I got the hang of it. Those first few were a bit bloody, but now I cut myself less than I ever did with Mach 3. Less razor burn, no ingrown hairs. The razor is expensive, but the blades are cheap. Overall it has saved a fortune over the 5ish years I've had it. If you go this way, get a good brush (badger or horse hair, no synthetics) and a good shave soap.

https://getrockwell.com/products/rockwell-6s?variant=31626486186072

The important think is to learn to let the weight of the razor do the work. Let the razor rest gently on your face, and use your hand just to guide it, but let gravity do the work.
12/1/2020 3:02pm
footglove wrote:
Try to find an old Gillette Adjustable DE Razor. I switch back and forth between my adjustable and a straight razor and that adjustable is by...
Try to find an old Gillette Adjustable DE Razor. I switch back and forth between my adjustable and a straight razor and that adjustable is by far the best shave I have ever had in my life!
I've got a couple old Gillette Super Adjustable safety razors. From years of wear and tear they aren't quite what they used to be.
TXDirt
12/1/2020 3:08pm
I use the Rockwell 6S safety razor. It has adjustable blade gap, I use the 5 setting (6 is the most agressive) It took about 5...
I use the Rockwell 6S safety razor. It has adjustable blade gap, I use the 5 setting (6 is the most agressive) It took about 5 or 6 shaves before I got the hang of it. Those first few were a bit bloody, but now I cut myself less than I ever did with Mach 3. Less razor burn, no ingrown hairs. The razor is expensive, but the blades are cheap. Overall it has saved a fortune over the 5ish years I've had it. If you go this way, get a good brush (badger or horse hair, no synthetics) and a good shave soap.

The important think is to learn to let the weight of the razor do the work. Let the razor rest gently on your face, and use your hand just to guide it, but let gravity do the work.
That looks pretty legit. I’ve never tried one of these before.

The Shop

Looby321
12/1/2020 4:29pm Edited Date/Time 12/1/2020 4:40pm
I have to shave daily in my profession. I use Dollar Shave Clubs good blades with shave butter, on point.
ns503
12/2/2020 4:01am
I go electric 90% of the time. Is that bad? Just don't have the time & patience for blade & cream stuff anymore.

The other 10%, it's a One-Blade in the shower. Which is still electric, I guess, but sorta like a blade. Can't find a decent mirror for in there though. They all (so far) fog way too easy despite what the packaging says.
yz133rider
12/2/2020 5:30am
I use the Rockwell 6S safety razor. It has adjustable blade gap, I use the 5 setting (6 is the most agressive) It took about 5...

That’s what I use as well. They had a package when I ordered mine with the brush, soap, blades and razor. Still using the pack of blades it came with they’re going to last a while lol.
12/2/2020 6:06am Edited Date/Time 12/2/2020 6:09am

TXDirt wrote:
That looks pretty legit. I’ve never tried one of these before.
I use the Astra blades, which you can get 100 for $7 at Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Astra-Platinum-Double-Safety-Blades/dp/B001QY8QXM

A good DE razor and a box of 100 blades is cheaper than 80 Mach 3 razors. A $10 tub of shave soap will last longer than 10 bottles of canned shaving cream.

Justin314
12/2/2020 2:05pm
FLmxer wrote:
Someone recently mentioned Harry's $4 razors and had a link. I sent the link to my wife and said maybe Christmas idea. She ordered a complete...
Someone recently mentioned Harry's $4 razors and had a link. I sent the link to my wife and said maybe Christmas idea. She ordered a complete kit right then apparently and I just tried it. Its more than 2 blades but it was the best shave in awhile. We will see how long they last. I searched for the other shave thread with no luck but it was recent.
I use Harry’s as well, and have been very happy.
mxracer816
Fantasy
2864th
12/2/2020 4:07pm
I second the Harry's. Good cut, no blood, fairly economical and last decently.
reded
12/2/2020 6:14pm
ns503 wrote:
I go electric 90% of the time. Is that bad? Just don't have the time & patience for blade & cream stuff anymore. The other 10%...
I go electric 90% of the time. Is that bad? Just don't have the time & patience for blade & cream stuff anymore.

The other 10%, it's a One-Blade in the shower. Which is still electric, I guess, but sorta like a blade. Can't find a decent mirror for in there though. They all (so far) fog way too easy despite what the packaging says.
I use electric 100% of the time. I can’t use regular razors without ingrown hairs to the point that I look like I have acne. Every time I shave it cuts the bumps off and we start all over only with blood pouring out of me everywhere. Why the FUCK does hair have to grow out of a mans neck....or ears past 40?
LoudLove
12/2/2020 7:24pm
I don’t know how people can get a month out of a razor. Is that like everyday shaving ? Soon as you lose that effortless glide...
I don’t know how people can get a month out of a razor. Is that like everyday shaving ? Soon as you lose that effortless glide I try to toss it.
You gotta maintain the razor every day. Clean the blades by running them across a coarse towel (some folks use jeans). It’s the accumulation of hair and skin that creates the rough/dull feeling of the blade. Perform this act before and after each shave and you’ll extend the blade’s life considerably.
12/2/2020 8:49pm
Sauna and steam room, for the best shave. I use Mach 3 blade, use them till the razor is so dull. It won,t cut a hair. There is a secret for soaking shaving blades in, I forgot what liquid it is. But it adds much more life to your blade.
indy_maico
12/3/2020 7:25am
alphado wrote:
I use Dollar Shave Club. I shave every other day and get at least a month out of a cartridge.
I use Dollar Shave Club too.

I like the 2-blade option for getting around my nose and goatee

My wife uses the 4-blade for her legs and 'other'

They also do a 6-blade 'Executive' for $10 per month

They send 4 blades per month. If you don't change the blade once a week, you'll start to get overstocked on them. It is easy enough to suspend shipments for a month or two if that happens.

https://www.dollarshaveclub.com/get-started/blades

footglove
12/3/2020 7:43am

I've got to disagree with your brush selection. I picked up a very nice synthetic from Maggard Razors that compelled me to get rid of all my other brushes.

I picked up my last Gillette adjustable at a flea market for $2. Cleaned it up and it looks like brand new!
FLmxer
Fantasy
905th
12/5/2020 9:57pm Edited Date/Time 12/6/2020 7:53am
Don't forget that if you rub a little shaving cream or toothpaste on the mirror it never fogs.
sandtrack315
12/6/2020 4:06am
My facial hair is too thick to use a razor, went electric and I no longer get a ton of irritation or ingrowns. It also saves you money in the long run. One blade lasts 18 months. I have the Braun.
EZZA 95B
Fantasy
1151st
12/6/2020 4:26am Edited Date/Time 12/6/2020 4:32am
They can fuck their gel strips right the fuck off.

*Long time Mach 3 user
Yeti831
12/6/2020 7:05am Edited Date/Time 12/6/2020 7:06am
I recently switched to Harry’s and they are good for about 5-6 shaves. Can’t complain for the price and they seem to work better than the Mach 5 cartridges I was using before.

Post a reply to: Shaving/Razor Rant

The Latest