Shave Nerds

Edited Date/Time 1/3/2020 2:46pm
Just bought my first DE razor last month - a Merkur 39C - I cut myself more than once the first few shaves but now that I have the hang of it I love it and don’t cut myself anymore.

If you’re using cartridges I’d recommend the DE route. Also, anyone else into shaving with a DE razor or straight razor? Show your gear off.

|
Dropbear
10/4/2019 1:15pm
I use a Merkur 38C. Used to work for the Australian distributor for Dovo and Merkur. I use Astra blades because I have enough to last a literal lifetime. Can’t stand using big brand multi blade crap anymore.
reded
10/4/2019 7:19pm Edited Date/Time 10/4/2019 7:20pm
My bathroom would look like a murder scene if I tried using one of those. Not to mention the ingrown hairs once all of the scabs cleared up.
10/5/2019 8:37am
reded wrote:
My bathroom would look like a murder scene if I tried using one of those. Not to mention the ingrown hairs once all of the scabs...
My bathroom would look like a murder scene if I tried using one of those. Not to mention the ingrown hairs once all of the scabs cleared up.
It would the first few times - once you get the hang of it, no raking, slow and little to no pressure its awesome. but yeah you’re gonna get some cuts when you first start

The Shop

footglove
10/7/2019 12:58pm
My go to is a pre WWII Gillette New Short Comb. Maggard Razors synthetic brush. Personna blades. I've got a decent little collection started I will have to post some pictures of sometime.
footglove
10/7/2019 12:59pm
reded wrote:
My bathroom would look like a murder scene if I tried using one of those. Not to mention the ingrown hairs once all of the scabs...
I used to get terrible razor burn and infected hairs like crazy with a cartridge razor. Since I have switched to DE, no more irritation or infected hairs. I actually enjoy shaving now.
reded
10/7/2019 4:20pm
I get em with an electric, I can’t imagine the result if I cut em off any shorter.
motogrady
10/7/2019 4:40pm Edited Date/Time 10/7/2019 4:45pm
7/378422/s1200_image.jpg" class="img-fluid" />

I know, somewhere there's a dolphin choking on one I threw away a year ago, and I feel bad about that.
But a fresh pack of these every few months, half the time with just soap and water, 30 seconds im done.
It's just too easy.

motogrady
10/7/2019 5:10pm Edited Date/Time 10/7/2019 5:46pm
Flipper says he's on vital too, and is pissed at me.

71Fish
10/7/2019 8:28pm
I've been using a DE since I retired from the military but wish I was using them back then. Now since I don't shave everyday, a 100 pack of razors will last a year and only cost around $10 on Amazon. I switch out for a fresh razor every shave.

Never really had a problem with cuts on my face but gashed my head a few times. I just use clippers on my head.
side-pipe
Fantasy
3300th
10/8/2019 8:43am
ive been using a straight razor for about a year now. have the scars to prove it lol.

Its not a full straight razor i wanted to try a cheaper alternative before spending the money on a good set up.

Im using the shavette from the art of shave.
also use a brush and a good shave cream from the art of shave.
The post shave treatment is handled by baxter of California shave tonic.

the shave tonic is my favorite part of the whole set up, it gives a fresh minty feeling after the shave and doesnt leave a sent.

might be time to start looking for a full straight razor.
footglove
10/8/2019 9:59am
side-pipe wrote:
ive been using a straight razor for about a year now. have the scars to prove it lol. Its not a full straight razor i wanted...
ive been using a straight razor for about a year now. have the scars to prove it lol.

Its not a full straight razor i wanted to try a cheaper alternative before spending the money on a good set up.

the shave tonic is my favorite part of the whole set up, it gives a fresh minty feeling after the shave and doesnt leave a sent.

I highly recommend trying some artisan shave soaps if you haven’t yet. West Coast Shaving and Maggard Razors both have some awesome selection!

For run of the mill stuff, I love my Proraso Red and Derby stick.
footglove
10/8/2019 10:00am Edited Date/Time 10/8/2019 10:02am

P

Here’s a little bit of my stuff
side-pipe
Fantasy
3300th
10/10/2019 7:26am
side-pipe wrote:
ive been using a straight razor for about a year now. have the scars to prove it lol. Its not a full straight razor i wanted...

footglove wrote:
I highly recommend trying some artisan shave soaps if you haven’t yet. West Coast Shaving and Maggard Razors both have some awesome selection! For run of...
I highly recommend trying some artisan shave soaps if you haven’t yet. West Coast Shaving and Maggard Razors both have some awesome selection!

For run of the mill stuff, I love my Proraso Red and Derby stick.
Some awesome looking stuff out there and a real eye opener to see how much the art of shave inflates their products.
I will definitely be ordering some stuff soon.

24 years in the Military it was always wake up in a hurry and drag a disposable across my face while in the shower. i also kept screen type electric in the truck console for the days I woke up late.

Retired now so I get to shave when I feel like it and have embraced the ritual that is now shaving.

yz133rider
1/2/2020 10:24pm
Anyone have links to a good set up for a total beginner wanting to try a straight blade?

What blade, cream, after shave etc.
Thanks!
JAFO92
1/3/2020 6:12am
motogrady wrote:
Sorry Flipper. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/10/07/378424/s1200_image.jpg[/img]
Sorry Flipper.

Ditto that. Love Bic shavers.
footglove
1/3/2020 9:44am
yz133rider wrote:
Anyone have links to a good set up for a total beginner wanting to try a straight blade?

What blade, cream, after shave etc.
Thanks!
Check out badger & blade's website. Awesome resource to help get you started.
dadofagun
Fantasy
1962nd
1/3/2020 12:59pm
I tried Harry's starter kit 3 years ago, the Truman I think it's called. Worked like a champ, been hooked ever since. Blades last forever, think I used maybe 10 last year? And I shave at least 4 days a week.....great products, all of them.
plowboy
1/3/2020 2:46pm
My old auntie was a hairdresser. Had a shop in the back of the house. She learned her trade in Vegas before the streets were paved. She worked on men back then. Shave and haircuts. When I got old enough to start shaving she taught me how to strop the straight razor and keep from killing myself. That's all I used until I joined the military and my thieving room mate at tech school stole my kit. I get by but haven't had a "real" shave since....except for Saudi during the first war. Those barbers were fucking amazing. Hot towels, 2 shaves, face massage and a balm that the wise men probably gave to the baby Jesus.
dadofagun
Fantasy
1962nd
1/3/2020 3:13pm
plowboy wrote:
My old auntie was a hairdresser. Had a shop in the back of the house. She learned her trade in Vegas before the streets were paved...
My old auntie was a hairdresser. Had a shop in the back of the house. She learned her trade in Vegas before the streets were paved. She worked on men back then. Shave and haircuts. When I got old enough to start shaving she taught me how to strop the straight razor and keep from killing myself. That's all I used until I joined the military and my thieving room mate at tech school stole my kit. I get by but haven't had a "real" shave since....except for Saudi during the first war. Those barbers were fucking amazing. Hot towels, 2 shaves, face massage and a balm that the wise men probably gave to the baby Jesus.
There is a place near me close to what you described in Saudi. They use all the old school tricks you mentioned, and there is usually a couple old men sitting in the corner solving the worlds problems. They have a sign hanging inside that says "If you want perm, color, or something trendy, go somewhere else. You grow it, we cut or mow it.....your choice". Btw, Thank you for your service!!!

Post a reply to: Shave Nerds

The Latest