gnarwhip
Edited Date/Time 2/16/2018 2:37am
He just killed it in qualifying. Dudes gonna win he's going big
|
AHRMA361
Fantasy
180th
2/13/2018 6:08am
Yeah, I was surprised by the intensity in his qualifying run. It wasn't necessary but he did it to strike some fear and angst in his younger, less experienced competition.

If he can stay up, he is a gold medalist. Dude still has it.
Asimo
2/13/2018 6:56am
When did the Olympics start allowing professionals? The Olympics lost all credibility when that happened.
Spydee
2/13/2018 7:10am
Asimo wrote:
When did the Olympics start allowing professionals? The Olympics lost all credibility when that happened.
Since 1986.

The Shop

2/13/2018 9:41am
Asimo wrote:
What credibility would it have if it didn’t allow professionals?....best of the rest?
Asimo
2/13/2018 9:49am
Asimo wrote:
What credibility would it have if it didn’t allow professionals?....best of the rest?
It was an amateur event. Then they started allowing people being paid millions through endorsements.

Then they started allowing full professionals who were paid athletes.

Might as well have Tomac race Lorettas A class.
Uncle Tony
2/13/2018 9:59am
Asimo wrote:
It was an amateur event. Then they started allowing people being paid millions through endorsements. Then they started allowing full professionals who were paid athletes. Might...
It was an amateur event. Then they started allowing people being paid millions through endorsements.

Then they started allowing full professionals who were paid athletes.

Might as well have Tomac race Lorettas A class.
I’m with you on this
early
Fantasy
2231st
2/13/2018 10:17am
If its the biggest competition in the world why would you exclude the best in the world? How are these people supposed to live without taking money for doing their sport? I dont want to see weekend warriors out there.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3739th
2/13/2018 10:19am
Isn't the point of representing your country at the Olympics mean that you were selected because you're one of the best athlete of your country for a specific discipline and to compete against the best athlete's of the world?

What does it matter if some of them make a living/millions doing a specific sport? You send the best and the best aren't amateurs.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3739th
2/13/2018 10:27am
early wrote:
If its the biggest competition in the world why would you exclude the best in the world? How are these people supposed to live without taking...
If its the biggest competition in the world why would you exclude the best in the world? How are these people supposed to live without taking money for doing their sport? I dont want to see weekend warriors out there.
Exactly. Take snowboarding for example. If I wanted to see amateurs compete I'd just hit a local/regional contest at the nearest ski hill. If I wanted to see the best I'd go to the Dew Tour, X Games, World Cup or the Olympics.

The same applies to all the other sports.
Asimo
2/13/2018 11:17am Edited Date/Time 2/13/2018 11:19am
-MAVERICK- wrote:
Isn't the point of representing your country at the Olympics mean that you were selected because you're one of the best athlete of your country for...
Isn't the point of representing your country at the Olympics mean that you were selected because you're one of the best athlete of your country for a specific discipline and to compete against the best athlete's of the world?

What does it matter if some of them make a living/millions doing a specific sport? You send the best and the best aren't amateurs.
The olympics are an amateur sporting event. Or Was.
You need to understand the difference between amateurs and professionals.

It all went sideways when an amateur is making 20 million in houses, cars, clothes and endorsement deals, because the athlete,

1. Was never paid to perform(Professional)
2. Never took or won money for competing(Professional) (ie Monster Cup/Holeshot check/ 200 bucks at a local motocross event) (Professional)

Todays motocross kids can make 10 million in deals and still be considered "Amateur"
They can pay the parents. They can buy the parents a semi hauler, and a house.
They can pay the dog. They can even put the money in a trust fund, or buy the kid 2 Lambos and a Ferrari.

They can buy all the food and pay all the bills so the kid doesnt have to do shit but train.

It's a screwed rule.

https://www.cnn.com/2012/07/22/opinion/greene-olympics-amateurs/index.h…

The one firm rule that always governed the Olympic Games was that amateur athletes were permitted to compete. Professional athletes were not.

That's what made the Olympics the Olympics.

Until it didn't.

And the fans, far from protesting in outrage at the change, didn't care. In fact, they seemed to like it a lot.

In the Olympic eras before television, athletes who accepted money for their performances might as well have been lepers, in the eyes of the IOC. If it was discovered that you got paid for playing, or that you accepted commercial endorsements, you were shunned, banished, cast to the cold winds.

Would you want your 17 year old High school Olympic basketball kid to have to play against Lebron James or Kobe Bryant? Or a hockey kid having to play against Wayne Gretzgy?

2/13/2018 12:43pm
AHRMA361 wrote:
Yeah, I was surprised by the intensity in his qualifying run. It wasn't necessary but he did it to strike some fear and angst in his...
Yeah, I was surprised by the intensity in his qualifying run. It wasn't necessary but he did it to strike some fear and angst in his younger, less experienced competition.

If he can stay up, he is a gold medalist. Dude still has it.
Hell yea. He’s anniliating their psyche.
Ebs
2/13/2018 2:57pm
It's impressive he still has the drive to go out there and throw down, he's pretty much an old guy now.
dean122
2/13/2018 4:27pm Edited Date/Time 2/13/2018 4:30pm
"Asimo wrote:

Get a job. Like an amateur. It WAS an AMATEUR Event.

The definition of a professional is one paid to perform or takes money and winnings in the form of money.

Olympic wrestlers, and boxers, should they have to compete against conor mcgregor and Mike Tyson? Seriously."

WAS is the key word. Sports evolve so you'll need to get over it. By your reasoning MXON should be an Amateur event also right? It's basically the Olympics of Motocross. Teams sent to represent their country against other nations.

Anyhow, I could give a shit, I want to see the absolute best from each country compete for each event whether they are professional or some random athlete from BFE honing his craft in his backyard to complete. If you're good enough to rep your country and qualify, that's all that should matter.

In addition, guys like McGregor should be able complete if he wants to and qualifies like everyone else. But at a net worth of over $100mil, I seriously doubt he cares about the Olympics. It's a pride thing more than anything and you have to be willing to do it.
early
Fantasy
2231st
2/13/2018 5:57pm
First trick first run was sweet!
TXDirt
2/13/2018 7:06pm
Man talk about pressure. Last run needed to be big. And he nailed it for gold!!
AHRMA361
Fantasy
180th
2/13/2018 7:13pm
Shaun killed it under massive pressure. That was epic.
early
Fantasy
2231st
2/13/2018 7:15pm
Damn instant classic
TXDirt
2/13/2018 7:22pm
Dude is a baller!! Really like his transformation from a cocky young kid who seemed invincible to really just a man who puts in work and gets the job done. Pretty cool seeing the progression.
Crush
2/13/2018 9:52pm Edited Date/Time 2/13/2018 9:54pm
Apparently twitter is offended because he let the flag touch the ground as he was celebrating. Fucking people need to get a job or a hobby.

He didn't wipe his ass with it. He was lost in the moment of 4 years of work and redemption. Fuck me.

2/14/2018 6:55am
And I thought back to back 1260s were the max. And the dude slaunches back to back 1440s. Jeeez.
Donovan759
2/14/2018 11:09am
So I just read online that Shaun White's legacy is being tainted because of a sexual harassment suit between him and a girl that was in his old rock band. Seriously? What is this country coming to. Dude cant bask in the glory for more than 2 minutes without 3 major stories coming out trying to make him look like a douche. F**k you fake news. F**k you.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/winter-olympics/opinion-sexual-harassme…
early
Fantasy
2231st
2/14/2018 12:55pm
That Martin Roger ( writer of the "article") is a real piece of work.
TXDirt
2/14/2018 1:07pm
Donovan759 wrote:
So I just read online that Shaun White's legacy is being tainted because of a sexual harassment suit between him and a girl that was in...
So I just read online that Shaun White's legacy is being tainted because of a sexual harassment suit between him and a girl that was in his old rock band. Seriously? What is this country coming to. Dude cant bask in the glory for more than 2 minutes without 3 major stories coming out trying to make him look like a douche. F**k you fake news. F**k you.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/winter-olympics/opinion-sexual-harassme…
I agree that was bush league. Why wait till he is basically on the podium to ask him these questions? I mean, did they just learn about this as he was coming down the half pipe?

From what I heard they settled out of court. So what is there to ask? And why do it right after he wins gold? Fuck the media and all the whores that buy into this form of journalism. This is garbage. Pure and simple.
akillerwombat
2/14/2018 1:12pm
TXDirt wrote:
I agree that was bush league. Why wait till he is basically on the podium to ask him these questions? I mean, did they just learn...
I agree that was bush league. Why wait till he is basically on the podium to ask him these questions? I mean, did they just learn about this as he was coming down the half pipe?

From what I heard they settled out of court. So what is there to ask? And why do it right after he wins gold? Fuck the media and all the whores that buy into this form of journalism. This is garbage. Pure and simple.
The tragedy is that a vast majority of us buy into this shit.

Slowly turning up the sensationalism of the news over the past 15+ years has molded a society that uses the extremes to build their foundation. I figured it was only the fringe people who did this but I encountered my father quoting the most extremes of extremes in conversation; and meaning it in full. Pretty tragic how scared we all are – and how scared we're being convinced we should be.
hillbilly
2/14/2018 6:54pm
Man. You can have all the x games type events.

I am watching downhill right now where the real men and women come out to play.

The course looked tame but it is delivering especially the Ching bong drop.

Post a reply to: Shaun White Olympics

The Latest