Selling a Vehicle Questions

BobPA
I currently have a car for sale on Craigslist, Facebook, Forums, etc. I am from Pennsylvania, and a gentleman is very interested in the car from North Dakota. He has arranged for shipping and we have just about all the details square for a deal. I sent him numerous pictures and gave a very detailed back story on the car, he is happy and I am happy. We are going to iron out payment details later tonight.

Anyway he wants pay through Escrow.com. For which I am personally not comfortable. I do not want a third party responsible for my money. I am worried he will make something up about the car and they will withhold the funds. I am certainly not signing a title out of my name without having cash in my account. Someone also suggested PayPal, but they have hefty fees. I also do not like how they always side with the buyer for disputes, the seller seems to always get hoses, even if they are in the right.

I have asked a few people, and they have used bank to bank transfers with good luck. A certified check is also an option, but even those can be faked now-a-days.

What would you guys recommend?
|
DPR250R
11/2/2018 10:02am
Is there a company that can inspect the car and pay you at time of pickup? Taking you out of the loop as soon as it leaves your property.
11/2/2018 10:08am
I don't know sounds fishy, I would just sell it local and get your cash in hand before anything....
colintrax
Fantasy
2363rd
11/2/2018 10:22am
PayPal friends and family. He cant take the money back and no fees.
Some banks offer free bank to bank transfers, might be worth checking.
Tell him to buy a plane ticket, bring cash, drive it home.
BobPA
11/2/2018 10:26am
colintrax wrote:
PayPal friends and family. He cant take the money back and no fees. Some banks offer free bank to bank transfers, might be worth checking. Tell...
PayPal friends and family. He cant take the money back and no fees.
Some banks offer free bank to bank transfers, might be worth checking.
Tell him to buy a plane ticket, bring cash, drive it home.
Problem is it is an RX-7 with a hurt engine. He is buying the car for a project.

The Shop

seth505
Fantasy
1271st
11/2/2018 10:36am
I wouldn't go out of my way and be uncomfortable. The burden of taking the chance lies more on the buyer IMO.
BobPA
11/2/2018 10:46am
seth505 wrote:
I wouldn't go out of my way and be uncomfortable. The burden of taking the chance lies more on the buyer IMO.
While I agree. I do not trust third party services in the slightest. I have read a pile of bad stories about escrow.com. Signing away a title when the cash is physical not in my hand/account is what worries me most
SEE ARE125
11/2/2018 10:51am Edited Date/Time 11/2/2018 11:02am
I’m a firm believer that if someone wants something, they’ll come get it. I don’t think a flight would cost that much. He gets to see the car in person and you get to do the transaction in person. Win-Win.
early
Fantasy
2231st
11/2/2018 10:59am Edited Date/Time 11/2/2018 11:01am
Can you get quick payed with Zelle thru a bank account? I'm not sure how much protection there is there for you but it's basically a free wire transfer between banks. I've used it a lot with family/friends but just for splitting restaurant billa, etc.
500guy
11/2/2018 11:18am
How much $ are we talking here ?

Have him send you a certified bank check / postal money order or cashiers check, tell him as soon as it clears you will release the car and title.

or like suggested bring cash and pick it up yourself
vetmxr
11/2/2018 5:25pm
A wise man once told me that if you take the extra time to make sure you can't lose, its hard to lose.........Only do what your comfortable doing and you'll sleep better. You hand me cash, then I give you a car that is exactly what I said it was and a clear title. No car or title leaves my yard without cash in my hand......hopefully you won't lose the deal.

I've bought stuff like this and if its sight unseen, then you better have trust. If things go bad he gets his money sent back to him in the mail..and you get to figure out how to get a vehicle back to you across the country by a guy who may or may not have already messed with it.

Ask me how I know.....Wink
OldPro277
11/2/2018 5:39pm
Bob-- being in the biz,( in Pa)i've done over 100 out of state transactions. Obviously ,through the dealership is a little different than person to person, but I've done those too. Depending on the amount ,ask for payment in a US Postal service money order, or certified bank check. NEVER sign off and release the title until all the funds have properly cleared.
plowboy
11/2/2018 5:43pm
What's the old saying, "In God we trust...all others pay cash".
BMSOBx2
11/2/2018 6:29pm
Bank to bank wire transfers. I see the money you get the car.
RonSkj
Fantasy
129th
11/2/2018 7:32pm
Did his first email say something like.. I am interested in the item you are selling?
BobPA
11/2/2018 7:47pm Edited Date/Time 11/2/2018 8:07pm
RonSkj wrote:
Did his first email say something like.. I am interested in the item you are selling?
Thanks for the advice guys. I am going to talk to a few people tomorrow and get a full plan together.

No, he actually called me and we talked RX-7's for a bit.
tomm55x
11/3/2018 4:59am
Funds need to clear or cash in hand before you sign any title away.
imoto34
Fantasy
3179th
11/3/2018 6:01am
I shipped a bike once and was screwed. Was paid via friends and family on PayPal as I thought it would protect me as mentioned above. Wrong, the guys bank was able to get PayPal to pull the funds back after 4 weeks.
KennyT
Fantasy
233rd
11/3/2018 7:05am
Paypal is the go to sight for criminals, stay away from that.
I would think bank transfer is the safest. Even cashiers checks can be faked. If you go that route make sure your bank assures you the check has cleared on both ends.

I have sold numerous vehicles/bikes over the years and am very wary of fraudulent funds. Haven’t been screwed yet but it is a concern every time. I would say since he called and you talked cars he may be legit but you never know, scammers are getting pretty creative
BobPA
11/3/2018 11:31am
KennyT wrote:
Paypal is the go to sight for criminals, stay away from that. I would think bank transfer is the safest. Even cashiers checks can be faked...
I would think bank transfer is the safest. Even cashiers checks can be faked. If you go that route make sure your bank assures you the check has cleared on both ends.

I have sold numerous vehicles/bikes over the years and am very wary of fraudulent funds. Haven’t been screwed yet but it is a concern every time. I would say since he called and you talked cars he may be legit but you never know, scammers are getting pretty creative
I agree with you 100%, a good scammer knows how to earn your trust. He is going to call me tonight about shipment details. I am going to say a bank to bank transfer/money order/cashiers check only. Then when the money clears I will ship the car.
Ebs
11/3/2018 12:22pm Edited Date/Time 11/3/2018 12:33pm
RX7, those piles aren't worth driving across town to buy let alone the trouble to have one shipped from another state. Must be a scam.

Kidding. Sounds like you are on the right track. I'd just make it clear all the shipping arrangements and details are on him, and you need money in your hands or cleared in your bank account before the car and title are going anywhere. And once the keys are in the hands of the shipper, the car is his. And have the agreement finalized in something more than a verbal discussion, it's pretty easy to type something up and have signed and scanned now a days.
11/3/2018 6:58pm Edited Date/Time 11/3/2018 7:00pm
KennyT wrote:
Paypal is the go to sight for criminals, stay away from that. I would think bank transfer is the safest. Even cashiers checks can be faked...

BobPA wrote:
I agree with you 100%, a good scammer knows how to earn your trust. He is going to call me tonight about shipment details. I am...
I agree with you 100%, a good scammer knows how to earn your trust. He is going to call me tonight about shipment details. I am going to say a bank to bank transfer/money order/cashiers check only. Then when the money clears I will ship the car.
Yes. This only. He can always recoup certified heck from
The back youbcant recoup the car.

My dad got hosed in two bikes. Guy begged him to come down on price because he was short on money. BAD check. By bad it was a fake certified check. With the watermark. Insane how real it looked. Chase told us sorry. It’s not real. Likeable hustler. Trust nobody.

Also make sure the bank doesn’t clear the Check because you have funds to cover. Make sure they actually got the money !!!
seth505
Fantasy
1271st
11/4/2018 1:18am
seth505 wrote:
BobPA wrote:
While I agree. I do not trust third party services in the slightest. I have read a pile of bad stories about escrow.com. Signing away a...
While I agree. I do not trust third party services in the slightest. I have read a pile of bad stories about escrow.com. Signing away a title when the cash is physical not in my hand/account is what worries me most
Ya, what I meant was that the burden of taking a chance SHOULD lie on the buyer more and that I wouldn't use that 3rd party stuff to tie up the money if I were you.

Post a reply to: Selling a Vehicle Questions

The Latest