Self checkout

level
6/22/2019 11:03am
I love self checkout. I ring that shit up fast. I am very impatient standing there waiting on someone else. Would rather just do my damn self.
avidchimp
Fantasy
1250th
6/22/2019 11:05am
The only bugger is you can't buy booze in those lines. My local Ralphs took out 5 check-out lines and put the self check lines in. Total bullshit because everyone in my area is buying booze. Laughing
scott_nz
Fantasy
840th
6/22/2019 12:01pm
i like them, it makes getting stuff quicker,

and we can buy booze through our one, although it has to be signed off by a store clerk,

The Shop

colintrax
Fantasy
2363rd
6/22/2019 1:04pm
I dont wanna talk to the cashier.
Also from my time at Kroger, running the u-scan. U-scan is much slower. The benefit is it cuts down lines and smooths out the eb and flow of people. 1 cashier can handle 6 customers at once. Store is only paying 1 person when nobody is in line, but has the capacity for 6 people to walk up at one time and nobody stand in a line.

When I'd run a register I could scan over 30 items a minutes. IIRC corporate required us to maintain 20 or 25 a minute. U-scan customers did ~5 per minute
neverwas
Fantasy
740th
6/22/2019 1:53pm
I like it because I don't like waiting but it eliminates jobs,I know it's a low paying job but we need jobs for the uneducated or the person in school trying to make ends meet.Not everyone is college degree material.That said I probably use the self check 50% of the time.
Deja New
6/22/2019 1:56pm
These grind my gears it’s all about the bottom line....... but it’s not sustainable. it the trend keeps going people won’t have jobs or have money to be in the lines at the self serve will be empty because we will all be broke......
let’s take more jobs away.
motomojo
6/22/2019 2:00pm
I agree if i am doing it i should get a discount for saving the store from hiring more cashiers.
Kinda like gas stations used to be (i'm old) pull in tell the guy what you want he fills er up checks the oil and washes the window/ while you sit comfortably in your car.
Now you have to do it yourself even tn the rain and cold and no discount there either.
I'm not a big fan of paying full price to someone then having to do the work myself.
Like calling tech support for a computer issue the tech is getting paid i'm paying for the service but it's me who has to sit at the computer and do all the actual work yet no compensation for my time while the tech goes fishing for the fix try this try that etc...

I thought technology was supposed to make our lives easier and more leisurely at least that was what was advertised.
KHI Guy
6/22/2019 2:06pm
When I walk into a Lowe's, Home Depot, ect...and drop hundreds of dollars, they should be ringing my stuff up and bagging it for me.
6/22/2019 3:13pm
sams club app is where its at. See you peasants--at the line--later......

what does piss me off is when people who can't use them, try to use them. Or there are two open and 40 people in line. And one other register.

And also, why are some closed? Open them all up damn. If its keeping your operating costs low do it.
SEE ARE125
6/22/2019 4:44pm
I always go to the cashier. When the cashier tells me “there’s no line in self checkout” I just reply “If everyone used self checkout you wouldn’t have this job.” They always get some sort of “Damn that’s true” look on their face, like they never realized self checkout was competing for their jobs. Groceries though I always buy through their app and use the curbside at Kroger. It’s providing two jobs(I think) and I don’t have to do a damn thing but pull up. I’m pretty sure one person goes through the store getting everything and another loads it in our car. Usually less than 5min and we’re out of there, so it’s saving me time and hassle, while it doesn’t appear to be taking away any jobs.
FIREfish148
6/22/2019 4:55pm
I hate self checkout personally. I don't get all poopy pants about it but as a union employee I feel it's taking jobs away from other people. not only that, the robot voice lady that yells "please place your (ITEM) in the bag" urks the shit out of me. then when i'm done the bitch is like "please take all purchased items".... No fuggin shit, I just paid for them you dumb robot bitch.
Nighttrain
6/22/2019 5:32pm
The Warden orders all the basic groceries online and I pick it up at the curb when driving home from work. She first gets what she can at the local farmers market, though. Everything else is from Amazon. I assume all but the local grown produce will soon be delivered to the house. Retail bricks and mortar will disappear quickly. What to do with all these ugly strip malls?
borg
6/22/2019 6:07pm
avidchimp wrote:
The only bugger is you can't buy booze in those lines. My local Ralphs took out 5 check-out lines and put the self check lines in...
The only bugger is you can't buy booze in those lines. My local Ralphs took out 5 check-out lines and put the self check lines in. Total bullshit because everyone in my area is buying booze. Laughing
There is one lady in Ralphs that will let me through there with booze. She has to ring it up though. It's always faster because when I go, there is just 1 regular cashier and the line is full of ludites who just flat will not use the self checkout. I'm not a big fan of Ralphs. I liked going to Stator Bros but there isn't one around here.
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
6/22/2019 7:12pm
I prefer self-checkout. The fewer people I have to talk to in a day, the better.
SEEMEFIRST
6/22/2019 7:53pm Edited Date/Time 6/22/2019 7:53pm
Deja New wrote:
These grind my gears it’s all about the bottom line....... but it’s not sustainable. it the trend keeps going people won’t have jobs or have money...
These grind my gears it’s all about the bottom line....... but it’s not sustainable. it the trend keeps going people won’t have jobs or have money to be in the lines at the self serve will be empty because we will all be broke......
I was once a pattern/tool maker.
I would take wood, clay, bondo etc. and make a pattern of a piece someone wanted.

Now all that is replaced by CNC machining. Draw it up, press go....

Yet I'm still employed.

Store clerk positions will be around for the foreseeable future, but they aren't intended to be the bread winner occupation.

This is what's irritating about the mandatory $15.00/hr. deal. If you are worth 8, you should get 8.

Go learn something if you want more.
Deja New
6/22/2019 8:01pm
Deja New wrote:
These grind my gears it’s all about the bottom line....... but it’s not sustainable. it the trend keeps going people won’t have jobs or have money...
SEEMEFIRST wrote:
I was once a pattern/tool maker. I would take wood, clay, bondo etc. and make a pattern of a piece someone wanted. Now all that is...
I was once a pattern/tool maker.
I would take wood, clay, bondo etc. and make a pattern of a piece someone wanted.

Now all that is replaced by CNC machining. Draw it up, press go....

Yet I'm still employed.

Store clerk positions will be around for the foreseeable future, but they aren't intended to be the bread winner occupation.

This is what's irritating about the mandatory $15.00/hr. deal. If you are worth 8, you should get 8.

Go learn something if you want more.
Not a bread winner but still a job my local store has half the staff it employed only a short time ago. Out sourcing automating it’s all a house of cards it isn’t sustainable.
71Fish
6/23/2019 6:59am
Deja New wrote:
"Automation" has been taking jobs since there was automation. Before that it was something else. There will always be a need for low skilled, low wage jobs so cashiers today will always have jobs tomorrow. It will just be something else.
Either you are for progress or you aren't.
JAFO92
6/23/2019 8:11am Edited Date/Time 6/23/2019 8:26am
I refuse to use the self checkout crap. They did this to us in the mid 70s with gas. When I was a kid there was no such thing as pumping your own gas. You drove up, they filled you up. (and checked the oil and did windshield if you asked). Then alluva sudden a new thing called 'Self Serve' lane showed up. The gas in that lane was a few pennies cheaper so some folks opted to use it. Little by little,, they phased out full service lanes and forced all of us to do it ourselves, and the price no longer was cheaper and has gone up ever since. (with less services)

Now they are doing the very same thing in retail. Slowly herd the sheeple over the self-serve lane, get 'em acclimated to doing it themselves, and eventually they will take away more human services and charge you the same damn price (or more) and they pocket the difference while WE do the work.

Fuck 'em, Im not gonna play along.
KennyT
Fantasy
233rd
6/23/2019 11:23am
I only go to the real cashier if there’s a hot girl handling my stuff. Gives me something pleasant to look at while out shopping. If some skank or a trashy looking guy is there I will opt for self check every time. Don’t want those fucks handling my food or tools
6/23/2019 1:20pm
colintrax wrote:
I dont wanna talk to the cashier. Also from my time at Kroger, running the u-scan. U-scan is much slower. The benefit is it cuts down...
Also from my time at Kroger, running the u-scan. U-scan is much slower. The benefit is it cuts down lines and smooths out the eb and flow of people. 1 cashier can handle 6 customers at once. Store is only paying 1 person when nobody is in line, but has the capacity for 6 people to walk up at one time and nobody stand in a line.

When I'd run a register I could scan over 30 items a minutes. IIRC corporate required us to maintain 20 or 25 a minute. U-scan customers did ~5 per minute
Only because that fucking nightmare from hell invention bitches about “please place the item in the bagging area” when it’s clearly in the fucking bag.

And the

I fucking HATE self checkout and refuse to use it. I didn’t come to the grocery store to bag my own shit and wait for the moderator lady to come and put her passcode in so I can scan more. Fucking fucking hate it Angry
clemsonsc
6/23/2019 1:26pm
colintrax wrote:
I dont wanna talk to the cashier. Also from my time at Kroger, running the u-scan. U-scan is much slower. The benefit is it cuts down...

Only because that fucking nightmare from hell invention bitches about “please place the item in the bagging area” when it’s clearly in the fucking bag. And...
Only because that fucking nightmare from hell invention bitches about “please place the item in the bagging area” when it’s clearly in the fucking bag.

And the

I fucking HATE self checkout and refuse to use it. I didn’t come to the grocery store to bag my own shit and wait for the moderator lady to come and put her passcode in so I can scan more. Fucking fucking hate it Angry
😂😂 lol. Tell us how you really feel.
6/23/2019 1:32pm
colintrax wrote:

Only because that fucking nightmare from hell invention bitches about “please place the item in the bagging area” when it’s clearly in the fucking bag. And...

And the

clemsonsc wrote:
😂😂 lol. Tell us how you really feel.
Hit a nerve LOL. Can’t stand those things. We have an HEB by our house (Texas grocery chain) and they got some of those a bit ago. They always have a lady or two steering people to them. I refuse.

Don’t get me started on the stickers they use for non-bagged items and the attendant/vulture at the exit. Laughing
colintrax
Fantasy
2363rd
6/23/2019 4:15pm
colintrax wrote:

And the

Sorry to burst your bubble but that ~5 items a minute was with me running the u-scan and not giving a fuck. I just cleared every error soon as it popped up. That was me letting people go fast as they could/steal stuff.
Worth noting I stood at a podium with a desktop computer so I could clear errors before the annoying computer voice even said a thing to you. Average person is an idiot, good luck remembering your produce codes. Much less to take your beer belly off the scale before weighing said produce. Next time you're at the grocery store watch how effing slow most them people move.
SEEMEFIRST
6/23/2019 5:15pm
colintrax wrote:

And the

colintrax wrote:
Sorry to burst your bubble but that ~5 items a minute was with me running the u-scan and not giving a fuck. I just cleared every...
Sorry to burst your bubble but that ~5 items a minute was with me running the u-scan and not giving a fuck. I just cleared every error soon as it popped up. That was me letting people go fast as they could/steal stuff.
Worth noting I stood at a podium with a desktop computer so I could clear errors before the annoying computer voice even said a thing to you. Average person is an idiot, good luck remembering your produce codes. Much less to take your beer belly off the scale before weighing said produce. Next time you're at the grocery store watch how effing slow most them people move.
That sounds familiar.
The first time I decided to try one at a Home Depot, I got behind a younger guy with a few items.
I figured, "This will be quicker".

About a minute in, and at least 7-8 "FUCK's" from him, I went and got in the cashier line.

I don't know what it was doing to him, but he was less than pleased.
borg
6/23/2019 5:53pm
When these first came out at Home Depot they sucked. The new ones work just fine. I was there today. Picked up a Big Beef tomato plant and some bullshit. The line was 6 deep and a selfie just sitting there empty. Grab the gun, zap the plant, zap the bullshit, plug in the card, out the door. I don't get what the problem is.
What will happen next is that they will slowly eliminate having a checker at all. The luddites will then have to use the selfie. Then it will be the same as waiting in the checker line only worse. Much worse. colintrax knows what he is talking about. I have seen how slow people are too. It's painful.
FLmxer
Fantasy
905th
6/25/2019 7:44am
Every single thing delivered these days.

Post a reply to: Self checkout

The Latest