Self checkout

Related:
Create New Tag

6/22/2019 10:48 AM

First off, this is the most stupid thing in any retail location. A small percentage of my purchases is supposed to pay the salary of a trained cashier. If I’m going to do the work myself, I demand a discount (%5)?? I also find it ironic that someone like me that has never held that job position or title, absolutely no experience or training, can ring up and bag my shit fast than the person that dose this all day.🤦🏻‍♂️

|

6/22/2019 11:03 AM

I love self checkout. I ring that shit up fast. I am very impatient standing there waiting on someone else. Would rather just do my damn self.

|

6/22/2019 11:05 AM

The only bugger is you can't buy booze in those lines. My local Ralphs took out 5 check-out lines and put the self check lines in. Total bullshit because everyone in my area is buying booze.

|

6/22/2019 11:40 AM

I would rather do it myself.

|

Ed Johnson

6/22/2019 12:01 PM

i like them, it makes getting stuff quicker,

and we can buy booze through our one, although it has to be signed off by a store clerk,

|

6/22/2019 1:04 PM

I dont wanna talk to the cashier.
Also from my time at Kroger, running the u-scan. U-scan is much slower. The benefit is it cuts down lines and smooths out the eb and flow of people. 1 cashier can handle 6 customers at once. Store is only paying 1 person when nobody is in line, but has the capacity for 6 people to walk up at one time and nobody stand in a line.

When I'd run a register I could scan over 30 items a minutes. IIRC corporate required us to maintain 20 or 25 a minute. U-scan customers did ~5 per minute

|

6/22/2019 1:53 PM

I like it because I don't like waiting but it eliminates jobs,I know it's a low paying job but we need jobs for the uneducated or the person in school trying to make ends meet.Not everyone is college degree material.That said I probably use the self check 50% of the time.

|

6/22/2019 1:56 PM

These grind my gears it’s all about the bottom line....... but it’s not sustainable. it the trend keeps going people won’t have jobs or have money to be in the lines at the self serve will be empty because we will all be broke......
let’s take more jobs away.

|

6/22/2019 2:00 PM

I agree if i am doing it i should get a discount for saving the store from hiring more cashiers.
Kinda like gas stations used to be (i'm old) pull in tell the guy what you want he fills er up checks the oil and washes the window/ while you sit comfortably in your car.
Now you have to do it yourself even tn the rain and cold and no discount there either.
I'm not a big fan of paying full price to someone then having to do the work myself.
Like calling tech support for a computer issue the tech is getting paid i'm paying for the service but it's me who has to sit at the computer and do all the actual work yet no compensation for my time while the tech goes fishing for the fix try this try that etc...

I thought technology was supposed to make our lives easier and more leisurely at least that was what was advertised.

|

6/22/2019 2:06 PM

When I walk into a Lowe's, Home Depot, ect...and drop hundreds of dollars, they should be ringing my stuff up and bagging it for me.

|

6/22/2019 3:13 PM

sams club app is where its at. See you peasants--at the line--later......


what does piss me off is when people who can't use them, try to use them. Or there are two open and 40 people in line. And one other register.


And also, why are some closed? Open them all up damn. If its keeping your operating costs low do it.

|

GP740
Since 1987

6/22/2019 4:44 PM

I always go to the cashier. When the cashier tells me “there’s no line in self checkout” I just reply “If everyone used self checkout you wouldn’t have this job.” They always get some sort of “Damn that’s true” look on their face, like they never realized self checkout was competing for their jobs. Groceries though I always buy through their app and use the curbside at Kroger. It’s providing two jobs(I think) and I don’t have to do a damn thing but pull up. I’m pretty sure one person goes through the store getting everything and another loads it in our car. Usually less than 5min and we’re out of there, so it’s saving me time and hassle, while it doesn’t appear to be taking away any jobs.

|

6/22/2019 4:55 PM

I hate self checkout personally. I don't get all poopy pants about it but as a union employee I feel it's taking jobs away from other people. not only that, the robot voice lady that yells "please place your (ITEM) in the bag" urks the shit out of me. then when i'm done the bitch is like "please take all purchased items".... No fuggin shit, I just paid for them you dumb robot bitch.

|

6/22/2019 5:32 PM

The Warden orders all the basic groceries online and I pick it up at the curb when driving home from work. She first gets what she can at the local farmers market, though. Everything else is from Amazon. I assume all but the local grown produce will soon be delivered to the house. Retail bricks and mortar will disappear quickly. What to do with all these ugly strip malls?

|

6/22/2019 6:07 PM

avidchimp wrote:

The only bugger is you can't buy booze in those lines. My local Ralphs took out 5 check-out lines and put the self check lines in. Total bullshit because everyone in my area is buying booze.

There is one lady in Ralphs that will let me through there with booze. She has to ring it up though. It's always faster because when I go, there is just 1 regular cashier and the line is full of ludites who just flat will not use the self checkout. I'm not a big fan of Ralphs. I liked going to Stator Bros but there isn't one around here.

|

6/22/2019 7:12 PM

I prefer self-checkout. The fewer people I have to talk to in a day, the better.

|

Braaapin' aint easy.

6/22/2019 7:49 PM

I hate self checkout. But I hate shopping also. I never go to the store to just pick up a few items. When I grocery shop I have a FULL CART and I want checkout people to scan and bag all that stuff. Our local Fred Meyer, (owned by Kroger), is now remodeling. They have drastically increased the number of self checkouts and the reduced and redesigned the manned checkouts. The redesign of the manned checkouts is a complete non-improvement over the old design. It now takes 2 people to run those checkouts, one to cashier and one to bag. The cashier can no longer scan large items you have left in the cart. The new checkout design is really F'ed up and not at all efficient. Then on top of all that they reduced the number of employees at the checkout stands. They are trying to force customers into using the self checkouts. Screw that!

|

“Adhering to 1970’s Standards of Political Correctness”

6/22/2019 7:53 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/22/2019 7:53 PM

Deja New wrote:

These grind my gears it’s all about the bottom line....... but it’s not sustainable. it the trend keeps going people won’t have jobs or have money to be in the lines at the self serve will be empty because we will all be broke......
let’s take more jobs away.

I was once a pattern/tool maker.
I would take wood, clay, bondo etc. and make a pattern of a piece someone wanted.

Now all that is replaced by CNC machining. Draw it up, press go....

Yet I'm still employed.

Store clerk positions will be around for the foreseeable future, but they aren't intended to be the bread winner occupation.

This is what's irritating about the mandatory $15.00/hr. deal. If you are worth 8, you should get 8.

Go learn something if you want more.

|

Go for it! Don't let a little thing like fear, or common sense hold you back.

6/22/2019 8:01 PM

Deja New wrote:

These grind my gears it’s all about the bottom line....... but it’s not sustainable. it the trend keeps going people won’t have jobs or have money to be in the lines at the self serve will be empty because we will all be broke......
let’s take more jobs away.

SEEMEFIRST wrote:

I was once a pattern/tool maker.
I would take wood, clay, bondo etc. and make a pattern of a piece someone wanted.

Now all that is replaced by CNC machining. Draw it up, press go....

Yet I'm still employed.

Store clerk positions will be around for the foreseeable future, but they aren't intended to be the bread winner occupation.

This is what's irritating about the mandatory $15.00/hr. deal. If you are worth 8, you should get 8.

Go learn something if you want more.

Not a bread winner but still a job my local store has half the staff it employed only a short time ago. Out sourcing automating it’s all a house of cards it isn’t sustainable.

|

6/23/2019 6:59 AM

Deja New wrote:

These grind my gears it’s all about the bottom line....... but it’s not sustainable. it the trend keeps going people won’t have jobs or have money to be in the lines at the self serve will be empty because we will all be broke......
let’s take more jobs away.

"Automation" has been taking jobs since there was automation. Before that it was something else. There will always be a need for low skilled, low wage jobs so cashiers today will always have jobs tomorrow. It will just be something else.
Either you are for progress or you aren't.

|

No Signature.

6/23/2019 8:00 AM

Reese95w wrote:

I hate self checkout. But I hate shopping also. I never go to the store to just pick up a few items. When I grocery shop I have a FULL CART and I want checkout people to scan and bag all that stuff. Our local Fred Meyer, (owned by Kroger), is now remodeling. They have drastically increased the number of self checkouts and the reduced and redesigned the manned checkouts. The redesign of the manned checkouts is a complete non-improvement over the old design. It now takes 2 people to run those checkouts, one to cashier and one to bag. The cashier can no longer scan large items you have left in the cart. The new checkout design is really F'ed up and not at all efficient. Then on top of all that they reduced the number of employees at the checkout stands. They are trying to force customers into using the self checkouts. Screw that!

I am the exact opposite. I always go for a few items. I cook for 1 person, me, and I don't like frozen stuff. If I want fresh vegetables, meat and bread, I have to go twice a week. Before self checkout, I would have a few tomatoes, some bread and some tuna and get in line behind you. Now, I am walking out before you have finished unloading your cart.

There are some things I don't get about retail business. When I hear the barely audible "welcome to Wallgreens" as I'm walking in, I know it's insincere. You are forced to spit that out while you are supposed to be helping the customer directly in front of you. At least they don't have a greeter standing at the entrance with her thumb in her ass doing nothing. I don't want to talk to you. At all. The other thing is the G!@#$#$% F!@#$%^ rewards bullshit. I don't want to be on your email list and I don't want to enter my phone number on the flimsy F!@#$%^ key pad. I don't want to carry a "Rewards card" in my wallet either.
God I wish there was a Stator Bros near me. They don't do any of that bullshit.

|

6/23/2019 8:11 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/23/2019 8:26 AM

I refuse to use the self checkout crap. They did this to us in the mid 70s with gas. When I was a kid there was no such thing as pumping your own gas. You drove up, they filled you up. (and checked the oil and did windshield if you asked). Then alluva sudden a new thing called 'Self Serve' lane showed up. The gas in that lane was a few pennies cheaper so some folks opted to use it. Little by little,, they phased out full service lanes and forced all of us to do it ourselves, and the price no longer was cheaper and has gone up ever since. (with less services)

Now they are doing the very same thing in retail. Slowly herd the sheeple over the self-serve lane, get 'em acclimated to doing it themselves, and eventually they will take away more human services and charge you the same damn price (or more) and they pocket the difference while WE do the work.


Fuck 'em, Im not gonna play along.

|

"We don't rent pigs."

6/23/2019 9:53 AM

borg wrote:

I am the exact opposite. I always go for a few items. I cook for 1 person, me, and I don't like frozen stuff. If I want fresh vegetables, meat and bread, I have to go twice a week. Before self checkout, I would have a few tomatoes, some bread and some tuna and get in line behind you. Now, I am walking out before you have finished unloading your cart.

There are some things I don't get about retail business. When I hear the barely audible "welcome to Wallgreens" as I'm walking in, I know it's insincere. You are forced to spit that out while you are supposed to be helping the customer directly in front of you. At least they don't have a greeter standing at the entrance with her thumb in her ass doing nothing. I don't want to talk to you. At all. The other thing is the G!@#$#$% F!@#$%^ rewards bullshit. I don't want to be on your email list and I don't want to enter my phone number on the flimsy F!@#$%^ key pad. I don't want to carry a "Rewards card" in my wallet either.
God I wish there was a Stator Bros near me. They don't do any of that bullshit.

Pretty soon you can have a drone delivering your few items and you won't even need to leave the house or talk to anybody. Win win.

|

“Adhering to 1970’s Standards of Political Correctness”

6/23/2019 11:23 AM

I only go to the real cashier if there’s a hot girl handling my stuff. Gives me something pleasant to look at while out shopping. If some skank or a trashy looking guy is there I will opt for self check every time. Don’t want those fucks handling my food or tools

|

6/23/2019 11:46 AM

Reese95w wrote:

Pretty soon you can have a drone delivering your few items and you won't even need to leave the house or talk to anybody. Win win.

Grocery delivery has been around for a couple hundred years. Don't need a drone for that. I'll pick out my own meat and veggies thanks.

|

6/23/2019 1:20 PM

colintrax wrote:

I dont wanna talk to the cashier.
Also from my time at Kroger, running the u-scan. U-scan is much slower. The benefit is it cuts down lines and smooths out the eb and flow of people. 1 cashier can handle 6 customers at once. Store is only paying 1 person when nobody is in line, but has the capacity for 6 people to walk up at one time and nobody stand in a line.

When I'd run a register I could scan over 30 items a minutes. IIRC corporate required us to maintain 20 or 25 a minute. U-scan customers did ~5 per minute

Only because that fucking nightmare from hell invention bitches about “please place the item in the bagging area” when it’s clearly in the fucking bag.

And the

I fucking HATE self checkout and refuse to use it. I didn’t come to the grocery store to bag my own shit and wait for the moderator lady to come and put her passcode in so I can scan more. Fucking fucking hate it

|

6/23/2019 1:25 PM


|

6/23/2019 1:26 PM

colintrax wrote:

I dont wanna talk to the cashier.
Also from my time at Kroger, running the u-scan. U-scan is much slower. The benefit is it cuts down lines and smooths out the eb and flow of people. 1 cashier can handle 6 customers at once. Store is only paying 1 person when nobody is in line, but has the capacity for 6 people to walk up at one time and nobody stand in a line.

When I'd run a register I could scan over 30 items a minutes. IIRC corporate required us to maintain 20 or 25 a minute. U-scan customers did ~5 per minute

Johnny Lock wrote:

Only because that fucking nightmare from hell invention bitches about “please place the item in the bagging area” when it’s clearly in the fucking bag.

And the

I fucking HATE self checkout and refuse to use it. I didn’t come to the grocery store to bag my own shit and wait for the moderator lady to come and put her passcode in so I can scan more. Fucking fucking hate it

😂😂 lol. Tell us how you really feel.

|

6/23/2019 1:28 PM


|

6/23/2019 1:32 PM

colintrax wrote:

I dont wanna talk to the cashier.
Also from my time at Kroger, running the u-scan. U-scan is much slower. The benefit is it cuts down lines and smooths out the eb and flow of people. 1 cashier can handle 6 customers at once. Store is only paying 1 person when nobody is in line, but has the capacity for 6 people to walk up at one time and nobody stand in a line.

When I'd run a register I could scan over 30 items a minutes. IIRC corporate required us to maintain 20 or 25 a minute. U-scan customers did ~5 per minute

Johnny Lock wrote:

Only because that fucking nightmare from hell invention bitches about “please place the item in the bagging area” when it’s clearly in the fucking bag.

And the

I fucking HATE self checkout and refuse to use it. I didn’t come to the grocery store to bag my own shit and wait for the moderator lady to come and put her passcode in so I can scan more. Fucking fucking hate it

clemsonsc wrote:

😂😂 lol. Tell us how you really feel.

Hit a nerve LOL. Can’t stand those things. We have an HEB by our house (Texas grocery chain) and they got some of those a bit ago. They always have a lady or two steering people to them. I refuse.

Don’t get me started on the stickers they use for non-bagged items and the attendant/vulture at the exit.

|