Self Appraisal

plowboy
Edited Date/Time 9/19/2021 12:59pm
As I write this, I have to question my sanity. I'm gonna open up to this board that I know is full of folks that run the gamut from psycho to saint. Fuck it...here goes.

My mom passed on Friday night. We've had hospice in for about a month so this wasn't a surprise but the finality was still a bit of a shock. That's it...finished....done...if you didn't say it, it's too late now.

I watched as the rest of the family cried and sobbed. I was pretty much emotionless. Just planning next steps...coroner, cremation, memorial...the next steps.

I had time to reflect today and remembered that I had the same emotionless reactions when all my other close family members passed. No tears just...write the eulogy, call the funeral home, contact the insurance companies....etc.

My family sees my emotionless reaction and thinks I am some sort of cold, heart of stone bastard. I will say that while I don't express emotion...physically, I'm a wreck. Sweats, diarrhea, anxiety, panic. I know they also experience those things but they also cry and wretch.

I feel pain and loss but it just doesn't come out in a way that others can see and connect with. Here's the question to you fuckers...am I a freak or just one of many?

|
SKIDLID
Fantasy
761st
9/5/2021 4:02pm
I always struggled with death. When my brother passed almost nine years ago I was very sad and mad but kept it together for my wife , kids and parents. A week later it really got me. Not sure which was better.
jgmxdad251
9/5/2021 4:34pm
Your not a freak. Everybody deals with it a little different and imho there’s nothing wrong with that. My wife lost her father on our way home from camping last Monday afternoon. They had a 40 minute FaceTime call until death. Her mom was going to go back to work the next day( she’s 79). We talked her into taking a few days off. Everyone’s different!…….. Condolences for your Mom!
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
9/5/2021 5:13pm
It hits everyone differently, and no, you're not a freak.

Sorry for your loss.
plowboy
9/6/2021 3:44am
Thanks for the words fellas. I appreciate them.

The Shop

felpro
9/6/2021 4:45am
It's called being stoic. Some people crumble, others stay strong.

When my dad died a year or so ago, it was the end of his pain and the end of a good life. Relief. Finality rather than ongoing pain.

All good.
SEE ARE125
9/6/2021 6:39am
I’m sorry for your loss. You’re not a freak, and know you’re not alone as I do the same thing. Do you act that same way through most high pressure/traumatic situations that have people running around acting crazy? It seems whenever something like that happens, I’m the only one that stays calm and collected and uses logic to handle a situation, while everyone else is a mess. I’ve often contemplated whether being unaffected by these situations was a strength or if there was something mentally wrong with me and I needed to seek help. It’s not just bad situations either, it’s good ones too. My emotions seem to stay constant through highs and lows, and never swing wildly one way or the other. I think felpro nailed it with stoic, that seems to describe it to a T.
FLmxer
Fantasy
898th
9/6/2021 8:03am
I"m sorry for your loss. I remain stoic in public but alone i can be a mess in these types of situations. Public poker face, private stressed face i guess.
DaveB771
9/6/2021 9:52am
My condolences. I honestly felt numb emotionally for the longest time after my folks' deaths. I can't help but wonder if your family thinks you're a cold, heart of stone bastard, or if that's how you think they view you. If they've actually said that to you, additional condolences.
plowboy
9/6/2021 10:37am
Again, thanks for the responses folks. I wrote the eulogy this morning. The words came pretty easy but when I tried to read it aloud...I could feel the emotions. It's gonna be real tough when I look around the room and try to get the words out.
G-man
9/6/2021 10:56am
DaveB "My condolences. I honestly felt numb emotionally for the longest time after my folks' deaths. "

yep I've lost both my parents in the last 18 mo.s
Poor Mom was in a Dementia home for 7 yrs and when I traveled to Cal to see my Dad visiting her was REALLY DEPRESSING..... Did not want her to live like that so in my mind she was gone for awhile.

I'm in my Dad's home where I grew up as I type this and both their ashes are next to each other. Have to wait for my sister and brother to all meet so we can spread the ashes and hopefully have some sort of Celebration of Life then with relatives. Probably won't be until the New yr.

There have been times I've thought of both of them and got emotional as I miss them and wish I had spent more time with them.
G-man
9/6/2021 11:01am
plowboy wrote:
Again, thanks for the responses folks. I wrote the eulogy this morning. The words came pretty easy but when I tried to read it aloud...I could...
Again, thanks for the responses folks. I wrote the eulogy this morning. The words came pretty easy but when I tried to read it aloud...I could feel the emotions. It's gonna be real tough when I look around the room and try to get the words out.
Sorry to hear......

When I did this for my Best Friend Don who died of cancer a few yrs back the best advise I can give is to pause and take DEEP BREATHS when you feel the emotions over coming you....

You can get through it and make your Mom proud.....
plowboy
9/6/2021 11:46am
plowboy wrote:
Again, thanks for the responses folks. I wrote the eulogy this morning. The words came pretty easy but when I tried to read it aloud...I could...
G-man wrote:
Sorry to hear...... When I did this for my Best Friend Don who died of cancer a few yrs back the best advise I can give...
Sorry to hear......

When I did this for my Best Friend Don who died of cancer a few yrs back the best advise I can give is to pause and take DEEP BREATHS when you feel the emotions over coming you....

You can get through it and make your Mom proud.....
Good advice...I'll use it. And my thoughts are with all of you that have gone/are going through the same. The world needs a little empathy nowadays.
JustMX
9/6/2021 12:55pm
The fact that you are able to talk about it and be concerned about how and why you are feeling the way you do is proof enough that you are not a freak.

Condolences on your loss...
plowboy
9/6/2021 1:04pm
JustMX wrote:
The fact that you are able to talk about it and be concerned about how and why you are feeling the way you do is proof...
The fact that you are able to talk about it and be concerned about how and why you are feeling the way you do is proof enough that you are not a freak.

Condolences on your loss...
Thanks buddy.
Chance1216
9/6/2021 1:08pm
You’re aware of your emotions. You know how you feel and, everyone copes differently. I drown myself in projects to keep my emotions in check when I’m dealing with tragic situations. My outward appearance makes others think I’m not even dealing with it but, inside I’m torn up.

I’m sorry for your loss man.
plowboy
9/6/2021 1:13pm
Went down to the basement to retrieve some photos for the memorial. First time I've been down there since I brought up the summer clothes/stored the winter stuff. Fuck me...flooded. An old copper pipe...probably from the 1920's let go. I managed to scab in a piece of pex but a real repair is gonna take time. I knew this day was coming but bad timing it is. Ya gotta laugh to keep from crying.
plowboy
9/6/2021 1:15pm
Chance1216 wrote:
You’re aware of your emotions. You know how you feel and, everyone copes differently. I drown myself in projects to keep my emotions in check when...
You’re aware of your emotions. You know how you feel and, everyone copes differently. I drown myself in projects to keep my emotions in check when I’m dealing with tragic situations. My outward appearance makes others think I’m not even dealing with it but, inside I’m torn up.

Ditto my man...exactly.
plowboy
9/6/2021 1:20pm
Chance1216 wrote:
You’re aware of your emotions. You know how you feel and, everyone copes differently. I drown myself in projects to keep my emotions in check when...

plowboy wrote:
Ditto my man...exactly.

It doesn't look like much but that's my distraction. A 12' x 8' storage for yard equipment.
TXDirt
9/6/2021 8:01pm
My Mom passed away mid July due to Covid. I had to write the obituary and also give the eulogy. The whole Covid thing was brutal. She was quarantined in the hospital. I got to wave good bye to her through a video call. I’m absolutely devastated.

It was like watching your mom drown in the ocean for four weeks abs you are just watching from the pier. Absolutely brutal. And I disagree completely with not letting loved ones in to see each other. That’s another topic though.

My mom was my best friend, biggest fan, and well just an awesome Mom and loved grandmother. She passed at age 67. Too young.

I’m grieving big time. Some days I can spend 20 hours in bed. I still handle what I need to do. But joy is absent in my life right now. I’m not even sure how to grieve.

I live in a denial / bad nightmare stage. Still doesn’t feel real. My mom was at the center of our life. This is a huge change and my spirit hurts.

I started a 15 week grief counseling class at Church. Just had our first session and it was crazy how on point it was for how I’m feeling.

It’s so odd how the world moves on, but for me, the world is not the same anymore.

My advice would be don’t bottle/suppress your feelings. Talk about it with a friend, counselor, etc. The worst thing is to try and process it on your own.

Just my opinion.

Sorry for your loss brother.
Chance1216
9/6/2021 9:39pm
plowboy wrote:
Went down to the basement to retrieve some photos for the memorial. First time I've been down there since I brought up the summer clothes/stored the...
Went down to the basement to retrieve some photos for the memorial. First time I've been down there since I brought up the summer clothes/stored the winter stuff. Fuck me...flooded. An old copper pipe...probably from the 1920's let go. I managed to scab in a piece of pex but a real repair is gonna take time. I knew this day was coming but bad timing it is. Ya gotta laugh to keep from crying.
Look up shark bite couplings and a Rigid copper cutter.
1 -1/8” thumb cutters go all the way down to 1/8” copper. Shut the water off, cut out the section and install both couplings. Cut it long to give yourself some play. Cut the pex square with a pair of Pex cutters and push out in bottoming it out completely in the coupling. You’ll know when you bottom it out. If you’re able to solder copper get appropriately sized SWT X PEX adapters. Home Depot carries a tool for crimping the rings. Ask for the ratchet tool and ask the clerk to show you how to use it with the appropriate crimp ring.I believe they’re stainless steel Shark bite crunk rings with tabs and the fittings will be brass. Any other questions feel free to reach out. Shark bite couplings help in a bind. I’ve used them for quick repairs. I helped a friend out 9 years ago and they’re still holding.
plowboy
9/7/2021 6:29am
Lol...great minds...I bought the shark bite, pex and crimper tool but my leak is from an iron pipe with a brass fitting in it. Headed 50 miles back to HD for more bits. That pex is magic stuff.
plowboy
9/7/2021 11:14am
I wanted to say thanks for all the heartfelt and knowledgeable replies. They are very much appreciated. I'm going to be busy as a one armed paper hanger for the rest of the week so if you post and I don't reply...I will when things slow down. Just learned that my youngest gal is moving back home...big break-up. This was NOT part of my retirement planning. I can't complain about a boring life.Wink Btw...there is a $10K race at Jeeps motorcycle club this weekend (Wichita). Easy money for fast boys.
a22
9/7/2021 7:07pm
TXDirt wrote:
My Mom passed away mid July due to Covid. I had to write the obituary and also give the eulogy. The whole Covid thing was brutal...
My Mom passed away mid July due to Covid. I had to write the obituary and also give the eulogy. The whole Covid thing was brutal. She was quarantined in the hospital. I got to wave good bye to her through a video call. I’m absolutely devastated.

It was like watching your mom drown in the ocean for four weeks abs you are just watching from the pier. Absolutely brutal. And I disagree completely with not letting loved ones in to see each other. That’s another topic though.

My mom was my best friend, biggest fan, and well just an awesome Mom and loved grandmother. She passed at age 67. Too young.

I’m grieving big time. Some days I can spend 20 hours in bed. I still handle what I need to do. But joy is absent in my life right now. I’m not even sure how to grieve.

I live in a denial / bad nightmare stage. Still doesn’t feel real. My mom was at the center of our life. This is a huge change and my spirit hurts.

I started a 15 week grief counseling class at Church. Just had our first session and it was crazy how on point it was for how I’m feeling.

It’s so odd how the world moves on, but for me, the world is not the same anymore.

My advice would be don’t bottle/suppress your feelings. Talk about it with a friend, counselor, etc. The worst thing is to try and process it on your own.

Just my opinion.

Really so sorry to hear of your loss, as well as these other sad threads and subjects. Life is so hard at times, especially when we have to deal with these things.
God bless to you and your family at these times. Really made me think if I lost my Mom, as you say, best friend and fan, Moms always look out for you. Cannot imagine but hope you get through this as well as can be expected.

Take care and will say some prayers. God bless to you and your family.
TXDirt
9/9/2021 4:42pm
TXDirt wrote:
My Mom passed away mid July due to Covid. I had to write the obituary and also give the eulogy. The whole Covid thing was brutal...

Just my opinion.

a22 wrote:
Really so sorry to hear of your loss, as well as these other sad threads and subjects. Life is so hard at times, especially when we...
Really so sorry to hear of your loss, as well as these other sad threads and subjects. Life is so hard at times, especially when we have to deal with these things.
God bless to you and your family at these times. Really made me think if I lost my Mom, as you say, best friend and fan, Moms always look out for you. Cannot imagine but hope you get through this as well as can be expected.

Take care and will say some prayers. God bless to you and your family.
Thank you for your note. Appreciate it brother. Tough times….
a22
9/10/2021 2:59pm
TXDirt wrote:
Thank you for your note. Appreciate it brother. Tough times….
Take care man- its so sad and really hope somehow things get better for you and anyone else who is also going through this stuff. I cannot imagine this happen but sort of can imagine it and the impact it can have.

Sending prayers to you and anyone else who is in this difficult position.
harescrambled
Fantasy
1942nd
9/10/2021 3:22pm
plowboy wrote:
I wanted to say thanks for all the heartfelt and knowledgeable replies. They are very much appreciated. I'm going to be busy as a one armed...
I wanted to say thanks for all the heartfelt and knowledgeable replies. They are very much appreciated. I'm going to be busy as a one armed paper hanger for the rest of the week so if you post and I don't reply...I will when things slow down. Just learned that my youngest gal is moving back home...big break-up. This was NOT part of my retirement planning. I can't complain about a boring life.Wink Btw...there is a $10K race at Jeeps motorcycle club this weekend (Wichita). Easy money for fast boys.
Sorry to hear of your loss....it's been a minute since I've been around. You're not a freak...you're not made of stone. You're the one who holds shit together when everyone else is falling apart. (You're also not alone in that regard....men do that....we cry in private. Someone has to get the practical shit done). My dad was hit by a car and died in October last year.....I lost an uncle to Covid 2 weeks ago....one who meant a great deal to me. So ya...it just piles on. We deal with it and move on.

As for the daughter moving back in....count your blessings. The breakup aspect sucks bollocks, but look at the positive...you'll get to spend more time with her. (Wish I could with mine.....although I'd rather neither one had to deal with a big breakup).

At any rate...these times we're in....just effin' crazy at times. Just dont forget....you're part of a community here. Us moto brothers do not leave each other high and dry. We're here for you.
plowboy
9/10/2021 3:28pm
I am just overwhelmed by the positive and empathetic responses. You fellers are awesome. Thank you all.
TXDirt
9/10/2021 5:25pm
plowboy wrote:
I am just overwhelmed by the positive and empathetic responses. You fellers are awesome. Thank you all.
Sorry if I hijacked your thread at all. I just wanted to share. I hope you and your family find peace.
plowboy
9/10/2021 6:06pm
plowboy wrote:
TXDirt wrote:
Sorry if I hijacked your thread at all. I just wanted to share. I hope you and your family find peace.
No way man. I started it to get input and thoughts. It's all good.
Boomslang
Fantasy
548th
9/12/2021 3:14am
plowboy wrote:
As I write this, I have to question my sanity. I'm gonna open up to this board that I know is full of folks that run...
As I write this, I have to question my sanity. I'm gonna open up to this board that I know is full of folks that run the gamut from psycho to saint. Fuck it...here goes.

My mom passed on Friday night. We've had hospice in for about a month so this wasn't a surprise but the finality was still a bit of a shock. That's it...finished....done...if you didn't say it, it's too late now.

I watched as the rest of the family cried and sobbed. I was pretty much emotionless. Just planning next steps...coroner, cremation, memorial...the next steps.

I had time to reflect today and remembered that I had the same emotionless reactions when all my other close family members passed. No tears just...write the eulogy, call the funeral home, contact the insurance companies....etc.

My family sees my emotionless reaction and thinks I am some sort of cold, heart of stone bastard. I will say that while I don't express emotion...physically, I'm a wreck. Sweats, diarrhea, anxiety, panic. I know they also experience those things but they also cry and wretch.

I feel pain and loss but it just doesn't come out in a way that others can see and connect with. Here's the question to you fuckers...am I a freak or just one of many?

I'm also a mental wreck which I try my best to hide. PTSD, Anxiety, depression and this may sound unusual but I don't do funerals....refuse point blank. I don't see the point. I prefer to remember the happier times.

My mother was partly insane and to make matters worse she drank waaay to much. She set our house alight once, another time she emptied a CZ 75 9mm at me at me in the house. Another time she let loose with a R1 assualt rifle at me in a confined area (dining room and lounge) fortunately she was pissed and missed me but the lounge was trashed. My dad had to restrain her and call the cops.

I hated going to school. Coming from a small village everyone knew.

To get away I joined the army. Ended up in the border war against the Swapo and Cubans...saw to much to young which to this day effects me.

I'm 50 and my struggle continues. If it were not for my two lovely daughters I would have used the rope long time ago.

I'm dependent on tablets....Bromazepam - Bromazepam, sold under many brand names, is a benzodiazepine. It is mainly an anti-anxiety agent with similar side effects to diazepam. In addition to being used to treat anxiety or panic states, bromazepam may be used as a premedicant prior to minor surgery. They help take the edge off.

You are not alone. Most of us have issues.

Post a reply to: Self Appraisal

The Latest