Seen this Rivian electric truck?

colintrax
Fantasy
2302nd
12/10/2018 11:59pm
Mr. G wrote:
Here is what they should do. And they should do this with 3/4 and 1 ton work trucks. Copy how trains work. Big diesel generator that...
Here is what they should do. And they should do this with 3/4 and 1 ton work trucks. Copy how trains work. Big diesel generator that powers electric motors. You can have the diesel run on natural gas if you like and you would get a TON of torque!
I've been saying this since I was little dumbass kid in middle school. A generator set up is more fuel efficient, requires less maintenance, and typically live longer. With a small battery (say good for 50 miles) you can run down to the grocery store, or post office and not burn a drop of gas.

Chevy did it with the volt and for whatever reason it ain't caught on.
tcannon521
Fantasy
1301st
12/11/2018 10:28am Edited Date/Time 12/11/2018 10:31am
Mr. G wrote:
Here is what they should do. And they should do this with 3/4 and 1 ton work trucks. Copy how trains work. Big diesel generator that...
Here is what they should do. And they should do this with 3/4 and 1 ton work trucks. Copy how trains work. Big diesel generator that powers electric motors. You can have the diesel run on natural gas if you like and you would get a TON of torque!
colintrax wrote:
I've been saying this since I was little dumbass kid in middle school. A generator set up is more fuel efficient, requires less maintenance, and typically...
I've been saying this since I was little dumbass kid in middle school. A generator set up is more fuel efficient, requires less maintenance, and typically live longer. With a small battery (say good for 50 miles) you can run down to the grocery store, or post office and not burn a drop of gas.

You mean like the BMW i3 and Chevy Volt? That system was a decent bridge to the future but now full electric is way more efficient and cost effective

The Chevy Bolt has been discontinued and the i3 REX has been discontinued in most markets but they still make the battery only option.
colintrax
Fantasy
2302nd
12/11/2018 10:58am
tcannon521 wrote:
You mean like the BMW i3 and Chevy Volt? That system was a decent bridge to the future but now full electric is way more efficient...
You mean like the BMW i3 and Chevy Volt? That system was a decent bridge to the future but now full electric is way more efficient and cost effective

The Chevy Bolt has been discontinued and the i3 REX has been discontinued in most markets but they still make the battery only option.
The fuck you talking about? Electric is the same efficiency regardless of being charged with an extension cord or an on board generator. The point of the generator is get people over the range anxiety and make 800+miles a day possible. Something important to the truck market.

The Shop

early
Fantasy
2139th
12/11/2018 1:12pm
colintrax wrote:
The fuck you talking about? Electric is the same efficiency regardless of being charged with an extension cord or an on board generator. The point of...
The fuck you talking about? Electric is the same efficiency regardless of being charged with an extension cord or an on board generator. The point of the generator is get people over the range anxiety and make 800+miles a day possible. Something important to the truck market.
The Chevy Volt got about 35mpg after the battery was drained. About 2 or 3 mpg better than the Cruze it was based on all for the low low added cost of about $15k.
tcannon521
Fantasy
1301st
12/11/2018 1:47pm Edited Date/Time 12/11/2018 2:43pm
colintrax wrote:
The fuck you talking about? Electric is the same efficiency regardless of being charged with an extension cord or an on board generator. The point of...
early wrote:
The Chevy Volt got about 35mpg after the battery was drained. About 2 or 3 mpg better than the Cruze it was based on all for...
The Chevy Volt got about 35mpg after the battery was drained. About 2 or 3 mpg better than the Cruze it was based on all for the low low added cost of about $15k.
Thanks Early!!

Colintrax, above costs duel power systems have the added weight, complexity, components and then still has to be emissions compliant. BMW failed pretty badly with their i3 REX. It was notorious for not being able to generate enough power to maintain highway speeds and run climate systems.

Based on your comments, I guess it is safe to say you’ve never driven an electric vehicle? I have easily done 600 miles a day in the Tesla.
tcannon521
Fantasy
1301st
12/11/2018 1:51pm
Jrewing wrote:
Why don’t they make the roof and bonnet out of solar charging material?? Could make it look like carbon like I suppose .
It’s great in theory but unfortunately still a pipe dream. The energy captured from those solar arrays would give the vehicle another 5-10 miles in perfect conditions a day. This is without taking into account the added weight for the components.

Lots hope it’s a viable option down the road but that road is many years away.
XXVoid MainXX
12/11/2018 1:56pm
There actually is a car company that will be doing that. However, the amount of energy gained is really only useful to counteract phantom draw, which may actually be worthwhile.
Mr. G
12/11/2018 2:16pm
Mr. G wrote:
colintrax wrote:
I've been saying this since I was little dumbass kid in middle school. A generator set up is more fuel efficient, requires less maintenance, and typically...

I guess I'm a little late to the party.
tcannon521
Fantasy
1301st
12/11/2018 2:24pm
There actually is a car company that will be doing that. However, the amount of energy gained is really only useful to counteract phantom draw, which...
There actually is a car company that will be doing that. However, the amount of energy gained is really only useful to counteract phantom draw, which may actually be worthwhile.
I assume you mean solar. Toyota did it on some Prius models for cabin temperature management and Fisker did it as well.
early
Fantasy
2139th
12/11/2018 2:24pm
tcannon521 wrote:
Thanks Early!! Colintrax, above costs duel power systems have the added weight, complexity, components and then still has to be emissions compliant. BMW failed pretty badly...
Thanks Early!!

Colintrax, above costs duel power systems have the added weight, complexity, components and then still has to be emissions compliant. BMW failed pretty badly with their i3 REX. It was notorious for not being able to generate enough power to maintain highway speeds and run climate systems.

Based on your comments, I guess it is safe to say you’ve never driven an electric vehicle? I have easily done 600 miles a day in the Tesla.
I have never driven a Tesla but I have logged, behind the wheel, about 60 miles on public roads in a prototype 2 seat full electric car, and 40 miles in an electric truck conversion. I'm not an electric hater (although I don't see myself in one for a long time due to the cost).

When Chevy introduced the Volt that had an electric range of about 25 miles and an efficiency of 35 mpg, Toyota already had over 10 years of experience in with the Prius that was getting almost 50 mpg for a significantly lower purchase price. Is it really worth the added complexity and price to save 1/2 gallon of gas per full charge? I don't know if a generator-motor setup in a truck would work any better given the possible torque advantage. I think it's probably possible to be more efficient in a 1 ton truck but you will also need to provide for a serious and sustained current draw.
tcannon521
Fantasy
1301st
12/11/2018 2:45pm Edited Date/Time 12/11/2018 2:50pm
early wrote:
I have never driven a Tesla but I have logged, behind the wheel, about 60 miles on public roads in a prototype 2 seat full electric...
I have never driven a Tesla but I have logged, behind the wheel, about 60 miles on public roads in a prototype 2 seat full electric car, and 40 miles in an electric truck conversion. I'm not an electric hater (although I don't see myself in one for a long time due to the cost).

When Chevy introduced the Volt that had an electric range of about 25 miles and an efficiency of 35 mpg, Toyota already had over 10 years of experience in with the Prius that was getting almost 50 mpg for a significantly lower purchase price. Is it really worth the added complexity and price to save 1/2 gallon of gas per full charge? I don't know if a generator-motor setup in a truck would work any better given the possible torque advantage. I think it's probably possible to be more efficient in a 1 ton truck but you will also need to provide for a serious and sustained current draw.
Sorry, my spacing went away for some reason. I was saying thanks for stating the obvious on the volt. The rest was for colintrax and I updated my original post to better reflect the difference.

As for electric trucks, don’t be surprised if by 2021 there’s a lot of viable options available for electric trucks. Tesla will probably show off their prototype in 2019 at the latest 2020.
XXVoid MainXX
12/11/2018 3:05pm
There actually is a car company that will be doing that. However, the amount of energy gained is really only useful to counteract phantom draw, which...
tcannon521 wrote:
I assume you mean solar. Toyota did it on some Prius models for cabin temperature management and Fisker did it as well.
Yes, the Sono Sion is doing that. There isn't enough surface area on a car to generate enough energy to power the car but that doens't mean the little energy that it can produce isn't useful. Here's the car about to go into production:

https://sonomotors.com/sion.html/
tcannon521
Fantasy
1301st
12/11/2018 3:49pm Edited Date/Time 12/11/2018 3:51pm
tcannon521 wrote:
Yes, the Sono Sion is doing that. There isn't enough surface area on a car to generate enough energy to power the car but that doens't...
Yes, the Sono Sion is doing that. There isn't enough surface area on a car to generate enough energy to power the car but that doens't mean the little energy that it can produce isn't useful. Here's the car about to go into production:

https://sonomotors.com/sion.html/
Weight is the biggest issue but I hope one day solar gets efficient enough to charge at the same rate as output.
colintrax
Fantasy
2302nd
12/11/2018 4:43pm
tcannon521 wrote:
Thanks Early!! Colintrax, above costs duel power systems have the added weight, complexity, components and then still has to be emissions compliant. BMW failed pretty badly...
Thanks Early!!

I have not driven a Tesla or any electric cars, live in truck country. Hell I only know one guy with an electric car, a coworker driving a 10 year nissan leaf.
The lack of range makes them a bad solution around here, and well rednecks dont like cars.
I dont think it's fair to use the chevys and bmws poor performance as a standard to place all generator charged cars on. Instead they're a solid proof of concept, I'd like to see continued and improved upon. They had teething problems no doubt. But let's be honest here, a battery only has as much power as it can have when you unplug. A generator can keep an electric car going as long as you have gas. And done appropriately is more fuel efficient. Trains and boats havent been doing this for years for shits and giggles. It's just common knowledge that an engine holding a steady load/rpm is more efficient than one that's got a variable load. Stick shifts are losing to autos largely because of shifting, lifting your foot off the gas pedal and then back in causes a huge decrease in fuel efficiency. Autos can keep the engine loaded, and minimize rpm change during a shift. That's why modern stick shifts will hold the throttle when you push the clutch in.
So yeah, a generator adds weight and a bit of complexity to the overall car. But no more so than a hybrid.
IMO it's the future. Particularly for trucks who are gonna eat through batteries quickly and need extended ranges. The idea lends itself to other generators including hydrogen, propane, diesel, gasoline, natural gas, and who knows what.
colintrax
Fantasy
2302nd
12/11/2018 4:51pm Edited Date/Time 12/11/2018 4:51pm
I'd also like to point out the volt is said to get over 40mpg and a range of 53miles.
My daily commute is right around 80 miles, no charging at work. So I'd burn around 3/4 of a gallon. Compared to my colorado burning over 3 gallons a day... unfortunately I tried driving a car and just cant do it. Little piece of shit did get 44mpg though and it was awesome
tcannon521
Fantasy
1301st
12/26/2018 11:44am
tcannon521 wrote:
Thanks Early!!

colintrax wrote:
I have not driven a Tesla or any electric cars, live in truck country. Hell I only know one guy with an electric car, a coworker...
I have not driven a Tesla or any electric cars, live in truck country. Hell I only know one guy with an electric car, a coworker driving a 10 year nissan leaf.
The lack of range makes them a bad solution around here, and well rednecks dont like cars.
I dont think it's fair to use the chevys and bmws poor performance as a standard to place all generator charged cars on. Instead they're a solid proof of concept, I'd like to see continued and improved upon. They had teething problems no doubt. But let's be honest here, a battery only has as much power as it can have when you unplug. A generator can keep an electric car going as long as you have gas. And done appropriately is more fuel efficient. Trains and boats havent been doing this for years for shits and giggles. It's just common knowledge that an engine holding a steady load/rpm is more efficient than one that's got a variable load. Stick shifts are losing to autos largely because of shifting, lifting your foot off the gas pedal and then back in causes a huge decrease in fuel efficiency. Autos can keep the engine loaded, and minimize rpm change during a shift. That's why modern stick shifts will hold the throttle when you push the clutch in.
So yeah, a generator adds weight and a bit of complexity to the overall car. But no more so than a hybrid.
IMO it's the future. Particularly for trucks who are gonna eat through batteries quickly and need extended ranges. The idea lends itself to other generators including hydrogen, propane, diesel, gasoline, natural gas, and who knows what.
I want to provide a detailed response to this but I’m waiting for December sales numbers so we can look at it for the complete year.
JAFO92
12/26/2018 3:25pm
Fancy looking grocery getter.
yz133rider
12/26/2018 3:39pm
Id think that pick up trucks could have batteries under the bed, tons of space there. Id like to see a hybrid truck before all electric. Use thr 4.8 liter chevy v8 and hybrid motors to help it off the line and under heavy load on the highway. Could see 30mpg being possible.
tcannon521
Fantasy
1301st
12/26/2018 6:17pm Edited Date/Time 12/26/2018 6:18pm
If you would like to see 2018 sales by manufacturer in America this is a great website to see it. It updates daily.

2018 USA Auto Retail

Post a reply to: Seen this Rivian electric truck?

The Latest