Seen this Rivian electric truck?

NorCal 50+
12/5/2018 9:11am Edited Date/Time 12/26/2018 6:18pm
I want to go electric for my next truck in a few years. This thing is interesting- but that front end is hideous. 400+ mile range and can go through three feet of water. 0-60 in three seconds claimed.

https://95octane.com/2018/11/29/rivian-r1t-electric-truck/
|
VicDaMoan03
12/5/2018 9:35am Edited Date/Time 12/5/2018 9:50am
Truck has a nice futuristic look IMO. I'm open to the concept of an electric vehicle but I won't be an early adopter. First I need them to make more advancements in the battery and range. Personally I would want to see them double their range before I jump in.

tcannon521
Fantasy
1301st
12/5/2018 10:13am
I’ve been following them for over 5 years. I think they have a great base with this truck. I especially like the motor on each wheel idea. This truck could probably do a 360 without moving forwards or backwards.
tcannon521
Fantasy
1301st
12/5/2018 10:25am
Truck has a nice futuristic look IMO. I'm open to the concept of an electric vehicle but I won't be an early adopter. First I need...
Truck has a nice futuristic look IMO. I'm open to the concept of an electric vehicle but I won't be an early adopter. First I need them to make more advancements in the battery and range. Personally I would want to see them double their range before I jump in.

Just curious, why do you want a truck to have 600+ miles of range?

Tesla’s currently charge at 120kw and that’s honestly sufficient but they are months away from announcing an increase to probably 200-250kw. This means charging will drop from 30-45 minutes to 15-25 minutes. Electrify America (Volkswagen Emmision Cheap Scandal) is building their network out at 350kw which they claim their 2020-2021 models will support. That will be even faster. Interestingly enough, Tesla has been against C-rates of more than 1.5 and Volkswagen is pushing it to 4.0 if they bring 350kw to 90kwh packs.

I guess I’m just curious why you would want to add an additional 800-1200 pounds plus materials and resources when charging is already convenient and about to be even better.
colintrax
Fantasy
2302nd
12/5/2018 11:26am
Just wanna point out it has a 4' bed...

The Shop

XXVoid MainXX
12/5/2018 11:44am
It looks like they plan on following the Tesla model. Start out with a more expensive luxury version (they also have an SUV) and then produce one more for the masses later. They bought the old Mitsubishi plant in Normal Illinois (just up the road from me) which is where I believe they will be producing them. GM and Ford better get their act together or they're going to get steamrolled.
mx617
12/5/2018 11:54am
That looks cool, ugly as sin but cool. I just bought a new truck this year adn opted for the 5.0 as I figured this will be about my last chance to buy a "big" v8. I am starting to feel like anything new I buy is going to be electric though, be it Alta (if they come back) or a street vehicle.
NorCal 50+
12/5/2018 1:04pm
Styling is so odd. Looks like the family truckster on the inside. The butt end is pretty butt ugly too. And like someone said, needs a longer bed.

VicDaMoan03
12/5/2018 2:43pm Edited Date/Time 12/5/2018 2:45pm
Truck has a nice futuristic look IMO. I'm open to the concept of an electric vehicle but I won't be an early adopter. First I need...

tcannon521 wrote:
Just curious, why do you want a truck to have 600+ miles of range? Tesla’s currently charge at 120kw and that’s honestly sufficient but they are...
Just curious, why do you want a truck to have 600+ miles of range?

Tesla’s currently charge at 120kw and that’s honestly sufficient but they are months away from announcing an increase to probably 200-250kw. This means charging will drop from 30-45 minutes to 15-25 minutes. Electrify America (Volkswagen Emmision Cheap Scandal) is building their network out at 350kw which they claim their 2020-2021 models will support. That will be even faster. Interestingly enough, Tesla has been against C-rates of more than 1.5 and Volkswagen is pushing it to 4.0 if they bring 350kw to 90kwh packs.

I guess I’m just curious why you would want to add an additional 800-1200 pounds plus materials and resources when charging is already convenient and about to be even better.
I can't just fill up my electric vehicle anywhere and go like I can gas or diesel. That's why I need a long range with an electric vehicle. Sometimes I forget to charge my phone which sucks but is ok because I can charge it almost anywhere. It would suck a lot more to forget to charge my truck and be stuck somewhere.
Shawn142
12/5/2018 3:37pm
I can't just fill up my electric vehicle anywhere and go like I can gas or diesel. That's why I need a long range with an...
I can't just fill up my electric vehicle anywhere and go like I can gas or diesel. That's why I need a long range with an electric vehicle. Sometimes I forget to charge my phone which sucks but is ok because I can charge it almost anywhere. It would suck a lot more to forget to charge my truck and be stuck somewhere.
While it's not as convenient as the corner gas station I bet you're closer to a Tesla SuperCharger than you think. The network is designed so you can go from one side of the country to the other by charger station hopping.
colintrax
Fantasy
2302nd
12/5/2018 3:44pm
Oh yeah I forgot, ain't got a latch for the tail gate. Theres a rocker switch to raise and lower it lol Grinning
TeamGreen
12/5/2018 3:55pm
If they’ll give Kia their wheels back and put a real bed on it?

I’m in.
VicDaMoan03
12/5/2018 4:30pm
I can't just fill up my electric vehicle anywhere and go like I can gas or diesel. That's why I need a long range with an...
Shawn142 wrote:
While it's not as convenient as the corner gas station I bet you're closer to a Tesla SuperCharger than you think. The network is designed so...
While it's not as convenient as the corner gas station I bet you're closer to a Tesla SuperCharger than you think. The network is designed so you can go from one side of the country to the other by charger station hopping.
How long do the superchargers take to "fill it up"? Eventually I think the infrastructure will get there but don't think it would work for someone like me not on the coast and not near a major city.
newmann
12/5/2018 5:40pm
colintrax wrote:
Just wanna point out it has a 4' bed...
But it does have a cool as f’ storage compartment for riding gear...

Needs a real bed, I agree.
newmann
12/5/2018 6:28pm
As far as range goes I want to go as far as possible between refueling or recharging. I hate stopping at the gas station with my 38 gallon tank. With all the motorcycles, junk and flood repair materials and belongings still hanging around my trucks usually sit in the driveway. I hate plugging the block heater in on my diesel during the winter, no doubt I wouldn’t be dragging stuff out there to plug an e truck in...Blush I would forget and my ass would be thumbing a ride.
newmann
12/5/2018 6:44pm
Just carry a generator in the box.
It would need a 38 gallon tank.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3682nd
12/5/2018 7:05pm
^^^ LOL. Counter productive. He should just get a gas mower. Would be less trouble and he's already buying gas. Fucking idiot.
newmann
12/5/2018 7:16pm Edited Date/Time 12/5/2018 7:17pm
-MAVERICK- wrote:
^^^ LOL. Counter productive. He should just get a gas mower. Would be less trouble and he's already buying gas. Fucking idiot.
Dude, that would be me with my electric truck and Alta...Laughing
TeamGreen
12/5/2018 7:56pm
Picture that cool-ass electric truck being towed home (as in “tow-truck!) from a vintage race with $100,000 dollars worth of collectible Factory Honda RC (1 motorcycle) in the bed...

That would be Newmann’s 1st and last time driving it.
tcannon521
Fantasy
1301st
12/5/2018 8:40pm
Shawn142 wrote:
While it's not as convenient as the corner gas station I bet you're closer to a Tesla SuperCharger than you think. The network is designed so...
How long do the superchargers take to "fill it up"? Eventually I think the infrastructure will get there but don't think it would work for someone...
How long do the superchargers take to "fill it up"? Eventually I think the infrastructure will get there but don't think it would work for someone like me not on the coast and not near a major city.
Shawn: I partially disagree on the convenience aspect. For the 80% of the population who doesn’t travel for their job, you basically plug it in at night once you get home or once a week depending on how far you’ve driven. It’s great never having to stop at gas stations and fill up 50 weeks a year. Charging at home is way more convenient.

Vic: I explained average Tesla charging times for long distance travel in my post earlier. Honestly, when you’re driving 400-600 miles stopping every 230-250 miles for 25-35 minutes (current charge times) isn’t bad and we usually arrive more fresh from the extra stop. I will say, the vehicle software notifies us our vehicle is ready to continue before we are. I hope the V3 Tesla superchargers will reduce stops by 10 minutes or more.

I wish the bed was longer. Hopefully they listen to the feedback from their launch and find another foot or two.
tcannon521
Fantasy
1301st
12/5/2018 8:42pm
Every red dot is an active supercharger location. Tesla has done an amazing job building this out so quickly.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3682nd
12/5/2018 9:47pm
-MAVERICK- wrote:
newmann wrote:
Dude, that would be me with my electric truck and Alta...Laughing
Get a load of this one.

Talisker
12/6/2018 4:40am
NorCal 50+ wrote:
Styling is so odd. Looks like the family truckster on the inside. The butt end is pretty butt ugly too. And like someone said, needs a...
Styling is so odd. Looks like the family truckster on the inside. The butt end is pretty butt ugly too. And like someone said, needs a longer bed.

Looks like a futuristic Lincoln Continental. No...better yet....it looks like the current Lincoln Continental.
early
Fantasy
2139th
12/6/2018 6:40am
tcannon521 wrote:
Shawn: I partially disagree on the convenience aspect. For the 80% of the population who doesn’t travel for their job, you basically plug it in at...
Shawn: I partially disagree on the convenience aspect. For the 80% of the population who doesn’t travel for their job, you basically plug it in at night once you get home or once a week depending on how far you’ve driven. It’s great never having to stop at gas stations and fill up 50 weeks a year. Charging at home is way more convenient.

Vic: I explained average Tesla charging times for long distance travel in my post earlier. Honestly, when you’re driving 400-600 miles stopping every 230-250 miles for 25-35 minutes (current charge times) isn’t bad and we usually arrive more fresh from the extra stop. I will say, the vehicle software notifies us our vehicle is ready to continue before we are. I hope the V3 Tesla superchargers will reduce stops by 10 minutes or more.

I wish the bed was longer. Hopefully they listen to the feedback from their launch and find another foot or two.
Stopping at the gas station every week or two is one of the most convenient things in my life Wink
newmann
12/6/2018 7:03am
This I like. What blows me away about the e-fantards is how rabid some of them are. I think they fit well in a certain environment which hinges mostly on the user. No different than here at the shop and home with tools, all the tool guys are going hard on cordless everything. I keep leaning towards air tools for the automotive shop and corded for woodworking projects around the house. Simply put, I just don't use them enough to warrant having a bunch of battery powered stuff sitting around for days, weeks or months on end. I go to grab one and it's dead, gotta wait for it to charge. Oh, it won't charge, now I'm dead in the water. Here at the shop, we always have air. If we are out of air, the whole shop is dead in the water. At home, I always have power. If I don't have power, I have bigger issues to deal with than worrying about cutting a board.

Mr. G
12/10/2018 3:59pm
Here is what they should do. And they should do this with 3/4 and 1 ton work trucks. Copy how trains work. Big diesel generator that powers electric motors. You can have the diesel run on natural gas if you like and you would get a TON of torque!
Jrewing
12/10/2018 11:43pm
Why don’t they make the roof and bonnet out of solar charging material?? Could make it look like carbon like I suppose .

Post a reply to: Seen this Rivian electric truck?

The Latest