Security cameras

dirtmike86
Edited Date/Time 12/29/2017 6:48pm
Ive been wanting to put up cameras around my house and have looked at a few at lowes and best buy but cant decide. I have a alarm system, plenty of weapons and a big dog so i think iam covered as far as safety goes but id like to put one in the garage and at my front gate so i can see whos trying bug me. Has anyone bought any from the places ive listed or have any suggestions?

Much ty
|
FastEddy
Fantasy
890th
12/28/2017 3:01pm Edited Date/Time 12/28/2017 3:09pm
I've been looking for one myself for both the front & back of my home.
The one I'm thinking of going with is the Nest Cam IQ.
It's supposed to be pretty decent from what I've heard.
It's got Mobile notification.
Person alerts.
Night vision.
Familiar face alerts (which sounds sorta neat).
HD Talk & Listen. Etc..
All the streaming video stays safe in a cloud.
You can get screen shots from it.

Here's a review of it.
This guy suggests the one that is cheaper. The regular nest cam.
In your case you'd want to get the outdoor model I'd assume.

https://youtu.be/DNUt8SDuXug
Knoby
12/28/2017 4:20pm
Check out Amcrest. They have impressed me with quality and cost. The only downside is you have to install it but they do have good customer service. I found them on Amazon
APLMAN99
12/28/2017 4:36pm
I don't suggest the NightOwl HD stuff that they sell at Costco.

Excellent picture quality and fairly easy setup, but using it remotely is a PITA. And while it says that it's compatible with Windows 10, you learn from their customer service folks that it depends on the device. As in Windows 10 running on a Surface Book, no go.

It's also very slow to access remotely, but to be honest I probably should have connected it to the cloud rather than just accessing the hard drive over the interwebs. Still, with both ends of the link being 100x100 connections, I would have expected not to have to wait 15-90 seconds for it to register commands.

If you were at the office viewing video directly from the hard drive, though, the picture quality was good enough to zoom in on license plates 50yds away and be able to read them.
dirtmike86
12/28/2017 5:10pm
FastEddy wrote:
I've been looking for one myself for both the front & back of my home. The one I'm thinking of going with is the Nest Cam...
Person alerts.
Night vision.
HD Talk & Listen. Etc..

Here's a review of it.

Yeah this was one i was considering. Ive seen some my friends have that are other brands and the quality is crap. They should have these things set up on display in the stores. Around here someone would just shoplift them.

The Shop

dirtmike86
12/28/2017 5:11pm Edited Date/Time 12/28/2017 5:23pm
Knoby wrote:
Check out Amcrest. They have impressed me with quality and cost. The only downside is you have to install it but they do have good customer...
Check out Amcrest. They have impressed me with quality and cost. The only downside is you have to install it but they do have good customer service. I found them on Amazon
Thanks ill look into it. I was going to install it myself anyways.
avidchimp
Fantasy
1182nd
12/29/2017 8:13am
I installed two Ring floodlight cams and a doorbell cam up at my house at Lake Arrowhead. The floodlight cams are awesome, and full 1080 video.
TXDirt
12/29/2017 9:01am
avidchimp wrote:
I installed two Ring floodlight cams and a doorbell cam up at my house at Lake Arrowhead. The floodlight cams are awesome, and full 1080 video.
Are you using the solar power connection for them?
avidchimp
Fantasy
1182nd
12/29/2017 9:07am
avidchimp wrote:
TXDirt wrote:
Are you using the solar power connection for them?
No, they are hardwired into existing flood light outlets. Supposedly they can run for up to 6 months with the battery option, but I have the flood light set pretty sensitive, so the front parking deck lights go on fairly often.

I've heard the solar option is great if it gets plenty of sunshine.
NorCal 50+
12/29/2017 11:15am
FastEddy wrote:
I've been looking for one myself for both the front & back of my home. The one I'm thinking of going with is the Nest Cam...
Person alerts.
Night vision.
HD Talk & Listen. Etc..

Here's a review of it.

My personal opinion is that it's crazy to put a face-recognizing surveillance camera in your house that uploads the footage into "the cloud" (which is just somebody else's computer). This is nothing more than a corporate/government wiretapping device IMHO.
I am looking at some cams, but I don't want anything connected to the Internet.
dirtmike86
12/29/2017 1:01pm Edited Date/Time 12/29/2017 1:08pm
FastEddy wrote:
Person alerts.
Night vision.
HD Talk & Listen. Etc..

Here's a review of it.

NorCal 50+ wrote:
My personal opinion is that it's crazy to put a face-recognizing surveillance camera in your house that uploads the footage into "the cloud" (which is just...
My personal opinion is that it's crazy to put a face-recognizing surveillance camera in your house that uploads the footage into "the cloud" (which is just somebody else's computer). This is nothing more than a corporate/government wiretapping device IMHO.
I am looking at some cams, but I don't want anything connected to the Internet.
Youre right. The more i looked into it the more it freaked me out. Bad enough they can look at my stupid face while iam writing this, dont need them watching me mow my lawn.
brlatm
12/29/2017 5:20pm
I installed some ONWOTE 1080P cameras that run on their own wifi/ip address. It all logs into a 1TB setup inside the house. I installed them all next to my motion activated flood lights. They have an app you can pull them up and watch the cameras from anywhere.

Total price was around $225 for everything and I installed them all in. Took me around half a day as I remounted my existing flood lights and installed gang boxes to plug into, then moved the lights over a foot or so.

Got everything on Amazon.
MxKing809
Fantasy
315th
12/29/2017 6:46pm
We got the Yi WiFi camera... and they’re great. The setup and app are easy to use, and they are high quality in terms of video quality.

On top of that, they’re only $39 bucks a pop.

Post a reply to: Security cameras

The Latest